PDA

View Full Version : Meercat Manor

cybercat
September 9th 06, 05:49 AM
Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?

I keep cackling madly.

They are sooooo cute!

-L.
September 9th 06, 08:03 AM
cybercat wrote:
> Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?
>
> I keep cackling madly.
>
> They are sooooo cute!

I have seen the ads but not the show - way cute!! I hope to catch a
rerun.

-L.

Kitkat
September 9th 06, 03:00 PM
-L. wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
>>Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?
>>
>>I keep cackling madly.
>>
>>They are sooooo cute!
>

> I have seen the ads but not the show - way cute!! I hope to catch a
> rerun.
>
> -L.

Animal Planet is like THE greatest TV channel in history.
IMNSHO!

:)
Pam

The Polish-Kraut
September 9th 06, 04:23 PM
>>>Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?
>>>
>>>I keep cackling madly.
>>>
>>>They are sooooo cute!

>> I have seen the ads but not the show - way cute!! I hope to catch a
>> rerun.
>>
>> -L.
>>

>Animal Planet is like THE greatest TV channel in history.
>IMNSHO!

I been watching it since it came on and think it one of the best shows
on right now. They are adorable.

It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got
bit by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one)
being evicted from the family and forced to live by herself.

Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespear (SP) lived
through the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if
Tosca and romeo Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own
group.

Animal Planet has a Meerkat Maze game at it's web site.

"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in

> It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got bit
by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one) being evicted
from the family and forced to live by herself.

Poor Shakespeare! Last night he was still recuperating. Did you see when
they thought Flower was going to kill her grandbabies so there would be more
resources for her own pups? That was a cliffhanger!

> Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespeare (SP) lived through
the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if Tosca and romeo
Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own group.

What made me howl: when Tosca sneaks away, long tail held high, to rendevous
with Carlos the interloper. They show a quick shot of their romancing (it
looked more like dance or play than mating!) then her returning, and the
other meercats chattering and fussing as they smelled her because, as the
narrator said, "she smelled of Carlos' cologne ..." hahahaha! Cologne
indeed! Then she keeps rolling on her back in submissive pose, the narrator
says to roll in dirt and get some of the Carlos smell off of her. Typical
teenager!

Another moment that made me laugh out loud: when Carlos led the other tribe
to confront the Whiskers tribe. And the Whiskers Tribe took the challenge
and all ran at them, growling and making fierce noises, tails high. And
Carlos and the other tribe RAN AWAYYYYYYYY.

These creatures are 12 inches tall when they stand up! One foot high!

hahahaha! I am totally smitten.

"Kitkat" > wrote :

> Animal Planet is like THE greatest TV channel in history.
> IMNSHO!
>
> :)
> Pam

hahaha! Except the animal cops shows that make me want to
kill people who abuse animals. Oooo.

Candace
September 9th 06, 09:16 PM
-L. wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?
> >
> > I keep cackling madly.
> >
> > They are sooooo cute!
>
> I have seen the ads but not the show - way cute!! I hope to catch a
> rerun.
>
> -L.

I've not seen the show either, just the ads, but we have a meerkat
colony at The Phoenix Zoo that is one of my favorite stops when going
there. They are the cutest little things and they always put on a
show. They're tiny little crowdpleasers.

Candace

Grawun
September 9th 06, 09:16 PM
I am so hooked on this show. I can't wait to see what happens on the
next show. Better than a soap opera because the characters are all real
and so very appealing. I hope Tosca is able to start her own family.

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
September 10th 06, 02:31 AM
i have followed the show throughout the whole season and can't wait until the
next one.
personally my favorite was the season finale where they aren't sure if
shakespeare survived the fight against big sai to save flowers latest litter.
i'm a dork. i think the show is a work of brilliance.

Lou B.
September 10th 06, 03:38 AM
I am a 47-y-o hetero man who cried when Shakespeare, after recuing his
baby brother, limped away after being bitten by that puff adder. I don't
think he made it.

Someone described the show as being "Father Knows Best", "The Osbournes"
and something else all rolled into one. That person was right on.

Best show on TV. I look forward to seeing the people who made it getting
some major awards.

- Lou

Magic Mood JeepŠ
September 10th 06, 03:59 AM
In ,
Lou B. purred:
> I am a 47-y-o hetero man who cried when Shakespeare, after recuing his
> baby brother, limped away after being bitten by that puff adder. I
> don't think he made it.
>
> Someone described the show as being "Father Knows Best", "The
> Osbournes" and something else all rolled into one. That person was
> right on.
>
> Best show on TV. I look forward to seeing the people who made it
> getting some major awards.
>
> - Lou

I think Shakespeare lived. There was an episode that I saw where they were
all harassing a snake with their spitting and barking, except for one (I
*think* they said it was Shakespeare), who stayed further away because it
had been bitten before.

Also - know who the narrator is???? LOTR (the movie versions) would
recognize him as Fat Hobbit LOL

Charlie Wilkes
September 10th 06, 07:21 AM
On 9 Sep 2006 19:10:05 +0200, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in
>>
>> It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got bit
>by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one) being evicted
>from the family and forced to live by herself.
>
>Poor Shakespeare! Last night he was still recuperating. Did you see when
>they thought Flower was going to kill her grandbabies so there would be more
>resources for her own pups? That was a cliffhanger!

This is driving me nuts, because I don't have TV out here on the rock,
much less cable. I will have to order it on DVD; I guess it is gonna
be released tomorrow. I think my tenants will enjoy it too.

Charlie

>> Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespeare (SP) lived through
>the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if Tosca and romeo
>Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own group.
>>

>What made me howl: when Tosca sneaks away, long tail held high, to rendevous
>with Carlos the interloper. They show a quick shot of their romancing (it
>looked more like dance or play than mating!) then her returning, and the
>other meercats chattering and fussing as they smelled her because, as the
>narrator said, "she smelled of Carlos' cologne ..." hahahaha! Cologne
>indeed! Then she keeps rolling on her back in submissive pose, the narrator
>says to roll in dirt and get some of the Carlos smell off of her. Typical
>teenager!
>
>Another moment that made me laugh out loud: when Carlos led the other tribe
>to confront the Whiskers tribe. And the Whiskers Tribe took the challenge
>and all ran at them, growling and making fierce noises, tails high. And
>Carlos and the other tribe RAN AWAYYYYYYYY.
>
>These creatures are 12 inches tall when they stand up! One foot high!
>
>hahahaha! I am totally smitten.

cybercat
September 10th 06, 09:32 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
> This is driving me nuts, because I don't have TV out here on the rock,
> much less cable. I will have to order it on DVD; I guess it is gonna
> be released tomorrow. I think my tenants will enjoy it too.

