PDA

View Full Version : Kitten advice

Njwatcher
September 23rd 06, 04:23 AM
Around 8:00pm found a 10 day old kitten on our Balcony (how she got
there, I do not know). She may have been there since Thursday night;
one of our condo-mates heard a cat downstairs and thought it was one of
ours, and our cats showed interest at the balcony. She has some eye
damage and a possible upper resp, but my main issue is she will not eat
from a nipple, though she is searching around for food (I assume) and
crying up a storm. ((Another issue is getting the nipple prepped
correctly, though I may have solved that one.))

ALL hint and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This board was
essential last year when I found my last kitten, who was also blind
(and still is). She is a terror, but we still love her :-)

My sister who is a veterinarian came over and could not get her to eat.
While we used an eye dropper to place milk replacer in her mouth, we
don't want her to aspirate. My sister thinks she should be good till
morning, and then obviously we should go to our own vet (already
planned). If the guano hits the fan tonight, I will take the kitten to
an emergency clinic.

Derek

email:
AIM: Hicktock.

Thanks

Derek

Rhonda
September 23rd 06, 06:14 AM
10 days old! That is incredible. Do you have apartments above you? Could
she have fallen?

You probably know she needs to be kept nice and warm since kittens rely
on the nest and littermates for heat.

I don't have any good advice on feeding. I had to feed a 7 week old with
a syringe, but not a newborn.

That's great that you're getting care for her. Good luck tomorrow and
let us know how she's doing.

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
> Around 8:00pm found a 10 day old kitten on our Balcony (how she got
> there, I do not know). She may have been there since Thursday night;
> one of our condo-mates heard a cat downstairs and thought it was one of
> ours, and our cats showed interest at the balcony. She has some eye
> damage and a possible upper resp, but my main issue is she will not eat
> from a nipple, though she is searching around for food (I assume) and
> crying up a storm. ((Another issue is getting the nipple prepped
> correctly, though I may have solved that one.))
>
> ALL hint and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This board was
> essential last year when I found my last kitten, who was also blind
> (and still is). She is a terror, but we still love her :-)
>
> My sister who is a veterinarian came over and could not get her to eat.
> While we used an eye dropper to place milk replacer in her mouth, we
> don't want her to aspirate. My sister thinks she should be good till
> morning, and then obviously we should go to our own vet (already
> planned). If the guano hits the fan tonight, I will take the kitten to
> an emergency clinic.
>
> Derek
>
> email:
> AIM: Hicktock.
>
> Thanks
>
> Derek

Njwatcher
September 23rd 06, 06:46 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> 10 days old! That is incredible. Do you have apartments above you? Could
> she have fallen?
>
> You probably know she needs to be kept nice and warm since kittens rely
> on the nest and littermates for heat.
>
> I don't have any good advice on feeding. I had to feed a 7 week old with
> a syringe, but not a newborn.
>
> That's great that you're getting care for her. Good luck tomorrow and
> let us know how she's doing.
>
> Rhonda

Its 1:45AM, doing the 2hr feeding thing. I think I got her to eat last
shift, unsure of this shift. And I successfully got her to pish (all
over my shirt and pants), now just to get her to deficate. Next feed-
3:30 AM.

Derek

Rhonda
September 23rd 06, 05:52 PM
Njwatcher wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
>
>>10 days old! That is incredible. Do you have apartments above you? Could
>>she have fallen?
>>
>>You probably know she needs to be kept nice and warm since kittens rely
>>on the nest and littermates for heat.
>>
>>I don't have any good advice on feeding. I had to feed a 7 week old with
>>a syringe, but not a newborn.
>>
>>That's great that you're getting care for her. Good luck tomorrow and
>>let us know how she's doing.
>>
>>Rhonda
>

> Its 1:45AM, doing the 2hr feeding thing. I think I got her to eat last
> shift, unsure of this shift. And I successfully got her to pish (all
> over my shirt and pants), now just to get her to deficate. Next feed-
> 3:30 AM.

What a night! How is kitty this morning?

Rhonda

Njwatcher
September 23rd 06, 06:10 PM
> What a night! How is kitty this morning?
>
> Rhonda

Fed again at 3:30,5:30,7:30. Figured out an acceptable bottle/teet at
5:30 and she drank away, as well as urinated, again at 7:30. At 9:15 we
were at the vet (cat labeled as "E" seeing she does not have a name").

Vet guessed she was around 2 weeks, upper resp and eye infections, eyes
swollen. Needs to be fed every 2-4hrs (will be fun seeing I and fiance
work 30mins-hr from home ). 2 meds, come back in a week,etc. Luckly
they knocked off 20 off the bill and I know they will not charge us for
next week or all the following check ups (unless there are more
issues). Vet warned us kittens are abdandoned for a reason and said
there is a 50% mortality rate....

So kitten was fed again at 10:30, and now 1: 00(fiance slept through
her shift seeing I didn't sleep last night).

So thats where we are now.

Meds will be now, and tonight. She will be in quarenteen for a bit.
Still no feces.

Derek

Gail
September 23rd 06, 10:18 PM
You are sooo wonderful to take care of this little kitten. Keep us posted.
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> What a night! How is kitty this morning?
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> Fed again at 3:30,5:30,7:30. Figured out an acceptable bottle/teet at
> 5:30 and she drank away, as well as urinated, again at 7:30. At 9:15 we
> were at the vet (cat labeled as "E" seeing she does not have a name").
>

> Vet guessed she was around 2 weeks, upper resp and eye infections, eyes
> swollen. Needs to be fed every 2-4hrs (will be fun seeing I and fiance
> work 30mins-hr from home ). 2 meds, come back in a week,etc. Luckly
> they knocked off 20 off the bill and I know they will not charge us for
> next week or all the following check ups (unless there are more
> issues). Vet warned us kittens are abdandoned for a reason and said
> there is a 50% mortality rate....
>
> So kitten was fed again at 10:30, and now 1: 00(fiance slept through
> her shift seeing I didn't sleep last night).
>
> So thats where we are now.
>
> Meds will be now, and tonight. She will be in quarenteen for a bit.
> Still no feces.
>
> Derek

Njwatcher
September 23rd 06, 10:48 PM
Gail wrote:
> You are sooo wonderful to take care of this little kitten. Keep us posted.
> Gail

As of the 5:00pm feed, I think she has become a little weaker (I hope I
am wrong). I will be feeding her again at 7, and then I am off to do
EMS for the evening (I volunteer every Sat night at the local 1st Aid
Squad). I am sure I will be brining a crew back to visit. My fiancé
will be medicating her tonight as well as feeding (hopefully every
2hrs).

She still has not defecated. This has me worried. I have done the
stimulation every time, and she urinates, just no feces.

Derek

Eva Quesnell
September 24th 06, 12:08 AM
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Njwatcher wrote:

> Gail wrote:
>> You are sooo wonderful to take care of this little kitten. Keep us posted.
>> Gail
>

> As of the 5:00pm feed, I think she has become a little weaker (I hope I
> am wrong). I will be feeding her again at 7, and then I am off to do
> EMS for the evening (I volunteer every Sat night at the local 1st Aid
> Squad). I am sure I will be brining a crew back to visit. My fiancé
> will be medicating her tonight as well as feeding (hopefully every
> 2hrs).
>
> She still has not defecated. This has me worried. I have done the
> stimulation every time, and she urinates, just no feces.
>
> Derek

Not defecating has me worried, too. Is her little tummy swollen? She
needs to get the toxins out of her system. How are you stimulating her to
poop? A little warm water on a tissue -- rubbing very gently should do
it. It may be explosive when it does happen since it's been a while now.
Do keep trying. You need to get that poop out of her. I know it's a
struggle. Keep trying. I admire your dedication and persistence.

Eva

September 24th 06, 01:30 AM
In article . com>,
says...

> > What a night! How is kitty this morning?
> >
> > Rhonda
>
> Fed again at 3:30,5:30,7:30. Figured out an acceptable bottle/teet at
> 5:30 and she drank away, as well as urinated, again at 7:30. At 9:15 we
> were at the vet (cat labeled as "E" seeing she does not have a name").
>

> Vet guessed she was around 2 weeks, upper resp and eye infections, eyes
> swollen. Needs to be fed every 2-4hrs (will be fun seeing I and fiance
> work 30mins-hr from home ). 2 meds, come back in a week,etc. Luckly
> they knocked off 20 off the bill and I know they will not charge us for
> next week or all the following check ups (unless there are more
> issues). Vet warned us kittens are abdandoned for a reason and said
> there is a 50% mortality rate....
>
> So kitten was fed again at 10:30, and now 1: 00(fiance slept through
> her shift seeing I didn't sleep last night).
>
> So thats where we are now.
>
> Meds will be now, and tonight. She will be in quarenteen for a bit.
> Still no feces.
>
> Derek

Best of luck with the little fuzzball. You realize if she makes it
she'll be very bonded with you.

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 02:55 AM
> Not defecating has me worried, too. Is her little tummy swollen? She
> needs to get the toxins out of her system. How are you stimulating her to
> poop? A little warm water on a tissue -- rubbing very gently should do
> it. It may be explosive when it does happen since it's been a while now.
> Do keep trying. You need to get that poop out of her. I know it's a
> struggle. Keep trying. I admire your dedication and persistence.
>
> Eva
> --411118345-1587461962-1159052899=:17789--

Nothing as of 9:53pm. Just tried warm water on a towel, same rubbing
style to get her to urinate. I am at a loss. People have said its
because she may have not gotten food, but at this point, she has gotten
formula for 24hrs+. Someone else said the formula leaves them
constipated- either way I am worried.

Derek

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 02:56 AM

> Best of luck with the little fuzzball. You realize if she makes it
> she'll be very bonded with you.

