PDA

View Full Version : who's cat is it any way?!

JEBUS
September 18th 06, 07:31 PM
HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
by visiting other houses in our neighbour hood for food and attention!! We
really are at our whiskers end, almost coming to blows with neighbours who
complain about his consumption of food ment for thier own puss cats.
Frustratingly, they do not deter him from going in to their property (loud
noise tactics, booting him out etc) because they cant be "cruel" as he is so
"cute and lovely" . I have tried to explain that if he wasn't made welcome he
wouldnt feel at liberty to dine with them, only to be told that as he is my
cat it is my problem and resposiblity to stop him!!!!!!
The last time the lady came to complain i went to fetch him and he was laying
blissfully asleep on her bed! How is that going to put him off tresspassing?!
I am now officially desperate. Is there anything i can do from my end? Can I
purchase anything that she can use at her end? Oh yeah, and she refuses to
change her cat flap so that only her cat can use it ( we offered to pay )
and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

---MIKE---
September 18th 06, 07:47 PM
Keep him inside.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lazarus
September 18th 06, 09:28 PM
My steps with my wandering cats.

First know your local ordinances. Be sure you know what your legal
responsibilities are. I live in the county. My neighbors called
animal control. We had a long talk about what was going on. What I
found out. I am responsibile for any damage my cats/kittens do. Short
of leaving their droppings that is it. I have offerred to cleanup any
mess's, just point em out. I have put down ammonia on the trails they
created. Coffee grounds too. Still they wander. The key.. the
neighbors just wanna rant.. refuse to take me up on my offers to clean
up.

Second.. what behaviour is acceptable from your point of view for your
cat? Let him wander or stay put. If outside you know he already is
going to wander and no manner of training or deterrant is going to
work. If you want him to stay put.. then inside it has to be. Though
I have seen folks who 'tether' their cats and it is awful to watch em
fight the tether.

Good Luck

Charles
Mt Vernon WA
JEBUS wrote:
> HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
> catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
> by visiting other houses in our neighbour hood for food and attention!! We
> really are at our whiskers end, almost coming to blows with neighbours who
> complain about his consumption of food ment for thier own puss cats.
> Frustratingly, they do not deter him from going in to their property (loud
> noise tactics, booting him out etc) because they cant be "cruel" as he is so
> "cute and lovely" . I have tried to explain that if he wasn't made welcome he
> wouldnt feel at liberty to dine with them, only to be told that as he is my
> cat it is my problem and resposiblity to stop him!!!!!!
> The last time the lady came to complain i went to fetch him and he was laying
> blissfully asleep on her bed! How is that going to put him off tresspassing?!
> I am now officially desperate. Is there anything i can do from my end? Can I
> purchase anything that she can use at her end? Oh yeah, and she refuses to
> change her cat flap so that only her cat can use it ( we offered to pay )
> and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
> advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

Charlie Wilkes
September 18th 06, 11:14 PM
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:31:07 GMT, "JEBUS" <[email protected]> wrote:

>HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
>catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
>by visiting other houses in our neighbour hood for food and attention!! We
>really are at our whiskers end, almost coming to blows with neighbours who
>complain about his consumption of food ment for thier own puss cats.
> Frustratingly, they do not deter him from going in to their property (loud
>noise tactics, booting him out etc) because they cant be "cruel" as he is so
>"cute and lovely" . I have tried to explain that if he wasn't made welcome he
>wouldnt feel at liberty to dine with them, only to be told that as he is my
>cat it is my problem and resposiblity to stop him!!!!!!
>The last time the lady came to complain i went to fetch him and he was laying
>blissfully asleep on her bed! How is that going to put him off tresspassing?!
>I am now officially desperate. Is there anything i can do from my end? Can I
>purchase anything that she can use at her end? Oh yeah, and she refuses to
>change her cat flap so that only her cat can use it ( we offered to pay )
>and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
>advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

It sounds like your neighbors are playing the typical
passive-aggressive game... they like the visits from your cat, but
they also like to have soimething to bitch about.

I would say, make him an indoor cat.

Charlie

JEBUS
September 19th 06, 12:33 AM
Thanks Charles but jebus has been raised as an outdoor cat (even though he
likes his creature comforts and being pampered!) and he does a great job of
keeping the mouse population down( we live next to farm land). It would be
plain cruel to keep him in now. What i need is a way of detering him from
getting into their house. Is there a way I could retrain him or am i just on
a looser here?

