PDA

View Full Version : VERY Aggressive Cat - Please Help


pjc
September 13th 06, 02:08 PM
My wife and I woke up one morning to the sound of two cats fighting.
We had went to see what all the comotion was a about and we noticed a
beautiful bengal mix cat that had been hurt and looking for food. We
took him to animal emergencey where they took care of his wounds and
several weeks later got him fixed. This cat is a male and about 12
months old.

We wanted to keep him, however we already have two very friendly cats.
We kept him isolated and gave him a room with all the comforts cat
related items (bed, food, water, toys).

The problem we are having is that he's very aggressive towards humans
and other cats. He bites, scratches and jumps whenever someone enters
the room. I did some web searches and tried differnet techniques to
calm him down. My wife and I spend a ton of time with him over a
period of 4 months, but his personality has not changed one bit. The
only time he doesn't attack is when he is eating. Also, when he
attakcks he yelps, lunges, scratches and bites. I don't understand,
nothing seems to work. He's just nasty. Nothing works! I have never
seen a cat like this. It's a shame becasue he's beautiful - gold with
black stripes.

We even found him a home with poeple who had pateince and they had the
same experiences.

My wife and I had rescued several cats prior and found them really good
homes. This one seems to be a problem.

The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.

I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
Also, I live in NY.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
PJC

Lightwell
September 13th 06, 05:43 PM
pjc wrote:
> The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
> him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.
>
> I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
> Also, I live in NY.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> PJC

This is a hard decision.
Please no one rip my head of, it`s just my thoughts:

I`ve lived in New York, Brooklyn, Bedminton Ave. I`ve seen a lot of
cats roaming free there. And even in Manhattan.

This cat seems to hate to be imprisond.
Even if it is a room full of love and food and toys.
It would break my heart, but I would him let outside. Presenting food
if there would be possibly a quiet space near the entrance door. So he
might decide to stay in the area.

There are cats that would never be happy in an apartement.
If you have a house with little garden maybe he decides to stay there.
Some cats must roam free and some cats just despise humans.
Maybe he had bad experiences.
Life out there is dangerous. But there are cats that cope.

I would feel terrible about it but better a maybe short but free life
than a hated one in prison. Some things are out of our control.

Again, don`t anybody think me to be cruel and flame me.
It is about discernment. What is best for the cat.
And it`s only one persons thoughts.

Lightwell
September 13th 06, 05:59 PM
pjc wrote:
> The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
> him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.

> I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
> Also, I live in NY.


> Any help would be appreciated.


> Thank you,
> PJC



This is a hard decision.
Please no one rip my head of, it`s just my thoughts:

I`ve lived in New York, Brooklyn, Greenpoint, Bedford Ave/11th.
I`ve seen a lot of cats roaming free there. And even in Manhattan.


This cat seems to hate to be imprisond.
Even if it is a room full of love and food and toys.
It would break my heart, but I would him let outside. Presenting food
if there would be possibly a quiet space near the entrance door. So he
might decide to stay in the area.


There are cats that would never be happy in an apartement.
If you have a house with little garden maybe he decides to stay there.
Some cats must roam free and some cats just despise humans.
Maybe he had bad experiences.
Life out there is dangerous. But there are cats that cope.


I would feel terrible about it but better a maybe short but free life
than a hated one in prison. Some things are out of our control.


Again, don`t anybody think me to be cruel and flame me.
It is about discernment. What is best for the cat.
And it`s only one persons thoughts.

pjc
September 13th 06, 06:45 PM
I tend to agree. I live in Long Island specifically. We really don't
want to bring him to a shelter as they would just put him down. He
could never get a home either.

Out of curiousaty, anyone ever have cat like this?


Lightwell wrote:
> pjc wrote:
> > The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
> > him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.
>
> > I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
> > Also, I live in NY.
>
>
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
>
> > Thank you,
> > PJC
>
>
>
> This is a hard decision.
> Please no one rip my head of, it`s just my thoughts:
>
> I`ve lived in New York, Brooklyn, Greenpoint, Bedford Ave/11th.
> I`ve seen a lot of cats roaming free there. And even in Manhattan.
>
>
> This cat seems to hate to be imprisond.
> Even if it is a room full of love and food and toys.
> It would break my heart, but I would him let outside. Presenting food
> if there would be possibly a quiet space near the entrance door. So he
> might decide to stay in the area.
>
>
> There are cats that would never be happy in an apartement.
> If you have a house with little garden maybe he decides to stay there.
> Some cats must roam free and some cats just despise humans.
> Maybe he had bad experiences.
> Life out there is dangerous. But there are cats that cope.
>
>
> I would feel terrible about it but better a maybe short but free life
> than a hated one in prison. Some things are out of our control.
>
>
> Again, don`t anybody think me to be cruel and flame me.
> It is about discernment. What is best for the cat.
> And it`s only one persons thoughts.

