PDA

View Full Version : Jealous cat...


Mathieu Paquette
September 22nd 06, 04:08 PM
Hello all.

(English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))

Story of Coco, my brother's cat (we live together he rents a room at my
house).

Problem : cat pees 1-2 times a month outside of his litterbox. He's 9.

Context : Coco lived from age 0 to age 6 alone. During that time, he
would diligently use his litterbox, UNLESS it wasn't done daily (he was
really intolerant to dirty litter, but can you blame him :))

Then, my bro moved in with us. At first we had 3 cats, now we have 2
(mine, Pixie, and Coco).

2 or 3 years ago, Coco got really sick. Really, really sick. He was
going outside whenever he wanted to, and at some point he just stopped
and really didn't have any energy. He's the most affectionate cat I've
ever seen (and I always lived with cats), he loves my brother with a
passion, never seen a cat liking to be petted this much. And to us, cats
are a part of the family. But when he got sick, he couldn't care if my
bro petted him.

We took him to the vet. Took a while but in the end was a liver disease
(can't remember exactly what, but his skin was getting yellow and
stuff). Treated him for it, but in the end he wouldn't eat, and got from
his healthy 13 pounds to 7. We were almost ready to get him to sleep
when the vet tried some anti-nausea medication: at that point, friends,
you never saw a cat eat with a more ferocious appetite. :) We were SO happy.

Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
reach him, he has to get past it to get there.

Now, we tried many things. 1 litterbox, 2 litterbox side by side, 2
litterbox (one upstairs one in the basement), nothing works. And he
seems to be doing it only when the girlfriend is here.

He's also a very dominant cat, where my cat (Pixie) is much more
passive; they don't get along so well, but it's not an all-out war
either, they just don't like each other's company.

My sister's cat had a similar problem, and anti-depressant worked. But
the vet we saw didn't want to prescribe them and wanted to run a battery
of test, which my bro can't really afford at the moment.

Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
quite a lot.

Anyone got any idea ? We're kinda desperate, aside from that the cat is
in awesome health, but he's stinking up the house and stuff, and we
don't wanna live like that...

Thank you.

Niel Humphreys
September 22nd 06, 04:36 PM
"Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
...
> Hello all.
>
> (English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))
>
> Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
> She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
> peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
> reach him, he has to get past it to get there.
>
> Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
> quite a lot.


Sounds like a Urinary Tract or Kindey infection - Take Coco to the Vet to be
examined.
--

Niel H

Mathieu Paquette
September 22nd 06, 05:49 PM
Niel Humphreys wrote:
> "Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Hello all.
>>
>> (English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))
>>
>> Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
>> She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
>> peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
>> reach him, he has to get past it to get there.
>>
>> Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
>> quite a lot.
>
>
> Sounds like a Urinary Tract or Kindey infection - Take Coco to the Vet to be
> examined.

Would that make him reach even further than his own litterbox to pee ?
If he was peeing randomly, like in my bro's room or something, my first
guess would've been a physical problem, but he actually goes out of his
way to pee in the basement, PAST the litterbox (that's close to the
stairs), and pretty much always does it in the same place (not always
but I'd say 90% of out-of-litterbox pees are made in the same area...

Mathieu

Niel Humphreys
September 22nd 06, 06:32 PM
"Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
...
> Niel Humphreys wrote:
>> "Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> (English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))
>>>
>>> Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
>>> She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
>>> peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
>>> reach him, he has to get past it to get there.
>>>
>>> Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
>>> quite a lot.
>>
>>
>> Sounds like a Urinary Tract or Kindey infection - Take Coco to the Vet to
>> be examined.
>
> Would that make him reach even further than his own litterbox to pee ? If
> he was peeing randomly, like in my bro's room or something, my first guess
> would've been a physical problem, but he actually goes out of his way to
> pee in the basement, PAST the litterbox (that's close to the stairs), and
> pretty much always does it in the same place (not always but I'd say 90%
> of out-of-litterbox pees are made in the same area...


Why don't you want to take him to a vet?
--

Niel H

Mathieu Paquette
September 22nd 06, 06:40 PM
Niel Humphreys wrote:
> "Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Niel Humphreys wrote:
>>> "Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> Hello all.
>>>>
>>>> (English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))
>>>>
>>>> Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
>>>> She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
>>>> peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
>>>> reach him, he has to get past it to get there.
>>>>
>>>> Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
>>>> quite a lot.
>>>
>>> Sounds like a Urinary Tract or Kindey infection - Take Coco to the Vet to
>>> be examined.
>> Would that make him reach even further than his own litterbox to pee ? If
>> he was peeing randomly, like in my bro's room or something, my first guess
>> would've been a physical problem, but he actually goes out of his way to
>> pee in the basement, PAST the litterbox (that's close to the stairs), and
>> pretty much always does it in the same place (not always but I'd say 90%
>> of out-of-litterbox pees are made in the same area...
>
>
> Why don't you want to take him to a vet?

We took him to one vet. He charged us 40$ to take 5 mins to check the
cat, then said "I'll have to call a colleague who's more specialised in
behavior". Then called us back 3 days later and basically, we really
didn't like his attitude; it seemed like he was looking for a quick buck
more than wanting to help us out. So we have to start over, get to
another vet and all, and as I said, we're a lil short on cash.