Lazarus wrote:
>My steps with my wandering cats.
>
>First know your local ordinances. Be sure you know what your legal
>responsibilities are. I live in the county. My neighbors called
>animal control. We had a long talk about what was going on. What I
>found out. I am responsibile for any damage my cats/kittens do. Short
>of leaving their droppings that is it. I have offerred to cleanup any
>mess's, just point em out. I have put down ammonia on the trails they
>created. Coffee grounds too. Still they wander. The key.. the
>neighbors just wanna rant.. refuse to take me up on my offers to clean
>up.
>
>Second.. what behaviour is acceptable from your point of view for your
>cat? Let him wander or stay put. If outside you know he already is
>going to wander and no manner of training or deterrant is going to
>work. If you want him to stay put.. then inside it has to be. Though
>I have seen folks who 'tether' their cats and it is awful to watch em
>fight the tether.
>
>Good Luck
>
>Charles
>Mt Vernon WA
>> HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
>> catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
>> advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

JEBUS via CatKB.com
September 19th 06, 12:40 AM
I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus out
of their property. Maybe i should get him to a cat shrink to reprogramme him!
Am i being stupid but he goes there because they make him feel welcome right?
I feel so frustrated that they then come and complain that he is in their
house eating their food!!Maybe if I put more food down or got him a companion.
..?

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
>>catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
>>advise recieved with much gratitude;-)
>
>It sounds like your neighbors are playing the typical
>passive-aggressive game... they like the visits from your cat, but
>they also like to have soimething to bitch about.
>
>I would say, make him an indoor cat.
>
>Charlie

JEBUS via CatKB.com
September 19th 06, 12:45 AM
Thanks for you help everyone, it would be great to hear of other cats with
wandering issues and how you have delt with them. I Live in England by the
way so there aren't any legal issues as such ,just social-or anti- ones!!!
JEBUS wrote:
>I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus out
>of their property. Maybe i should get him to a cat shrink to reprogramme him!
>Am i being stupid but he goes there because they make him feel welcome right?
>I feel so frustrated that they then come and complain that he is in their
>house eating their food!!Maybe if I put more food down or got him a companion.
>..?
>
>>>HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
>>>catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>>Charlie

Ryan Robbins
September 19th 06, 04:56 AM
"JEBUS via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus
>out
> of their property.

Keep your cat indoors. Duh...

Rhonda
September 19th 06, 05:36 AM
We took in an adult stray outside cat and made him an inside cat. It
took him a few weeks to realize that he could be pampered and have a
good life inside, but he did it. He was happy after that.

If you choose to leave your cat outside, I don't think there is a magic
solution. I also don't think it's your neighbor's job to train your cat
to stay out of their yard. I know they are encouraging him with
kindness, but they should not be in a position where they have to
discipline your cat.

The only other thing I can think of is get a cat fence or cat enclosure.
There are fences made for that purpose -- they come inward at the top so
the cat doesn't escape. That would keep your cat out of the pound, if
the neighbors take it to that level.

Rhonda

JEBUS wrote:
> Thanks Charles but jebus has been raised as an outdoor cat (even though he
> likes his creature comforts and being pampered!) and he does a great job of
> keeping the mouse population down( we live next to farm land). It would be
> plain cruel to keep him in now. What i need is a way of detering him from
> getting into their house. Is there a way I could retrain him or am i just on
> a looser here?

Charlie Wilkes
September 19th 06, 07:01 AM
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:40:30 GMT, "JEBUS via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus out
>of their property. Maybe i should get him to a cat shrink to reprogramme him!
>Am i being stupid but he goes there because they make him feel welcome right?
>I feel so frustrated that they then come and complain that he is in their
>house eating their food!!Maybe if I put more food down or got him a companion.
>.?
Are they really angry? I doubt it, because they are making the cat
welcome. I live in a rural area, too, and I get wandering pets from
time to time. They know they will get a friendly reception, water.
and food if they stick around long enough. I contact the owners, but
I don't complain about it. My thinking is, animals shouldn't run off,
but if they do, better they end up on my doorstep than in the yard of
someone who might shoot them. That's what I'd be most concerned about
in the case of your wandering cat. I keep my cat indoors, and he was
a barn cat before I found him (on the road, dazed from being clobbered
on the head with a muffler). It's a dangerous world for critters.

Charlie

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>>HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
>>>catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
>>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>>and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
>>>advise recieved with much gratitude;-)
>>
>>It sounds like your neighbors are playing the typical
>>passive-aggressive game... they like the visits from your cat, but
>>they also like to have soimething to bitch about.
>>
>>I would say, make him an indoor cat.
>>
>>Charlie

JEBUS via CatKB.com
September 19th 06, 08:52 AM
thank you for your helpful coment.
Ryan Robbins wrote:
>>I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus
>>out
>> of their property.
>
>Keep your cat indoors. Duh...