Charlie, it is a total hoot. You will love it.

sosessyithurts
September 10th 06, 11:20 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> This is driving me nuts, because I don't have TV out here on the rock,
> much less cable. I will have to order it on DVD; I guess it is gonna
> be released tomorrow. I think my tenants will enjoy it too.

Here they are on the shows companion web-site

http://tinyurl.com/hhjq6

I only subscribe to basic cable, I've never heard of a Meerkat

The Polish-Kraut
September 10th 06, 01:27 PM
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:31:06 GMT, "Elizabeth via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i have followed the show throughout the whole season and can't wait until the
>next one.
>personally my favorite was the season finale where they aren't sure if
>shakespeare survived the fight against big sai to save flowers latest litter.
>i'm a dork. i think the show is a work of brilliance.

There must be a lot of dorks out there (Me included) because I read
somewhere that Meerkat is on of their most popular shows along with
Animal Cops.

The DVD of it comes out this month.

Can not wait for the new season to start so can find out what happened
to poor Shakespear.

The Polish-Kraut
September 10th 06, 01:29 PM
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:38:33 -0700, (Lou B.) wrote:

>I am a 47-y-o hetero man who cried when Shakespeare, after recuing his
>baby brother, limped away after being bitten by that puff adder. I don't
>think he made it.

He made it from that but we have to wait til new season to see if he
made it through the Lazulli (SP) attack in the last show of last
season.

"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:38:33 -0700, (Lou B.) wrote:
>
> >I am a 47-y-o hetero man who cried when Shakespeare, after recuing his
> >baby brother, limped away after being bitten by that puff adder. I don't
> >think he made it.
>
> He made it from that but we have to wait til new season to see if he
> made it through the Lazulli (SP) attack in the last show of last
> season.

Oo! Don't tell too much! I am seeing the first season in reruns!

"sosessyithurts" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
> > This is driving me nuts, because I don't have TV out here on the rock,
> > much less cable. I will have to order it on DVD; I guess it is gonna
> > be released tomorrow. I think my tenants will enjoy it too.
>
> Here they are on the shows companion web-site

> http://tinyurl.com/hhjq6

Hey, that is a GREAT web site! Just what I needed, another reason
to blow off work!

> I only subscribe to basic cable, I've never heard of a Meerkat

Here is a good page from the site above that tells you a bit about
their individual personalities and gives you a glimpse of how the
narrator/story writer presents them:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html

Also, they are WAYYYY cuter moving. They move FAST
and their faces and eyes are so expressive.

The Polish-Kraut
September 11th 06, 03:07 PM
>> > This is driving me nuts, because I don't have TV out here on the rock,
>> > much less cable. I will have to order it on DVD; I guess it is gonna
>> > be released tomorrow. I think my tenants will enjoy it too.
>>
>> Here they are on the shows companion web-site
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/hhjq6
>>

>Hey, that is a GREAT web site! Just what I needed, another reason
>to blow off work!
>

>> I only subscribe to basic cable, I've never heard of a Meerkat
>>

>Here is a good page from the site above that tells you a bit about
>their individual personalities and gives you a glimpse of how the
>narrator/story writer presents them:
>
>http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html
>
>Also, they are WAYYYY cuter moving. They move FAST
>and their faces and eyes are so expressive.

When they run their tails stick straight in the air also. They look
like they should have one of these little orange flags tied on it.
:-)

The DVD of the first should be out pretty soon for anyone interested.
I think I shall order it.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

> >> Here they are on the shows companion web-site
> >
> >> http://tinyurl.com/hhjq6
> >>

> >Hey, that is a GREAT web site! Just what I needed, another reason
> >to blow off work!
> >

> >> I only subscribe to basic cable, I've never heard of a Meerkat
> >>

> >Here is a good page from the site above that tells you a bit about
> >their individual personalities and gives you a glimpse of how the
> >narrator/story writer presents them:
> >
> >http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html
> >
> >Also, they are WAYYYY cuter moving. They move FAST
> >and their faces and eyes are so expressive.
> >

> When they run their tails stick straight in the air also. They look
> like they should have one of these little orange flags tied on it.
> :-)
>
> The DVD of the first should be out pretty soon for anyone interested.
> I think I shall order it.

Yep, the tails are a major attraction! And their dead serious little faces,
huge sensitive looking eyes, and fast movements come together to be totally
endearing. I don't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did when
the Whiskers Tribe charged the invading tribe and they all ran at them,
tails high, growling fiercely, and galloping in an odd way that was supposed
to make them--all of them topping out at 12 inches tall on their tippy
toes--seem more fierce. Then when the other tribe took one look and ran away
en masse--I just howled.

meeee
September 11th 06, 11:17 PM
Wow this series just started in Aus....it is brilliant. Unfortunately I
never get to see all of it as Master Four has a serious dinosaur fetish
going at the moment, and insists he will die if he doesn't watch this show
that's on at the same time, different channel with some silly prat
pretending he's going back in time to rescue dinosaurs in incredibly
impractical and un-realistic ways. I keep hoping he will get eaten, but he
never does.

>>> Here they are on the shows companion web-site
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/hhjq6
>>>

>>Hey, that is a GREAT web site! Just what I needed, another reason
>>to blow off work!
>>

>>> I only subscribe to basic cable, I've never heard of a Meerkat
>>>

>>Here is a good page from the site above that tells you a bit about
>>their individual personalities and gives you a glimpse of how the
>>narrator/story writer presents them:
>>
>>http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html
>>
>>Also, they are WAYYYY cuter moving. They move FAST
>>and their faces and eyes are so expressive.
>>

> When they run their tails stick straight in the air also. They look
> like they should have one of these little orange flags tied on it.
> :-)
>
> The DVD of the first should be out pretty soon for anyone interested.
> I think I shall order it.
>

> My furbabies
>
> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

BT1971 via CatKB.com
September 12th 06, 06:09 PM
>There must be a lot of dorks out there (Me included) because I read
>somewhere that Meerkat is on of their most popular shows along with
>Animal Cops.