m4816k
September 13th 06, 06:46 PM
"Lightwell" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>
> pjc wrote:
>> The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
>> him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.
>>
>> I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
>> Also, I live in NY.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> PJC
>
> This is a hard decision.
> Please no one rip my head of, it`s just my thoughts:
>
> I`ve lived in New York, Brooklyn, Bedminton Ave. I`ve seen a lot of
> cats roaming free there. And even in Manhattan.
>
> This cat seems to hate to be imprisond.
> Even if it is a room full of love and food and toys.
> It would break my heart, but I would him let outside. Presenting food
> if there would be possibly a quiet space near the entrance door. So he
> might decide to stay in the area.
>
> There are cats that would never be happy in an apartement.
> If you have a house with little garden maybe he decides to stay there.
> Some cats must roam free and some cats just despise humans.
> Maybe he had bad experiences.
> Life out there is dangerous. But there are cats that cope.
>
> I would feel terrible about it but better a maybe short but free life
> than a hated one in prison. Some things are out of our control.
>
> Again, don`t anybody think me to be cruel and flame me.
> It is about discernment. What is best for the cat.
> And it`s only one persons thoughts.
>

That comes to my mind too. He's also not a kitten anymore and probably
want's to meet a female sometimes soon:-) Cats haven't evolved in studio
apartmants but in wilderness so I don't approve of never letting a cat
outside. Call me crazy.

JJ
September 13th 06, 11:49 PM
Try FELIWAY spray, read up on this. There are some people who swear by
this. It can help kitty feel more secure.

Next, every time you enter the room, kepp a spray bottle in your hand.
If kitty attacks you then tell him no and then mist him quickly, as if
to give a quick and immediate "wake up". Don't over do it, just
quickly let him know that you will not be attacked. Only do this if
you are being attacked, he will get the point and he will learn to
respect you and the space around you.

If you want to give him love and attention and pet him, as soon as he
becomes unruly - STOP - do not go further. If he turns and s you tell
him no and immediately spray him if he starts biting you. YOU WILL
HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT. Eventually you can wean him off the actual
spray bottle and only make the sound with your mouth. It should work,
however, once the stimulus (aggression) is paired with the response
(spray with water).

Lastly, consult your veterinarian regarding putting kitty on some
sedatives. This might make him feel better and make his new life more
humane. Perhaps if he is difficult the pills can be crushed and put in
in his food. There are also herbal remedies, consult a veterinarian
who is trained in both homeopathic and traditional meds.

Ask about valium supplements or natural ones like "rescue remedy" or
herbs.

Consider interactive toys so kitty can burn off excessive, penned up
energy, such as toys etc. so kitty cat bite the toys etc and not you.
obviously kitty has some energy that he needs to get rid of. Rotate
toys frequently to keep the novelty alive.

Last, but not least, check kitties diet, make sure kitty is on top
notch food. Not cheap crap full of junk.

One more thing, have kitty checked by a vet. Get a complete blood
work-up, rule out medical causes for his ill behavior. He could be in
pain or have something wrong and his only way to tell you is for him to
act-up. He might some neurological problems or other things...Get a
trained veterinarian to rule out problems, seek one that is cat saavy.

Good luck.


pjc wrote:
> My wife and I woke up one morning to the sound of two cats fighting.
> We had went to see what all the comotion was a about and we noticed a
> beautiful bengal mix cat that had been hurt and looking for food. We
> took him to animal emergencey where they took care of his wounds and
> several weeks later got him fixed. This cat is a male and about 12
> months old.
>
> We wanted to keep him, however we already have two very friendly cats.
> We kept him isolated and gave him a room with all the comforts cat
> related items (bed, food, water, toys).
>
> The problem we are having is that he's very aggressive towards humans
> and other cats. He bites, scratches and jumps whenever someone enters
> the room. I did some web searches and tried differnet techniques to
> calm him down. My wife and I spend a ton of time with him over a
> period of 4 months, but his personality has not changed one bit. The
> only time he doesn't attack is when he is eating. Also, when he
> attakcks he yelps, lunges, scratches and bites. I don't understand,
> nothing seems to work. He's just nasty. Nothing works! I have never
> seen a cat like this. It's a shame becasue he's beautiful - gold with
> black stripes.
>
> We even found him a home with poeple who had pateince and they had the
> same experiences.
>
> My wife and I had rescued several cats prior and found them really good
> homes. This one seems to be a problem.
>
> The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
> him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.
>
> I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
> Also, I live in NY.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> PJC

September 14th 06, 12:33 AM
Keep him as an outside cat - at least for a while. It's probably the
kindest thing you can do for him at this point. In time, other things
may be possible, but not yet.

