PDA

View Full Version : Tooth problem?

The Other Mike
September 18th 06, 06:45 PM
My 16 year old cat has lost some weight recently (lost about 2
lbs...was 16lbs and is now 14). We had blood work done and it came
back with some levels a little high but nothing to be concerned
about...also had a thyroid check and that came back fine. He seems to
be eating less and when watching him eat, he seems to tilt his head to
one side and he chews very loudly (like someone who chews with their
mouth open that you can hear from across the room). We made another
appt. with the vet so they can check his teeth later this week hoping
that's why he's lost the weight. My question is if this does sound
like a tooth issue and if so, can the Vet determine for sure if it is
by just checking or do they have to put him under just to look at the
teeth?

Rene S.
September 18th 06, 07:15 PM
The Other Mike wrote:
> My 16 year old cat has lost some weight recently (lost about 2
> lbs...was 16lbs and is now 14). We had blood work done and it came
> back with some levels a little high but nothing to be concerned
> about...also had a thyroid check and that came back fine. He seems to
> be eating less and when watching him eat, he seems to tilt his head to
> one side and he chews very loudly (like someone who chews with their
> mouth open that you can hear from across the room). We made another
> appt. with the vet so they can check his teeth later this week hoping
> that's why he's lost the weight. My question is if this does sound
> like a tooth issue and if so, can the Vet determine for sure if it is
> by just checking or do they have to put him under just to look at the
> teeth?

I'm not a vet, but these certainly sound like a possible tooth problem.
Your vet should be able to give a general idea of the health of your
cat's teeth by just examining them (red gums, tartar, loose teeth). If
it seems like there are problems, your cat will have to be put under
for the full dental work. Just like with people, sometimes they don't
know the extent until they get in there.

BTW, I had a kitty go through this at age 16, and she had two teeth
pulled and a cleaning. She did great and went on to live until age 19.

Rene

The Other Mike
September 18th 06, 07:53 PM
On 18 Sep 2006 11:15:06 -0700, "Rene S." >
wrote:

>BTW, I had a kitty go through this at age 16, and she had two teeth
>pulled and a cleaning. She did great and went on to live until age 19.

Glad to hear it. I keep hearing horror stories of cats going under
anesthesia and it makes me nervous. (just had to put his sister down
about a month ago and don't want to go through that again anytime
soon).