PDA

View Full Version : prescription foods for Kidney disease/failure

Elizabeth
September 20th 06, 03:30 AM
We just found out that Jasmine, our 13-yr-old cuddle-cat has (at a
minimum) kidney disease. We are waiting on the urine test to find out
if it has progressed to CRF yet. But both her vets prescribed
low-protein cat food because of the elevated creatin levels in her
blood test (her BUN level is exactly at the high end of "normal"). I
have samples of several brands, but I wondered if anyone in the group
has any decided opinions based on experience (good or bad) with various
brands of the special low-protein Rx foods for kidney disease and
failure.

22brix
September 20th 06, 04:31 AM
"Elizabeth" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We just found out that Jasmine, our 13-yr-old cuddle-cat has (at a
> minimum) kidney disease. We are waiting on the urine test to find out
> if it has progressed to CRF yet. But both her vets prescribed
> low-protein cat food because of the elevated creatin levels in her
> blood test (her BUN level is exactly at the high end of "normal"). I
> have samples of several brands, but I wondered if anyone in the group
> has any decided opinions based on experience (good or bad) with various
> brands of the special low-protein Rx foods for kidney disease and
> failure.

HI Elizabeth,
I've been using Hill's K/D chicken canned food. Molly, my geriatric kitty
seems to like it. I've heard the regular K/D isn't as palatable

Good luck, Bonnie

Wendy
September 20th 06, 11:48 AM
My Isabelle is on IVD Modified dry and wet. She likes both. The vet
suggested that because he said, in his experience, a lot of cats don't like
the K/D dry.

"Elizabeth" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We just found out that Jasmine, our 13-yr-old cuddle-cat has (at a
> minimum) kidney disease. We are waiting on the urine test to find out
> if it has progressed to CRF yet. But both her vets prescribed
> low-protein cat food because of the elevated creatin levels in her
> blood test (her BUN level is exactly at the high end of "normal"). I
> have samples of several brands, but I wondered if anyone in the group
> has any decided opinions based on experience (good or bad) with various
> brands of the special low-protein Rx foods for kidney disease and
> failure.

Elizabeth
September 20th 06, 06:14 PM
Wendy wrote:
> My Isabelle is on IVD Modified dry and wet. She likes both. The vet
> suggested that because he said, in his experience, a lot of cats don't like
> the K/D dry.

Thanks! My vet gave us four wet foods to try (my JazzyGirl recently
had most of her teeth pulled, so wet food is the food of choice!). But
she didn't give me a sample of IVD Modified wet. I'll be sure to check
with her to see if she thinks it would work for Jazzy and if she has
any samples on hand.

Do you order yours on line or buy it locally?

Elizabeth
September 20th 06, 06:32 PM
> HI Elizabeth,
> I've been using Hill's K/D chicken canned food. Molly, my geriatric kitty
> seems to like it. I've heard the regular K/D isn't as palatable
>
> Good luck, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks! The vet gave me samples of four different wet foods. Today
we're trying the second food -- the K/D chicken. JazzyCat seems to
like it a bit better than the Eukanuba (sp?)!

Elizabeth

22brix
September 21st 06, 02:13 AM
"Elizabeth" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> HI Elizabeth,
>> I've been using Hill's K/D chicken canned food. Molly, my geriatric
>> kitty
>> seems to like it. I've heard the regular K/D isn't as palatable
>>
>> Good luck, Bonnie
>
> Hi Bonnie,
>
> Thanks! The vet gave me samples of four different wet foods. Today
> we're trying the second food -- the K/D chicken. JazzyCat seems to
> like it a bit better than the Eukanuba (sp?)!
>
> Elizabeth

Molly wasn't too crazy about it at first but I mixed it with her favorite
food til now she's eating it without adding any other cat food. Good luck
finding a food she likes! They sure can be picky!