RobZip
September 14th 06, 12:35 AM
"Lightwell" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> This cat seems to hate to be imprisond.
> Even if it is a room full of love and food and toys.
> It would break my heart, but I would him let outside. Presenting food
> if there would be possibly a quiet space near the entrance door. So he
> might decide to stay in the area.
>
> There are cats that would never be happy in an apartement.
> If you have a house with little garden maybe he decides to stay there.
> Some cats must roam free and some cats just despise humans.
> Maybe he had bad experiences.
> Life out there is dangerous. But there are cats that cope.
>
> I would feel terrible about it but better a maybe short but free life
> than a hated one in prison. Some things are out of our control.
>
> Again, don`t anybody think me to be cruel and flame me.

Flame you? My Lord, no... Your ability to appreciate the reality of a cat's
true nature is a breath of fresh air in this group. Although some live a
life we wouldn't dream of inflicting on our household pets, that's the way
they prefer it.

Matthew
September 14th 06, 12:39 AM
"pjc" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I tend to agree. I live in Long Island specifically. We really don't
> want to bring him to a shelter as they would just put him down. He
> could never get a home either.
>
> Out of curiousaty, anyone ever have cat like this?
>
>
> Lightwell wrote:
>> pjc wrote:
>> > The question I have is what do I do? Do I continue to try to "tame"
>> > him? Keep him as an outdoor cat? Bring him to a shelter? I am torn.
>>
>> > I called all the no kill shelters in my area and they are all "full".
>> > Also, I live in NY.
>>
>>
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>> > Thank you,
>> > PJC
>>
>>
>>
>> This is a hard decision.
>> Please no one rip my head of, it`s just my thoughts:
>>
>> I`ve lived in New York, Brooklyn, Greenpoint, Bedford Ave/11th.
>> I`ve seen a lot of cats roaming free there. And even in Manhattan.
>>
>>
>> This cat seems to hate to be imprisond.
>> Even if it is a room full of love and food and toys.
>> It would break my heart, but I would him let outside. Presenting food
>> if there would be possibly a quiet space near the entrance door. So he
>> might decide to stay in the area.
>>
>>
>> There are cats that would never be happy in an apartement.
>> If you have a house with little garden maybe he decides to stay there.
>> Some cats must roam free and some cats just despise humans.
>> Maybe he had bad experiences.
>> Life out there is dangerous. But there are cats that cope.
>>
>>
>> I would feel terrible about it but better a maybe short but free life
>> than a hated one in prison. Some things are out of our control.
>>
>>
>> Again, don`t anybody think me to be cruel and flame me.
>> It is about discernment. What is best for the cat.
>> And it`s only one persons thoughts.
>

As the other posters said some very good points and remedies but one thing
not touched if there is nothing wrong physical or mentally wrong with they
cats. Some cats that were feral can never be tamed ever. I have
encountered some very nasty cats that had all the medical treatments to try
and help. Some animals can not be tamed ever.

But please don't not give up keep trying. I

RobZip
September 14th 06, 12:57 AM
"JJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Try FELIWAY spray, read up on this.

Oh, this is good.... A possibly semi-feral cat, brought into a new
environment, and you advocate confounding the only senses he trusts for his
own security with chemical alteration.

> If you want to give him love and attention and pet him, as soon as he
> becomes unruly - STOP - do not go further. If he turns and s you tell
> him no and immediately spray him if he starts biting you. YOU WILL
> HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT. Eventually you can wean him off .......

Excuse me, but I do believe there has been more than ample time for some
sign of adjustment.

> Lastly, consult your veterinarian regarding putting kitty on some
> sedatives. This might make him feel better and make his new life more
> humane.
>Ask about valium supplements or natural ones like "rescue remedy" or
> herbs.

But of course... why didn't I think of that!!!! If you can't derail his
senses to quash his spirit, and planet fuzzy bunny behavior mods don't work,
then take a cat that was never meant to be yours and drug him into
submission.

> Consider interactive toys so kitty can burn off excessive, penned up
> energy, such as toys etc. so kitty cat bite the toys etc and not you.

Uh... please.. come back to the herd.mmmkay? This is a CAT being spoken of,
not a Down's Syndrome human child.

> Last, but not least, check kitties diet, make sure kitty is on top
> notch food. Not cheap crap full of junk.

A diet induced personality disorder.... well, ****... why not?

> One more thing, have kitty checked by a vet. Get a complete blood
> work-up, rule out medical causes for his ill behavior. He could be in
> pain or have something wrong and his only way to tell you is for him to
> act-up. He might some neurological problems or other things...Get a
> trained veterinarian to rule out problems, seek one that is cat saavy.

A trained vet as opposed to what? A witch doctor vet?