You can include me in that catagory. My cat actually seems to like the show
too. She doesn't actually pay much attention to the picture, more to the
sounds.

She also seems to like Stargate...Can't figure that one out.

regards

The Polish-Kraut
September 30th 06, 02:39 PM

>>> I have seen the ads but not the show - way cute!! I hope to catch a
>>> rerun.
>>>
>>> -L.
>>>

>>Animal Planet is like THE greatest TV channel in history.
>>IMNSHO!

>I been watching it since it came on and think it one of the best shows
>on right now. They are adorable.
>
>It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got
>bit by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one)
>being evicted from the family and forced to live by herself.
>
>Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespear (SP) lived
>through the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if
>Tosca and romeo Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own
>group.

Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote
> Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
> the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
> Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
> attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
> Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(

Yes, I feel the same way. But I think the writers do a good job of
keeping the melodrama out of it, and conveying that these losses
are just part of life in the wild. (They have to be careful, because
they "humanize" the meercats with these names, and tales of
"romance" etc., then the fate that awaits a certain number of them
befalls them, and the writers have created a bad situation:
making you love a character then killing them off!)

I LOVE the way they do the roaming males sneaking up on the
females of the other tribe. That music, and those little heads popping
up, then ducking down as they scurry closer.

It'a great show.

yngver
October 3rd 06, 07:37 PM
The Polish-Kraut wrote:

> >>Animal Planet is like THE greatest TV channel in history.
> >>IMNSHO!
>
> >I been watching it since it came on and think it one of the best shows
> >on right now. They are adorable.
> >
> >It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got
> >bit by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one)
> >being evicted from the family and forced to live by herself.
> >
> >Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespear (SP) lived
> >through the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if
> >Tosca and romeo Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own
> >group.
>

> Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
> the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
> Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
> attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
> Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(
>

> My furbabies
>
> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

I was sad too. I don't think they will turn up later--I noticed that
neither Shakespeare nor Tosca are in the opening credits this season,
whereas Mozart still is, as well as Youssarian. What I was hoping is
that Shakespeare might have teamed up with Tosca and maybe Carlos, but
unless they left the whole territory, the cameras should have captured
that. My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
don't know if I believe that.
-yngver

cybercat
October 3rd 06, 07:56 PM
"yngver" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
> transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
> other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
> don't know if I believe that.
> -yngver

OMG! This never occurred to me, and it is probably true.

For some reason, Shakespeare stole my heart too. Maybe
because he got bitten by the snake, survived, then disappeared
while protecting the babies.

yngver
October 3rd 06, 11:04 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "yngver" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> >My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
> > transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
> > other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
> > don't know if I believe that.
> > -yngver
> >

> OMG! This never occurred to me, and it is probably true.
>
> For some reason, Shakespeare stole my heart too. Maybe
> because he got bitten by the snake, survived, then disappeared
> while protecting the babies.

You know, I looked at the Animal Planet Web site for Meerkat Manor, and
they have a poll where you can vote for your favorite meerkcat. By far
everyone's favorite is Shakespeare! (I voted for him too!) I suppose
because he nearly died after being bitten--again, he was the brave one
and tried to oust the snake--and he was brave trying to defend the
burrow against the Lazuli. Anyway, none of the other meerkats have
anywhere near as many votes.

If this were a scripted tv show, then Shakespeare would be back
mid-season, you know? But unfortunately it's not, so I just think he
disappeared and is probably dead, just as they said. They have a lot of
cameras but if he got dragged off into the bush by some of the Lazuli,
what happened must not have been filmed.

Regardless, this has become such a popular show because of the way it
is written--they have personified the meerkats and are really good at
creating suspense about what will happen next! I am still sort of mad
at Youssarian for letting the one pup die, but if he is able to become
the dominant male in the Lazuli group, well, that should be pretty
interesting.
-yngver
-yngver

cybercat
October 4th 06, 01:18 AM
"yngver" > wrote
> You know, I looked at the Animal Planet Web site for Meerkat Manor, and
> they have a poll where you can vote for your favorite meerkcat. By far
> everyone's favorite is Shakespeare! (I voted for him too!) I suppose
> because he nearly died after being bitten--again, he was the brave one
> and tried to oust the snake--and he was brave trying to defend the
> burrow against the Lazuli. Anyway, none of the other meerkats have
> anywhere near as many votes.

I did not know that, cool.

> If this were a scripted tv show, then Shakespeare would be back
> mid-season, you know? But unfortunately it's not, so I just think he
> disappeared and is probably dead, just as they said. They have a lot of
> cameras but if he got dragged off into the bush by some of the Lazuli,
> what happened must not have been filmed.

Yes, I wonder. I assume he was killed. But would they drag him off
like that? I started watching late, were there any other instances of
meercats killed in "battle?"

> Regardless, this has become such a popular show because of the way it
> is written--they have personified the meerkats and are really good at
> creating suspense about what will happen next!

Yes. It is SO hilarious when the males sneak up on the females, and
when they all "attack" with that ridiculous gallop, tails held high! Did
you realize they are a foot and a half tall when they stand? The babies
are two inches long!

>I am still sort of mad
> at Youssarian for letting the one pup die, but if he is able to become
> the dominant male in the Lazuli group, well, that should be pretty
> interesting.

Youssaran clearly has some judgment problems!

The Polish-Kraut
October 4th 06, 01:43 AM

>> >I been watching it since it came on and think it one of the best shows
>> >on right now. They are adorable.
>> >
>> >It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got
>> >bit by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one)
>> >being evicted from the family and forced to live by herself.
>> >
>> >Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespear (SP) lived
>> >through the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if
>> >Tosca and romeo Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own
>> >group.
>>
>> Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
>> the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
>> Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
>> attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
>> Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(
>>
>> My furbabies
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

>I was sad too. I don't think they will turn up later--I noticed that
>neither Shakespeare nor Tosca are in the opening credits this season,
>whereas Mozart still is, as well as Youssarian. What I was hoping is
>that Shakespeare might have teamed up with Tosca and maybe Carlos, but
>unless they left the whole territory, the cameras should have captured
>that. My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
>transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
>other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
>don't know if I believe that.

