PDA

View Full Version : albino kittens?

paws
September 22nd 06, 05:29 AM
My very young cat (about 10 months old when pregnant) has had a litter of
four. I believe that the father is one of the mother's brothers. Two of the
kittens seem fine, but one is totally white with red eyes, the other is white
with some grey on th ears, tail and back but also with red eyes. I am worried
that these two might be blind and/or have other problems. They are only three
weeks old so it's a bit to soon to know for sure. I live in Thailand and vet
medicine is pretty poor here.
Can anyone give me some advice or tell me about their cats with similar
coloured eyes?

-L.
September 22nd 06, 05:58 AM
paws wrote:
> My very young cat (about 10 months old when pregnant) has had a litter of
> four. I believe that the father is one of the mother's brothers. Two of the
> kittens seem fine, but one is totally white with red eyes, the other is white
> with some grey on th ears, tail and back but also with red eyes. I am worried
> that these two might be blind and/or have other problems. They are only three
> weeks old so it's a bit to soon to know for sure. I live in Thailand and vet
> medicine is pretty poor here.
> Can anyone give me some advice or tell me about their cats with similar
> coloured eyes?

Albinos lead a vey normal life although their eyes and skin are more
sensitive to light. Albinos are at greater risk of skin cancers, for
example, so an indoor-only home would be best for those kitties. If
the one cat has colored fur it is not a true albino - but may be
lacking some color gene relating to eye color.

-L.

paws via CatKB.com
September 25th 06, 09:03 AM
Thanks. I don't suppose you know how long kittens have open eyes before your
able to test their vision (i.e. have them follow their eyes on a moving
object.). Their eyes have been open for about a week now, but there is no
sign that they can see or even notice movement. I've also noticed that the
two kittens with full colouring seem to be developing blue eyes... does this
mean possible problems?