Thank you

Derek

Rhonda
September 24th 06, 03:19 AM
Njwatcher wrote:

> As of the 5:00pm feed, I think she has become a little weaker (I hope I
> am wrong). I will be feeding her again at 7, and then I am off to do
> EMS for the evening (I volunteer every Sat night at the local 1st Aid
> Squad). I am sure I will be brining a crew back to visit. My fiancé
> will be medicating her tonight as well as feeding (hopefully every
> 2hrs).

It's so great of you to take care of this baby.

> She still has not defecated. This has me worried. I have done the
> stimulation every time, and she urinates, just no feces.

Did you talk about timing at the vet's, about how long it should take?
If not, maybe you could call an emergency clinic to get an idea of when
this should happen. I don't know about kittens, but I know it takes
awhile for a system to start after not having food.

Oh wait, your sis is a vet -- could you ask her if this is normal?

I'm sure the kitty is exhausted from the vet trip, I hope she perks up
soon. Me and the cats here are rooting for her...

Rhonda

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 11:40 AM

> Did you talk about timing at the vet's, about how long it should take?
> If not, maybe you could call an emergency clinic to get an idea of when
> this should happen. I don't know about kittens, but I know it takes
> awhile for a system to start after not having food.
>
> Oh wait, your sis is a vet -- could you ask her if this is normal?
>
> I'm sure the kitty is exhausted from the vet trip, I hope she perks up
> soon. Me and the cats here are rooting for her...
>
> Rhonda

She didn't make a peep going to the vet (at the vet was another story).
Its 6:36AM; I haven't gotten any sleep now for 2 days (last night was
a ****-load of EMS calls). Beth (my sis) says she has gas, and its not
normal. I do not wish to bother Beth at the moment (giving her a day
off), she just found out one of her cats is in liver failure (only 5
yrs old). If by 4pm today the kitten hasn't defecated, I will be going
to the emergency clinic.

I plan to call them between now and then at least.

Derek

Right now I have an Ambulance at my house so I can take township calls
AND watch the kitten, don't know if thats sad or dedicated.

Wendy
September 24th 06, 12:42 PM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Not defecating has me worried, too. Is her little tummy swollen? She
>> needs to get the toxins out of her system. How are you stimulating her
>> poop? A little warm water on a tissue -- rubbing very gently should do
>> it. It may be explosive when it does happen since it's been a while now.
>> Do keep trying. You need to get that poop out of her. I know it's a
>> struggle. Keep trying. I admire your dedication and persistence.
>>
>> Eva
>> --411118345-1587461962-1159052899=:17789--
>
> Nothing as of 9:53pm. Just tried warm water on a towel, same rubbing
> style to get her to urinate. I am at a loss. People have said its
> because she may have not gotten food, but at this point, she has gotten
> formula for 24hrs+. Someone else said the formula leaves them
> constipated- either way I am worried.
>
> Derek

Don't stress out about her defecating yet. Sometimes it can take a few days
for kitties to start doing that once they go on the bottle. You don't know
how long the kitten was without food and she didn't start eating for you
right away. Nothing in, nothing out. Just try simulating her for about a
minute max. If she doesn't poo by then she's not going to at that time. I've
had a number of kittens wait 2 - 3 days to start pooing after I've gotten
them to foster.

What type of bottle/nipple did she finally settle on? I've found many of the
really young kittens prefer the long skinny nipples at first
http://www.petag.com/products_items.asp?SubcategoryID=14&CategoryID=2
I have to be really careful cutting the hole in the end to leave it small
enough and have to be careful to pull back on the nipple when they are
feeding so they don't intubate themselves on it. The shape seems to be more
acceptable to the little ones. Once they get used to nursing on the bottle I
switch to the shorter nipples. The kittens also seem to prefer bottles that
aren't too stiff. They like them to collapse sort of like a playtex nurser
bag.

The biggest danger with URI in bottle feeders is to keep them from
aspirating formula.

Here's a link that pretty much covers most concerns. Hope it helps.
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

Good luck with your kitty.

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 05:02 PM

> Don't stress out about her defecating yet. Sometimes it can take a few days
> for kitties to start doing that once they go on the bottle. You don't know
> how long the kitten was without food and she didn't start eating for you
> right away. Nothing in, nothing out. Just try simulating her for about a
> minute max. If she doesn't poo by then she's not going to at that time. I've
> had a number of kittens wait 2 - 3 days to start pooing after I've gotten
> them to foster.
>
> What type of bottle/nipple did she finally settle on? I've found many of the
> really young kittens prefer the long skinny nipples at first
> http://www.petag.com/products_items.asp?SubcategoryID=14&CategoryID=2
> I have to be really careful cutting the hole in the end to leave it small
> enough and have to be careful to pull back on the nipple when they are
> feeding so they don't intubate themselves on it. The shape seems to be more
> acceptable to the little ones. Once they get used to nursing on the bottle I
> switch to the shorter nipples. The kittens also seem to prefer bottles that
> aren't too stiff. They like them to collapse sort of like a playtex nurser
> bag.
>
> The biggest danger with URI in bottle feeders is to keep them from
> aspirating formula.
>
> Here's a link that pretty much covers most concerns. Hope it helps.
> http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm
>
> Good luck with your kitty.

its 11:55AM. We actually just got back from the emergency clinic and
they stated pretty much the same thing. Thankfully they also did not
charge for the visit. They said if she doesnt by the morning, bring
her in to my vet clinic. They also gave me a few different methods to
try.

I have the bottle/product on the web link. She did not like the longer
nipple, so I went back to a shorter one. I fear aspiration sometimes
with her, but so far so good.

Thank you for the link and I will keep you up to date.

Derek

"Njwatcher" > wrote:

> Derek
>
> Right now I have an Ambulance at my house so I can take township calls
> AND watch the kitten, don't know if thats sad or dedicated.

Dedicated. I'm following your story, pulling for the baby cat.

Rhonda
September 24th 06, 05:23 PM
Njwatcher wrote:

> its 11:55AM. We actually just got back from the emergency clinic and
> they stated pretty much the same thing. Thankfully they also did not
> charge for the visit. They said if she doesnt by the morning, bring
> her in to my vet clinic. They also gave me a few different methods to
> try.
>
> I have the bottle/product on the web link. She did not like the longer
> nipple, so I went back to a shorter one. I fear aspiration sometimes
> with her, but so far so good.
>
> Thank you for the link and I will keep you up to date.

Derek,

You're an angel. That kitty picked the right balcony!

Try to get some sleep, though. You need your strength if you are going
to help people and kittens!

Take care,

Rhonda

Phil P.
September 24th 06, 06:21 PM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

If by 4pm today the kitten hasn't defecated, I will be going
> to the emergency clinic.

Put 2 drops of vegetable oil in her formula then give her a warm bath about
20 minutes later- make sure the water is warm and deep enough to cover her
butt. If she doesn't go in the bath or within a few minutes after the bath,
squirt a few drops of mineral oil in her butt with a plastic eyedropper or
catheter-tip syringe. Do not ever give a cat mineral oil in the mouth- cats
can aspirate mineral oil very easily because its tasteless and odorless.
Turn up the heat in your house before you give her the bath and dry her as
quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Don't turn the heat down until she's
dry.

If all this doesn't work, don't wait until 4 PM to take her to the emergency
clinic.

Good luck,

Phil

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 09:26 PM

> You're an angel. That kitty picked the right balcony!
>
> Try to get some sleep, though. You need your strength if you are going
> to help people and kittens!
>
> Take care,
>
> Rhonda

Its 4:24. just had another feeding. No feces yet (sounding like a
broken record). But she is eating soundly. I slept in car as my
fiance drove to a tasting at the hall we are doing our reception at.
My next plan is to sleep to 6:00, which is the next feeding.

TY

Derek

Gail
September 24th 06, 09:40 PM
You're doing terrific work in helping this kitten, Derek. I hope she makes
it.
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> You're an angel. That kitty picked the right balcony!
>>
>> Try to get some sleep, though. You need your strength if you are going
>> to help people and kittens!
>>
>> Take care,
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> Its 4:24. just had another feeding. No feces yet (sounding like a
> broken record). But she is eating soundly. I slept in car as my
> fiance drove to a tasting at the hall we are doing our reception at.
> My next plan is to sleep to 6:00, which is the next feeding.
>
> TY
>
> Derek

Rhonda
September 24th 06, 09:52 PM
Njwatcher wrote:
>>You're an angel. That kitty picked the right balcony!
>>
>>Try to get some sleep, though. You need your strength if you are going
>>to help people and kittens!
>>
>>Take care,
>>
>>Rhonda
>

> Its 4:24. just had another feeding. No feces yet (sounding like a
> broken record). But she is eating soundly. I slept in car as my
> fiance drove to a tasting at the hall we are doing our reception at.
> My next plan is to sleep to 6:00, which is the next feeding.
>
> TY
>
> Derek

Derek,

When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
wear brown...

Rhonda

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Njwatcher wrote:
>>>You're an angel. That kitty picked the right balcony!
>>>
>>>Try to get some sleep, though. You need your strength if you are going
>>>to help people and kittens!
>>>
>>>Take care,
>>>
>>>Rhonda
>>

>> Its 4:24. just had another feeding. No feces yet (sounding like a
>> broken record). But she is eating soundly. I slept in car as my
>> fiance drove to a tasting at the hall we are doing our reception at.
>> My next plan is to sleep to 6:00, which is the next feeding.
>>
>> TY
>>
>> Derek
>

> Derek,
>
> When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
> wear brown...

hahaha! I love this idea! The theme song could be a take off on the Cindi
Lauper song, we could call it "She poop!" You know ... "I poop, you poop, we
poop ... ohhhh SHE POOP!"