Bonnie

Elizabeth
September 21st 06, 02:15 PM
22brix wrote:
> "Elizabeth" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi Bonnie,
> >
> > Thanks! The vet gave me samples of four different wet foods. Today
> > we're trying the second food -- the K/D chicken. JazzyCat seems to
> > like it a bit better than the Eukanuba (sp?)!
> >
> > Elizabeth
>
> Molly wasn't too crazy about it at first but I mixed it with her favorite
> food til now she's eating it without adding any other cat food. Good luck
> finding a food she likes! They sure can be picky!
>
> Bonnie

I've started "rating" the various brands (writing on the can with a
marks-alot marker, so I don't forget -- I'm also a bit on the
"geriatric" side ;)). Thus far, Eukanuba Multi-stage Renal gets a C-
from the JazzyGirl; Hills k/d with Chicken gets a B-; and Purina NF
Kidney Function (which she almost gobbled!) gets a B+ to an A- (she'll
get two more feedings from this can before I decide a final rating :)).
Tomorrow, she'll get to try a pouch food, Royal Canin Renal LP -- made
by the same folks who make the IVD modified. They told me on the phone
that the difference is palitability and acceptablitiy to individual
cats -- the IVD is, like the other three brands we've tried, a canned
food with the normal "mush" texture of most canned food; while the
Renal LP is chunks and gravy (and also requires twice as many 3-oz
pouches as we would need of 6-oz cans). I'm saving the Royal Canin
Renal LP for last, since Jazzy has eaten chunks and gravy food all of
her life, so she's likely to be most disposed to it. However -- her
raction to the Purina NF this morning really brought a smile to my
heart!

BTW, Jasmine seems to be feeling better since she started on these
foods (Monday evening) -- she's more active and seems to want to be
part of whatever is going on with the other two cats, and also seems to
be peeing less (while her nose continues to be cold and wet [which has
been characteristic of her since we've had her], so I'm not concerned
that she's dehydrating).

Did Molly show a discernable improvement when she started the Rx diet?

Elizabeth

PS -- our young male cat (RugRat) has just discovered that I had the
"empty" cans here on the desk while I was typing, and has begun to lick
every remaining hint of the k/d chicken out of it's can. The Eukanba
--eh...not so much! Maybe I'll have to consider raising the Hills k/d
rating to a full B ;)

Ah, the joys of multi-cat families!!

22brix
September 21st 06, 04:29 PM
"Elizabeth" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> 22brix wrote:
>> "Elizabeth" > wrote in message
>> ups.com
>
> I've started "rating" the various brands (writing on the can with a
> marks-alot marker, so I don't forget -- I'm also a bit on the
> "geriatric" side ;)).

Great idea!

Thus far, Eukanuba Multi-stage Renal gets a C-
> from the JazzyGirl; Hills k/d with Chicken gets a B-; and Purina NF
> Kidney Function (which she almost gobbled!) gets a B+ to an A- (she'll
> get two more feedings from this can before I decide a final rating :)).

I'd like to try the Purina--I don't know if my vet carries it. Molly so far
is doing well with the k/d. She's even eating the regular k/d which isn't
supposed to be as palatible.

> Tomorrow, she'll get to try a pouch food, Royal Canin Renal LP -- made
> by the same folks who make the IVD modified. They told me on the phone
> that the difference is palitability and acceptablitiy to individual
> cats -- the IVD is, like the other three brands we've tried, a canned
> food with the normal "mush" texture of most canned food; while the
> Renal LP is chunks and gravy (and also requires twice as many 3-oz
> pouches as we would need of 6-oz cans). I'm saving the Royal Canin
> Renal LP for last, since Jazzy has eaten chunks and gravy food all of
> her life, so she's likely to be most disposed to it. However -- her
> raction to the Purina NF this morning really brought a smile to my
> heart!

Fabulous!

> BTW, Jasmine seems to be feeling better since she started on these
> foods (Monday evening) -- she's more active and seems to want to be
> part of whatever is going on with the other two cats, and also seems to
> be peeing less (while her nose continues to be cold and wet [which has
> been characteristic of her since we've had her], so I'm not concerned
> that she's dehydrating).

