PDA

View Full Version : Sick cat, please help!


romeocat79
September 17th 06, 01:24 PM
For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right eye
is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the place
when he sneezes. While he seems a bit sleepy, prob. due to being up most of
the night sneezing, his appetite is fine, wont stop begging for food. Cant'
take him to the vet until Monday morning (closed for the weekend). Have an
emergency vet but I do not feel comfortable taking my pet there due to
experiences in the past. It was suggested that I give him children's benadry,
is this safe? Also what could cause this? I moved about a month ago,
several feral cats live in the area around my home but I keep him inside.
Could cats undernearth the house somehow transmit something to him indoors?
this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause this?
He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or anything.

The Polish-Kraut
September 17th 06, 03:22 PM
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:24:28 GMT, "romeocat79" <[email protected]> wrote:

>For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right eye
>is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the place
>when he sneezes. While he seems a bit sleepy, prob. due to being up most of
>the night sneezing, his appetite is fine, wont stop begging for food. Cant'
>take him to the vet until Monday morning (closed for the weekend). Have an
>emergency vet but I do not feel comfortable taking my pet there due to
>experiences in the past. It was suggested that I give him children's benadry,
>is this safe? Also what could cause this? I moved about a month ago,
>several feral cats live in the area around my home but I keep him inside.
>Could cats undernearth the house somehow transmit something to him indoors?
>this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause this?
>He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or anything.


What are chances of taking it to an animal emergency clinic?? Around
here there are 2 that I know of. In fact when I call our local vet
during closed hours their recording gives the animal emergency phone
numbers.


My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

blkcatgal
September 17th 06, 03:24 PM
Sounds like an upper respiratory infection. He really needs to be seen by a
vet. I'd get him to the vet as soon as you can on Monday (if you really
don't want to go to the ER vet). I would not give any medication without
the approval of a veterinarian.

Sue
"romeocat79" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right
> eye
> is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the
> place
> when he sneezes. While he seems a bit sleepy, prob. due to being up most
> of
> the night sneezing, his appetite is fine, wont stop begging for food.
> Cant'
> take him to the vet until Monday morning (closed for the weekend). Have
> an
> emergency vet but I do not feel comfortable taking my pet there due to
> experiences in the past. It was suggested that I give him children's
> benadry,
> is this safe? Also what could cause this? I moved about a month ago,
> several feral cats live in the area around my home but I keep him inside.
> Could cats undernearth the house somehow transmit something to him
> indoors?
> this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause
> this?
> He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or
> anything.
>

Gail
September 17th 06, 04:41 PM
I agree.
Gail
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sounds like an upper respiratory infection. He really needs to be seen by
> a vet. I'd get him to the vet as soon as you can on Monday (if you really
> don't want to go to the ER vet). I would not give any medication without
> the approval of a veterinarian.
>
> Sue
> "romeocat79" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right
>> eye
>> is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the
>> place
>> when he sneezes. While he seems a bit sleepy, prob. due to being up most
>> of
>> the night sneezing, his appetite is fine, wont stop begging for food.
>> Cant'
>> take him to the vet until Monday morning (closed for the weekend). Have
>> an
>> emergency vet but I do not feel comfortable taking my pet there due to
>> experiences in the past. It was suggested that I give him children's
>> benadry,
>> is this safe? Also what could cause this? I moved about a month ago,
>> several feral cats live in the area around my home but I keep him inside.
>> Could cats undernearth the house somehow transmit something to him
>> indoors?
>> this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause
>> this?
>> He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or
>> anything.
>>
>
>

Matthew
September 17th 06, 04:48 PM
Isn't benadryl poisonous to cats

Lightwell
September 17th 06, 04:58 PM
romeocat79 schrieb:

> For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right eye
> is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the place
> when he sneezes. While he seems a bit sleepy, prob. due to being up most of
> the night sneezing, his appetite is fine, wont stop begging for food. Cant'
> take him to the vet until Monday morning (closed for the weekend). Have an
> emergency vet but I do not feel comfortable taking my pet there due to
> experiences in the past. It was suggested that I give him children's benadry,
> is this safe? Also what could cause this? I moved about a month ago,
> several feral cats live in the area around my home but I keep him inside.
> Could cats undernearth the house somehow transmit something to him indoors?
> this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause this?
> He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or anything.


