PDA

View Full Version : stop my cat going into place I don't want

September 14th 06, 02:46 PM
I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?

vividkid
> I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
> problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
> be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
> a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
> paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
> of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
> been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
> suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?

I have read about using regular mouse traps, flipped upside down,
placed in the areas you don't want the animal to go. I also have had a
friend use something called a scatmat for the counters, and now they
have placed on the floor to the baby's room. It's basically something
to give the cat (or you!) a shock similar to static electricity when it
is touched. Intensity can be adjusted, I believe. I have also seen a
spray type device that has motion sensors and sprays when something
passes in fron of it - made by the same company as the scatmat I
believe. Plus she's only 6 months old, and still has a lot to learn,
so also be patient with your baby.:)

dgk
September 14th 06, 06:33 PM
On 14 Sep 2006 06:46:34 -0700, wrote:

>I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
>problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
>be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
>a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
>paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
>of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
>been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
>suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?

I hope you get some good answers. She's a cat and they can sense where
you don't want them to go and they head right there. I just try to
keep them from dangerous areas but I've learned to minimze the
dangerous areas. The only sure solution is a locked door, and that
only works because they don't have opposable thumbs.

Buddy's Mom
September 14th 06, 07:56 PM
Six months is young. Probably spraying her with water is the best
tactic. But you have to be consistant and keep doing it. She may not
settle down until 1 or 2 years. Another good reason to get an adult
from the shelter!

wrote:
> I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
> problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
> be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
> a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
> paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
> of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
> been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
> suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?

BT1971 via CatKB.com
September 14th 06, 08:34 PM
>> suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?

You can tape balloons to the countertop or table. When a cat lands, it
usually extend it claws. POP! You may want to make sure the cat won't eat the
balloon peices. A small amount will probably pass, but if she decides she
likes it, it might create a problem

I just saw a product at the pet store. It is basically a can of compressed
air attached to a motion sensor. When the cat comes in range it hits that cat
with a stream of air and a loud hiss. I never used it, but is seems like it
would do the job. I think it was about $30 for the whole set up. The
replacement cans of air were only a few bucks.

good luck,
Brian

Matthew
September 14th 06, 08:56 PM
NEVER DO THAT WITH MOUSE TRAPS THINK ABOUT THE POSSIBLE RESULTS
"vividkid" > wrote in message

>> I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
>> problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
>> be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
>> a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
>> paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
>> of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
>> been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
>> suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?
>
> I have read about using regular mouse traps, flipped upside down,
> placed in the areas you don't want the animal to go. I also have had a
> friend use something called a scatmat for the counters, and now they
> have placed on the floor to the baby's room. It's basically something
> to give the cat (or you!) a shock similar to static electricity when it
> is touched. Intensity can be adjusted, I believe. I have also seen a
> spray type device that has motion sensors and sprays when something
> passes in fron of it - made by the same company as the scatmat I
> believe. Plus she's only 6 months old, and still has a lot to learn,
> so also be patient with your baby.:)

vividkid
September 14th 06, 09:52 PM
Matthew wrote:
> NEVER DO THAT WITH MOUSE TRAPS THINK ABOUT THE POSSIBLE RESULTS
> "vividkid" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> >> I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
> >> problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
> >> be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
> >> a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
> >> paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
> >> of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
> >> been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
> >> suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?
> >
> > I have read about using regular mouse traps, flipped upside down,
> > placed in the areas you don't want the animal to go. I also have had a
> > friend use something called a scatmat for the counters, and now they
> > have placed on the floor to the baby's room. It's basically something
> > to give the cat (or you!) a shock similar to static electricity when it
> > is touched. Intensity can be adjusted, I believe. I have also seen a
> > spray type device that has motion sensors and sprays when something
> > passes in fron of it - made by the same company as the scatmat I
> > believe. Plus she's only 6 months old, and still has a lot to learn,
> > so also be patient with your baby.:)

Well, I never offered my opinion on it. I don't personally like
mousetraps either, but I was simply answering the question about where
one would find "cat-mouse traps." And as for the scatmat, I don't
personally like that either because it is electricty after all. I
don't know about you, but I *HATE* getting shocked!! I had meant to
include my opinions of the matter, however, I was interrupted mid-post,
and then I had to leave. Thank you for reminding me to complete my
post. :)

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
September 15th 06, 04:55 AM
wrote:
>I have a 6 month old calico gray domestic female cat and I am having
>problems with her going into places, on things that I don't want her to
>be. She climbs on my table, kitch counters and behind a shelf that has
>a lot of wires. I have tried several things to stop her like sticky
>paws tape (double sided tape), black pepper and a water bottle and none
>of them work. Someone told me about mouse traps for cats but I have
>been unable to find them in my pet stores. Does anyone have any
>suggestions of where to find these or ways to stop her?

i would try the spray bottle. when you are away at work during the day you
could keep her in a room that's safe until she learns not to go in those
places and you can trust her by herself. just be sure to be consistent and be
aware if she's heading toward the forbidden areas.