PDA

View Full Version : How long before a cat learns his name?

blkcatgal
September 17th 06, 03:29 PM
I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?

Sue

Niel Humphreys
September 17th 06, 10:19 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
>old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
>name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
>be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
>to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?

Some do some never will. Of the 5 cats I have had only 2 of them responded
to their names though my new kitty 'Pink' does seem to respond to being
called "sweety pie" :)

--

Niel H

Niel Humphreys
September 17th 06, 10:23 PM
"Niel Humphreys" > wrote in
message ...
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
>>old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
>>name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
>>be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will
>>respond to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?
>

> Some do some never will. Of the 5 cats I have had only 2 of them responded
> to their names though my new kitty 'Pink' does seem to respond to being
> called "sweety pie" :)

....oh and Thor responds to the microwave beeping as it usually means a bowl
to lick clean, he's a little gannet!
--

Niel H

Charlie Wilkes
September 17th 06, 11:09 PM
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:29:17 -0400, "blkcatgal"
> wrote:

>I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
>old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
>name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
>be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
>to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?
>
>Sue

I don't think cats respond to specific verbal patterns in the way dogs
do. My particular cat takes note of my voice and will usually come to
me when I talk to him. It's not like calling a dog, but more a
matter of getting his attention. I could probably throw a wad of
paper at him and get the same result.

Not that I would ever abuse my poor kitty in such an abominable
manner...

Charlie

John Ross Mc Master
September 17th 06, 11:27 PM
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:29:17 -0400, "blkcatgal"
> wrote:

>I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
>old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
>name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
>be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
>to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?
>
>Sue

Beauty knows her name but Cinder only responds when I exitedly shout
"CHOONA" and make with the can opener.

"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote:

> Beauty knows her name but Cinder only responds when I exitedly shout
> "CHOONA" and make with the can opener.

lol

September 18th 06, 02:21 AM
In article >,
says...
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
> >old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
> >name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
> >be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
> >to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?
>

> Some do some never will. Of the 5 cats I have had only 2 of them responded
> to their names though my new kitty 'Pink' does seem to respond to being
> called "sweety pie" :)

Of the three cats I've had all of the knew their names. Generally took a
month or two. Constant repetition helps.

September 18th 06, 02:22 AM
In article >,
says...
> "Niel Humphreys" > wrote in
> message ...
> > "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >>I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
> >>old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
> >>name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
> >>be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will
> >>respond to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?
> >

> > Some do some never will. Of the 5 cats I have had only 2 of them responded
> > to their names though my new kitty 'Pink' does seem to respond to being
> > called "sweety pie" :)
>

> ...oh and Thor responds to the microwave beeping as it usually means a bowl
> to lick clean, he's a little gannet!

In this household the suitability of food for humans is first judged by
the felid members of the household. If they're not whining and meowing
it probably isn't going to taste good.

ainon
September 18th 06, 04:07 AM
blkcatgal wrote:
> I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
> old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
> name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
> be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
> to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?
>
> Sue

Hello..
I'm Ainon from Malaysia
I have faced your problem before and I still do not know how to solve
it.
hope we can share information together.Thank you.
bye.

Elizabeth Blake
September 18th 06, 04:09 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a year
>old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will call his
>name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I thought he might
>be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3 year old cat will respond
>to his name. How long does it take for a cat to learn its name?

Mine all learned quickly. Tiger was the only one who kept her original
name. Otto I found on the street when he was around 6 months old and I
don't know if he had a name. He was definitely not a feral/stray - he had
been dumped - so I assume he was called something by someone. Stinky was
only 3 months old and wasn't at the shelter long when I got her. Harriet
was 1 1/2 years old and in the shelter they said her name was Jessie. I
changed it, she adapted. Same with Isaac. He was 1 1/2 and had been named
Garfield by his original owner(s). The woman at the shelter said I
shouldn't change his name but there was no way I was owning a cat named
Garfield. Only later did I realize how fitting it was, because he sure does
love to eat! But he adapted to Isaac quickly and he knows it's his name.

--
Liz

bobblespin
September 18th 06, 04:51 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in
:

> I adopted an 8 month old kitten about 6 months ago. Now he is over a
> year old but he still doesn't respond to his name when called. I will
> call his name and he usually doesn't even look at me. At first, I
> thought he might be deaf, but he does react to other noises. My 3
> year old cat will respond to his name. How long does it take for a
> cat to learn its name?
>
> Sue

All of mine learned quickly because every time I put that cat's food dish
down I say its name at the same time. Soon they come running when they are
called by name because they associate it with food.

Bobble

--
Save the earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html

Grawun
September 18th 06, 10:08 PM
My cat was about a year and a half old when I brought her home. She was
terrified and spent the first days under the bed.I didn't like her name
and knew I would change it but I didn't know what it would be. Those
first days I would go lie on the floor and talk to her under the bed. I
would try out different names to see how they felt. The name I was
callng her when she came out from under the bed is her name now. It
fits her perfectly.