:D

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 11:26 PM
Gail wrote:
> You're doing terrific work in helping this kitten, Derek. I hope she makes
> it.
> Gail
> "Njwatcher" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

6:24 feeding. I have taken a plethora of photos on my cell. Taking
some on my camera and will try to post them online. I hope she lives
as well.

Derek

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 11:28 PM
to 6:>
> When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
> wear brown...
>
> Rhonda

Lol- I agree! A large weight will be taken off my chest as well. When
she poops I know she will survive (at least this hurtle).

Derek

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 11:31 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Njwatcher" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> If by 4pm today the kitten hasn't defecated, I will be going
> > to the emergency clinic.
>

> Put 2 drops of vegetable oil in her formula then give her a warm bath about
> 20 minutes later- make sure the water is warm and deep enough to cover her
> butt. If she doesn't go in the bath or within a few minutes after the bath,
> squirt a few drops of mineral oil in her butt with a plastic eyedropper or
> catheter-tip syringe. Do not ever give a cat mineral oil in the mouth- cats
> can aspirate mineral oil very easily because its tasteless and odorless.
> Turn up the heat in your house before you give her the bath and dry her as
> quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Don't turn the heat down until she's
> dry.
>
> If all this doesn't work, don't wait until 4 PM to take her to the emergency
> clinic.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil

TY- going to try the oil in the food at the 8pm feeding if she doesn't
fecal after she is done eating. Two vets stated at the moment not to
try the roto rooter root yet.

Derek

Njwatcher
September 24th 06, 11:37 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Njwatcher" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> If by 4pm today the kitten hasn't defecated, I will be going
> > to the emergency clinic.
>

> Put 2 drops of vegetable oil in her formula then give her a warm bath about
> 20 minutes later- make sure the water is warm and deep enough to cover her
> butt. If she doesn't go in the bath or within a few minutes after the bath,
> squirt a few drops of mineral oil in her butt with a plastic eyedropper or
> catheter-tip syringe. Do not ever give a cat mineral oil in the mouth- cats
> can aspirate mineral oil very easily because its tasteless and odorless.
> Turn up the heat in your house before you give her the bath and dry her as
> quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Don't turn the heat down until she's
> dry.
>
> If all this doesn't work, don't wait until 4 PM to take her to the emergency
> clinic.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil

Forgot to post we went at 10-11ist to the emergency clinic (posted
earlier in the thread to someone else). She has some feces in her.
The vet there stated if she hasn't defecated by morning, goto my main
vet. I am ready to take off of work (It also doesn't hurt I did not
get any sleep last night due to drunk drivers crashing all night, (but
that's not the thread here :-) and feeding the kitten ). I am off to
torture the kitten- updates to come.

And to everyone reading- sorry for spelling and grammar- lets see how
you write on lack of sleep :-0) I think this is a test actually- 1: My
fiancé and I were discussing what our next pet would be- I said
cat/she said dog (this is when we buy a home)- I said whatever pet
shows up at our door...........
2: I guess this is what a kid will be like :-)

Derek

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 12:38 AM

> Derek,
>
> When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
> wear brown...
>
> Rhonda

Just wipped this up:

http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077

Derek

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 12:38 AM

> Derek,
>
> When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
> wear brown...
>
> Rhonda

Just whipped this up:

http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077

Derek

Gail
September 25th 06, 12:48 AM
Adorable kitten, Derek. We are all pulling for her.
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Derek,
>>
>> When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
>> wear brown...
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> Just wipped this up:
>
> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077
>
> Derek

cybercat
September 25th 06, 12:59 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Derek,
>>
>> When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
>> wear brown...
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> Just wipped this up:
>
> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077
>
> Derek

oh she is so pretty ...!

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 03:26 AM
It's now 10:21pm on 9-24-06. 8pm, 10pm feeding have come and gone.
She is getting bloated (at least I and Mair (my fiancé) think so. She
has a healthy appetite. I do not want to try the oil in the food due
to if she is blocked somehow, I fear painful results. If she does not
have a movement at 6 AM, I may try it at 8 AM. She will be going to the
vet at 9AM (when they open) if there are no results.

Derek

Rhonda
September 25th 06, 04:15 AM
She is such a precious thing. I LOVED her picture! She is so tiny. Looks
like she has a little orange in her tabby face.

She has a few hours yet -- I'm hoping she leaves you a little surprise
by morning.

You've probably had lots of advice already about how to do it, but
here's more -ha! The following is part of this website:
http://www.valleycatsinc.org/bottlebabies/bottlebabies.htm

You have probably seen momcats stimulating their babies to urinate and
defecate by licking their hind quarters. This job is now up to you, and
the younger the kitten is, the more important this becomes. Young
kittens cannot urinate or defecate on their own.

• After each feeding, hold the kitten so that you can gently massage the
lower abdomen, genital and rectal areas to stimulate urination and/or
defecation. Use a warm moist paper towel, small piece of cloth, cotton
ball or cotton pad.

• Massage only enough to stimulate. Too much and you might irritate the
tender skin and cause chafing.

• Be sure the area is clean and dry when you put the kitten back in its bed.

• Kittens will almost always urinate. They should defecate at least once
a day. It may take up to one minute of gentle massage before a kitten
“poops,” so be patient. If a kitten does not defecate after two days,
call your vet or rescue organization for advice.

Don't know if there's anything new there. I'm still rooting for the poop!

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
> It's now 10:21pm on 9-24-06. 8pm, 10pm feeding have come and gone.
> She is getting bloated (at least I and Mair (my fiancé) think so. She
> has a healthy appetite. I do not want to try the oil in the food due
> to if she is blocked somehow, I fear painful results. If she does not
> have a movement at 6 AM, I may try it at 8 AM. She will be going to the
> vet at 9AM (when they open) if there are no results.
>
> Derek

Rhonda
September 25th 06, 04:17 AM
cybercat wrote:

>>>Its 4:24. just had another feeding. No feces yet (sounding like a
>>>broken record). But she is eating soundly. I slept in car as my
>>>fiance drove to a tasting at the hall we are doing our reception at.
>>>My next plan is to sleep to 6:00, which is the next feeding.
>>>
>>>TY
>>>
>>>Derek
>>

>>Derek,
>>
>>When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
>>wear brown...
>

> hahaha! I love this idea! The theme song could be a take off on the Cindi
> Lauper song, we could call it "She poop!" You know ... "I poop, you poop, we
> poop ... ohhhh SHE POOP!"
>
> :D

Hey, let's invite Cyndi to the party too! That song would be perfect.

I sure hope we have a chance to sing it soon.

Rhonda

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 05:40 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> She is such a precious thing. I LOVED her picture! She is so tiny. Looks
> like she has a little orange in her tabby face.
>
> She has a few hours yet -- I'm hoping she leaves you a little surprise
> by morning.
>
> You've probably had lots of advice already about how to do it, but
> here's more -ha! The following is part of this website:
> http://www.valleycatsinc.org/bottlebabies/bottlebabies.htm
>
> You have probably seen momcats stimulating their babies to urinate and
> defecate by licking their hind quarters. This job is now up to you, and
> the younger the kitten is, the more important this becomes. Young
> kittens cannot urinate or defecate on their own.
>
> · After each feeding, hold the kitten so that you can gently massage the
> lower abdomen, genital and rectal areas to stimulate urination and/or
> defecation. Use a warm moist paper towel, small piece of cloth, cotton
> ball or cotton pad.
>
> · Massage only enough to stimulate. Too much and you might irritate the
> tender skin and cause chafing.
>
> · Be sure the area is clean and dry when you put the kitten back in its bed.
>
> · Kittens will almost always urinate. They should defecate at least once
> a day. It may take up to one minute of gentle massage before a kitten
> "poops," so be patient. If a kitten does not defecate after two days,
> call your vet or rescue organization for advice.
>
> Don't know if there's anything new there. I'm still rooting for the poop!
>
> Rhonda

I know and wished she left a gift; at this point I would be happy with
a mess. She is bloated at her mid-section. Just finished the 12:00AM
feeding. My fiancé' will be doing the 2:00AM. I normally count to 60
while gently rubbing the back area. She is a pro at urinating, a
future Olympian even with distance shots. Defecating, well, she needs
some help at. Both receptionists at the emergency clinic are fosters
and gave me things try- both which have not worked. Two people online
have suggested oil in the feed. I will try that as a last ditch
effort, if I dont break down and head to the emergency clinic prior to
going to my vet at 9. Thank god for understanding work places and
having a butload of vacation days left over for this year.

Derek

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 09:35 AM
4:34AM now. Finished with the 4:00am feeding. She ate 1+teaspoon of
formula. Still, sounding like a broken record, no feces to write home
about. She is bloated and possibly painful to the touch in the hind
abdominal region, as well as anal region. I think I will be missing
work and she will be going to the vet barring a miracle within the next
2 feedings.

Derek

Phil P.
September 25th 06, 09:45 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message

> TY- going to try the oil in the food at the 8pm feeding if she doesn't
> fecal after she is done eating. Two vets stated at the moment not to
> try the roto rooter root yet.

I'd be looking for two new vets if I were you. Mineral oil in the butt would
be administered *past* the blockage- not before. Its only a lubricant and
also impedes the colon from absorbing water from the feces.

P.

Phil P.
September 25th 06, 09:46 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message

> She is bloated at her mid-section. Just finished the 12:00AM
> feeding. My fiancé' will be doing the 2:00AM.

Have you tried diluting the formula? Less formula and more water- just keep
the total volume the same or a little less.

If she's bloating and not pooping and you're seeing your vet this morning,
I'd probably cut the next feeding in half.

Phil P.
September 25th 06, 09:47 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I do not want to try the oil in the food due
>to if she is blocked somehow, I fear painful results.