So I want to have some advice before I give in to any tests docs can
ask. I mean, if you're pretty sure it's Urinary tract or Kidney
infection, and that those are easily treatable, we'll go there and get
him treated ASAP, that's for sure.

It's like asking someone in your family who knows a bit about mechanics
what they think might be wrong. If they say "the alternator" and when
you get to the mechanic he goes "Ohhhhh that's the whole engine", and
the mechanic seems kinda greedy (like our vet was), you kinda know he's
just screwing you out of your money too.

As I said, we love our pets, I'd give a leg for my cat, but cash doesn't
fall from trees and if it comes to a 2k$ procedure to get him fixed up,
or spend 500$ in useless tests just so the vet can give his kids better
present next christmas, we can't afford to throw that kind of money around.

In MY opinion, it seems to be a behavior problem, since he ain't doing
it randomly, it's always when the girlfriend is around and stuff. That's
why I posted here. But I ain't no expert, and that's why I ask around.

Thank you :)

Mathieu

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
September 23rd 06, 04:03 PM
I would reiterate Niel's advice; it could well be cystitis, often related to
stress. Please do go to the vet. Meantime, you do need to clean the areas
with proprietary fluid such as urine-off. Once cats have started to use an
area, they are virtually programmed to keep topping it up if they can still
smell it.

Fifth one down "how to clean-up cat urine or poo"
http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20problems/cats/frameset.html

http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/610_spraying.pdf
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/catlitter.html
http://www.fabcats.org/spraying.html

Mathieu Paquette wrote:
>>>>> Hello all.
>>>>>
>[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
>>
>> Why don't you want to take him to a vet?
>
>We took him to one vet. He charged us 40$ to take 5 mins to check the
>cat, then said "I'll have to call a colleague who's more specialised in
>behavior". Then called us back 3 days later and basically, we really
>didn't like his attitude; it seemed like he was looking for a quick buck
>more than wanting to help us out. So we have to start over, get to
>another vet and all, and as I said, we're a lil short on cash.
>
>So I want to have some advice before I give in to any tests docs can
>ask. I mean, if you're pretty sure it's Urinary tract or Kidney
>infection, and that those are easily treatable, we'll go there and get
>him treated ASAP, that's for sure.
>
>It's like asking someone in your family who knows a bit about mechanics
>what they think might be wrong. If they say "the alternator" and when
>you get to the mechanic he goes "Ohhhhh that's the whole engine", and
>the mechanic seems kinda greedy (like our vet was), you kinda know he's
>just screwing you out of your money too.
>
>As I said, we love our pets, I'd give a leg for my cat, but cash doesn't
>fall from trees and if it comes to a 2k$ procedure to get him fixed up,
>or spend 500$ in useless tests just so the vet can give his kids better
>present next christmas, we can't afford to throw that kind of money around.
>
>In MY opinion, it seems to be a behavior problem, since he ain't doing
>it randomly, it's always when the girlfriend is around and stuff. That's
>why I posted here. But I ain't no expert, and that's why I ask around.
>
>Thank you :)
>
>Mathieu

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200609/1

Sally493 via CatKB.com
September 25th 06, 12:28 AM
I understand that when they do this behavior, not using the box, is the only
way they can tel you something is wrong. He is probably sick. Perhaps a UTI
but this is the only way they can communicate something is wrong. I doubt the
animal is jealous of another human. Another cat maybe but not a human. Take
him to the vet immediatley as to npot prolong any discomfort.

Mathieu Paquette wrote:
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>> Sounds like a Urinary Tract or Kindey infection - Take Coco to the Vet to be
>> examined.
>
>Would that make him reach even further than his own litterbox to pee ?
>If he was peeing randomly, like in my bro's room or something, my first
>guess would've been a physical problem, but he actually goes out of his
>way to pee in the basement, PAST the litterbox (that's close to the
>stairs), and pretty much always does it in the same place (not always
>but I'd say 90% of out-of-litterbox pees are made in the same area...
>
>Mathieu

