PDA

View Full Version : moving cross country perhaps?

September 14th 06, 10:53 PM
I might be moving cross country with a cat who hates his box and meows
pitifully and loudly when in it.

he's old (14 yrs)

can anyone suggest a stress free or lower stress way of moving the cat
so we don't go mad?

Robin

cybercat
September 15th 06, 04:44 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I might be moving cross country with a cat who hates his box and meows
> pitifully and loudly when in it.
>
> he's old (14 yrs)
>
> can anyone suggest a stress free or lower stress way of moving the cat
> so we don't go mad?

You mean you are driving, right? I know you do.

I did this, in a moving van, which I drove. The cat was beside me in
a carrier, and we did make hotel stops, but she pretty much howled
the entire way. She was a young cat, too. I think you are wise to
be concerned about your senior cat.

1. You have to keep him in his box, it is just too dangerous not to. In
addition, invest in an escape-proof harness for him with a lead, and
have his identifying tag on it, just in case.

2. You need to arrange ahead of time for hotels that take pets. Many
do not. One chain that does is the "Extended Stay" chain:

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/?WT.srch=1

(Nothing fancy, but they do have kitchens, with microwaves,
ranges, and full fridges. Pick the newest one, as is always the
rule when going on the cheap! And they are cheap)

3. Don't worry too much about your cat eliminating or eating
while on the road--if he is like mine, he will not begin to relax
until you get to the hotel and settle in, then he will act like he
is at home. It was bizarre, she shrieked and howled, but as
soon as we hit the hotel it was tail held high, eating, eliminating,
purring, the whole thing.

4. Ask a trusted vet what he or she recommends, but I would
avoid drugging your cat. Like anesthesia, it can cause unintended
side effects.

(P. S. If I had it to do over I would hire movers and fly with my cat
in the cabin with me.)

September 15th 06, 05:17 AM
how do you fly with a cat in the cabin? I thought they had to be
checked. See what I know?

> (P. S. If I had it to do over I would hire movers and fly with my cat
> in the cabin with me.)

Rona Y.
> how do you fly with a cat in the cabin? I thought they had to be
> checked. See what I know?

It depends on the airline. If you're in Canada, Air Canada no longer
allows pets to fly in cabin (effective earlier this year), for domestic
*or* international flights. I think more and more airlines are going
to begin making that shift.

Rhonda
September 15th 06, 05:36 PM
Yes you can -- but you have to make reservations in advance. They only
allow a certain number (usually 2) in the cabin.

Rhonda

"Rona Y." > wrote in message

> > how do you fly with a cat in the cabin? I thought they had to be
> > checked. See what I know?
> >

> It depends on the airline. If you're in Canada, Air Canada no longer
> allows pets to fly in cabin (effective earlier this year), for domestic
> *or* international flights. I think more and more airlines are going
> to begin making that shift.

How could they, with all the people, particularly wealthy people,
who want to travel with their pets and are not even going to allow
them to be loaded into baggage?

Rona Y.
September 16th 06, 10:45 AM
cybercat wrote:

> How could they, with all the people, particularly wealthy people,
> who want to travel with their pets and are not even going to allow
> them to be loaded into baggage?

Does "in cabin" include as baggage? I'm not sure about my
airplane-related terminology, but i meant in the actual cabin where
passengers sit. They will still allow pets to fly as accompanied
baggage and as cargo. Seeing-eye dogs and the like are excepted, of
course.

Rona Y.
September 16th 06, 10:45 AM
cybercat wrote:

> How could they, with all the people, particularly wealthy people,
> who want to travel with their pets and are not even going to allow
> them to be loaded into baggage?

Does "in cabin" include as baggage? I'm not sure about my
airplane-related terminology, but i meant in the actual cabin where
passengers sit. They will still allow pets to fly as accompanied
baggage and as cargo. Seeing-eye dogs and the like are excepted, of
course.

Rona Y.
September 16th 06, 10:49 AM
Rona Y. wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> >
> > How could they, with all the people, particularly wealthy people,
> > who want to travel with their pets and are not even going to allow
> > them to be loaded into baggage?
> >

> Does "in cabin" include as baggage? I'm not sure about my
> airplane-related terminology, but i meant in the actual cabin where
> passengers sit. They will still allow pets to fly as accompanied
> baggage and as cargo. Seeing-eye dogs and the like are excepted, of
> course.

Sorry, I think I mis-read your post. I thought you meant the airline
not allowing the pets loaded into baggage, but I think you mean the
people who won't let their pets being loaded into baggage.

In Canada, such travel is not nearly as common as it is in the US. The
only times I've seen pets in cabin are when I've flown in the US,
actually, or between the US and Canada. I don't know why Air Canada
changed their policy, but I'm sure it had something to do with costs or
ease of travel (they're more strict with carry-on allowances now, too),
or both. If it's a matter of cost, it wouldn't surprise me to the
least to see US airlines follow suit, or if they were to start charging
much more for the privilege.

(Air Canada also started charging about twice as much for flying pets
as baggage or cargo.)

September 16th 06, 05:12 PM
for me, considering traveling with buddha is more about stress and
worry about his health, and less about snooty priivilege. I'm worried
because I have heard that traveling as baggage has killed pets in the
past, and he's my constant companion of the past 4 years, and important
to me.

cybercat wrote:
> "Rona Y." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> > > how do you fly with a cat in the cabin? I thought they had to be
> > > checked. See what I know?
> > >

> > It depends on the airline. If you're in Canada, Air Canada no longer
> > allows pets to fly in cabin (effective earlier this year), for domestic
> > *or* international flights. I think more and more airlines are going
> > to begin making that shift.
> >

> How could they, with all the people, particularly wealthy people,
> who want to travel with their pets and are not even going to allow
> them to be loaded into baggage?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> for me, considering traveling with buddha is more about stress and
> worry about his health, and less about snooty priivilege. I'm worried
> because I have heard that traveling as baggage has killed pets in the
> past, and he's my constant companion of the past 4 years, and important
> to me.

hey, you're reading things into my comment that I did not mean! I would
never put my cat in baggage, for the same reason you cite. I am hoping
that the number of wealthy first-class folks with pets will be an incentive
for the airlines to continue allowing pets in the cabin, is what I meant.
And
not just in first class, either.