PDA

View Full Version : CRF questions

The Other Mike
September 19th 06, 02:16 PM
Well, I took my 16 yr old cat in last night to have his teeth looked at
since he was chewing funny (see previous post) and losing
weight...other then that he's as spunky as ever. They did blood work
to make sure he was ok to go under and last night, a technician called
to tell us the blood work came back with high Creatinine and BUN
levels. Both levels went from about 4.3 to 5.7 in 2 weeks (he had
blood work done 2 weeks ago since he was constipated...which isn't
anything new but we wanted to be thorough since he hadn't had blood
work done in a while). I know that pretty much tells us he has kidney
failure but is there anything else that could cause these levels to
rise so quickly? (I know I'm grasping for straws here). If not, about
how much longer does he have?...and are there ways to slow down those
rising levels? I know all cats are different but I feel like I got
hit by a truck since all we were thinking was he needed a tooth pulled
and tonight we're going back to the vet to learn how to give him fluids
under the skin. I've been searching the web but am reading so many
different things.

JEBUS via CatKB.com
September 19th 06, 02:33 PM
Im afriad that we cant offer any advice in this area, but we are really sorry
to hear your sad news. if nothing more can be done enjoy the time you have
left with him and store up those precious memories.. you will feel a great
sadness as he is a member of your family not just a 'cat', and all cat lovers
will understand that. we send you our best whishes

The Other Mike wrote:
>Well, I took my 16 yr old cat in last night to have his teeth looked at
>since he was chewing funny (see previous post) and losing
>weight...other then that he's as spunky as ever. They did blood work
>to make sure he was ok to go under and last night, a technician called
>to tell us the blood work came back with high Creatinine and BUN
>levels. Both levels went from about 4.3 to 5.7 in 2 weeks (he had
>blood work done 2 weeks ago since he was constipated...which isn't.
>anything new but we wanted to be thorough since he hadn't had blood
>work done in a while). I know that pretty much tells us he has kidney
>failure but is there anything else that could cause these levels to
>rise so quickly? (I know I'm grasping for straws here). If not, about
>how much longer does he have?...and are there ways to slow down those
>rising levels? I know all cats are different but I feel like I got
>hit by a truck since all we were thinking was he needed a tooth pulled
>and tonight we're going back to the vet to learn how to give him fluids
>under the skin. I've been searching the web but am reading so many
>different things.

22brix
September 19th 06, 03:24 PM
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, I took my 16 yr old cat in last night to have his teeth looked at
> since he was chewing funny (see previous post) and losing
> weight...other then that he's as spunky as ever. They did blood work
> to make sure he was ok to go under and last night, a technician called
> to tell us the blood work came back with high Creatinine and BUN
> levels. Both levels went from about 4.3 to 5.7 in 2 weeks (he had
> blood work done 2 weeks ago since he was constipated...which isn't
> anything new but we wanted to be thorough since he hadn't had blood
> work done in a while). I know that pretty much tells us he has kidney
> failure but is there anything else that could cause these levels to
> rise so quickly? (I know I'm grasping for straws here). If not, about
> how much longer does he have?...and are there ways to slow down those
> rising levels? I know all cats are different but I feel like I got
> hit by a truck since all we were thinking was he needed a tooth pulled
> and tonight we're going back to the vet to learn how to give him fluids
> under the skin. I've been searching the web but am reading so many
> different things.

Hi Mike,

My cat Molly was just diagnosed with CRF--about a month ago now. I've
learned how to give fluids and Molly is doing a lot better--appetite better,
more active. Her BUN and Creatinine levels both dropped after she started
the fluids. They're not back to normal levels but better than they were.
Among other things the fluids help to dilute the levels of BUN so the cat
feels better and has more of an appetite. I think each cat reacts
differently to treatment--some can live several years after diagnosis,
others don't do as well.

With Molly, she was so dehydrated we were giving her 200 ml every day for 2
or 3 days and then 100ml for another couple of days til she was rehydrated.
Ask your vet about Omega 3 supplementation and also potassium supplements.
Omega 3 is an anti-oxidant and potassium can become depleted with so much
fluid. Your vet may also put him on a kidney diet. Molly is learning to
like Hills K/D canned food (chicken flavor).

A very good website is http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm.

Phil P. is also a great source of information--he gave me some very helpful
information.

I wish you the best--having just gone through the same experience I can
understand what you're going through.

Bonnie

The Other Mike
September 19th 06, 05:14 PM
22brix wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> My cat Molly was just diagnosed with CRF--about a month ago now. I've
> learned how to give fluids and Molly is doing a lot better--appetite better,
> more active. Her BUN and Creatinine levels both dropped after she started
> the fluids. They're not back to normal levels but better than they were.
> Among other things the fluids help to dilute the levels of BUN so the cat
> feels better and has more of an appetite. I think each cat reacts
> differently to treatment--some can live several years after diagnosis,
> others don't do as well.
>
> With Molly, she was so dehydrated we were giving her 200 ml every day for 2
> or 3 days and then 100ml for another couple of days til she was rehydrated.
> Ask your vet about Omega 3 supplementation and also potassium supplements.
> Omega 3 is an anti-oxidant and potassium can become depleted with so much
> fluid. Your vet may also put him on a kidney diet. Molly is learning to
> like Hills K/D canned food (chicken flavor).
>
> A very good website is http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm.
>
> Phil P. is also a great source of information--he gave me some very helpful
> information.
>
> I wish you the best--having just gone through the same experience I can
> understand what you're going through.
>
> Bonnie

Thanks for the info Bonnie...I actually just ran across that site as
well as this one... http://www.felinecrf.org ...they both helped me out
a little as well as your advice. I've calmed down a bit today and will
be seeing the vet tonight.

blkcatgal
September 20th 06, 04:26 AM
You may want to join the feline crf group at groups.yahoo.com. There are a
lot of people there dealing with the same thing you are and there is lots of
good info on how to treat cfr.

Sue
oups.com...