I think when you spend as much time with them as they do recording
them that you would get to know most of them and be able to tell them
apart from each other kind of like a person who has a lot of cats.
IMHO

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Charlie Wilkes
October 4th 06, 04:24 AM
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 20:18:20 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"yngver" > wrote
>> You know, I looked at the Animal Planet Web site for Meerkat Manor, and
>> they have a poll where you can vote for your favorite meerkcat. By far
>> everyone's favorite is Shakespeare! (I voted for him too!) I suppose
>> because he nearly died after being bitten--again, he was the brave one
>> and tried to oust the snake--and he was brave trying to defend the
>> burrow against the Lazuli. Anyway, none of the other meerkats have
>> anywhere near as many votes.
>
>I did not know that, cool.
>

>> If this were a scripted tv show, then Shakespeare would be back
>> mid-season, you know? But unfortunately it's not, so I just think he
>> disappeared and is probably dead, just as they said. They have a lot of
>> cameras but if he got dragged off into the bush by some of the Lazuli,
>> what happened must not have been filmed.
>
>Yes, I wonder. I assume he was killed. But would they drag him off
>like that? I started watching late, were there any other instances of
>meercats killed in "battle?"
>

>> Regardless, this has become such a popular show because of the way it
>> is written--they have personified the meerkats and are really good at
>> creating suspense about what will happen next!
>
>Yes. It is SO hilarious when the males sneak up on the females, and
>when they all "attack" with that ridiculous gallop, tails held high! Did
>you realize they are a foot and a half tall when they stand? The babies
>are two inches long!
>
>>I am still sort of mad
>> at Youssarian for letting the one pup die, but if he is able to become
>> the dominant male in the Lazuli group, well, that should be pretty
>> interesting.
>
>Youssaran clearly has some judgment problems!

I am dying to see this program. Season 1 will be out on DVD on Oct.
9. I am going to order it as soon as it is available.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in my 3d world slum...

Charlie

October 4th 06, 06:37 AM
On 3 Oct 2006 11:37:42 -0700, "yngver" > wrote:

>> >I been watching it since it came on and think it one of the best shows
>> >on right now. They are adorable.
>> >
>> >It does have its sad points though such as when Shakespear (SP) got
>> >bit by the snake and almost died or Tosca (I think she is the one)
>> >being evicted from the family and forced to live by herself.
>> >
>> >Can not wait for the new season to see if Shakespear (SP) lived
>> >through the rival attack where he was gaurding Flower's babies or if
>> >Tosca and romeo Carlos from another tribe hook up to start their own
>> >group.
>>

>> Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
>> the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
>> Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
>> attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
>> Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(
>>

>> My furbabies
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
>
>I was sad too. I don't think they will turn up later--I noticed that
>neither Shakespeare nor Tosca are in the opening credits this season,
>whereas Mozart still is, as well as Youssarian. What I was hoping is
>that Shakespeare might have teamed up with Tosca and maybe Carlos, but
>unless they left the whole territory, the cameras should have captured
>that. My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
>transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
>other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
>don't know if I believe that.

Bah. When you have been studying animals long enough, you learn what
identifies them. For example, in lions it's apparently the dots
among the whiskers, which are unique to each cat. Those meercats have
some more easily identified distinctive markings to them. I was
admiring the one with the shoulder patches, myself. Mitch, I think it
is. But he's highly distinctive.

Unfortunately, I personally believe that Shakespeare died defending
the pups. Either during the attack, or injured badly enough that he
didn't survive to come back above ground. Too bad, since he did seem
to have the makings of an alpha male.

I have to admit, this show is helping to shed some light on those
things every one "assumes" about how animals behave. For example, we
are told, repeatedly, that the alphas reserve breeding rights in the
group. And yet, Tosca, Mozart, and Daisy have all had litters. And
the subordinate males are off trying to seduce any female they can
find outside the group. It seems more accurate to say that the alphas
reserve the right to kill off any pups from subordinates, rather than
that they stop the subordinates from mating. And if it's true in
meercats, it makes me wonder how many other animals do the same thing.
Horses do, from what I have heard. A surprisingly large number of
mares (either 30 or 70 percent, I forget which it was) sneak off to
mate with a stallion that is not the herd leader.

Rebecca

cybercat
October 4th 06, 12:26 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
> I am dying to see this program.

You are such a writer, I know you will appreciate the
writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"

>Season 1 will be out on DVD on Oct.
> 9. I am going to order it as soon as it is available.
>
> Meanwhile I'm stuck in my 3d world slum...

hahaaa! Poor Charlie. ;) I think lots of people
would love to be out there in your "slum"

Why not satellite TV? An old friend of mine
has been getting into that lately. It sounds
pretty cool, and cheap after the initial outlay.
I guess you can actually scavenge the dish
and parts and just pay for the service.
You might ask our techhead friend. :D

October 4th 06, 12:29 PM
> wrote
> I have to admit, this show is helping to shed some light on those
> things every one "assumes" about how animals behave. For example, we
> are told, repeatedly, that the alphas reserve breeding rights in the
> group. And yet, Tosca, Mozart, and Daisy have all had litters. And
> the subordinate males are off trying to seduce any female they can
> find outside the group. It seems more accurate to say that the alphas
> reserve the right to kill off any pups from subordinates, rather than
> that they stop the subordinates from mating. And if it's true in
> meercats, it makes me wonder how many other animals do the same thing.
> Horses do, from what I have heard. A surprisingly large number of
> mares (either 30 or 70 percent, I forget which it was) sneak off to
> mate with a stallion that is not the herd leader.

Interesting observations.

yngver
October 4th 06, 04:38 PM
wrote:

> >> Just seen the new season opener and poor Tosca whom was evicted from
> >> the group disappeared over the "winter" and is most likely dead and
> >> Shakespear whom was protecting Flower's babies during the Lazuli
> >> attack on there den was gone also and not known what happened to him.
> >> Hope they both turn up in later episodes and end up ok. :-(
> >>

