PDA

View Full Version : Cross Eyed Siamese?

RobZip
September 17th 06, 04:29 PM
I've observed Siamese cats over the years that have a cross eyed appearance.
'Never really gave it a lot of thought, since they seemed to see just fine.
Are they really crossed to the point of vision impairment? Does the trait
hold true in cats that may be mixed with common DSH?

One of the litter born here last year is an adult now. He and a brother both
were born with Siamese coloring and markings, and blue eyes that remained
blue as they matured. Spook - the one still here - is as cock-eyed as they
get, almost comical to look at. He also has a typical Siamese voice - loud
and yowling.

A few nights ago I saw something that really made me question if his vision
is impaired. I was scattering some treats about on the patio. Several other
cats were about, and Spook was out to get his share. He would run to where a
piece had fallen, and you can see him snap his head from side to side about
an inch or so - very rapidly - as he got within a few inches of the food. He
tends to be a little manic and aggressive, but it suddenly occured to me
that he possibly can't see worth a damn at close range. Despite the food
being literally under his nose, he still seems to be trying to lock on it
visually.

Anybody had experience with this that could shed some light on it?

Lesley
September 18th 06, 01:14 PM
RobZip wrote:
> I've observed Siamese cats over the years that have a cross eyed appearance.

Google "Strabismus Siamese Cats" (strabismus is a fancy name for a
cross eye or squint) it's fairly common in the breed

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

meeee
September 19th 06, 11:56 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> RobZip wrote:
>> I've observed Siamese cats over the years that have a cross eyed
>> appearance.
>>

> Google "Strabismus Siamese Cats" (strabismus is a fancy name for a
> cross eye or squint) it's fairly common in the breed
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Not sure about it's effect on vision, but I do know it's considered a
'breeding fault' along with the trademark tail kink (which is a pity; the
tail kink I mean) and has been nearly eliminated from official pedigree
lines. It is more prevalent in old-style siamese breeders and backyard
breeders (sometimes, but not always, the same thing, as there is no
association in many places for old style siamese, so breeding can be less
regulated)