PDA

View Full Version : sick cat unexplained symptoms

lmathias
September 14th 06, 03:46 PM
I have a 18 month spayed female cat who got sick about a month ago. She went outside, but loud noises always made her run inside (we left the patio door open for her this summer). ON a friday night, she was nowhere to be found, we searched outdooors in the woods next to our yard, in the barn, the garage, the attic in the house - we couldn't find her, and it happened to be about 95-100 degrees and very humid over the weekend. I finally found her Monday evening hiding in the attic. She was a little dehydrated and tired. I cooled her down and tried to give her some water which she did not want to drink. I gave her some baby food, that is all she could eat, didn't want dry food nor her favorite soft kitty treats. All she did was walk around the house. We did take her to the vet, they found nothing physically wrong with her, they kept her overnight, took a complete blood count work, and gave her intravenous fluids, and said her temperature was low - 99 degrees. They kept her a second night, saying her temperature was low, and the blood work came back indicating nothing was wrong. We brang her home. She laid around the first day, she didn't want to walk or eat. I forced her to walk by having her follow a string around the house. I made her gruel with canned cat food for her to eat. AFter a week, she walks and can eat only canned food. She cannot use the litter pan, pees and poops wherever. Now, about 3 weeks later, she is better, but she is not herself. She can only eay canned food, she tries the dry food, but cannot swallow it and spits it up. She cannot smell, is always licking to see what is by her. She cannot jump up onto anything, she can jump off the couch, bed, etc. It's almost like she forgot how to play, use the litterpan. And she has developed this need to be by our one dog, who doesn't usually like the cat to be by him. Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms?

Gail
September 14th 06, 07:20 PM
See another vet. There is something definitely wrong. Also, continue to feed
her canned food as she needs the nutrients.
Gail
"lmathias" > wrote in message

> I have a 18 month spayed female cat who got sick about a month ago. She
> went outside, but loud noises always made her run inside (we left the
> patio door open for her this summer). ON a friday night, she was
> nowhere to be found, we searched outdooors in the woods next to our
> yard, in the barn, the garage, the attic in the house - we couldn't
> find her, and it happened to be about 95-100 degrees and very humid
> over the weekend. I finally found her Monday evening hiding in the
> attic. She was a little dehydrated and tired. I cooled her down and
> tried to give her some water which she did not want to drink. I gave
> her some baby food, that is all she could eat, didn't want dry food nor
> her favorite soft kitty treats. All she did was walk around the house.
> We did take her to the vet, they found nothing physically wrong with
> her, they kept her overnight, took a complete blood count work, and
> gave her intravenous fluids, and said her temperature was low - 99
> degrees. They kept her a second night, saying her temperature was low,
> and the blood work came back indicating nothing was wrong. We brang her
> home. She laid around the first day, she didn't want to walk or eat. I
> forced her to walk by having her follow a string around the house. I
> made her gruel with canned cat food for her to eat. AFter a week, she
> walks and can eat only canned food. She cannot use the litter pan,
> pees and poops wherever. Now, about 3 weeks later, she is better, but
> she is not herself. She can only eay canned food, she tries the dry
> food, but cannot swallow it and spits it up. She cannot smell, is
> always licking to see what is by her. She cannot jump up onto
> anything, she can jump off the couch, bed, etc. It's almost like she
> forgot how to play, use the litterpan. And she has developed this need
> to be by our one dog, who doesn't usually like the cat to be by him.
> Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms?
>

> --
> lmathias

Rhonda
September 15th 06, 07:18 AM
Gail wrote:
> See another vet. There is something definitely wrong. Also, continue to feed
> her canned food as she needs the nutrients.
> Gail

Ditto! Something is very wrong and if your vet can't find it -- get
another vet's opinion as soon as you can.

Rhonda