PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious death of my cat

Garfield
September 20th 06, 05:20 AM
Hi all, I had a very playful and energetic brown cat. She was always on
the move, catching small animals, and playing around with small
coconuts and such stuff. But, recently, when she was about one year
old,she grew lethargic and showed a distaste for food, and spent hours
just lying in one place . All her energy left her, and she was a
dffierent cat! She was diagonised with pneumonia. Inspite of giving her
injections, she succumbed to the disease, and died. But what was
confusing was that when post mortem was done, all her internal organs
were pitch black! The doctor concluded that it could be because she had
her body soaked in engine oil by rolling over the drips from the car on
the ground, and her internal organs were affected by licking on
herself. But, we are not totally satisfied with the explanation. If
anyone can enlighten me as to how the tragedy occurred, I would be very
grateful.

Rhonda
September 20th 06, 07:20 AM
Garfield wrote:
> But what was
> confusing was that when post mortem was done, all her internal organs
> were pitch black! The doctor concluded that it could be because she had
> her body soaked in engine oil by rolling over the drips from the car on
> the ground, and her internal organs were affected by licking on
> herself. But, we are not totally satisfied with the explanation. If
> anyone can enlighten me as to how the tragedy occurred, I would be very
> grateful.

That sounds so fishy to me. Did the vet send away samples to a lab? They
should be able to tell for sure what's going on with that.

If you don't trust this vet completely, I'd be concerned that he
realized he made a misdiagnosis and is making up another explanation.

Is it too late to have another vet do a necropsy too? If it is, then
could you make an appointment with a recommended vet in your area and
take copies of the necropsy results and talk over the problem with them?

I don't know how oil could turn organs black, that sounds crazy to me. I
could see how oil would get inside and cause failure, but not turn them
colors on the outside like that, and not all of the organs.

Was the cat's fur very oily?

Rhonda

Garfield
September 21st 06, 06:44 AM
There were patches of engine oil on her fur, and she was trying to lick
it away. After that , she disappeared for two days, and returned a very
tired cat.She was diagonised with pneumonia by the vet and was given an
injection. She lost her appetite, and it was with great difficulty that
medicine was given to her with milk. When forced to take the
medication, she would look pathetically at us, as if asking why we were
doing this to her. Her death was in the car, when she was being taken
to the hospital. There was a sudden burst of activity from her which
made my parents think that she was recovered, but that was her last
struggle in life. I was away from home that time for a week and was
shocked to hear of her death when I returned, for she was perfectly OK
the previous week!

Rhonda wrote:
> Garfield wrote:
> > But what was
> > confusing was that when post mortem was done, all her internal organs
> > were pitch black! The doctor concluded that it could be because she had
> > her body soaked in engine oil by rolling over the drips from the car on
> > the ground, and her internal organs were affected by licking on
> > herself. But, we are not totally satisfied with the explanation. If
> > anyone can enlighten me as to how the tragedy occurred, I would be very
> > grateful.
>
> That sounds so fishy to me. Did the vet send away samples to a lab? They
> should be able to tell for sure what's going on with that.
>
> If you don't trust this vet completely, I'd be concerned that he
> realized he made a misdiagnosis and is making up another explanation.
>
> Is it too late to have another vet do a necropsy too? If it is, then
> could you make an appointment with a recommended vet in your area and
> take copies of the necropsy results and talk over the problem with them?
>
> I don't know how oil could turn organs black, that sounds crazy to me. I
> could see how oil would get inside and cause failure, but not turn them
> colors on the outside like that, and not all of the organs.
>
> Was the cat's fur very oily?
>
> Rhonda

September 21st 06, 07:21 AM
Garfield wrote:
> There were patches of engine oil on her fur, and she was trying to lick
> it away. After that , she disappeared for two days, and returned a very
> tired cat.She was diagonised with pneumonia by the vet and was given an
> injection. She lost her appetite, and it was with great difficulty that
> medicine was given to her with milk.

Dunno about internal organs but someone lost a cat like that. Cat fell
into an open grille elevator shaft. They rescued it but it was covered
in grease. They cleaned it with a rag but didn't know to shampoo it.
Cat licked the grease off. It seemed fine then, but in a week or two
died like you described. No post mortem was done.