> >> My furbabies
> >>
> >> http://members.aol.com/larrystark/
> >
> >I was sad too. I don't think they will turn up later--I noticed that
> >neither Shakespeare nor Tosca are in the opening credits this season,
> >whereas Mozart still is, as well as Youssarian. What I was hoping is
> >that Shakespeare might have teamed up with Tosca and maybe Carlos, but
> >unless they left the whole territory, the cameras should have captured
> >that. My husband cynically says that except for the ones wearing radio
> >transponders, the researchers probably can't tell one meerkat from the
> >other so how would they know what really happened to Shakespeare but I
> >don't know if I believe that.
>
> Bah. When you have been studying animals long enough, you learn what
> identifies them. For example, in lions it's apparently the dots
> among the whiskers, which are unique to each cat. Those meercats have
> some more easily identified distinctive markings to them. I was
> admiring the one with the shoulder patches, myself. Mitch, I think it
> is. But he's highly distinctive.
>
> Unfortunately, I personally believe that Shakespeare died defending
> the pups. Either during the attack, or injured badly enough that he
> didn't survive to come back above ground. Too bad, since he did seem
> to have the makings of an alpha male.
>
> I have to admit, this show is helping to shed some light on those
> things every one "assumes" about how animals behave. For example, we
> are told, repeatedly, that the alphas reserve breeding rights in the
> group. And yet, Tosca, Mozart, and Daisy have all had litters. And
> the subordinate males are off trying to seduce any female they can
> find outside the group. It seems more accurate to say that the alphas
> reserve the right to kill off any pups from subordinates, rather than
> that they stop the subordinates from mating. And if it's true in
> meercats, it makes me wonder how many other animals do the same thing.
> Horses do, from what I have heard. A surprisingly large number of
> mares (either 30 or 70 percent, I forget which it was) sneak off to
> mate with a stallion that is not the herd leader.
>
> Rebecca

I went to the Animal Planet Web site and read a bit more about how the
show is made. One reader said the animals are marked with dye to keep
track of which group they are in, but I haven't really noticed that. I
assumed those were natural markings.

However--and I don't think this is really a spoiler, but if you don't
want to know what anything more about Shakespeare and Tosca, quit
reading now:

According to the producers, they don't really know what happened to
them. They didn't find their bodies, so it's possible they lived. But
just as was stated on the program, likely Tosca did not survive the
winter by herself, and it's quite possible Shakespeare died in the
burrow defending the pups. It's also possible he got fed up with the
Whiskers group and went off the reserve to join a different group of
meerkats that is not being filmed. Meerkats do die defending pups, so
that's what the writers decided to imply. All they know for certain is
that he disappeared some time shortly after the attack by the Lazuli.
However, since the Lazuli didn't kill the pups, one assumes Shakespeare
successfully defended them, even though he might have died later of
wounds.

Perhaps not a very satisfying story but I like knowing that the writers
and producers are trying to keep everything factual, and when they
don't know what happened, they say so. In the show, the narrator (Sean
Astin) just says that Shakespeare hasn't been seen and neither has
Tosca, and likely they died. That's just the truth.

Whether the producers could be holding out and neglect to mention that
some time later, they did spot one of the missing meerkats, I don't
know.
-yngver

Charlie Wilkes
October 4th 06, 10:29 PM
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:26:34 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
>> I am dying to see this program.
>
>You are such a writer, I know you will appreciate the
>writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
>and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
>the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
>voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
>credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"

???

I thought it was Bill Nighy.

>>Season 1 will be out on DVD on Oct.
>> 9. I am going to order it as soon as it is available.
>>
>> Meanwhile I'm stuck in my 3d world slum...
>>

>hahaaa! Poor Charlie. ;) I think lots of people
>would love to be out there in your "slum"
>
>Why not satellite TV? An old friend of mine
>has been getting into that lately. It sounds
>pretty cool, and cheap after the initial outlay.
>I guess you can actually scavenge the dish
>and parts and just pay for the service.
>You might ask our techhead friend. :D

Yeah, it's easy enough to get. So far I have held off because it's
another monthly bill and I wouldn't use it very much. I might decide
to get it at some point.

Charlie

yngver
October 4th 06, 10:59 PM
On Oct 4, 6:26 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
>
> > I am dying to see this program.You are such a writer, I know you will appreciate the
> writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
> and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
> the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
> voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
> credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"

I think most people would think of Samwise, however. I did recognize
his voice right away and I think he makes a good narrator--appealing to
both children and adults.
-yngver

cybercat
October 5th 06, 01:55 AM
"yngver" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Oct 4, 6:26 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
>>
>> > I am dying to see this program.You are such a writer, I know you will
>> > appreciate the
>> writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
>> and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
>> the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
>> voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
>> credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"
>
> I think most people would think of Samwise, however.

So Sean did the voice for the Hobbit film? If I recall who
Samwise is ... and I am not sure I do ...?

I had never heard Sean Astin's voice, it was only vaguely familiar
because of its similarities to his father John's, who I only knew
from reruns of the original Addams Family!

October 5th 06, 01:56 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:26:34 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
>>> I am dying to see this program.
>>
>>You are such a writer, I know you will appreciate the
>>writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
>>and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
>>the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
>>voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
>>credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"
>
> ???
>
> I thought it was Bill Nighy.

Maybe they use different ones? That is what I saw on the
credits, but who knows ....

> Yeah, it's easy enough to get. So far I have held off because it's
> another monthly bill and I wouldn't use it very much. I might decide
> to get it at some point.

It's usually better to have something better to do than watch tv for sure.

I almost always watch television when doing something else. Something
boring.

Matthew
October 5th 06, 02:03 AM
Frodo best friend how could you for get that
http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_cast.html
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "yngver" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>

>> On Oct 4, 6:26 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote

>>> writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
>>> and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
>>> the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
>>> voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
>>> credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"
>>
>> I think most people would think of Samwise, however.
>
> So Sean did the voice for the Hobbit film? If I recall who
> Samwise is ... and I am not sure I do ...?
>
> I had never heard Sean Astin's voice, it was only vaguely familiar
> because of its similarities to his father John's, who I only knew
> from reruns of the original Addams Family!

October 5th 06, 02:52 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Frodo best friend how could you for get that

It's been years!

yngver
October 5th 06, 07:45 PM
On Oct 4, 7:55 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "yngver" > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>

> > On Oct 4, 6:26 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote

> >> writing! It's partly the creatures that is so appealing,
> >> and partly the way they are presented. Sean Astin,
> >> the son of John Astin and Patty Duke, narrates. His
> >> voice sounded somehow familiar, then I saw the
> >> credits and said, "aha! Gomez!"
>
> > I think most people would think of Samwise, however.So Sean did the voice for the Hobbit film? If I recall who
> Samwise is ... and I am not sure I do ...?
>
> I had never heard Sean Astin's voice, it was only vaguely familiar
> because of its similarities to his father John's, who I only knew
> from reruns of the original Addams Family!
>
> --
Sean Astin did more than the voice of Samwise in the Lord of the Rings;
he played the part and in the opinion of some should have been
nominated for an Oscar for that role. Who could watch him cry out "I
can't carry the ring, Master Frodo, but I can carry you!" and not get
all teary-eyed?