I'm with Lightwell on this one.... Some cats simply have no desire for, or
tolerance of, human company. Face it - that's who they are and attempts to
change via all the drugs, behavior mods, and neuro testing crap you advocate
won't change a thing. I'd laugh like hell if you ran up a huge vet bill
doing all that stuff and the cat bolted out the door, leaving you with the
bill, never to be seen again.

cybercat
September 14th 06, 01:27 AM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
...
>
> "JJ" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Try FELIWAY spray, read up on this.
>
> Oh, this is good.... A possibly semi-feral cat, brought into a new
> environment, and you advocate confounding the only senses he trusts for
his
> own security with chemical alteration.

You are such a ****ing idiot. Jeeeezus.

RobZip
September 14th 06, 04:00 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>> > Try FELIWAY spray, read up on this.
>>
>> Oh, this is good.... A possibly semi-feral cat, brought into a new
>> environment, and you advocate confounding the only senses he trusts for
> his
>> own security with chemical alteration.
>
> You are such a ****ing idiot. Jeeeezus.
>
That's exactly what it is..... The cat is not reacting out of any stimulus
that Feliway will help. The cat simply is not content in that environment.

RobZip
September 14th 06, 04:05 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
> You are such a ****ing idiot. Jeeeezus.
>
If you read the lab results and trials documentation for Feliway, it pretty
clearly states the best results are achieved in new environments. When a cat
has been in the environment 4 months and rejected it, along with any and all
other attempts at socialization, it's not going to change his attitude.

September 14th 06, 06:43 AM
pjc wrote:
> My wife and I woke up one morning to the sound of two cats fighting.
> We had went to see what all the comotion was a about and we noticed a
> beautiful bengal mix cat that had been hurt and looking for food.
>
> The problem we are having is that he's very aggressive towards humans
> and other cats. He bites, scratches and jumps whenever someone enters
> the room.

SomeBengals are litke that. Outdoors is yr best bet

pjc
September 14th 06, 05:37 PM
wrote:
> pjc wrote:
> > My wife and I woke up one morning to the sound of two cats fighting.
> > We had went to see what all the comotion was a about and we noticed a
> > beautiful bengal mix cat that had been hurt and looking for food.
> >
> > The problem we are having is that he's very aggressive towards humans
> > and other cats. He bites, scratches and jumps whenever someone enters
> > the room.
>
> SomeBengals are litke that. Outdoors is yr best bet

I live in Long Island, NY....can cats survive outdoors in the cold
weather providing they have food and water? We are trying to figure
out the best thing for him. Again, he's also fixed.

dgk
September 14th 06, 06:18 PM
On 14 Sep 2006 09:37:06 -0700, "pjc" > wrote:

>
wrote:
>> pjc wrote:
>> > My wife and I woke up one morning to the sound of two cats fighting.
>> > We had went to see what all the comotion was a about and we noticed a
>> > beautiful bengal mix cat that had been hurt and looking for food.
>> >
>> > The problem we are having is that he's very aggressive towards humans
>> > and other cats. He bites, scratches and jumps whenever someone enters
>> > the room.
>>
>> SomeBengals are litke that. Outdoors is yr best bet
>
>I live in Long Island, NY....can cats survive outdoors in the cold
>weather providing they have food and water? We are trying to figure
>out the best thing for him. Again, he's also fixed.

I live in Flushing and I know of a lady living a mile away that feeds
a whole bunch of outdoor cats that seem to survive the winter. She has
a few shelters in her yard and puts out food every day. She also has a
few indoor cats. A neighbor does the trap and release for her.

The winter isn't easy on them but they do survive.

dgk
September 14th 06, 06:28 PM
On 14 Sep 2006 02:27:07 +0200, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>
>"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
...
>>
>> "JJ" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Try FELIWAY spray, read up on this.
>>
>> Oh, this is good.... A possibly semi-feral cat, brought into a new
>> environment, and you advocate confounding the only senses he trusts for
>his
>> own security with chemical alteration.
>
>You are such a ****ing idiot. Jeeeezus.
>

While it is possible that he is a ****ing idiot, that doesn't preclude
the chance that he's right. The OP has researched and spent four
months trying to domesticate this cat, to no avail. There is a chance
that the cat can get out and seriously hurt his other cats which would
really be a mess.

Perhaps the cat just wants to be outside and take its chances in the
great outdoors. I say do all that can be done, such as a shelter and
make sure that he gets some food. If he wants, he'll stick around, if
not, he goes where he wants to go.

Turning him into a shelter means that he's certainly going to die
soon. Humanely perhaps, but dead is dead.

darth_breather[email protected].com
September 15th 06, 08:46 AM
pjc wrote:

>
> I live in Long Island, NY....can cats survive outdoors in the cold
> weather providing they have food and water? We are trying to figure
> out the best thing for him. Again, he's also fixed.

You can also provide shelter. someone I know does this by leaving the
garage door slightly open in bad weather and having a cat basket
inside. their careful when they drive in or out.