Mineral oil is a lubricant laxative- not a stimulate laxative or colonic
prokinetic agent. Mineral oil slows water absorption from the feces by the
colon which keeps the feces soft and moist and easier to pass. It also
allows the feces to form to the size and shape of the colon, rectum and
anus.

> If she does not
>have a movement at 6 AM, I may try it at 8 AM. She will be going to the
>vet at 9AM (when they open) if there are no results.

Ask you vet to take an x-ray to rule out foreign bodies or congenital
defects.

Good luck

Phil

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 10:58 AM
I will hit up all your reply's here. She will most likely be going in
at 8:00 am (its 5:40 now). (And for those who wonder, seeing I have
been on almost all hours of the day and night, yes I have a life and
work, but kitten is 1st :-) ).

Praying that there are not any congenital defects. I presume x-rays
and other fun will happen this morning if my veterinarian cannot get
her to defecate. I think she is more than qualified to get the job
done.

Per the cutting back on food/dilution; in a few minutes she will get
her meds and I a limited feeding and see how it goes. After that I
will be hopefully seeing the veterinarian.

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 04:59 PM
Latest update:

As of the vet at 9:00, the doc states she is not in distress in bloat.
She stuck a thermometer tip in a cm and there was some fecal matter on
the end (a + sign). She said if the kitten still has not defecated by
tomorrow 9:00, to bring her in. The kitten ate for a good 1-2 minutes
for the Dr.

I fed her again at 10, and will leave work early and continue the 2hr
cycle again before 2pm.

Derek

Wendy
September 25th 06, 06:23 PM
Are you waking her up to eat or is she demanding food every two hours?

"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Latest update:
>
> As of the vet at 9:00, the doc states she is not in distress in bloat.
> She stuck a thermometer tip in a cm and there was some fecal matter on
> the end (a + sign). She said if the kitten still has not defecated by
> tomorrow 9:00, to bring her in. The kitten ate for a good 1-2 minutes
> for the Dr.
>
> I fed her again at 10, and will leave work early and continue the 2hr
> cycle again before 2pm.
>
> Derek

Njwatcher
September 25th 06, 08:37 PM
Wendy wrote:
> Are you waking her up to eat or is she demanding food every two hours?

While I have not thought of it, for the most part she is napping when I
come to the carrier. I/we take her out and clean her, then feed her if
she want to eat (present the nipple/bottle to her, and I cannot think
of a time she has not eaten). Every so often I come by the carrier and
she is rummaging around and I will sooth her, and when she is again
sleepy, place her back in.

Instead of making a new post - figured I would also share the rest of
today in this post as well. (took a half day of work just to feed the
kitten and goto the vet).

Went to the vet today. She said she does not feel the kitten is
bloated. She also probed with the tip of a thermometer, and there was
some fecal matter. Since we do not know the last time the kitten ate,
she said see if she defecates tonight. If nothing by tomorrow, bring
her in at 9:00am, when they open.
She also ate at the vet's office, and at 10:00am when I brought her
home.
She ate close to a tablespoon at 2:00pm when I fed her again. (She is
in her box mewing away right now).

When I got home, I was talking to 2 of our condo's supers (replacing
our air conditioning unit which burnt out). One of them said he saw a
mother cat carrying kittens away on either Friday or Saturday from our
unit's location and taking them to a tunnel by our house. This
relieves me; at least some SOB didn't abandon the kitten on our patio.
He said the mother carried off a few kittens that were pretty small,
but he said orange (not the kittens color, but I have seen litters of
mixed baggage).

I later showed the other super the kitten. He fell in love with it
immediately.
He said that if I was looking for a home for her, he would adopt the
kitten for his daughter. His family, along with 39 other people were
just recently displaced by a fire by our condo (a sister condominium
across the highway). They lost their pets in their blaze (a rabbit and
a cat of 15 years. Although it took 4hrs for the fire to get to his
unit, the fire chief would not let him go retrieve his pets). The
super stated his wife has experience nursing kittens, and is home
during the day. (They already rescued another kitten from the condo,
which is now 2 months old). I told him I would get back in touch with
him once I know the health of the kitten and where we stand with her.

cybercat
September 26th 06, 12:10 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Went to the vet today. She said she does not feel the kitten is
> bloated. She also probed with the tip of a thermometer, and there was
> some fecal matter. Since we do not know the last time the kitten ate,
> she said see if she defecates tonight. If nothing by tomorrow, bring
> her in at 9:00am, when they open.
[...]> I later showed the other super the kitten. He fell in love with it
> immediately.
> He said that if I was looking for a home for her, he would adopt the
> kitten for his daughter.

Wow, Derek, this is wonderful news, that you found her a home.
The fire story is just tragic, so sad.

Now if she will just poop! She sounds like she is feeling GOOD,
so I bet you see some poop tonight.

You are so terrific for giving so much to this baby. It will come
back to you tenfold. Bless you.

September 26th 06, 12:43 AM
In article . com>,
says...

> > Derek,
> >
> > When she poops -- let's have a big party. Everyone will be required to
> > wear brown...
> >
> > Rhonda
>
> Just wipped this up:
>
> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077
>
> Derek

What an adorable kitten. I do hope she makes it.

Njwatcher
September 26th 06, 01:12 AM
> Wow, Derek, this is wonderful news, that you found her a home.
> The fire story is just tragic, so sad.
>
> Now if she will just poop! She sounds like she is feeling GOOD,
> so I bet you see some poop tonight.
>
> You are so terrific for giving so much to this baby. It will come
> back to you tenfold. Bless you.

Do on to others as you would want them to do for you or for your pets.
My family has been rescuing animals well before I was born. My sisters
became a veterinarian (we are a year apart), and I intended to be a
veterinarian from 3yrs old until senior year of college, where that
dream crashed hard.

I hope she goes soon. Even though I will not be getting sleep tonight,
I will rest easier knowing she isn't blocked. Seeing the fecal matter
at the vets was a slight relief. If it means getting hit with
explosive excretive, I don't mind :-)

Derek

Rhonda
September 26th 06, 05:39 AM
Man, it will be hard to let that baby go to another home, won't it? What
a sweet thing.

I'm glad to hear that the vet is not too worried yet and that stuff
seems to be making its way through.

If the kitten is not bloated, you are probably just doing a good job
feeding her and she's getting a little chubby!

I will be hoping for great news tomorrow morning.

When she poops, take a picture of it, okay? :)

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:

> Went to the vet today. She said she does not feel the kitten is
> bloated. She also probed with the tip of a thermometer, and there was
> some fecal matter. Since we do not know the last time the kitten ate,
> she said see if she defecates tonight. If nothing by tomorrow, bring
> her in at 9:00am, when they open.
> She also ate at the vet's office, and at 10:00am when I brought her
> home.
> She ate close to a tablespoon at 2:00pm when I fed her again. (She is
> in her box mewing away right now).
>
> When I got home, I was talking to 2 of our condo's supers (replacing
> our air conditioning unit which burnt out). One of them said he saw a
> mother cat carrying kittens away on either Friday or Saturday from our
> unit's location and taking them to a tunnel by our house. This
> relieves me; at least some SOB didn't abandon the kitten on our patio.
> He said the mother carried off a few kittens that were pretty small,
> but he said orange (not the kittens color, but I have seen litters of
> mixed baggage).
>
> I later showed the other super the kitten. He fell in love with it
> immediately.
> He said that if I was looking for a home for her, he would adopt the
> kitten for his daughter. His family, along with 39 other people were
> just recently displaced by a fire by our condo (a sister condominium
> across the highway). They lost their pets in their blaze (a rabbit and
> a cat of 15 years. Although it took 4hrs for the fire to get to his
> unit, the fire chief would not let him go retrieve his pets). The
> super stated his wife has experience nursing kittens, and is home
> during the day. (They already rescued another kitten from the condo,
> which is now 2 months old). I told him I would get back in touch with
> him once I know the health of the kitten and where we stand with her.

Njwatcher
September 26th 06, 07:23 AM
its 221 AM and nothing yet ;-(. Will do with the photo, though my
fiance' will yell at me.

Derek

Rhonda wrote:
> Man, it will be hard to let that baby go to another home, won't it? What
> a sweet thing.
>
> I'm glad to hear that the vet is not too worried yet and that stuff
> seems to be making its way through.
>
> If the kitten is not bloated, you are probably just doing a good job
> feeding her and she's getting a little chubby!
>
> I will be hoping for great news tomorrow morning.
>
> When she poops, take a picture of it, okay? :)
>
> Rhonda

Njwatcher
September 26th 06, 08:23 AM
Rhonda wrote:
..

> When she poops, take a picture of it, okay? :)
>
> Rhonda

http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=390077&j=t
Question is- is that considered a good start?

I'm tired and I have a global meeting in 6+hrs- lol

Derek

Rhonda
September 26th 06, 10:48 AM
Njwatcher wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
> .
>
>>When she poops, take a picture of it, okay? :)
>>
>>Rhonda
>>

> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=390077&j=t
> Question is- is that considered a good start?
>

> I'm tired and I have a global meeting in 6+hrs- lol
>
> Derek

Derek,

The picture is a bit blurry, but I see a penny and two shapes. Those two
things really came out of her? If so YYYYIIPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!! Woo Hooooooo!

Those look big for a teeny little girl. Her system is moving,
congratulations!!!!

Wow, got to pick out something brown to wear tomorrow...