I never thought of his voice being all that similar to his father's,
perhaps because Sean Astin has been an actor in his own right since
childhood and I've seen him in quite a few movies and tv shows. Most
recently he did a rather touching death scene in "24"--nowhere near as
touching as his Samwise role, of course.
-yngver

cybercat
October 5th 06, 10:35 PM
"yngver" > wrote
>> --
> Sean Astin did more than the voice of Samwise in the Lord of the Rings;
> he played the part and in the opinion of some should have been
> nominated for an Oscar for that role. Who could watch him cry out "I
> can't carry the ring, Master Frodo, but I can carry you!" and not get
> all teary-eyed?

Really? I had no idea. I read the Tolkien Trilogy and The Hobbit
years ago, but have never been interested in the movies.

> I never thought of his voice being all that similar to his father's

It is. I don't think I had ever heard Sean's voice until I saw Meercat
Manor, and when I did, I heard this familiar tone, the feeling was
unmistakeable. Then when I saw the credits, I realized what it was.

> perhaps because Sean Astin has been an actor in his own right since
> childhood and I've seen him in quite a few movies and tv shows. Most
> recently he did a rather touching death scene in "24"--nowhere near as
> touching as his Samwise role, of course.
> -yngver

I bet I have no idea what he even looks like. He surely did start life
with actors' genes!

Matthew
October 5th 06, 10:39 PM
OMG HOW DARE YOU ;-)
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "yngver" > wrote
>>> --
>> Sean Astin did more than the voice of Samwise in the Lord of the Rings;
>> he played the part and in the opinion of some should have been
>> nominated for an Oscar for that role. Who could watch him cry out "I
>> can't carry the ring, Master Frodo, but I can carry you!" and not get
>> all teary-eyed?
>
> Really? I had no idea. I read the Tolkien Trilogy and The Hobbit
> years ago, but have never been interested in the movies.
>

>> I never thought of his voice being all that similar to his father's
>
> It is. I don't think I had ever heard Sean's voice until I saw Meercat
> Manor, and when I did, I heard this familiar tone, the feeling was
> unmistakeable. Then when I saw the credits, I realized what it was.
>

>> perhaps because Sean Astin has been an actor in his own right since
>> childhood and I've seen him in quite a few movies and tv shows. Most
>> recently he did a rather touching death scene in "24"--nowhere near as
>> touching as his Samwise role, of course.
>> -yngver
>>

> I bet I have no idea what he even looks like. He surely did start life
> with actors' genes!

cybercat
October 5th 06, 10:47 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> OMG HOW DARE YOU ;-)

hahaha!

Hey, Matthew, have you heard from Barry?

He has disappeared!

He is not answering emails.

He is not even answering his phone!

*sniff*

I think he is trying to tell me something ...

: \

Oh, wait! Isn't this the time of year he jets off
to his villa in the South of France?

:

Matthew
October 5th 06, 10:52 PM
He probably is working or maybe spending sometime down at a red light
having fun he he

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> OMG HOW DARE YOU ;-)
>
> hahaha!
>
> Hey, Matthew, have you heard from Barry?
>
> He has disappeared!
>
> He is not answering emails.
>
> He is not even answering his phone!
>
> *sniff*
>
> I think he is trying to tell me something ...
>
> : \
>
> Oh, wait! Isn't this the time of year he jets off
> to his villa in the South of France?
>
> :

cybercat
October 5th 06, 10:57 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> He probably is working or maybe spending sometime down at a red light
> having fun he he

Well what kind of fun can he have at a red light? ;)

If you hear from him, email me so I can figure out if he is avoiding
me.

:(

Matthew
October 5th 06, 10:59 PM
red light district hence red light

he is not answering me I have sent several emails
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> He probably is working or maybe spending sometime down at a red light
>> having fun he he
>>

> Well what kind of fun can he have at a red light? ;)
>
> If you hear from him, email me so I can figure out if he is avoiding
> me.
>
> :(

cybercat
October 6th 06, 12:17 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> red light district hence red light
>
> he is not answering me I have sent several emails

Well, I'm worried about him. Thanks for trying.

I hope he is okay.

Matthew
October 6th 06, 12:24 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> red light district hence red light
>>
>> he is not answering me I have sent several emails
>

> Well, I'm worried about him. Thanks for trying.
>
> I hope he is okay.
He will show up you know him ;-)

cybercat
October 6th 06, 12:51 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>> red light district hence red light
>>>
>>> he is not answering me I have sent several emails
>>

>> Well, I'm worried about him. Thanks for trying.
>>
>> I hope he is okay.
> He will show up you know him ;-)

I hope so.

yngver
October 6th 06, 07:20 PM
On Oct 5, 4:35 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "yngver" > wrote
>
> >> --
> > Sean Astin did more than the voice of Samwise in the Lord of the Rings;
> > he played the part and in the opinion of some should have been
> > nominated for an Oscar for that role. Who could watch him cry out "I
> > can't carry the ring, Master Frodo, but I can carry you!" and not get
> > all teary-eyed?Really? I had no idea. I read the Tolkien Trilogy and The Hobbit
> years ago, but have never been interested in the movies.

My favorite book and my favorite movie, or trilogy of movies. Peter
Jackson did a remarkable job making a film of a fantasy trilogy that
complex.

> > I never thought of his voice being all that similar to his father'sIt is. I don't think I had ever heard Sean's voice until I saw Meercat
> Manor, and when I did, I heard this familiar tone, the feeling was
> unmistakeable. Then when I saw the credits, I realized what it was.
>
> > perhaps because Sean Astin has been an actor in his own right since
> > childhood and I've seen him in quite a few movies and tv shows. Most
> > recently he did a rather touching death scene in "24"--nowhere near as
> > touching as his Samwise role, of course.
> > -yngverI bet I have no idea what he even looks like. He surely did start life
> with actors' genes!

I'd say Sean Astin takes more after Patty Duke in appearance. He's
short, for one thing (like all the actors who played hobbits, except
perhaps Andy Serkis, who played Smeagol), and I think he has her mouth
and eyes. Although I can't remember if John Astin was short too, and I
don't recall what he looked like without the mustache. But if you saw
Sean Astin you would recognize him as Patty Duke's son.
-yngver

krazy
October 11th 06, 02:34 PM
>Am I just overworked, or is this completely adorable?
>
>I keep cackling madly.
>
>They are sooooo cute!

