PDA

View Full Version : Liver Disease diet question

Simba's Mom
September 20th 06, 12:48 AM
Hello - Quick question regarding liver disase in cats. My vet said my
cat needs a low protein diet as this is the only thing to help out
liver dissease she said. But every website I read said high protein is
better. He's taking walthams low protein right now. But i'm confused.
Any help?
Thanks, Simba's Mom

Judy
September 20th 06, 03:25 AM
"Simba's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello - Quick question regarding liver disase in cats. My vet said my
> cat needs a low protein diet as this is the only thing to help out
> liver dissease she said. But every website I read said high protein is
> better. He's taking walthams low protein right now. But i'm confused.
> Any help?
> Thanks, Simba's Mom

From my readings, cats are subject to 5 liver diseases. With the exception
of "fatty liver" disease vets limit protein intake. In "fatty liver" a high
protein diet is recommended.

Why don't you speak with your vet? He'll be able to tell you what type of
liver disease your cat has and why a low protein diet has been described.

Best wishes.

Judy