Rhonda

Njwatcher
September 26th 06, 11:23 AM

> Derek,
>
> The picture is a bit blurry, but I see a penny and two shapes. Those two
> things really came out of her? If so YYYYIIPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!! Woo Hooooooo!
>
> Those look big for a teeny little girl. Her system is moving,
> congratulations!!!!
>
> Wow, got to pick out something brown to wear tomorrow...
>
> Rhonda

TY
Derek

more like thank her

Magic Mood Jeep©
September 26th 06, 12:07 PM
In ,
Rhonda purred:
> Njwatcher wrote:
>> Rhonda wrote:
>> .
>>
>>> When she poops, take a picture of it, okay? :)
>>>
>>> Rhonda
>>>

>> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=390077&j=t
>> Question is- is that considered a good start?
>>

>> I'm tired and I have a global meeting in 6+hrs- lol
>>
>> Derek
>
> Derek,
>
> The picture is a bit blurry, but I see a penny and two shapes. Those
> two things really came out of her? If so YYYYIIPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!! Woo
> Hooooooo!
> Those look big for a teeny little girl. Her system is moving,
> congratulations!!!!
>
> Wow, got to pick out something brown to wear tomorrow...
>
> Rhonda

Sorta been following the thread and have to tell you a bit of my story:

3 years ago I found 2 kittens that had been abandoned by their feral mama
(she had 5 in one of our basement window wells, moved 3 of them and left 2
behind - one was ill (white with black spots) and one was OK (all black) - I
believe, because of the coloring, she though she was leaving only the ill
one behind. The ill one did not make it :( but you can see pictures of the
survivor, Weeble, on my websots page, see the link in my signature). they
were less than 24 hours old (still had the umbilical cord attached).

The survivor took almost 3 days to have a bowel movement. I was getting
worried, and could feel the bowels filling up on him. But being on a KMR
(liquid) diet, it probably just took that long for something to 'build up'.

When he finally did poo, it was a doozy, and he was *not* happy about it,
and screamed through the whole ordeal (and continued to scream every time he
poo'd until he was 6-8 weeks old & using the 'big boy' litterbox!) - it
lasted for three 'rounds'. Part of his discomfort through it was that the
first 'round was fairly solid - and large! I imagine it hurt his little
bum! The second round was much softer (and smellier - ick), and the third
was pretty squishy (think toothpaste) - and it got in the fur on his bum and
tail - and he screamed because I was using a wet (!!!) washcloth to clean
him up.

After that, at almost every feeding, there was poo, sometimes only a smear
on a tissue. Sometimes even a bit of gas to go with!

Other than that, there was *always* pee at a feeding. Until one day, I
think he was about 10-14 days old, he wouldn't pee at a feeding. I went to
change his bedding (old towels that lined his nest box) and one corner of
them was sopping wet! He was going on his own. So we fashioned an
itty-bitty litterbox out of the cardboard tray that cases of canned petfood
is shipped in, lined with plastic & filled with clay litter. No sooner had
I put it in his nest box and he was digging around in it (making a mess
tossing all the litter out) and he pee'd in it. Later that night, I heard
him screaming, I thought for food, but when I checked, he was in his
litterbox, and he was poo-ing! (I said that he continued to do that until he
was older).

Anyway, bless you for caring for this tiny creature, tentative named E.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Wendy
September 26th 06, 01:52 PM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Rhonda wrote:
> .
>>
>> When she poops, take a picture of it, okay? :)
>>
>> Rhonda
>>
> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=390077&j=t
> Question is- is that considered a good start?
>

> I'm tired and I have a global meeting in 6+hrs- lol
>
> Derek

Excellent! Just about the color and consistency I'd expect. The belly rub
probably helped get things moving too. <BG>

"Rhonda" > wrote :

> Those look big for a teeny little girl. Her system is moving,
> congratulations!!!!
>
> Wow, got to pick out something brown to wear tomorrow...

Rhonda, thanks for the heads up in the subject line!

Wooooo hoooo! Good job, Derek, you no doubt saved this little
girl's life.

I am wearing a lovely chocolate brown boat-necked
fall sweater, 3/4 sleeve, cropped. :) It is a bit darker
than kitten-poop brown, but I wear it in the spirit of
celebration! YAYYYYY!

>> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=390077&j=t

That little squinchy face is just killing me.

:D

Eva Quesnell
September 26th 06, 06:31 PM
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Njwatcher wrote:

> http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=390077&j=t
> Question is- is that considered a good start?
>
> I'm tired and I have a global meeting in 6+hrs- lol
>
> Derek

Awww, it's a great start! She'll be pooping a lot now, I'm sure!

Yee-haw! You did it. Good on you!

Eva

Baby via CatKB.com
September 26th 06, 10:48 PM
well my baby kitten preferred cheese and lunch meat over milk but mine was a
stray who was separated from her mom. Your kitten may not trust you yet and
he may not want to eat something you are hand feeding.

Njwatcher wrote:
>Around 8:00pm found a 10 day old kitten on our Balcony (how she got
>there, I do not know). She may have been there since Thursday night;
>one of our condo-mates heard a cat downstairs and thought it was one of
>ours, and our cats showed interest at the balcony. She has some eye
>damage and a possible upper resp, but my main issue is she will not eat
>from a nipple, though she is searching around for food (I assume) and
>crying up a storm. ((Another issue is getting the nipple prepped
>correctly, though I may have solved that one.))
>
>ALL hint and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This board was
>essential last year when I found my last kitten, who was also blind
>(and still is). She is a terror, but we still love her :-)
>
>My sister who is a veterinarian came over and could not get her to eat.
> While we used an eye dropper to place milk replacer in her mouth, we
>don't want her to aspirate. My sister thinks she should be good till
>morning, and then obviously we should go to our own vet (already
>planned). If the guano hits the fan tonight, I will take the kitten to
>an emergency clinic.
>
>Derek
>
>email:
>AIM: Hicktock.
>
>Thanks
>
>Derek

Njwatcher
September 26th 06, 11:21 PM
> Awww, it's a great start! She'll be pooping a lot now, I'm sure!
>
> Yee-haw! You did it. Good on you!
>
> Eva

6:00pm on 9-26-06:

On an extremely positive note, she has now defecated in 4 sitting a
total of 6 links and 1 plop. I am grateful for this- it means the
plumbing works and the fear of blockage or a congenital defect (on this
end of the cat) is gone.

Between 6am and 6pm she has finished off 3/4ths of a bottle. She has
been active today, making noise, playful, and possibly teething?!?
(this young? She likes chewing in fingers, its not suckling.) I also
saw her begin to work out cleaning herself.

On the downside. As stated, her eyes were poor when we found her.
They look much better on the outside. Well, I guess looks are
deceiving. I came home from work around 10, and I swore and eye looked
like it was slightly bulging, the other recessed in a little. When I
came home for the next feeding, the bulging eye was 1-2mm further out.
BACK TO THE VET! (4th trip since Friday).

Our regular vet is off today. There are 4 other vets at this practice;
of which I like all of them (the newest is a little wet behind the ears
AND he forgets he went to college with my work partner, so we only use
him as last resort). The owner of the practice, and our other fav vet
saw the kitten. He wasn't happy with what he saw :-(. He gave me
Tobramycin 4x a day for her, and said "You will be back here Thursday".
He also said do not expect the eye to shrink back in immediately
(paraphrasing, I now forget what he said).

Always an adventure.

Till the next feeding, its now time to make the human food- aka dinner.

Derek

Njwatcher
September 26th 06, 11:35 PM
Baby via CatKB.com wrote:
> well my baby kitten preferred cheese and lunch meat over milk but mine was a
> stray who was separated from her mom. Your kitten may not trust you yet and
> he may not want to eat something you are hand feeding.
>/1

Kitten has been eating from a bottle since Friday. I think we have to
get the tip right, and she had to decide she liked the replacer.

Derek

Gail
September 26th 06, 11:42 PM
Keep us posted, Derek. You are doing a remarkable job and the kitten
couldn't be in better hands.
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Awww, it's a great start! She'll be pooping a lot now, I'm sure!
>>
>> Yee-haw! You did it. Good on you!
>>
>> Eva
>
> 6:00pm on 9-26-06:
>
> On an extremely positive note, she has now defecated in 4 sitting a
> total of 6 links and 1 plop. I am grateful for this- it means the
> plumbing works and the fear of blockage or a congenital defect (on this
> end of the cat) is gone.
>
> Between 6am and 6pm she has finished off 3/4ths of a bottle. She has
> been active today, making noise, playful, and possibly teething?!?
> (this young? She likes chewing in fingers, its not suckling.) I also
> saw her begin to work out cleaning herself.
>
> On the downside. As stated, her eyes were poor when we found her.
> They look much better on the outside. Well, I guess looks are
> deceiving. I came home from work around 10, and I swore and eye looked
> like it was slightly bulging, the other recessed in a little. When I
> came home for the next feeding, the bulging eye was 1-2mm further out.
> BACK TO THE VET! (4th trip since Friday).
>
> Our regular vet is off today. There are 4 other vets at this practice;
> of which I like all of them (the newest is a little wet behind the ears
> AND he forgets he went to college with my work partner, so we only use
> him as last resort). The owner of the practice, and our other fav vet
> saw the kitten. He wasn't happy with what he saw :-(. He gave me
> Tobramycin 4x a day for her, and said "You will be back here Thursday".
> He also said do not expect the eye to shrink back in immediately
> (paraphrasing, I now forget what he said).
>
> Always an adventure.
>
> Till the next feeding, its now time to make the human food- aka dinner.
>
> Derek

cybercat
September 27th 06, 12:06 AM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Keep us posted, Derek. You are doing a remarkable job and the kitten
> couldn't be in better hands.

Absolutely.

Lesley
September 27th 06, 12:07 AM
> > Till the next feeding, its now time to make the human food- aka dinner.
> >
> > Derek

You are a hero!!!

