PDA

View Full Version : are pine pellets safe for young kittens?

Lynne
September 13th 06, 04:46 AM
I know that kittens will sometimes eat litter, so clumping litter is
unsafe for them. I am currently using non-clumping clay in the kittens
isolation area, but tomorrow he will have full run of the house. My
other cat has 2 litter boxes in the basement. I use pine pellets for
him (which I love). I would like to convert the kitten's box over,
too, but since he has already eaten one foreign object (albeit a nipple
which was already in his mouth), I wonder if the pellets are safe. I
don't believe he has been eating any litter, so it may not be an issue,
but I would like to know if anyone has anecdotal evidence either
way--whether it's safe for kittens or not.

Thank you, again. After having raised 3 cats (one lived to be over 20
years old), I still have questions!

John Ross Mc Master
September 13th 06, 05:11 AM
On 12 Sep 2006 20:46:21 -0700, "Lynne" >
wrote:

>I know that kittens will sometimes eat litter, so clumping litter is
>unsafe for them. I am currently using non-clumping clay in the kittens
>isolation area, but tomorrow he will have full run of the house. My
>other cat has 2 litter boxes in the basement. I use pine pellets for
>him (which I love). I would like to convert the kitten's box over,
>too, but since he has already eaten one foreign object (albeit a nipple
>which was already in his mouth), I wonder if the pellets are safe. I
>don't believe he has been eating any litter, so it may not be an issue,
>but I would like to know if anyone has anecdotal evidence either
>way--whether it's safe for kittens or not.
>
>Thank you, again. After having raised 3 cats (one lived to be over 20
>years old), I still have questions!

Yes pine is safe. I use it for kittens. I have used it for dozens of
kittens I have fostered with no ill effect. The Humane Society I'm
with uses it for kittens. Kittens don't eat pine.
The unsafe type is the clay clumping litter, which causes respiratory
problems and constipation.
You might also consider the wheat chaff litter. Just not the clumping
clay.

meeee
September 13th 06, 06:29 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I know that kittens will sometimes eat litter, so clumping litter is
> unsafe for them. I am currently using non-clumping clay in the kittens
> isolation area, but tomorrow he will have full run of the house. My
> other cat has 2 litter boxes in the basement. I use pine pellets for
> him (which I love). I would like to convert the kitten's box over,
> too, but since he has already eaten one foreign object (albeit a nipple
> which was already in his mouth), I wonder if the pellets are safe. I
> don't believe he has been eating any litter, so it may not be an issue,
> but I would like to know if anyone has anecdotal evidence either
> way--whether it's safe for kittens or not.
>
> Thank you, again. After having raised 3 cats (one lived to be over 20
> years old), I still have questions!

This I can help with...I have put a lot of time into litter research!! As
I'm in Australia, brands won't help much, but try contacting a bulk animal
feed store (eg bulk horse food, stock pellets, worming and vaccination for
large farm animals etc) and ask if they carry lucerne pellets. Also try pet
stores, and ask for lucerne based small animal (hamster, rat, guinea pig)
bedding. It should come in shiny, dark green pellets that smell sweet, like
mown grass or hay. I have found this is the best stuff for kittens, as it is
made from lucerne, so they can pass it through very easily. It also does a
wonderful job of covering odours and is very cheap. Alternatives are sawdust
and rice based pellets, or newspaper pellets. try the lucerne if you can
find it as it is more easily digested. Good luck!!

Lynne
September 20th 06, 02:01 AM
Well I started transitioning the kitten to pine pellets. He digs a
little longer before he does his business, so I can tell he doesn't
quite like the mix and I'll need to take it slow and carefully.

The only downside is that he likes to pick up a pellet on his way out
of the litter box and knock it around on the floor for a while. I know
that should gross me out, but he's so damn cute!!