PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Cat doesnt want to drink or eat

September 15th 06, 09:27 PM
Hi

My cat stopped wanting to eat more than a morsel and hardly drinks and
has been like this for about 4 days, she's done this before and i got
her better by giving her fresh prawns and that worked.

Just before she started doing this she was weeing more than normal
(about 4 times a day - normally twice a day but BIG wee's!), hard to
monitor how much she passes now as she goes out every evening but she
keeps doing that thing you do when you swallow food and opens her mouth
slightly....

she seems ok in herself but i know something is wrong as she;s not
eating chicken and prawns like she would normally, she's cat-orexic!

She's 4 years old and plump so i know she's not gonna starve in a hurry
but i am concerned about the low level of fluid intake...

Help!

Phil

Gail
September 15th 06, 09:35 PM
She needs to see a vet ASAP.
Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi
>
> My cat stopped wanting to eat more than a morsel and hardly drinks and
> has been like this for about 4 days, she's done this before and i got
> her better by giving her fresh prawns and that worked.
>
> Just before she started doing this she was weeing more than normal
> (about 4 times a day - normally twice a day but BIG wee's!), hard to
> monitor how much she passes now as she goes out every evening but she
> keeps doing that thing you do when you swallow food and opens her mouth
> slightly....
>
> she seems ok in herself but i know something is wrong as she;s not
> eating chicken and prawns like she would normally, she's cat-orexic!
>
> She's 4 years old and plump so i know she's not gonna starve in a hurry
> but i am concerned about the low level of fluid intake...
>
> Help!
>
> Phil

September 15th 06, 09:47 PM
why? last time they did nothing....

Phil
Gail wrote:

> She needs to see a vet ASAP.
> Gail
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > My cat stopped wanting to eat more than a morsel and hardly drinks and
> > has been like this for about 4 days, she's done this before and i got
> > her better by giving her fresh prawns and that worked.
> >
> > Just before she started doing this she was weeing more than normal
> > (about 4 times a day - normally twice a day but BIG wee's!), hard to
> > monitor how much she passes now as she goes out every evening but she
> > keeps doing that thing you do when you swallow food and opens her mouth
> > slightly....
> >
> > she seems ok in herself but i know something is wrong as she;s not
> > eating chicken and prawns like she would normally, she's cat-orexic!
> >
> > She's 4 years old and plump so i know she's not gonna starve in a hurry
> > but i am concerned about the low level of fluid intake...
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Phil

September 15th 06, 09:54 PM
i mean i'm gonna take her tomorrow AM, its 10pm here now...

just got a pipette and squirted quite a bit of water down her
throat..... she just looks moody now.

skype chat me - pinballheaven

Phil

wrote:

> why? last time they did nothing....
>
> Phil
> Gail wrote:
>
> > She needs to see a vet ASAP.
> > Gail
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > My cat stopped wanting to eat more than a morsel and hardly drinks and
> > > has been like this for about 4 days, she's done this before and i got
> > > her better by giving her fresh prawns and that worked.
> > >
> > > Just before she started doing this she was weeing more than normal
> > > (about 4 times a day - normally twice a day but BIG wee's!), hard to
> > > monitor how much she passes now as she goes out every evening but she
> > > keeps doing that thing you do when you swallow food and opens her mouth
> > > slightly....
> > >
> > > she seems ok in herself but i know something is wrong as she;s not
> > > eating chicken and prawns like she would normally, she's cat-orexic!
> > >
> > > She's 4 years old and plump so i know she's not gonna starve in a hurry
> > > but i am concerned about the low level of fluid intake...
> > >
> > > Help!
> > >
> > > Phil

Rhonda
September 15th 06, 09:54 PM
Something is very wrong with her and she needs a good vet. If your vet
did nothing and couldn't find anything wrong -- try a better vet!

Cats can't go without eating for very long, especially plump ones. They
very quickly, in a day or two, can get fatty liver disease from not eating.

Rhonda

wrote:
> why? last time they did nothing....
>
> Phil
> Gail wrote:
>

>>She needs to see a vet ASAP.
>>Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>My cat stopped wanting to eat more than a morsel and hardly drinks and
>>>has been like this for about 4 days, she's done this before and i got
>>>her better by giving her fresh prawns and that worked.
>>>
>>>Just before she started doing this she was weeing more than normal
>>>(about 4 times a day - normally twice a day but BIG wee's!), hard to
>>>monitor how much she passes now as she goes out every evening but she
>>>keeps doing that thing you do when you swallow food and opens her mouth
>>>slightly....
>>>
>>>she seems ok in herself but i know something is wrong as she;s not
>>>eating chicken and prawns like she would normally, she's cat-orexic!
>>>
>>>She's 4 years old and plump so i know she's not gonna starve in a hurry
>>>but i am concerned about the low level of fluid intake...
>>>
>>>Help!
>>>
>>>Phil

September 15th 06, 09:58 PM
they gave her anti biotics etc but couldnt find a reason why she didnt
want to eat, at first, last time, she looked like she couldnt chew with
her full mouth, almost like you'd expect if she'd had a stroke and was
half paralised... but then got better after a diet of king prawns for 2
days.

she is eating but very little, and drinking but very little, how much
should a cat actually drink and eat?!

she's a house cat for 21 hours a day as i dont let her go out when i'm
not at home or at night (after losing 2 other cats to the main road) so
i dont know if that's upsetting her the fact she cant go out...

Rhonda wrote:

> Something is very wrong with her and she needs a good vet. If your vet
> did nothing and couldn't find anything wrong -- try a better vet!
>
> Cats can't go without eating for very long, especially plump ones. They
> very quickly, in a day or two, can get fatty liver disease from not eating.
>
> Rhonda
>
> wrote:
> > why? last time they did nothing....
> >
> > Phil
> > Gail wrote:
> >

> >>She needs to see a vet ASAP.
> >>Gail
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

Rhonda
September 15th 06, 10:10 PM
I can't imagine she would be upset enough about not going out that she
would not eat or drink. It sounds to me like there is something else
going on.