OH OH

Mozart had a "THING" with a roving male from a rival group. Plus
Carlos showed up again also looking for a female.

Looks like see might be evicted from the group by Fower like Tosca
was.

One of the saddest things on the show I seen so far was when the
Lazulli baby was killed by the Commando meercat group. I could not
watch that. If I was a camera person for some of these shows I think
I would end up trying to stop some of this stuff that goes on when I
would be filming!!

:-(

cybercat
October 11th 06, 07:06 PM
"krazy" > wrote
> One of the saddest things on the show I seen so far was when the
> Lazulli baby was killed by the Commando meercat group. I could not
> watch that.

That made me so uncomfortable, her little cries for help and all the
gang descending upon her. They did not show anything. Just the gang
descending and then the narrator said, "it was over quickly." He then
explained that although it was terrible, it was simply a harsh part of life
there in the desert where the meercats compete for scarce resources.
I guess they are "programmed" to not only kill the babies of other
tribes, but those of their own kids if they are the dominant female.

The one saving grace is that the other pup was not harmed, and it
was so sweet when they showed him getting extra loving and cuddling
from Flower.

But yes, I had my first feeling like, "Maybe I should not watch this
show."

There has to be something wrong with anyone who can see baby
ANYTHINGS killed.

yngver
October 13th 06, 07:02 PM
On Oct 11, 1:06 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "krazy" > wrote
>
> > One of the saddest things on the show I seen so far was when the
> > Lazulli baby was killed by the Commando meercat group. I could not
> > watch that.That made me so uncomfortable, her little cries for help and all the
> gang descending upon her. They did not show anything. Just the gang
> descending and then the narrator said, "it was over quickly." He then
> explained that although it was terrible, it was simply a harsh part of life
> there in the desert where the meercats compete for scarce resources.
> I guess they are "programmed" to not only kill the babies of other
> tribes, but those of their own kids if they are the dominant female.

It seemed to me I saw the Commando meerkats running off with a limp pup
in their teeth (presumably dead), but I admit I tried not to look.

> The one saving grace is that the other pup was not harmed, and it
> was so sweet when they showed him getting extra loving and cuddling
> from Flower.

That was the Lazuli dominant female, Cazanna, comforting her remaining
pup, Squeak. (Bubble was the one that was killed). Funny how last
season the Lazuli were the enemy, and this season with the Lazuli
dominant male dead, and with one of his only two remaining pups killed
by the Commandoes, you start to feel sorry for the Lazuli and Cazanna.
Since she can't mate with any of the other males in the Lazuli, I'm
thinking maybe one of the Whiskers group, probably Youssarian, might
take over the Lazuli. Or who knows, maybe Shakespeare will show up with
the Lazuli at some point.

> But yes, I had my first feeling like, "Maybe I should not watch this
> show."
>
> There has to be something wrong with anyone who can see baby
> ANYTHINGS killed.

I also told my husband afterward, I don't know if I can watch this show
anymore. But of course I will. In a way I think it was worse last year
when Youssarian left one of the Whiskers pups above ground after
deciding to try to move burrows, and it died. In that case they did
show the dead pup lying there abandoned.
-yngver

Brian Beuchaw
October 13th 06, 07:41 PM
yngver > wrote:
> On Oct 11, 1:06 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "krazy" > wrote
>>
>> There has to be something wrong with anyone who can see baby
>> ANYTHINGS killed.
>>
> I also told my husband afterward, I don't know if I can watch this show
> anymore. But of course I will. In a way I think it was worse last year
> when Youssarian left one of the Whiskers pups above ground after
> deciding to try to move burrows, and it died. In that case they did
> show the dead pup lying there abandoned.

People, it's nature, that's the way it is... It's so funny to read these
posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too and it's not *fun* to watch
dead things or things getting killed, but that's the way nature works).
In our modern society, we've apparently become so insulated from death
that it seems unnatural and horrible to us (since about all the death we
see is airbrushed/made-up embalmed bodies in pretty caskets), but it
happens all the time to all kinds of creatures, everywhere in the world...
I'd rather watch a nature show with real deaths than the billions of other
TV shows with people killing other people in hideous ways (even though
those are fake), mainly because that crap is so gratuitous and over the
top that it's ridiculous rather than entertaining most of the time...

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

cybercat
October 13th 06, 09:12 PM
"Brian Beuchaw" > wrote in message
> yngver > wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 1:06 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> "krazy" > wrote
>>>
>>> There has to be something wrong with anyone who can see baby
>>> ANYTHINGS killed.
>>>
>> I also told my husband afterward, I don't know if I can watch this show
>> anymore. But of course I will. In a way I think it was worse last year
>> when Youssarian left one of the Whiskers pups above ground after
>> deciding to try to move burrows, and it died. In that case they did
>> show the dead pup lying there abandoned.
>
> People, it's nature, that's the way it is... It's so funny to read these
> posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too and it's not *fun* to watch
> dead things or things getting killed, but that's the way nature works).
> In our modern society, we've apparently become so insulated from death

<snip blah blah blah>

Everyone knows this, bonehead. I said as much in my post.

cybercat
October 13th 06, 09:37 PM
"Brian Beuchaw" > wrote
read these
> posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too

I imagine that you have been told at least once before that you are an
asshole, right?

The compulsion to elevate yourself above anyone you can, which you
demonstrate here by:

a. Stating the obvious in a snide tone as though it were your Own Personal
Discovery and

b. Resorting to a spelling flame

tell me that your um, manhood is very likely err, sadly underendowed.

Good luck with that.

krazy
October 14th 06, 11:42 PM
Poor mozart lost her babies (Miscarriaged) due to the stress of being
evicted by Flower and the cold but Flower had her's. Hopefully Mozart
can get back in the group and learned to stay away from the other
males!! Of course that depends if Flower's small group (They got
seperated) can keep from being done in by the rival group which was
working their hardest to dig them out of the hole they took refuge
in!! Hopefully the main part of the Whiskers group will show up and
save them!!

cybercat
October 15th 06, 12:27 AM
"krazy" > wrote in message

> Poor mozart lost her babies (Miscarriaged) due to the stress of being
> evicted by Flower and the cold but Flower had her's.