But only a real cat lover could appreciate the sight of what looks to
me like fine healthy kitten poop!!! Are we weird or what?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballls

Njwatcher
September 28th 06, 04:09 AM
I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
this 5 times in 5 days.

Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).

She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
blind.
And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).

Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
think he hears her cries.

Derek

cybercat
September 28th 06, 04:34 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> this 5 times in 5 days.
>
> Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
>
> She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> blind.

Oh,,, God, I am soooo sorry. I can tell how much of your heart is
wrapped up in this kitten. Oh poor baby. Could they give her anything
for pain? You know, blind cats can do very well. I wonder if the super
will still want her? This just does not seem fair, Derek.

Rhonda
September 28th 06, 04:37 AM
Oh gawd, I was going to ask tonight how the baby was doing. I was very
afraid when I read your title that she was gone.

I'm sorry about her eyes, but I think this girl is a fighter. Cats
adjust so well to disabilities, no one tells them they are disabled! Our
blind older cat did very well.

This is a special baby. She's gone through so much already -- so have you.

That rupture was probably somewhat painful, her system must be a bit
upset again.

Give her a cuddle from me.

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
> I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> this 5 times in 5 days.
>
> Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
>
> She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> blind.
> And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
>
> Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> think he hears her cries.
>
> Derek

meeee
September 28th 06, 06:37 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> this 5 times in 5 days.
>
> Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
>
> She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> blind.
> And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
>
> Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> think he hears her cries.
>
> Derek

Purrs for the poor little thing. You are doing the best for her, don't feel
bad. Keep up the good work.

-L.
September 28th 06, 06:45 AM
Njwatcher wrote:
> I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> this 5 times in 5 days.
>
> Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
>
> She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> blind.
> And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
>
> Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> think he hears her cries.
>
> Derek

She probably has herpes. Why he let it get to the point of rupture is
beyond me, but you may want to have the other eye removed even if it is
not ruptured, if it is badly infected. She's not out of the woods yet,
but obviously a fighter! Please keep us posted. She will do fine
blind - many cats do. Blindness is not a lethal affliction.

-L.

Njwatcher
September 28th 06, 11:30 AM
They eye inflated and burst within 24hr hrs. When we found her, she
was brought to the vet the next morning and placed on meds for her
eyes; that was Sat. The outer infection cleared and the eyes stopped
discharging by Monday. Tues I came home from work and noticed the eye
bulging and went to the vet and got a stronger antibiotic and was told
to return in 2 days- the eye ruptured in 1. The emergency vet said
both eyes are dead and should be removed at spaying.

She is too small to have the eye removed. (16 days old as of today).
(already late for getting ready for work :-( .. )

Derek

-L. wrote:
> Njwatcher wrote:
> > I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> > AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> > now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> > this 5 times in 5 days.
> >
> > Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> > within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> > The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> > spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
> >
> > She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> > blind.
> > And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> > vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
> >
> > Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> > think he hears her cries.
> >
> > Derek
>
> She probably has herpes. Why he let it get to the point of rupture is
> beyond me, but you may want to have the other eye removed even if it is
> not ruptured, if it is badly infected. She's not out of the woods yet,
> but obviously a fighter! Please keep us posted. She will do fine
> blind - many cats do. Blindness is not a lethal affliction.
>
> -L.

Njwatcher
September 28th 06, 11:33 AM
Nothing for the pain, but I do not know how to quantify what she is
feeling, if anything.
The eye will have all nerve loss very soon (paraphrasing vet). All I
know from being a human EMT (every so often pet) is that eyes can be a
painfull subject.

Derek

cybercat wrote:
> "Njwatcher" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> > AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> > now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> > this 5 times in 5 days.
> >
> > Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> > within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> > The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> > spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
> >
> > She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> > blind.
> >

> Oh,,, God, I am soooo sorry. I can tell how much of your heart is
> wrapped up in this kitten. Oh poor baby. Could they give her anything
> for pain? You know, blind cats can do very well. I wonder if the super
> will still want her? This just does not seem fair, Derek.

Njwatcher
September 28th 06, 11:36 AM
Will do. This will be our second blind cat (if we keep her ((putting a
damn lot of energy into a foster if I dont)) ).

Mini, our find last year, had one eye malformed, and one almost
ruptured later in her kittenhood, and she was born WITHOUT upper
eyelids; we had to give her artifical tears and cream. A side note: if
she had eyes, I think she would be back out on the street :-) (she
likes to bite daddies toes :-) )

Derek

Rhonda wrote:
> Oh gawd, I was going to ask tonight how the baby was doing. I was very
> afraid when I read your title that she was gone.
>
> I'm sorry about her eyes, but I think this girl is a fighter. Cats
> adjust so well to disabilities, no one tells them they are disabled! Our
> blind older cat did very well.
>
> This is a special baby. She's gone through so much already -- so have you.
>
> That rupture was probably somewhat painful, her system must be a bit
> upset again.
>
> Give her a cuddle from me.
>
> Rhonda
>
> Njwatcher wrote:
> > I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> > AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> > now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> > this 5 times in 5 days.
> >
> > Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> > within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> > The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> > spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
> >
> > She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> > blind.
> > And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> > vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
> >
> > Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> > think he hears her cries.
> >
> > Derek

In article om>,
says...

> I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> this 5 times in 5 days.
>
> Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
>
> She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> blind.
> And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
>
> Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> think he hears her cries.
>
> Derek

Awww. Blind cats do pretty well. In fact a co-worker of mine has a blind
cat and that cat has apapted very well.

Niel Humphreys
September 28th 06, 12:50 PM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Will do. This will be our second blind cat (if we keep her ((putting a
> damn lot of energy into a foster if I dont)) ).

If Mini was also a stray you took in it looks like either of the parents
have some sort of congenital eye problem that they are passing on to their
kitties. :(

--

Niel H

"Njwatcher" > wrote :

> This will be our second blind cat (if we keep her ((putting a
> damn lot of energy into a foster if I dont)) ).

Oh, Derek, this is the best anyone could hope for, for you and your
fiancee to keep her. I hope you decide to. I don't think I've ever seen
anyone more loving and giving and dedicated to a kitten. If someone
like you could take her, the tragedy of her losing her eyes somehow
seems easier to take.

> Mini, our find last year, had one eye malformed, and one almost
> ruptured later in her kittenhood, and she was born WITHOUT upper
> eyelids; we had to give her artifical tears and cream. A side note: if
> she had eyes, I think she would be back out on the street :-) (she
> likes to bite daddies toes :-) )

Aww, poor little thing. She is another lucky kitty. Did she lose both
eyes?

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
September 29th 06, 12:27 AM
I've loved reading this thread. I also am fostering a kitten I got at 1
week old, she's now 4 weeks. Xena had problems with bm's right from the
start and her pattern seems to be every 3 days. at 2 weeks I took her to the
vet because it had been 6 days since she went and he pulled it out with a
lubricated q-tip. It was hard as a rock, like stone. i was told to put 2
drops of mineral oil in each feeding, so when I made up 4 tbs. I put in 8
drops. Seemed to help considerably. This weekend she started using the
litterbox for both and it's a real relief for me. The pictures you posted
look very much like my little girl. Good luck. I'm going to continue
watching this thread. Give her a little hug for me please. She's totally
adorable.

Njwatcher wrote:
>> well my baby kitten preferred cheese and lunch meat over milk but mine was a
>> stray who was separated from her mom. Your kitten may not trust you yet and
>> he may not want to eat something you are hand feeding.
>>/1
>
>Kitten has been eating from a bottle since Friday. I think we have to
>get the tip right, and she had to decide she liked the replacer.
>
>Derek

Njwatcher
September 29th 06, 01:12 AM

> Oh, Derek, this is the best anyone could hope for, for you and your
> fiancee to keep her. I hope you decide to. I don't think I've ever seen
> anyone more loving and giving and dedicated to a kitten. If someone
> like you could take her, the tragedy of her losing her eyes somehow
> seems easier to take.
>
> Aww, poor little thing. She is another lucky kitty. Did she lose both
> eyes?

As I sit with the kitten mewing in a towel in my lap- Today was vet
trip #6, following up from vet visit #4 and #5. The vet said do not
give up on the eyes just yet (the blown eye is no longer pigmented
kitten blue and is still oozing gray material). The kitten also gave
me more fecal samples today, so I had something to celebrate. Brought
them in for a fecal.

We are working on a god/mythical name for her to go with our other
three brats.

Per Mini (Minerva). She lost both. One was gone and fused within the
eye socket when we found her ((( as a side, kitten is sleeping in lap
now, dreaming away ))). The other eye lasted a few months more. We
think it got scratched, and the medication we had to put on it twice
daily had a steroid, which opened the wound. We removed the eye when
the eye wall began to weaken. The current kitten has it worse.

Derek

Gail
September 29th 06, 01:40 AM
Derek: Like the others, I hope you keep the kitten. You are her mother now
and have given her the best care anyone could. Keep us posted.
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...

>> Oh, Derek, this is the best anyone could hope for, for you and your
>> fiancee to keep her. I hope you decide to. I don't think I've ever seen
>> anyone more loving and giving and dedicated to a kitten. If someone
>> like you could take her, the tragedy of her losing her eyes somehow
>> seems easier to take.
>>
>> Aww, poor little thing. She is another lucky kitty. Did she lose both
>> eyes?
>>
> As I sit with the kitten mewing in a towel in my lap- Today was vet
> trip #6, following up from vet visit #4 and #5. The vet said do not
> give up on the eyes just yet (the blown eye is no longer pigmented
> kitten blue and is still oozing gray material). The kitten also gave
> me more fecal samples today, so I had something to celebrate. Brought
> them in for a fecal.
>
> We are working on a god/mythical name for her to go with our other
> three brats.
>
> Per Mini (Minerva). She lost both. One was gone and fused within the
> eye socket when we found her ((( as a side, kitten is sleeping in lap
> now, dreaming away ))). The other eye lasted a few months more. We
> think it got scratched, and the medication we had to put on it twice
> daily had a steroid, which opened the wound. We removed the eye when
> the eye wall began to weaken. The current kitten has it worse.
>
> Derek

Matthew
September 29th 06, 01:40 AM
Plutus he was a god blinded by Zeus he was the god of money and wealth
he was blinded by Zeus so he could give his gifts without prejudice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutus

"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...