If she was on antibiotics, that could have been what made her better the
first time, instead of just the diet.

Did the vet thoroughly check her mouth? Infected teeth are a pretty
common issue in cats and cause all kinds of problems.

I really would take her to another vet, it doesn't hurt to get another
medical opinion. There is something wrong, it just may take some
persistence to find out what that is.

Good luck,

Rhonda

wrote:

>>>why? last time they did nothing....
>>>
>>>Phil

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> [...]

September 15th 06, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I'll take her to a different vet tomorrow am.

Yeah they checked her mouth, i took her back a few times to check
progress but they couldnt see anything wrong with her.

Thanks.

Phil

Rhonda wrote:

> I can't imagine she would be upset enough about not going out that she
> would not eat or drink. It sounds to me like there is something else
> going on.
>
> If she was on antibiotics, that could have been what made her better the
> first time, instead of just the diet.
>
> Did the vet thoroughly check her mouth? Infected teeth are a pretty
> common issue in cats and cause all kinds of problems.
>
> I really would take her to another vet, it doesn't hurt to get another
> medical opinion. There is something wrong, it just may take some
> persistence to find out what that is.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda
>
> wrote:
> > they gave her anti biotics etc but couldnt find a reason why she didnt
> > want to eat, at first, last time, she looked like she couldnt chew with
> > her full mouth, almost like you'd expect if she'd had a stroke and was
> > half paralised... but then got better after a diet of king prawns for 2
> > days.
> >
> > she is eating but very little, and drinking but very little, how much
> > should a cat actually drink and eat?!
> >
> > she's a house cat for 21 hours a day as i dont let her go out when i'm
> > not at home or at night (after losing 2 other cats to the main road) so
> > i dont know if that's upsetting her the fact she cant go out...

> > Rhonda wrote:
> >

> >>Something is very wrong with her and she needs a good vet. If your vet
> >>did nothing and couldn't find anything wrong -- try a better vet!
> >>
> >>Cats can't go without eating for very long, especially plump ones. They
> >>very quickly, in a day or two, can get fatty liver disease from not eating.
> >>
> >>Rhonda

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

Rhonda
September 16th 06, 04:53 AM
Let us know what they say tomorrow! Hope they can find the source.

Rhonda

wrote:
> Thanks, I'll take her to a different vet tomorrow am.
>
> Yeah they checked her mouth, i took her back a few times to check
> progress but they couldnt see anything wrong with her.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Phil

September 16th 06, 10:27 AM
OK, went to vets, and just as he was about to take her temperature up
her bum, a MASSIVE absess caused by a cat bite on her bum cheek burst
all over his table, it was really big!

GROSS!

But he said that's the cause as she would feel very unwell and had a
temperature but given her anti-biotics for now...

Thanks all

Phil + Tyson the cat.

Rhonda wrote:
> Let us know what they say tomorrow! Hope they can find the source.
>
> Rhonda
>
> wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll take her to a different vet tomorrow am.
> >
> > Yeah they checked her mouth, i took her back a few times to check
> > progress but they couldnt see anything wrong with her.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Phil

Kats'n Us
September 17th 06, 02:17 AM
wrote:
> OK, went to vets, and just as he was about to take her temperature up
> her bum, a MASSIVE absess caused by a cat bite on her bum cheek burst
> all over his table, it was really big!
>
> GROSS!
>
> But he said that's the cause as she would feel very unwell and had a
> temperature but given her anti-biotics for now...
>
> Thanks all
>
> Phil + Tyson the cat.
>
> Rhonda wrote:
> > Let us know what they say tomorrow! Hope they can find the source.
> >
> > Rhonda
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Thanks, I'll take her to a different vet tomorrow am.
> > >
> > > Yeah they checked her mouth, i took her back a few times to check
> > > progress but they couldnt see anything wrong with her.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Phil

Hi I am new to this group! I just read all that you went through! Good
for you that you got another opinion! Absesses are hard to find
sometimes on a cat 'cause their wounds close up so fast. I had a cat
one time that kept following me around for 2 weeks! This was very
unusual behavior for him. I finally looked at him and said "What do you
want?" He turned his head and ripped open this wound on his shoulder!!!
Then looked at me like he was saying "Now will you take me to the vet?"
Besides following me around too much there was no other changes in him.
His whole shoulder area was swallon and the vet found 2 absseses on
him!! He was an indoor/outdoor cat and of course very "Alpha". So after
that I always kept an eye on him. Hope your cat heals quickly and
starts eating and drinking more! Sue

Rhonda
September 17th 06, 05:30 AM
Wow, I'll bet that was a shocker!

I'm so glad you took her in for another opinion. Hopefully, she's
feeling much better by now and will heal nicely.

Good job!

Take care,

Rhonda

wrote:

>>>Thanks, I'll take her to a different vet tomorrow am.
>>>
>>>Yeah they checked her mouth, i took her back a few times to check
>>>progress but they couldnt see anything wrong with her.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Phil

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
September 17th 06, 06:50 AM
wrote:
>OK, went to vets, and just as he was about to take her temperature up
>her bum, a MASSIVE absess caused by a cat bite on her bum cheek burst
>all over his table, it was really big!
>
>GROSS!
>
>But he said that's the cause as she would feel very unwell and had a
>temperature but given her anti-biotics for now...
>
>Thanks all
>
>Phil + Tyson the cat.

oh my gosh!!! weird and sick and good news at the same time!