PDA

View Full Version : Kitten diarrhea

Wendy
September 10th 06, 01:21 PM
I got 3 foster kittens 5 weeks ago. They were approximately 3-4 weeks old at
the time. I believe they had been brought to a previous foster home almost a
week prior. That foster home generally doesn't do bottle feeding which is
why I got them when I got back from vacation.

At any rate when they first came home they were already eating some wet food
and still voraciously took the bottle. They had very soft yellow/gray poop.
I continued offering them the bottle and they still nursed some but were
doing well eating the wet food. As the first week progressed the poop became
more yellow and eventually got that
you'll-never-forget-the-smell-once-you've-encountered-it coccidia smell. I
started them on Albon and two of the three kittens had nice firm poop within
two days. The third however only got rid of the horrible yellow color and
smell but still had toothpaste consistency poop. I kept him on Albon for 10
days with no further improvement so discontinued the Albon.

After a week or so with no medication his poop started getting looser again
and was tinged with blood. I thought perhaps he had worms and dosed the
litter with Strongid (I would have wormed them soon anyway). They all were a
little loose the following day but the two girls again firmed up while their
brother's diarrhea got worse over that weekend. The next week I gathered a
stool sample (scooped it up with a spoon it was that loose) and took it and
him to the vet. The stool sample showed nothing. The vet gave him some sub-q
fluids, told me to put him back on Albon for 10 days and also put him on
Flagyl for 7 days. I separated him from the girls, medicated him and also
started giving him some plain yogurt. At first the food was coming out the
same way it was going in but gradually firmed up some and he was at least
able to make it to the litter box.

Here we are two weeks later and back to square one. He has blood tinged (not
every time) toothpaste consistency poop. He finished taking the meds as the
vet prescribed but I've started giving him yogurt again to see if that might
help. He's been playful and energetic through all of this and fortunately
never stopped eating. He's also put on weight and seems to be growing at the
same rate as his sisters.

He's due for his second dose of Strongid but I don't know if I should give
it to him after his diarrhea getting so bad last time.

I don't know what to try next to get this guy firmed up.

Gail
September 10th 06, 01:52 PM
He should be seen by a vet.
Gail
"Wendy" > wrote in message
>I got 3 foster kittens 5 weeks ago. They were approximately 3-4 weeks old
>at the time. I believe they had been brought to a previous foster home
>almost a week prior. That foster home generally doesn't do bottle feeding
>which is why I got them when I got back from vacation.
>
> At any rate when they first came home they were already eating some wet
> food and still voraciously took the bottle. They had very soft yellow/gray
> poop. I continued offering them the bottle and they still nursed some but
> were doing well eating the wet food. As the first week progressed the poop
> became more yellow and eventually got that
> you'll-never-forget-the-smell-once-you've-encountered-it coccidia smell. I
> started them on Albon and two of the three kittens had nice firm poop
> within two days. The third however only got rid of the horrible yellow
> color and smell but still had toothpaste consistency poop. I kept him on
> Albon for 10 days with no further improvement so discontinued the Albon.
>
> After a week or so with no medication his poop started getting looser
> again and was tinged with blood. I thought perhaps he had worms and dosed
> the litter with Strongid (I would have wormed them soon anyway). They all
> were a little loose the following day but the two girls again firmed up
> while their brother's diarrhea got worse over that weekend. The next week
> I gathered a stool sample (scooped it up with a spoon it was that loose)
> and took it and him to the vet. The stool sample showed nothing. The vet
> gave him some sub-q fluids, told me to put him back on Albon for 10 days
> and also put him on Flagyl for 7 days. I separated him from the girls,
> medicated him and also started giving him some plain yogurt. At first the
> food was coming out the same way it was going in but gradually firmed up
> some and he was at least able to make it to the litter box.
>
> Here we are two weeks later and back to square one. He has blood tinged
> (not every time) toothpaste consistency poop. He finished taking the meds
> as the vet prescribed but I've started giving him yogurt again to see if
> that might help. He's been playful and energetic through all of this and
> fortunately never stopped eating. He's also put on weight and seems to be
> growing at the same rate as his sisters.
>
> He's due for his second dose of Strongid but I don't know if I should give
> it to him after his diarrhea getting so bad last time.
>
> I don't know what to try next to get this guy firmed up.

Wendy
September 10th 06, 03:57 PM
Yea, I know I have to get back to the vet but this is a rescue kitty. It
helps if I have some idea what to ask and what to suggest. Sad to say but
these guys don't get the same treatment from the vet as their *private
patients* do.

ink.net...