>> Oh, Derek, this is the best anyone could hope for, for you and your
>> fiancee to keep her. I hope you decide to. I don't think I've ever seen
>> anyone more loving and giving and dedicated to a kitten. If someone
>> like you could take her, the tragedy of her losing her eyes somehow
>> seems easier to take.
>>
>> Aww, poor little thing. She is another lucky kitty. Did she lose both
>> eyes?
>>
> As I sit with the kitten mewing in a towel in my lap- Today was vet
> trip #6, following up from vet visit #4 and #5. The vet said do not
> give up on the eyes just yet (the blown eye is no longer pigmented
> kitten blue and is still oozing gray material). The kitten also gave
> me more fecal samples today, so I had something to celebrate. Brought
> them in for a fecal.
>
> We are working on a god/mythical name for her to go with our other
> three brats.
>
> Per Mini (Minerva). She lost both. One was gone and fused within the
> eye socket when we found her ((( as a side, kitten is sleeping in lap
> now, dreaming away ))). The other eye lasted a few months more. We
> think it got scratched, and the medication we had to put on it twice
> daily had a steroid, which opened the wound. We removed the eye when
> the eye wall began to weaken. The current kitten has it worse.
>
> Derek

September 29th 06, 03:23 AM
In article >,
says...
> Plutus he was a god blinded by Zeus he was the god of money and wealth
> he was blinded by Zeus so he could give his gifts without prejudice
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutus

Wow, that's a great name for a blind cat.

Just the wrong gender. Oh well, they don't know any better.

meeee
September 29th 06, 04:09 AM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> Plutus he was a god blinded by Zeus he was the god of money and
>> wealth
>> he was blinded by Zeus so he could give his gifts without prejudice
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutus
>
> Wow, that's a great name for a blind cat.
>

> Just the wrong gender. Oh well, they don't know any better.

Themis...goddess of justice, who is blindfolded???

Rhonda
September 29th 06, 04:43 AM
Njwatcher wrote:
> As I sit with the kitten mewing in a towel in my lap- Today was vet
> trip #6, following up from vet visit #4 and #5. The vet said do not
> give up on the eyes just yet (the blown eye is no longer pigmented
> kitten blue and is still oozing gray material). The kitten also gave
> me more fecal samples today, so I had something to celebrate. Brought
> them in for a fecal.

The poop is great news, and I hope the eyes are not as bad as first
thought. The fact that she's still with you and eating and fighting is
everything.

As for a name, how about the muse Calliope? I can't wait to hear what
you've named her. She seems like a gift.

I hope she's bigger and stronger every day. Let us know when you have
more pictures. I'd love to see an album of her growing up.

Rhonda

Njwatcher
September 29th 06, 02:31 PM
Morning. Thankfully she gave me some more nuggets last night. Last
night seeing I was the only one home, the kitten and I watched some
quality computer/tv time together. I need to post some lap photo's of
her.

Her newest quirk is pawing her head by her ears. I am unsure if this
is eye related, possible mites (I do not see any), or ear infections
(good god am I a neurotic owner). She also at one point mewed herself
horse.

Derek

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com wrote:
> I've loved reading this thread. I also am fostering a kitten I got at 1
> week old, she's now 4 weeks. Xena had problems with bm's right from the
> start and her pattern seems to be every 3 days. at 2 weeks I took her to the
> vet because it had been 6 days since she went and he pulled it out with a
> lubricated q-tip. It was hard as a rock, like stone. i was told to put 2
> drops of mineral oil in each feeding, so when I made up 4 tbs. I put in 8
> drops. Seemed to help considerably. This weekend she started using the
> litterbox for both and it's a real relief for me. The pictures you posted
> look very much like my little girl. Good luck. I'm going to continue
> watching this thread. Give her a little hug for me please. She's totally
> adorable.

Njwatcher
September 29th 06, 02:38 PM

> Awww. Blind cats do pretty well. In fact a co-worker of mine has a blind
> cat and that cat has apapted very well.

Blind kitties do very well. Besides the one we own, there is a woman
on catster who started a group for them. Her stories of the blind cats
playing are hilarious (cats pouncing at each other and missing, etc).

Minerva, while half the size of our other two cats is always at their
feet. We added bells to Apollo and Athena's collar initially to help
Mini. Now she hunts them by listening for it. They tolerate her to a
point. She is also extremely intelligent, and problem solves (how to
get up to the top of dressers where the other two seek shelter from
her, etc).

Derek

Njwatcher
September 29th 06, 02:44 PM
> I hope she's bigger and stronger every day. Let us know when you have
> more pictures. I'd love to see an album of her growing up.
>
> Rhonda

I have been taking daily photos; either with my camera or via my phone
(which I need to figure out how to get to my computer).

I will let you know

Derek

Wendy
September 29th 06, 02:55 PM
Not neurotic. Pawing at the ears can very well be a sign of ear mites. Put
that on your list of things to ask the vet about the next time you see him.
Not sure what they would recommend with a kitten this young. Have you
checked her for fleas?

"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Morning. Thankfully she gave me some more nuggets last night. Last
> night seeing I was the only one home, the kitten and I watched some
> quality computer/tv time together. I need to post some lap photo's of
> her.
>
> Her newest quirk is pawing her head by her ears. I am unsure if this
> is eye related, possible mites (I do not see any), or ear infections
> (good god am I a neurotic owner). She also at one point mewed herself
> horse.
>
> Derek
>
> Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com wrote:
>> I've loved reading this thread. I also am fostering a kitten I got at 1
>> week old, she's now 4 weeks. Xena had problems with bm's right from the
>> start and her pattern seems to be every 3 days. at 2 weeks I took her to
>> the
>> vet because it had been 6 days since she went and he pulled it out with a
>> lubricated q-tip. It was hard as a rock, like stone. i was told to put
>> 2
>> drops of mineral oil in each feeding, so when I made up 4 tbs. I put in 8
>> drops. Seemed to help considerably. This weekend she started using the
>> litterbox for both and it's a real relief for me. The pictures you
>> posted
>> look very much like my little girl. Good luck. I'm going to continue
>> watching this thread. Give her a little hug for me please. She's
>> totally
>> adorable.

Njwatcher
September 29th 06, 06:15 PM
No BUT I am very allergic to Flea's and flea dirt. Normally when I
come into prolonged contact with a cat with fleas, I have reaction. So
far no. Just in case, I do own a flea comb.
She is going in Monday for a follow up for her eyes. If it gets bad
tonight, she will go in tomorrow.

Derek

Wendy wrote:
> Not neurotic. Pawing at the ears can very well be a sign of ear mites. Put
> that on your list of things to ask the vet about the next time you see him.
> Not sure what they would recommend with a kitten this young. Have you
> checked her for fleas?

Matthew
September 29th 06, 06:22 PM
Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to really
respond and help.
I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save and
help this little one.
A THANK YOU from all who love animals
A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> No BUT I am very allergic to Flea's and flea dirt. Normally when I
> come into prolonged contact with a cat with fleas, I have reaction. So
> far no. Just in case, I do own a flea comb.
> She is going in Monday for a follow up for her eyes. If it gets bad
> tonight, she will go in tomorrow.
>
> Derek
>
> Wendy wrote:
>> Not neurotic. Pawing at the ears can very well be a sign of ear mites.
>> Put
>> that on your list of things to ask the vet about the next time you see
>> him.
>> Not sure what they would recommend with a kitten this young. Have you
>> checked her for fleas?

Njwatcher
September 30th 06, 03:04 AM
Got her to defecate a few times today- woowoo! :-)

Some photos on snapfish:
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57472016/a=29706977_29706977/t_=29706977

If you do not have an account- you will need to set up one, which is
free.

Also, kitten is teething

Derek

TY Matthew, though my 1st thought when I saw your post was I only save
humanity on Sat nights and sometimes during the week (I am an EMT, and
thats the night I ride :-) )

My Fiance' jokingly asks- are their cat teething toys besides fingers?

Matthew wrote:
> Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to really
> respond and help.
> I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save and
> help this little one.
> A THANK YOU from all who love animals
> A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
> It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

Gail
September 30th 06, 03:09 AM
She is cuter than ever!!
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Got her to defecate a few times today- woowoo! :-)
>
> Some photos on snapfish:
> http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57472016/a=29706977_29706977/t_=29706977
>
> If you do not have an account- you will need to set up one, which is
> free.
>
> Also, kitten is teething
>
> Derek
>
> TY Matthew, though my 1st thought when I saw your post was I only save
> humanity on Sat nights and sometimes during the week (I am an EMT, and
> thats the night I ride :-) )
>
> My Fiance' jokingly asks- are their cat teething toys besides fingers?
>
> Matthew wrote:
>> Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to
>> really
>> respond and help.
>> I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save
>> and
>> help this little one.
>> A THANK YOU from all who love animals
>> A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
>> It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

Rhonda
September 30th 06, 07:22 AM
What a cute girl! That spot of orange on her forehead is just the cutest.

She looks so healthy and playful. She also looks a bit chubby in some of
those pictures, you're doing a great job!

