PDA

View Full Version : Nursing

Lazarus
September 18th 06, 09:21 PM
Hi ya..

I have a calico who dropped a litter Sunday Morning. 5 kittens, one
dead.. another died sunday afternoon.

I have other kittens, born in April and May. The calico mother left
her kittens for food and getting out n about. Mon was in another box
this morning.. letting the other kittens feed on her and not in the
birthing box.

Checked on the 3 newborns.. they were quite cold. Moved them to the
box where mom is.. after 2 hours they are warm again and feeding. The
'other' kittens are trying to feed so I been removing them from this
box. These are all outside cats/kittens.

What would you do the help the newborns along? Keep mom segregated
somehow?

Charles
you can see my webpage for finding homes for these kittens at
http://home.comcast.net/~lochlain/kittens.htm

Lynne
September 19th 06, 08:11 PM
I've never had a nursing mama cat and kittens, but since no one has
replied to your question, I will. It seems obvious to me that in order
to ensure the welfare of the newborns, you are going to have to keep
the older kittens away from her so she will tend to the new babies.
This may be easier said than done, but if you don't, I suspect you will
have heartbreaking results.

Good luck to you and your kitties!