Yeah, poor girl.

Hopefully Mozart
> can get back in the group and learned to stay away from the other
> males!!

Well, she may be learning. At least she chased Carlos away when he
tried to mate with her again! She can't show up at Mama's "smelling of
Carlos' colgne!" as the narrator once said.

Of course that depends if Flower's small group (They got
> seperated) can keep from being done in by the rival group which was
> working their hardest to dig them out of the hole they took refuge
> in!! Hopefully the main part of the Whiskers group will show up and
> save them!!

Yeah, that is really scary. It has got to be hard for the photographers
not to step in at some times.

yngver
October 17th 06, 05:03 PM
On Oct 13, 3:12 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Brian Beuchaw" > wrote in ...
>

> > yngver > wrote:

> >> I also told my husband afterward, I don't know if I can watch this show
> >> anymore. But of course I will. In a way I think it was worse last year
> >> when Youssarian left one of the Whiskers pups above ground after
> >> deciding to try to move burrows, and it died. In that case they did
> >> show the dead pup lying there abandoned.
>
> > People, it's nature, that's the way it is... It's so funny to read these
> > posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too and it's not *fun* to watch
> > dead things or things getting killed, but that's the way nature works).
> > In our modern society, we've apparently become so insulated from death<snip blah blah blah>
>
> Everyone knows this, bonehead. I said as much in my post.

Yes, we know this. It's just that on Meerkat Manor, the deaths are a
little harder to watch because the meerkats are personified and given
distinct personalities, so that the viewers become more attached to
them. That's what makes it such a popular and compelling show.

There are other shows on Animal Planet that are hard to watch--the
rescue programs that show animals being saved from deplorable
conditions--and some have been so neglected they must be put
down--those I can only watch for a few minutes.
-yngver

Brian Beuchaw
October 17th 06, 07:19 PM
cybercat > wrote:

> "Brian Beuchaw" > wrote in message
>> yngver > wrote:

>>> I also told my husband afterward, I don't know if I can watch this show
>>> anymore. But of course I will. In a way I think it was worse last year
>>> when Youssarian left one of the Whiskers pups above ground after
>>> deciding to try to move burrows, and it died. In that case they did
>>> show the dead pup lying there abandoned.
>>
>> People, it's nature, that's the way it is... It's so funny to read these
>> posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too and it's not *fun* to watch
>> dead things or things getting killed, but that's the way nature works).
>> In our modern society, we've apparently become so insulated from death
>

> <snip blah blah blah>
>
> Everyone knows this, bonehead. I said as much in my post.

Yeah, you made a one-line comment in one of your 20-30 posts in this
thread - sorry I missed it, otherwise I wouldn't have posted mine since it
so clearly duplicates yours.

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

Brian Beuchaw
October 17th 06, 07:22 PM
yngver > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 3:12 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

>> > People, it's nature, that's the way it is... It's so funny to read these
>> > posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too and it's not *fun* to watch
>> > dead things or things getting killed, but that's the way nature works).
>> > In our modern society, we've apparently become so insulated from death<snip blah blah blah>
>>
>> Everyone knows this, bonehead. I said as much in my post.
>
> Yes, we know this. It's just that on Meerkat Manor, the deaths are a
> little harder to watch because the meerkats are personified and given
> distinct personalities, so that the viewers become more attached to
> them. That's what makes it such a popular and compelling show.

The writers have done an excellent job anthropomorphizing them, I have to
admit.

> There are other shows on Animal Planet that are hard to watch--the
> rescue programs that show animals being saved from deplorable
> conditions--and some have been so neglected they must be put
> down--those I can only watch for a few minutes.
> -yngver

I can't watch any of those because the subject matter is so nasty and
deplorable. To me, that's a whole different thing than just seeing nature
by itself take its course.

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

Brian Beuchaw
October 17th 06, 07:26 PM
cybercat > wrote:

> "Brian Beuchaw" > wrote
> read these
>> posts (yeah, we watch Meer*k*at Manor :-) too
>
> I imagine that you have been told at least once before that you are an
> asshole, right?

Yep, lots. You can probably see evidence on Google. But if it's not
there, trust me that in real life, it's been brought up...

> The compulsion to elevate yourself above anyone you can, which you
> demonstrate here by:
>
> a. Stating the obvious in a snide tone as though it were your Own Personal
> Discovery and

Nope, no such snide tone, just amusement that in our times, some find it
hard to watch nature doing what it's done for millions of years.

> b. Resorting to a spelling flame

Oh, trust me, that wasn't a flame - you didn't see the smiley? If it was
a flame, you would've known. :-)

> tell me that your um, manhood is very likely err, sadly underendowed.
>
> Good luck with that.

Damn, you're almost miraculous in your ability to determine physical
characteristics and their accompanying mental side-effects by one Usenet
post - you should have one of those TV talk shows, you'd make millions!

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

yngver
October 17th 06, 11:01 PM
On Oct 17, 1:22 pm, Brian Beuchaw > wrote:
> yngver > wrote:
> > On Oct 13, 3:12 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >> "Brian Beuchaw" > wrote in ...

> >> Everyone knows this, bonehead. I said as much in my post.
>
> > Yes, we know this. It's just that on Meerkat Manor, the deaths are a
> > little harder to watch because the meerkats are personified and given
> > distinct personalities, so that the viewers become more attached to
> > them. That's what makes it such a popular and compelling show.The writers have done an excellent job anthropomorphizing them, I have to
> admit.
>
> > There are other shows on Animal Planet that are hard to watch--the
> > rescue programs that show animals being saved from deplorable
> > conditions--and some have been so neglected they must be put
> > down--those I can only watch for a few minutes.
> > -yngverI can't watch any of those because the subject matter is so nasty and
> deplorable. To me, that's a whole different thing than just seeing nature
> by itself take its course.
>
> brian
> --
I agree, it is worse to see what harm human beings inflict on animals
than what happens in the wild. Or in this case, on a wildlife preserve.

But as I said, what makes Meerkat Manor different is the way the
animals were given identities from the beginning, and so of course
viewers become more upset when one of the "characters" they have grown
fond of dies or disappears.

If you saw the movie Two Brothers, this was a similar approach, whereas
you couldn't really tell one penguin from another in March of the
Penguins--although there was still plenty in that movie to make
children cry.
-yngver
-yngver