That's great! Are you going to be giving fluids at all?

> Did Molly show a discernable improvement when she started the Rx diet?

> Elizabeth

Molly was pretty dehydrated when she was diagnosed and wasn't eating very
much. She showed the biggest improvement once we got her on
fluids--intially my vet was mainly concerned she wasn't getting enough
calories so we were feeding Molly whatever she would eat. We've been
gradually adding the k/d and now she's getting just k/d so I haven't seen a
dramatic difference just from the food. She's obviously feeling much better
since the new regime began so something's working!

> PS -- our young male cat (RugRat) has just discovered that I had the
> "empty" cans here on the desk while I was typing, and has begun to lick
> every remaining hint of the k/d chicken out of it's can. The Eukanba
> --eh...not so much! Maybe I'll have to consider raising the Hills k/d
> rating to a full B ;)

My other cats love licking out the empty cans as well.

> Ah, the joys of multi-cat families!!

How well I know--I have 7! Mealtimes can be fun with two or three on
different diets for various reasons!

Bonnie

Elizabeth
September 21st 06, 07:10 PM
22brix wrote:
> > BTW, Jasmine seems to be feeling better since she started on these
> > foods (Monday evening) -- she's more active and seems to want to be
> > part of whatever is going on with the other two cats, and also seems to
> > be peeing less (while her nose continues to be cold and wet [which has
> > been characteristic of her since we've had her], so I'm not concerned
> > that she's dehydrating).
>
> That's great! Are you going to be giving fluids at all?

No fluids yet. She doesn't seem to be dehydrated at all yet.

> Molly was pretty dehydrated when she was diagnosed and wasn't eating very
> much. She showed the biggest improvement once we got her on
> fluids--intially my vet was mainly concerned she wasn't getting enough
> calories so we were feeding Molly whatever she would eat. We've been
> gradually adding the k/d and now she's getting just k/d so I haven't seen a
> dramatic difference just from the food. She's obviously feeling much better
> since the new regime began so something's working!

That's terrific. When I first found out that Jasmine's blood work
indicated that she should be on the kidney diet for the rest of her
life, I began looking up suppliers on the web, and found myself in
various web sites for CRF. Jazzy has a number of the symptoms -- like
drinking alot, peeing so much that it overwhelms the clumping cat
litter, retinal problems, dental problems (she had most of her teeth
extracted a couple of months ago), constipation and possible
hypertension. I felt devistated at first when I read about CRF-- but
hearing that Molly is doing well give me much needed peace.

Jazzy's blood work was on the high side of normal two months ago (when
she had her teeth extracted), and only now is in the "elevated" stage.
The vet is waiting for the specific gravity test on the urine to
determine if Jazzy actually has CRFailure or "simply" renal disease.
The three symptoms of CRF that Jazz does not have yet are apitite loss,
weight loss (in fact she is still grossly overweight) or dehydration.
The vet also indicated that some of the other blood results which were
normal in Jasmine's blood, would be expected to be elevated if she had
CRF. So... the vet said that her BUN and creatinine levels were high
enough to indicate that she should be on the prescription kidney diet
for the rest of her life.

Do you administer the sub-Q fluids at home, or do you take Molly to the
vet? If you administer at home, what's involved in the process? Does
it seem to cause pain to Molly? Will she come to you for the
treatment, or do you have to hunt her down in some hide-i-hole in the
back corner under the bed?