Please, don`t ever give human medicine to cats. It could be toxic to
cats.
No aspirin, no tea trea oil, (those are definitely poisonous to cats),
no nothing.

Rhonda
September 17th 06, 06:39 PM
I don't think a cat outside could give something to your cat -- but I'm
not a vet! I think most things they transmit have to be like a sneeze
droplet or litter box contact.

Did it come on this bad, quickly? Cats can get things caught up in their
sinuses, especially things like grass. We had a cat that got a piece of
hay way up in his nose and throat.

I wouldn't give him Benadryl, you don't know what's wrong with him or if
it's safe.

Cats can still get URI's with the vaccine, but I believe it's usually a
lesser version. A person at work had a cat with a URI would would sneeze
lots of gross stuff all over the place.

Hope he is okay to wait until tomorrow, let us know what happens.

Rhonda

romeocat79 wrote:
> For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right eye
> is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the place
> when he sneezes. While he seems a bit sleepy, prob. due to being up most of
> the night sneezing, his appetite is fine, wont stop begging for food. Cant'
> take him to the vet until Monday morning (closed for the weekend). Have an
> emergency vet but I do not feel comfortable taking my pet there due to
> experiences in the past. It was suggested that I give him children's benadry,
> is this safe? Also what could cause this? I moved about a month ago,
> several feral cats live in the area around my home but I keep him inside.
> Could cats undernearth the house somehow transmit something to him indoors?
> this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause this?
> He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or anything.
>

romeocat79 via CatKB.com
September 19th 06, 12:23 AM
Thank you for your replies. I actually called the emergency vet and they are
the ones who told me to use benadryl. Held off on it though, didnt quite
trust advice over the phone without them seeing my cat. I woke up today and
he was fine, completely stopped sneezing and back to his old hyper self. My
regular vet said not to worry about him unless it starts up again so just
gonna keep an eye on him. Thank you for all the advice.

Rhonda wrote:
>I don't think a cat outside could give something to your cat -- but I'm
>not a vet! I think most things they transmit have to be like a sneeze
>droplet or litter box contact.
>
>Did it come on this bad, quickly? Cats can get things caught up in their
>sinuses, especially things like grass. We had a cat that got a piece of
>hay way up in his nose and throat.
>
>I wouldn't give him Benadryl, you don't know what's wrong with him or if
>it's safe.
>
>Cats can still get URI's with the vaccine, but I believe it's usually a
>lesser version. A person at work had a cat with a URI would would sneeze
>lots of gross stuff all over the place.
>
>Hope he is okay to wait until tomorrow, let us know what happens.
>
>Rhonda
>
>> For the last couple of days my cat has been sneezing non-stop. His right eye
>> is watering and his nose is running so bad that it sprays all over the place
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> this just started recently. Could a window air conditioning unit cause this?
>> He has had all his vaccines (in May) so he shouldn't have a uip or anything.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200609/1

Rhonda
September 20th 06, 05:29 AM
romeocat79 via CatKB.com wrote:
> Thank you for your replies. I actually called the emergency vet and they are
> the ones who told me to use benadryl. Held off on it though, didnt quite
> trust advice over the phone without them seeing my cat. I woke up today and
> he was fine, completely stopped sneezing and back to his old hyper self. My
> regular vet said not to worry about him unless it starts up again so just
> gonna keep an eye on him. Thank you for all the advice.


Glad he's better. I hope it was just a passing thing...

Rhonda

Petzl
September 20th 06, 12:07 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

|| Isn't benadryl poisonous to cats

Many things even asprin can be harmful to cats
Check with a vet
In cats, oral diphenhydramine (BenadrylŪ) is bitter and can cause profuse,
yet temporary, drooling
--

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Emaill service for a spamfree inbox