PDA

View Full Version : Hypoallergenic food - What else?

OceanView
September 9th 06, 02:43 PM
My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put her on
Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She isn't
vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).

So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand? Preferably one
an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes first. Thanks!

"OceanView" > wrote in message
> My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put her
on
> Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She isn't
> vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).
>
> So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand? Preferably
one
> an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes first. Thanks!
>
> --

Is your cat allergic to grains? Or don't you know? I put my allergic cat
on good quality canned food (I use Fancy Feast, but any variety that has
meat and not "byproducts" as a fist ingredient and no wheat gluten or other
grain products is fine) and she improved.

Also, my cat gets Depo Medrol shots about four times a year.

What are your cat's symptoms? Is she itchy and scratchy, or is her
stomach where the allergy presents?

Rhonda
September 9th 06, 05:36 PM
We used IVD brand, and Bob loved it. We had to get that brand from the vet.

We also used Waltham's brand, which is part of PetSmart. I forget what
their allergy food was called -- but it also had very few ingredients.
We had to bring the prescription in to PetSmart and they gave us a card
to use to check out with it each time. It was a little less expensive
than IVD.

Rhonda

OceanView wrote:
> My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put her on
> Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She isn't
> vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).
>
> So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand? Preferably one
> an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes first. Thanks!

OceanView
September 9th 06, 11:00 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in news:4502d59d$0$19603$88260bb3
@free.teranews.com:

> "OceanView" > wrote in message
>> My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put her
> on
>> Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She isn't
>> vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).
>>
>> So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand? Preferably
> one
>> an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes first. Thanks!
>>
>> --
>
> Is your cat allergic to grains? Or don't you know? I put my allergic cat
> on good quality canned food (I use Fancy Feast, but any variety that has
> meat and not "byproducts" as a fist ingredient and no wheat gluten or
other
> grain products is fine) and she improved.
>
> Also, my cat gets Depo Medrol shots about four times a year.
>
> What are your cat's symptoms? Is she itchy and scratchy, or is her
> stomach where the allergy presents?

I believe it's a meat protein allergy, which is a bummber for a cat, but
I'd have to get a clarification from the vet. I asked if I could give her
baby food as a treat, and the vet said only vegetable baby food (like she'd
actually eat that).

Here symptoms are vomitting and diahrea, which had gotten progessively
worse over the last year. She's a 'senior' now, at 8 years old. so it may
be something she just developed.

OceanView
September 9th 06, 11:03 PM
Rhonda > wrote in
:

> We used IVD brand, and Bob loved it. We had to get that brand from the
> vet.
>
> We also used Waltham's brand, which is part of PetSmart. I forget what
> their allergy food was called -- but it also had very few ingredients.
> We had to bring the prescription in to PetSmart and they gave us a card
> to use to check out with it each time. It was a little less expensive
> than IVD.
>
> Rhonda
>
> OceanView wrote:
>> My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put
>> her on Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She
>> isn't vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).
>>
>> So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand?
>> Preferably one an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes
>> first. Thanks!

Thanks! I'll try one of those, if I can find it. This area is fairly
rural,so the nearest PetSmart is a ways off, but if she likes it, it might
be worth making a 25 mile trip once a month.

September 10th 06, 01:05 AM
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 16:36:09 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>We used IVD brand, and Bob loved it. We had to get that brand from the vet.

I'd be wary of the IVD brand. I believe they changed what's in the
cans. About three months ago, both my cats stopped eating the stuff
after eating it happily for almost a year. We also noticed a texture
change to it. Several people have seen this same issue but the
manufacturer claims they haven't changed anything.

>We also used Waltham's brand, which is part of PetSmart. I forget what
>their allergy food was called -- but it also had very few ingredients.
>We had to bring the prescription in to PetSmart and they gave us a card
>to use to check out with it each time. It was a little less expensive
>than IVD.
>
>Rhonda
>
>OceanView wrote:
>> My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put her on
>> Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She isn't
>> vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).
>>
>> So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand? Preferably one
>> an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes first. Thanks!

Toni
September 10th 06, 01:37 PM
"OceanView" > wrote in message
> My cat's been diagnosed as developing a food allergy and the vet put her
> on
> Science Diet Z/D. She hates it and is eating very little. She isn't
> vomitting every ten minutes, so that's good (I need new carpet).
>
> So my question is: Can anybody recommend an alternate brand? Preferably
> one
> an unemployed owner can afford, but her health comes first. Thanks!

Of course it all depends on what she is allergic to.
California Natural is a five ingredient food developed for cats with
sensitivity issues.
http://tinyurl.com/qxbg6

--
Toni