Elizabeth

22brix
September 21st 06, 08:09 PM
"Elizabeth" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 22brix wrote:
>> > BTW, Jasmine seems to be feeling better since she started on these
>> > foods (Monday evening) -- she's more active and seems to want to be
>> > part of whatever is going on with the other two cats, and also seems to
>> > be peeing less (while her nose continues to be cold and wet [which has
>> > been characteristic of her since we've had her], so I'm not concerned
>> > that she's dehydrating).
>>
>> That's great! Are you going to be giving fluids at all?
>
> No fluids yet. She doesn't seem to be dehydrated at all yet.
>
>> Molly was pretty dehydrated when she was diagnosed and wasn't eating very
>> much. She showed the biggest improvement once we got her on
>> fluids--intially my vet was mainly concerned she wasn't getting enough
>> calories so we were feeding Molly whatever she would eat. We've been
>> gradually adding the k/d and now she's getting just k/d so I haven't seen
>> dramatic difference just from the food. She's obviously feeling much
>> better
>> since the new regime began so something's working!
>
> That's terrific. When I first found out that Jasmine's blood work
> indicated that she should be on the kidney diet for the rest of her
> life, I began looking up suppliers on the web, and found myself in
> various web sites for CRF. Jazzy has a number of the symptoms -- like
> drinking alot, peeing so much that it overwhelms the clumping cat
> litter, retinal problems, dental problems (she had most of her teeth
> extracted a couple of months ago), constipation and possible
> hypertension. I felt devistated at first when I read about CRF-- but
> hearing that Molly is doing well give me much needed peace.
>
> Jazzy's blood work was on the high side of normal two months ago (when
> she had her teeth extracted), and only now is in the "elevated" stage.
> The vet is waiting for the specific gravity test on the urine to
> determine if Jazzy actually has CRFailure or "simply" renal disease.
> The three symptoms of CRF that Jazz does not have yet are apitite loss,
> weight loss (in fact she is still grossly overweight) or dehydration.
> The vet also indicated that some of the other blood results which were
> normal in Jasmine's blood, would be expected to be elevated if she had
> CRF. So... the vet said that her BUN and creatinine levels were high
> enough to indicate that she should be on the prescription kidney diet
> for the rest of her life.
>
> Do you administer the sub-Q fluids at home, or do you take Molly to the
> vet? If you administer at home, what's involved in the process? Does
> it seem to cause pain to Molly? Will she come to you for the
> treatment, or do you have to hunt her down in some hide-i-hole in the
> back corner under the bed?
>
> Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

I've been giving Molly her fluids at home and so far she's tolerated it very
well. She sits on my lap and purrs! Am I lucky or what! She's a very
mellow cat and has always been easy to handle. They love her at the vet's.
Occasionally she will flinch a bit but mostly is just happy to be petted. I
give her treats as the fluid goes in--she really likes that. I'm using 18
gauge needles which are quite large--the main benefit is that the fluid goes
in quicker. I warm up the fluid bag in a bowl of warm water--more
comfortable for the kitty. I find it easier with two people--we hang the
fluid bag on a nail over a door, I hold Molly on my lap and poke her and my
husband watches the level of the fluid. Some people like a smaller needle
because it doesn't hurt as much but it does take longer to administer the
fluid. I really am not an expert on this--we just started this CFR journey
this August but she's doing so much better that right now I'm very pleased.

I'm also giving Molly Omega-3 supplementation--it's an anti-inflammatory as
well and anti-oxidant and is supposed to be good for kidney issues. I don't
know if that would help Jazzy or not--she seems to be at an earlier stage of
disease than Molly. We've been supplementing her diet with potassium for a
while now and with the increase in fluids we're increased her dosage of that
as well.

For several years Molly's BUN and Creatinine have been slightly on the high
side--it may be that Jazzy won't need fluids for quite a while!

Good luck!
Bonnie

Wendy
September 22nd 06, 01:07 PM
"Elizabeth" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Wendy wrote:
>> My Isabelle is on IVD Modified dry and wet. She likes both. The vet
>> suggested that because he said, in his experience, a lot of cats don't
>> like
>> the K/D dry.

> Thanks! My vet gave us four wet foods to try (my JazzyGirl recently
> had most of her teeth pulled, so wet food is the food of choice!). But
> she didn't give me a sample of IVD Modified wet. I'll be sure to check
> with her to see if she thinks it would work for Jazzy and if she has
> any samples on hand.
>
> Do you order yours on line or buy it locally?

I get it from the vet. I haven't found a source online yet.