Lynne
September 19th 06, 01:18 PM
I had a cat who was an outdoor cat for 15 years. When he developed
kidney disease, I had to make him an indoor cat so I could control his
diet. He adapted just fine and lived quite happily for another 5+
years.

Your only option is to let things continue as they are or change them.
The only change you can make to resolve this would be to make Jebus
(love the name!) an indoor cat. Or if your neighbors lock their cat
flap at night, you could keep him in during the day and let him out at
night. You can't train a cat not to go to a place where he gets food,
water and affection!

JEBUS wrote:
> HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
> catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
> by visiting other houses in our neighbour hood for food and attention!! We
> really are at our whiskers end, almost coming to blows with neighbours who
> complain about his consumption of food ment for thier own puss cats.
> Frustratingly, they do not deter him from going in to their property (loud
> noise tactics, booting him out etc) because they cant be "cruel" as he is so
> "cute and lovely" . I have tried to explain that if he wasn't made welcome he
> wouldnt feel at liberty to dine with them, only to be told that as he is my
> cat it is my problem and resposiblity to stop him!!!!!!
> The last time the lady came to complain i went to fetch him and he was laying
> blissfully asleep on her bed! How is that going to put him off tresspassing?!
> I am now officially desperate. Is there anything i can do from my end? Can I
> purchase anything that she can use at her end? Oh yeah, and she refuses to
> change her cat flap so that only her cat can use it ( we offered to pay )
> and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
> advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

Lightwell
September 19th 06, 01:24 PM
Charlie Wilkes schrieb:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:40:30 GMT, "JEBUS via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus out
> >of their property. Maybe i should get him to a cat shrink to reprogramme him!
> >Am i being stupid but he goes there because they make him feel welcome right?
> >I feel so frustrated that they then come and complain that he is in their
> >house eating their food!!Maybe if I put more food down or got him a companion.
> >.?
> Are they really angry? I doubt it, because they are making the cat
> welcome. I live in a rural area, too, and I get wandering pets from
> time to time. They know they will get a friendly reception, water.
> and food if they stick around long enough. I contact the owners, but
> I don't complain about it. My thinking is, animals shouldn't run off,
> but if they do, better they end up on my doorstep than in the yard of
> someone who might shoot them. That's what I'd be most concerned about
> in the case of your wandering cat. I keep my cat indoors, and he was
> a barn cat before I found him (on the road, dazed from being clobbered
> on the head with a muffler). It's a dangerous world for critters.
>
> Charlie

> >>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
> >>
> >>It sounds like your neighbors are playing the typical
> >>passive-aggressive game... they like the visits from your cat, but
> >>they also like to have soimething to bitch about.
> >>
> >>I would say, make him an indoor cat.
> >>
> >>Charlie

I would say ignore your neighbours. They seem to be nice to your cat so
there is no danger. There is no way of keeping cats away from places
where they want to go and are nicely treated. Maybe someday your
neighbours will do the right thing and show your cat that it is not
welcome. As long as this does not happen the cat will go for visits
there. So, ignore their bitching - it is their turn to show the cat the
way out.
I don`t understand those people, having a cat they should know about
cats. It is utterly ridiculous to ask you to hinder your cat from
visiting them.

JEBUS via CatKB.com
September 19th 06, 02:19 PM
charlie and lynne- thankyou so much for your support. I do feel that i've got
a people problem rather than a kitty one! jebus is doing what comes
naturally and is being encouraged. but thank god we don't shot cats in
England!
I'm gona do what i can though. We have kept him in since yesterday afternoon,
with short breaks to do his business out side and lured him back in with food.
Im thinking that if maybe i change his routine it could help a little. he has
gone a bit sCATty though!!!!
does any one think he might need a companion to keep him closer to home?
will keep you posted on progres(or lack of it!), please keep your comments
ans suggestions coming in, it really is a help.
by the way lynne how wonderful your cat lived to 20 years+, he must have been
really loved and cared for, not many last that long!

Lynne wrote:
>I had a cat who was an outdoor cat for 15 years. When he developed
>kidney disease, I had to make him an indoor cat so I could control his
>diet. He adapted just fine and lived quite happily for another 5+
>years.
>
>Your only option is to let things continue as they are or change them.
>The only change you can make to resolve this would be to make Jebus
>(love the name!) an indoor cat. Or if your neighbors lock their cat
>flap at night, you could keep him in during the day and let him out at
>night. You can't train a cat not to go to a place where he gets food,
>water and affection!
>
>> HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
>> catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
>> advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

Ryan Robbins
September 19th 06, 05:53 PM
"JEBUS via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> thank you for your helpful coment.
> Ryan Robbins wrote:
>>>I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus
>>>out
>>> of their property.
>>
>>Keep your cat indoors. Duh...

It's the best advice we've been giving you.