PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacation - without my cat

September 13th 06, 05:04 AM
Hello

I recently moved to Arlington VA. The move was quite stressful for our
cat (she never liked to drive and this was the longest she ever had to
be in a car - 6 hours). I don't want to put her through that again!

However, now I face a dillema about going away for the next 4 days...
What is the best thing to do with a cat (healthy, fairly well
adjusted)? I have heard you can give them sedatives to help calm them
down during trips - but I'd rather not resort to drugs. I'd like to
have her stay here, but am too new and don't know anyone in my area to
help out.

Thoughts?

September 13th 06, 05:36 AM
Hi Sortman

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. While I wish I could personnally
help you, I live a little far away from Virginia! There are sometimes
veterinarian that will take a cat in for a fee. I have done that once,
but never again... long story. If you decide to go that route, make
sure you check the place out, or get a good recommendation.

As an alternative, there is a website that also tries to address the
issue of finding good help to watch over a pet over vacation. It's
called "http://www.pe****ch.com" - it's got several people signed up in
the Virginia area. You may be able to find someone on that site that
can help you out!

Take care!

Jackie-Y
wrote:
> Hello
>
> I recently moved to Arlington VA. The move was quite stressful for our
> cat (she never liked to drive and this was the longest she ever had to
> be in a car - 6 hours). I don't want to put her through that again!
>
> However, now I face a dillema about going away for the next 4 days...
> What is the best thing to do with a cat (healthy, fairly well
> adjusted)? I have heard you can give them sedatives to help calm them
> down during trips - but I'd rather not resort to drugs. I'd like to
> have her stay here, but am too new and don't know anyone in my area to
> help out.
>
> Thoughts?

barb
September 13th 06, 02:59 PM
Once I used International Pet Sitters. It worked out fine but then the guy
I used stopped sitting. I asked my vet if he knew anyone and he suggested
his vet tech. I've been using him for several years, now.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Rene S.
> Hello
>
> I recently moved to Arlington VA. The move was quite stressful for our
> cat (she never liked to drive and this was the longest she ever had to
> be in a car - 6 hours). I don't want to put her through that again!
>
> However, now I face a dillema about going away for the next 4 days...
> What is the best thing to do with a cat (healthy, fairly well
> adjusted)? I have heard you can give them sedatives to help calm them
> down during trips - but I'd rather not resort to drugs. I'd like to
> have her stay here, but am too new and don't know anyone in my area to
> help out.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd hire a professional pet sitter. Look in your phone book or call a
nearby vet for suggestions. Schedule a face-to-face interview with the
sitter before you leave. Ask if they are bonded and insured (they
should be happy to show you the paperwork). I've used a sitter for a
couple of years now and have been very pleased. I can request the
number of visits per day and know they are coming. Great piece of mind.

Rene

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello
>
> I recently moved to Arlington VA. The move was quite stressful for our
> cat (she never liked to drive and this was the longest she ever had to
> be in a car - 6 hours). I don't want to put her through that again!
>
> However, now I face a dillema about going away for the next 4 days...
> What is the best thing to do with a cat (healthy, fairly well
> adjusted)? I have heard you can give them sedatives to help calm them
> down during trips - but I'd rather not resort to drugs. I'd like to
> have her stay here, but am too new and don't know anyone in my area to
> help out.

I think I would board her at a kennel. It will be stressful for her bit at
least she will be safe. When I lived alone, I left my cat for as long as
a weekend with lots of water and dry food, but now that I have read
stories of what they can get into inside a house, I don't think I would do
it.
It is a shame there is not some nice old lady around who you might ask to
look in on her once a day or so.

dgk
September 14th 06, 01:50 PM
On 13 Sep 2006 07:49:00 -0700, "Rene S." >

>> Hello
>>
>> I recently moved to Arlington VA. The move was quite stressful for our
>> cat (she never liked to drive and this was the longest she ever had to
>> be in a car - 6 hours). I don't want to put her through that again!
>>
>> However, now I face a dillema about going away for the next 4 days...
>> What is the best thing to do with a cat (healthy, fairly well
>> adjusted)? I have heard you can give them sedatives to help calm them
>> down during trips - but I'd rather not resort to drugs. I'd like to
>> have her stay here, but am too new and don't know anyone in my area to
>> help out.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>I'd hire a professional pet sitter. Look in your phone book or call a
>nearby vet for suggestions. Schedule a face-to-face interview with the
>sitter before you leave. Ask if they are bonded and insured (they
>should be happy to show you the paperwork). I've used a sitter for a
>couple of years now and have been very pleased. I can request the
>number of visits per day and know they are coming. Great piece of mind.
>
>Rene

This is the best solution. I did the same thing recently. She gave me
a long interview on the boys typical behavior and made sure that she
knew where my vet is. I wouldn't board them; they're not like dogs and
they really don't like going to new places. Better they stay at a
place that they know.

Debra Berry
September 14th 06, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I live in Falls Church, VA, which isn't too far from Arlington. I
use a company called Alternative Pet Care. I have always been pleased
with them and definitely recommend them. You can reach Alternative
Pet Care at 703-352-6163.

Boarding usually stresses a cat more than staying home and having
someone
come in. If boarding is your only option, I'd recommend Town and
Country
Animal Hospital's cat boarding. They have a cats only boarding area
with
2 level "condo" style cages. They are located in Fairfax, VA.
Their number is 703-273-2110.

Good luck!

Debbie