PDA

View Full Version : cat meows with no sound?

UseNet
September 10th 06, 10:35 PM
My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

CR

Matthew
September 10th 06, 10:44 PM
Sometimes when a cat loses its voice it can be a sign of a infection in the
throat or an abscess it is something that you need to have a vet check out

"UseNet" > wrote in message
> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
> the motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are
> present. Is this normal for a cat?
>
> CR

UseNet
September 10th 06, 10:54 PM
I should have mentioned he does this along with his normal meows and sounds.
His voice seems OK . This seems more like a psychological thing.

CR
"Matthew" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sometimes when a cat loses its voice it can be a sign of a infection in
> the throat or an abscess it is something that you need to have a vet
> check out
>
> "UseNet" > wrote in message
>> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
>> the motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are
>> present. Is this normal for a cat?
>>
>> CR

Matthew
September 10th 06, 11:01 PM
If it only happens when strangers are around it probably is a stress factor

IMO is there is no change in his habits ( bathroom, eating ) other than
that I would mention it on your next vet visit. I would not hurt to make a
phone call to your vet you trust.

It sounds like something normal a cats does it is hard to describe
something like what you are trying to.

If I am off base I am sure someone will point it out here. So keep
checking the post

Good luck

"UseNet" > wrote in message
>I should have mentioned he does this along with his normal meows and
>sounds.
> His voice seems OK . This seems more like a psychological thing.
>
> CR
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Sometimes when a cat loses its voice it can be a sign of a infection in
>> the throat or an abscess it is something that you need to have a vet
>> check out
>>
>> "UseNet" > wrote in message
>>> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
>>> the motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are
>>> present. Is this normal for a cat?
>>>
>>> CR

William Hamblen
September 10th 06, 11:46 PM
On 2006-09-10, UseNet > wrote:

> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
> motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
> Is this normal for a cat?

Does he make noisy meows, too? Maybe he has been reading Paul
Gallico, The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and
Homeless Cats. My cat will look up and give a silent mew.

Bud

September 11th 06, 01:16 AM
In article >,
says...
> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
> motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
> Is this normal for a cat?
>
> CR

My cats do this all the time. They can control the volume level of their
vocalizations. It's a sure way to play cute.

Phil P.
September 11th 06, 01:41 AM
"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> On 2006-09-10, UseNet > wrote:
>
> > My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
the
> > motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
> > Is this normal for a cat?
>
> Does he make noisy meows, too? Maybe he has been reading Paul
> Gallico, The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and
> Homeless Cats.

My all-time favorite!

"Take Over" "I can think of no better phrase to apply when we move in upon
human beings. Overnight everything is changed for them; their homes, as well
as in time their customs and habits, are no longer their own. From then on
they belong to us." (p.16) No truer words were ever spoken.

Here's an actual picture of the author writing the original manuscript:
http://www.maxshouse.com/origin_domestication+biology/Silent_Miaow-01.jpg

Phil P.
September 11th 06, 01:42 AM
"UseNet" > wrote in message
> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
the
> motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
> Is this normal for a cat?

That's the infamous "silent miaow".

Kitkat
September 11th 06, 04:17 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "UseNet" > wrote in message
>
>>My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru
>
> the
>
>>motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
>>Is this normal for a cat?
>

> That's the infamous "silent miaow".

Dudley was more of a squeaker, so we called it the "silent squeak"

:)

jmc
September 11th 06, 01:14 PM
Suddenly, without warning, UseNet exclaimed (11-Sep-06 7:05 AM):
> My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
> motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
> Is this normal for a cat?
>
> CR

I have this theory that the meow is audible - to the cat anyway. If
they can hear well above the ranges that humans can, it makes sense they
can vocalize in these ranges as well.

When Meep's making these little 'aatch' sounds like she's doing now
behind me (telling me about how good the lambswool feels between her
toes), I do get the distinct impression that there's more but I just
can't hear it.

jmc

yngver
September 11th 06, 07:29 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, UseNet exclaimed (11-Sep-06 7:05 AM):
> > My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
> > motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
> > Is this normal for a cat?
> >
> > CR
> >

> I have this theory that the meow is audible - to the cat anyway. If
> they can hear well above the ranges that humans can, it makes sense they
> can vocalize in these ranges as well.
>
> When Meep's making these little 'aatch' sounds like she's doing now
> behind me (telling me about how good the lambswool feels between her
> toes), I do get the distinct impression that there's more but I just
> can't hear it.
>
> jmc

That's what I've read as well. Even though we think these are "silent
meows", the cat can hear them--they are just beyond our own hearing
range. When you think about it, cats (and dogs and other animals) hear
and smell a lot of things that we can't, yet for some reason human
beings tend to believe that what we can't sense ourselves must not be
real.

Most cats learn what range of sounds a human being will respond to. In
this case, perhaps the cat isn't looking for a response.

One of our cats has a very high meow--so high, in fact, that my husband
can't hear it, and I hear just a little squeak (as a rule women can
hear higher frequencies than men can). But I do respond to it, so our
cat knows I can hear her. She must think my husband is just
inattentive, although of course being a cat she has other means of
making her opinions known.
-yngver

JohnR66
September 12th 06, 02:14 AM
I noticed my cat's can't meow after sleeping for several hours. Seems their
vocal chords have to "warm up". Next the meow is raspy then comes back to
normal after a few attempts!
John