PDA

View Full Version : Why does she do this ?

desgnr
September 11th 06, 02:02 PM
My cat is about 7 months old & spayed.
Yesterday about 12 pm i cleaned her litter box.
Went out for the day & came home about 7pm
Her litter box was empty,which surprised me.
When i got home i brought her a new treat which she smelled & walked
away,not even tasting it.
I also brought her a new toy which she loved & played with for a long time.
While watching tv i saw her smelling the rug in the corner of the living
room.
Next she squated & started to pee.
I grabbed her my the scruff of the neck ( like a mother cat would do ) &
carried her down to the litter box & she peed there.
Why did she do this & how can i correct the problem ?

Lynne
September 11th 06, 02:47 PM
what did you use to clean the litter box? There could be a residual
odor that she doesn't like.

desgnr wrote:
> My cat is about 7 months old & spayed.
> Yesterday about 12 pm i cleaned her litter box.
> Went out for the day & came home about 7pm
> Her litter box was empty,which surprised me.
> When i got home i brought her a new treat which she smelled & walked
> away,not even tasting it.
> I also brought her a new toy which she loved & played with for a long time.
> While watching tv i saw her smelling the rug in the corner of the living
> room.
> Next she squated & started to pee.
> I grabbed her my the scruff of the neck ( like a mother cat would do ) &
> carried her down to the litter box & she peed there.
> Why did she do this & how can i correct the problem ?

Buddy's Mom
September 11th 06, 05:04 PM
You should pick up a cat by the scruff of the neck - you will injure
her. She was much lighter in weight when her mother did that.

I agree - what did you use to clean the box? Is the litter different?
Does she have an infection? If you didn't do anything different, I
would take her to the vet for tests.

desgnr wrote:
> My cat is about 7 months old & spayed.
> Yesterday about 12 pm i cleaned her litter box.
> Went out for the day & came home about 7pm
> Her litter box was empty,which surprised me.
> When i got home i brought her a new treat which she smelled & walked
> away,not even tasting it.
> I also brought her a new toy which she loved & played with for a long time.
> While watching tv i saw her smelling the rug in the corner of the living
> room.
> Next she squated & started to pee.
> I grabbed her my the scruff of the neck ( like a mother cat would do ) &
> carried her down to the litter box & she peed there.
> Why did she do this & how can i correct the problem ?

Rhonda
September 11th 06, 05:51 PM
Picking up an almost-grown cat bruises their skin -- it hurts them.
Mother cats only do that when the kittens are very tiny.

If nothing else has obviously changed with the litter box, she needs to
be seen by a vet. The first symptom of a urinary infection is peeing
outside of the box.

Good luck,

Rhonda

desgnr wrote:
> My cat is about 7 months old & spayed.
> Yesterday about 12 pm i cleaned her litter box.
> Went out for the day & came home about 7pm
> Her litter box was empty,which surprised me.
> When i got home i brought her a new treat which she smelled & walked
> away,not even tasting it.
> I also brought her a new toy which she loved & played with for a long time.
> While watching tv i saw her smelling the rug in the corner of the living
> room.
> Next she squated & started to pee.
> I grabbed her my the scruff of the neck ( like a mother cat would do ) &
> carried her down to the litter box & she peed there.
> Why did she do this & how can i correct the problem ?

Buddy's Mom
September 11th 06, 09:48 PM
Woops - I meant to say that you should NOT pick up a cat by the scruff
of it's neck!

Buddy's Mom wrote:
> You should pick up a cat by the scruff of the neck - you will injure
> her. She was much lighter in weight when her mother did that.
>
> I agree - what did you use to clean the box? Is the litter different?
> Does she have an infection? If you didn't do anything different, I
> would take her to the vet for tests.
>
> desgnr wrote:
> > My cat is about 7 months old & spayed.
> > Yesterday about 12 pm i cleaned her litter box.
> > Went out for the day & came home about 7pm
> > Her litter box was empty,which surprised me.
> > When i got home i brought her a new treat which she smelled & walked
> > away,not even tasting it.
> > I also brought her a new toy which she loved & played with for a long time.
> > While watching tv i saw her smelling the rug in the corner of the living
> > room.
> > Next she squated & started to pee.
> > I grabbed her my the scruff of the neck ( like a mother cat would do ) &
> > carried her down to the litter box & she peed there.
> > Why did she do this & how can i correct the problem ?

Eva Quesnell
September 11th 06, 11:07 PM
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Rhonda wrote:

> Picking up an almost-grown cat bruises their skin -- it hurts them. Mother
> cats only do that when the kittens are very tiny.
>
> If nothing else has obviously changed with the litter box, she needs to be
> seen by a vet. The first symptom of a urinary infection is peeing outside of
> the box.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda

Indeed, the first thing to be done is make sure she doesn't have a urinary
tract infection. If it hurts when she pees, she will associate the pain
with the litter box itself and try to find a soft place to pee. If that
isn't the problem, the location of the box or the type of litter could be
the problem. It's also not a good idea to yell at kitty and then take her
to the litter box. If you do that, she may think the litter box is a bad
place, and you don't want that. Good luck!

Eva

meeee
September 11th 06, 11:29 PM
"desgnr" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My cat is about 7 months old & spayed.
> Yesterday about 12 pm i cleaned her litter box.
> Went out for the day & came home about 7pm
> Her litter box was empty,which surprised me.
> When i got home i brought her a new treat which she smelled & walked
> away,not even tasting it.
> I also brought her a new toy which she loved & played with for a long
> time.
> While watching tv i saw her smelling the rug in the corner of the living
> room.
> Next she squated & started to pee.
> I grabbed her my the scruff of the neck ( like a mother cat would do ) &
> carried her down to the litter box & she peed there.
> Why did she do this & how can i correct the problem ?

As the others mentioned, get her vet checked first. As she sniffed the rug
first, could it be possible that she, or another cat, previously peed there?
If a cat urinates somewhere, they will smell it and go back to it. Get an
enzyme urine-remover from the vet or a pet store, or put something over the
spot. Once a cat has peed somewhere, they are likely to go back and pee
again.