PDA

View Full Version : 6 mos old cat sucks on clothing

September 16th 06, 04:05 PM
Hello
My 6 month old sucks on my clothing at night when we are sleeping. If I
try to stop her and redirect her, she goes around to my neck and sucks
on my gown from there. She is a stray I adopted and I was wondering if
this is something that anyone else has ran into with their cat. My last
cat never did this so it is new to me. I would appreciate your
feedback. Thank You

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hello
> My 6 month old sucks on my clothing at night when we are sleeping. If I
> try to stop her and redirect her, she goes around to my neck and sucks
> on my gown from there. She is a stray I adopted and I was wondering if
> this is something that anyone else has ran into with their cat. My last
> cat never did this so it is new to me. I would appreciate your
> feedback. Thank You

Tt is not as uncommon as you think, and some think it is a response to
being taken from their mothers too soon. I knew a cat that did this
only to earlobes! Quite a surprise when you picked him up.

I imagine giving her maybe a plush toy that has fabric similar to what
she likes to suck might help? Bless you for adopting her, she sounds like
a doll.

Gail
September 16th 06, 05:21 PM
She probably was taken from her mother too soon. Others have cats who have
done this, also. She sees you as her mother.
Gail
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hello
> My 6 month old sucks on my clothing at night when we are sleeping. If I
> try to stop her and redirect her, she goes around to my neck and sucks
> on my gown from there. She is a stray I adopted and I was wondering if
> this is something that anyone else has ran into with their cat. My last
> cat never did this so it is new to me. I would appreciate your
> feedback. Thank You

JeanC
> Hello
> My 6 month old sucks on my clothing at night when we are sleeping. If I
> try to stop her and redirect her, she goes around to my neck and sucks
> on my gown from there. She is a stray I adopted and I was wondering if
> this is something that anyone else has ran into with their cat. My last
> cat never did this so it is new to me. I would appreciate your
> feedback. Thank You

Our kitty Rum Tum does this. He was accidentally abandoned by his
mother when he was only a few weeks old (she was a feral who was moving
the kittens and got spooked, dropped him and never came back for him).
He usually does it with fuzzy clothes and blankets. He's a year old and
still does it on occasion.

ean C
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
Margaret Mead
http://www.uidaho.edu/~bjcraw/
JeanC's Cat House & Shooting Society
http://jeancscathouseandshootingsociety.blogspot.com/

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
September 16th 06, 10:30 PM
It's called pica and can be linked to separation anxiety. Primarily seen in
indoor cats.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/fabric_eating_in_cats.htm

However, I'd recommend taking her to vet to discount medical reasons.

wrote:
>Hello
>My 6 month old sucks on my clothing at night when we are sleeping. If I
>try to stop her and redirect her, she goes around to my neck and sucks
>on my gown from there. She is a stray I adopted and I was wondering if
>this is something that anyone else has ran into with their cat. My last
>cat never did this so it is new to me. I would appreciate your
>feedback. Thank You

Lynne
September 17th 06, 04:16 AM
cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > Hello
> > My 6 month old sucks on my clothing at night when we are sleeping. If I
> > try to stop her and redirect her, she goes around to my neck and sucks
> > on my gown from there. She is a stray I adopted and I was wondering if
> > this is something that anyone else has ran into with their cat. My last
> > cat never did this so it is new to me. I would appreciate your
> > feedback. Thank You
> >

> Tt is not as uncommon as you think, and some think it is a response to
> being taken from their mothers too soon. I knew a cat that did this
> only to earlobes! Quite a surprise when you picked him up.
>
> I imagine giving her maybe a plush toy that has fabric similar to what
> she likes to suck might help? Bless you for adopting her, she sounds like
> a doll.

My 5 week old kitten was abandoned at birth and hand raised. He
suckles on our lips. Having nursed two babies, my heart goes out to
these kittens who don't get the suckling they needed, and so I let him
do it even though it leaves blisters. I tried to find a safe kitten
pacifer, but had no luck. I don't recommend kitten bottle nipples...
our little guy swallowed one and had me walking on pins for days.

What is the harm in letting a kitten suckle on fabric so long as they
are not ingesting it? I wish my Levi would, my lips look like hell!
=)

I think if someone would manufacture a safe kitten binky, there would
be a market for it!

Lynne
September 17th 06, 04:32 AM
I just realized your kitten is probably disturbing your sleep. (Of
course!) Perhaps you could take an extra nightgown to bed, let her
suck on it and, as your kitten gets sleeply, slowly move it so she can
still cuddle you but suck on the extra gown?

The above was typed while my lip was getting sucked again!