PDA

View Full Version : Just adopted 11-month old gray tabby from shelter

Deborah Trujillo
September 10th 06, 04:55 PM
His name had been Ooster but we changed it to Tumbleweed. I purchased the
same cat food for him they were feeding him at the shelter (a PetSmart
shelter) and he ate a little yesterday but hasn't eaten any since.

Could it be because he is in new surroundings and just needs time to adjust?
I am taking him to the vet Saturday and will mention this if he is still not
eating. The food I'm giving him is dry. Would it maybe help if I purchased
the canned food? He is on Hutro.

--Debbie Trujillo

Matthew
September 10th 06, 05:12 PM
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
.. .
> His name had been Ooster but we changed it to Tumbleweed. I purchased the
> same cat food for him they were feeding him at the shelter (a PetSmart
> shelter) and he ate a little yesterday but hasn't eaten any since.
>
> Could it be because he is in new surroundings and just needs time to
> adjust?
> I am taking him to the vet Saturday and will mention this if he is still
> not
> eating. The food I'm giving him is dry. Would it maybe help if I purchased
> the canned food? He is on Hutro.
>
> --Debbie Trujillo

Hello Debbie let me start out by saying thank you for adopting a furball
Also this move is very traumatic on them it may take a couple days or
longer for the furball to get used to its new home. Watch him if he
eats uses the litter box try putting both food types out. But in the
same terms give him space and keep the stress away to allow adjustment

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/getting-a-cat.shtml a little reading

Rhonda
September 10th 06, 07:29 PM
Hi Debbie,

I'm sure he's nervous, but I'd try putting out different foods to see if
you can tempt him. I wouldn't want him to go more than about a day
without eating. Cats can get liver problems pretty quickly when they
don't eat -- I would definitely not wait until next Saturday to go to
the vet if he is not eating!

If other foods are not tempting him -- there is a wet food by Pet Pro
that has sardines in it. I got some at PetCo. Our emergency clinic using
that to tempt scared kitties.

Good luck, let us know what happens!

Rhonda

Deborah Trujillo wrote:
> His name had been Ooster but we changed it to Tumbleweed. I purchased the
> same cat food for him they were feeding him at the shelter (a PetSmart
> shelter) and he ate a little yesterday but hasn't eaten any since.
>
> Could it be because he is in new surroundings and just needs time to adjust?
> I am taking him to the vet Saturday and will mention this if he is still not
> eating. The food I'm giving him is dry. Would it maybe help if I purchased
> the canned food? He is on Hutro.
>
> --Debbie Trujillo

Deborah Trujillo
September 11th 06, 02:41 PM
Thank you Rhonda. I've tried to keep him on the Nutro as that is what he was
fed at the shelter. I've tried dry, cannet and the packets. I've keep the
flavor chicken. I'm dropping him off at the vet's this morning.

On 9/10/06 11:29 AM, in article , "Rhonda"
> wrote:

> Hi Debbie,
>
> I'm sure he's nervous, but I'd try putting out different foods to see if
> you can tempt him. I wouldn't want him to go more than about a day
> without eating. Cats can get liver problems pretty quickly when they
> don't eat -- I would definitely not wait until next Saturday to go to
> the vet if he is not eating!
>
> If other foods are not tempting him -- there is a wet food by Pet Pro
> that has sardines in it. I got some at PetCo. Our emergency clinic using
> that to tempt scared kitties.
>
> Good luck, let us know what happens!
>
> Rhonda
>
> Deborah Trujillo wrote:
>> His name had been Ooster but we changed it to Tumbleweed. I purchased the
>> same cat food for him they were feeding him at the shelter (a PetSmart
>> shelter) and he ate a little yesterday but hasn't eaten any since.
>>
>> Could it be because he is in new surroundings and just needs time to adjust?
>> I am taking him to the vet Saturday and will mention this if he is still not
>> eating. The food I'm giving him is dry. Would it maybe help if I purchased
>> the canned food? He is on Hutro.
>>
>> --Debbie Trujillo

Deborah Trujillo
September 13th 06, 03:56 AM
It turned out he had a little diarrhea (I wouldn't have know as he had not
gone to the bathroom at home except to pee) which the vet said may be why he
wasn't eating. They got him to eat at the vet's and gave me some of the food
to take home as well as some medication. They also sent a stool sample off
to see if he has parasites. He is eating again and is acting more playful.
Thank you for your advice and information!