--
Sally493

Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

September 25th 06, 03:18 AM
Hey! I have numerous vets suggest when I come in to feed them canned
soft food for a week if I even suspect urinary tract infection and
normally it clears itself anyways..feeding urinary tract gives Aladdin
stomach trouble...and have you tried the vinigar trick? By the way my
name is Kenda...and I have three cats....and I'm not a vet either but I
always try that first..and if his abdomen doesn't feel like its got a
ball in it its probably not urnary tract infection atleast thats
another trick the a vet showed me...and sometimes when in public thier
stomaches get tight anyways...I haven't had cats having "accidents" or
"purposes" in years...since I was old enough to learn to bleach my
litter box or use a liner...but I know how this cat jealousy thing
works...do you have the answer for that one? My vet would get very
annoyed with me if I took my cats in everytime I thought one might have
a urinary tract infection....so instead I just check at home...-Kenda
Mathieu Paquette wrote:
> Niel Humphreys wrote:
> > "Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >> Niel Humphreys wrote:
> >>> "Mathieu Paquette" > wrote in message
> >>> ...
> >>>> Hello all.
> >>>>
> >>>> (English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))
> >>>>
> >>>> Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
> >>>> She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
> >>>> peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
> >>>> reach him, he has to get past it to get there.
> >>>>
> >>>> Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
> >>>> quite a lot.
> >>>
> >>> Sounds like a Urinary Tract or Kindey infection - Take Coco to the Vet to
> >>> be examined.
> >> Would that make him reach even further than his own litterbox to pee ? If
> >> he was peeing randomly, like in my bro's room or something, my first guess
> >> would've been a physical problem, but he actually goes out of his way to
> >> pee in the basement, PAST the litterbox (that's close to the stairs), and
> >> pretty much always does it in the same place (not always but I'd say 90%
> >> of out-of-litterbox pees are made in the same area...
> >
> >
> > Why don't you want to take him to a vet?
>
> We took him to one vet. He charged us 40$ to take 5 mins to check the
> cat, then said "I'll have to call a colleague who's more specialised in
> behavior". Then called us back 3 days later and basically, we really
> didn't like his attitude; it seemed like he was looking for a quick buck
> more than wanting to help us out. So we have to start over, get to
> another vet and all, and as I said, we're a lil short on cash.
>
> So I want to have some advice before I give in to any tests docs can
> ask. I mean, if you're pretty sure it's Urinary tract or Kidney
> infection, and that those are easily treatable, we'll go there and get
> him treated ASAP, that's for sure.
>
> It's like asking someone in your family who knows a bit about mechanics
> what they think might be wrong. If they say "the alternator" and when
> you get to the mechanic he goes "Ohhhhh that's the whole engine", and
> the mechanic seems kinda greedy (like our vet was), you kinda know he's
> just screwing you out of your money too.
>
> As I said, we love our pets, I'd give a leg for my cat, but cash doesn't
> fall from trees and if it comes to a 2k$ procedure to get him fixed up,
> or spend 500$ in useless tests just so the vet can give his kids better
> present next christmas, we can't afford to throw that kind of money around.
>
> In MY opinion, it seems to be a behavior problem, since he ain't doing
> it randomly, it's always when the girlfriend is around and stuff. That's
> why I posted here. But I ain't no expert, and that's why I ask around.
>
> Thank you :)
>
> Mathieu

September 25th 06, 03:21 AM
is he always peeing in the same place outside the litter box? You mgiht
try to put a litterbox where he pees everywhere and see if you cna
narrow it down? evn if its 20 gazillina litter boxes he won't be peeing
on the floor I wonder if you just put it in the wrong place...that
happens sometimes...-Kenda
Mathieu Paquette wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> (English is my 2nd language, bear with me :))
>
> Story of Coco, my brother's cat (we live together he rents a room at my
> house).
>
> Problem : cat pees 1-2 times a month outside of his litterbox. He's 9.
>
> Context : Coco lived from age 0 to age 6 alone. During that time, he
> would diligently use his litterbox, UNLESS it wasn't done daily (he was
> really intolerant to dirty litter, but can you blame him :))
>
> Then, my bro moved in with us. At first we had 3 cats, now we have 2
> (mine, Pixie, and Coco).
>
> 2 or 3 years ago, Coco got really sick. Really, really sick. He was
> going outside whenever he wanted to, and at some point he just stopped
> and really didn't have any energy. He's the most affectionate cat I've
> ever seen (and I always lived with cats), he loves my brother with a
> passion, never seen a cat liking to be petted this much. And to us, cats
> are a part of the family. But when he got sick, he couldn't care if my
> bro petted him.
>
> We took him to the vet. Took a while but in the end was a liver disease
> (can't remember exactly what, but his skin was getting yellow and
> stuff). Treated him for it, but in the end he wouldn't eat, and got from
> his healthy 13 pounds to 7. We were almost ready to get him to sleep
> when the vet tried some anti-nausea medication: at that point, friends,
> you never saw a cat eat with a more ferocious appetite. :) We were SO happy.
>
> Now, my bro (who's 21) met a girl a year ago. It's his first girlfriend.
> She comes over pretty often and stuff. Since that, Coco's been sometimes
> peeing at other places than his litterbox. And it's not that he can't
> reach him, he has to get past it to get there.
>
> Now, we tried many things. 1 litterbox, 2 litterbox side by side, 2
> litterbox (one upstairs one in the basement), nothing works. And he
> seems to be doing it only when the girlfriend is here.
>
> He's also a very dominant cat, where my cat (Pixie) is much more
> passive; they don't get along so well, but it's not an all-out war
> either, they just don't like each other's company.
>
> My sister's cat had a similar problem, and anti-depressant worked. But
> the vet we saw didn't want to prescribe them and wanted to run a battery
> of test, which my bro can't really afford at the moment.
>
> Ah, one last thing, for the past few months, he's (Coco) been drinking
> quite a lot.
>
> Anyone got any idea ? We're kinda desperate, aside from that the cat is
> in awesome health, but he's stinking up the house and stuff, and we
> don't wanna live like that...
>
> Thank you.