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
> Got her to defecate a few times today- woowoo! :-)
>
> Some photos on snapfish:
> http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57472016/a=29706977_29706977/t_=29706977
>
> If you do not have an account- you will need to set up one, which is
> free.
>
> Also, kitten is teething
>
> Derek
>
> TY Matthew, though my 1st thought when I saw your post was I only save
> humanity on Sat nights and sometimes during the week (I am an EMT, and
> thats the night I ride :-) )
>
> My Fiance' jokingly asks- are their cat teething toys besides fingers?
>
> Matthew wrote:
>
>>Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to really
>>respond and help.
>> I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save and
>>help this little one.
>>A THANK YOU from all who love animals
>>A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
>>It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

Wendy
September 30th 06, 12:26 PM
She looks really good in the pictures. Quite chunky - you must be feeding
her well.

Are they absolutely sure she has to lose both eyes? I had a kitty last year
that had a ruptured globe when we picked him up off the streets. Turned out
he kept the eye and had some sight in it even.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=54048392/a=25888229_25888229/t_=25888229

Hope the link works. These were taken when he was already on the mend. The
last picture was taken after the eye healed (on the left. You can see the
cloudy scar) and shortly before he got adopted.

"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Got her to defecate a few times today- woowoo! :-)
>
> Some photos on snapfish:
> http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57472016/a=29706977_29706977/t_=29706977
>
> If you do not have an account- you will need to set up one, which is
> free.
>
> Also, kitten is teething
>
> Derek
>
> TY Matthew, though my 1st thought when I saw your post was I only save
> humanity on Sat nights and sometimes during the week (I am an EMT, and
> thats the night I ride :-) )
>
> My Fiance' jokingly asks- are their cat teething toys besides fingers?
>
> Matthew wrote:
>> Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to
>> really
>> respond and help.
>> I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save
>> and
>> help this little one.
>> A THANK YOU from all who love animals
>> A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
>> It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

Njwatcher
September 30th 06, 03:23 PM
People think my kitten is fat :-( (JOKING). Per her eyes, one of our
regular vets said lets wait and see vs the emergency vet who said she
will lose them.

More nuggets this morning (thankfully). Currently, we are letting her
walk around my office under parental supervision. MY other 3 cats have
decided that while we are spending all this time with the kitten, all
the regular rules that applied in the house no longer exist. My
fiance' picked the other cats up some cat crack (tuna flakes). We hope
this makes a peace with them, as well as some quality time this weekend
as we catch up on household chores.

Derek

Rhonda
October 1st 06, 08:45 AM
She did look a bit chubby in that one picture, and what a compliment on
your feeding skills! :)

How is she this weekend?

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
> People think my kitten is fat :-( (JOKING). Per her eyes, one of our
> regular vets said lets wait and see vs the emergency vet who said she
> will lose them.

Njwatcher
October 1st 06, 01:36 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> She did look a bit chubby in that one picture, and what a compliment on
> your feeding skills! :)
>
> How is she this weekend?
>
> Rhonda

I am not objecting to the comments btw, I was having fun with them.
(AKA writing joking). She has defecated now on a daily basis at least
once. We decided that she did not like the set up in the 50 gallon
container we had set her up in- We think the towel I used made the
flooring too soft. She was not walking around in the enclosure.

We blocked off part of the office and made her a new area. She is up
and somewhat walking around, gaining steadiness with every hour. She
is getting more playful, and I am sure we will be teaching her "No
Bite" when she gets older :-). Otherwise she has been a doll.

I will post some more photos later. Tomorrow she goes back for another
follow up on her eyes. Also on the agenda will be Scabs on her pads
and paws (she had blisters from crawling around the cement- a topic I
did not bring up here due to- well, wasn't as life threatening as not
eating and lack of bowel movements), possibility of ear mites (we did
check)- her scratching at the back of her head/ears, and head shakes-
all of which could be connected to the eye infections

Till the next feeding

Derek

Gail
October 1st 06, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the update, Derek. You are continuing to do a terrific job!!
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Rhonda wrote:
>> She did look a bit chubby in that one picture, and what a compliment on
>> your feeding skills! :)
>>
>> How is she this weekend?
>>
>> Rhonda
>>
> I am not objecting to the comments btw, I was having fun with them.
> (AKA writing joking). She has defecated now on a daily basis at least
> once. We decided that she did not like the set up in the 50 gallon
> container we had set her up in- We think the towel I used made the
> flooring too soft. She was not walking around in the enclosure.
>
> We blocked off part of the office and made her a new area. She is up
> and somewhat walking around, gaining steadiness with every hour. She
> is getting more playful, and I am sure we will be teaching her "No
> Bite" when she gets older :-). Otherwise she has been a doll.
>
> I will post some more photos later. Tomorrow she goes back for another
> follow up on her eyes. Also on the agenda will be Scabs on her pads
> and paws (she had blisters from crawling around the cement- a topic I
> did not bring up here due to- well, wasn't as life threatening as not
> eating and lack of bowel movements), possibility of ear mites (we did
> check)- her scratching at the back of her head/ears, and head shakes-
> all of which could be connected to the eye infections
>
> Till the next feeding
>
> Derek

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:32 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Got her to defecate a few times today- woowoo! :-)
>
> Some photos on snapfish:
> http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57472016/a=29706977_29706977/t_=29706977
>
> If you do not have an account- you will need to set up one, which is
> free.
>
> Also, kitten is teething
>
> Derek
>
> TY Matthew, though my 1st thought when I saw your post was I only save
> humanity on Sat nights and sometimes during the week (I am an EMT, and
> thats the night I ride :-) )
>
> My Fiance' jokingly asks- are their cat teething toys besides fingers?

Yes...toes.

> Matthew wrote:
>> Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to
>> really
>> respond and help.
>> I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save
>> and
>> help this little one.
>> A THANK YOU from all who love animals
>> A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
>> It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:34 AM
She is soooo cute, you are doing so well!!

"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Got her to defecate a few times today- woowoo! :-)
>
> Some photos on snapfish:
> http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57472016/a=29706977_29706977/t_=29706977
>
> If you do not have an account- you will need to set up one, which is
> free.
>
> Also, kitten is teething
>
> Derek
>
> TY Matthew, though my 1st thought when I saw your post was I only save
> humanity on Sat nights and sometimes during the week (I am an EMT, and
> thats the night I ride :-) )
>
> My Fiance' jokingly asks- are their cat teething toys besides fingers?
>
> Matthew wrote:
>> Derek I have been reading your post. Sorry I have not been able to
>> really
>> respond and help.
>> I wish I could shake your hand for all the work you are doing to save
>> and
>> help this little one.
>> A THANK YOU from all who love animals
>> A BIG THANK YOU from me and my pack.
>> It gives me a boost in my faith that humanity is worth saving

williammee2002 via CatKB.com
October 2nd 06, 07:04 PM
Have you picked out a name for this little mighty one. She is very strong and
evidently has a good reason to fight out all of these problems, you and your
fiance. I think you guys should keep her. A name I found on the site below is
SEKHMET; A name one might consider for a tough but gentle female cat, which
your little one definetly is. This is if you haven't already named her. You
could check this site out it have all kinds of cat names on it and there
definitions, although this web address will drop you off on the page that I
found the name above on. Good luck and bless your home for all the good it's
done, not just for the little one, but for all that it's done.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/6913/egypt.htm

Njwatcher wrote:
>> She did look a bit chubby in that one picture, and what a compliment on
>> your feeding skills! :)
>>
>> How is she this weekend?
>>
>> Rhonda
>
>I am not objecting to the comments btw, I was having fun with them.
>(AKA writing joking). She has defecated now on a daily basis at least
>once. We decided that she did not like the set up in the 50 gallon
>container we had set her up in- We think the towel I used made the
>flooring too soft. She was not walking around in the enclosure.
>
>We blocked off part of the office and made her a new area. She is up
>and somewhat walking around, gaining steadiness with every hour. She
>is getting more playful, and I am sure we will be teaching her "No
>Bite" when she gets older :-). Otherwise she has been a doll.
>
>I will post some more photos later. Tomorrow she goes back for another
>follow up on her eyes. Also on the agenda will be Scabs on her pads
>and paws (she had blisters from crawling around the cement- a topic I
>did not bring up here due to- well, wasn't as life threatening as not
>eating and lack of bowel movements), possibility of ear mites (we did
>check)- her scratching at the back of her head/ears, and head shakes-
>all of which could be connected to the eye infections
>
>Till the next feeding
>
>Derek

williammee2002 via CatKB.com
October 2nd 06, 07:05 PM
PS. sorry forgot to say chubby cats are the greatest my kitty is a little
chunk and I just love her

Njwatcher wrote:
>> She did look a bit chubby in that one picture, and what a compliment on
>> your feeding skills! :)
>>
>> How is she this weekend?
>>
>> Rhonda
>
>I am not objecting to the comments btw, I was having fun with them.
>(AKA writing joking). She has defecated now on a daily basis at least
>once. We decided that she did not like the set up in the 50 gallon
>container we had set her up in- We think the towel I used made the
>flooring too soft. She was not walking around in the enclosure.
>
>We blocked off part of the office and made her a new area. She is up
>and somewhat walking around, gaining steadiness with every hour. She
>is getting more playful, and I am sure we will be teaching her "No
>Bite" when she gets older :-). Otherwise she has been a doll.
>
>I will post some more photos later. Tomorrow she goes back for another
>follow up on her eyes. Also on the agenda will be Scabs on her pads
>and paws (she had blisters from crawling around the cement- a topic I
>did not bring up here due to- well, wasn't as life threatening as not
>eating and lack of bowel movements), possibility of ear mites (we did
>check)- her scratching at the back of her head/ears, and head shakes-
>all of which could be connected to the eye infections
>
>Till the next feeding
>
>Derek

Njwatcher
October 3rd 06, 03:28 AM
Hi all. The name choice came down to A-4 (an ambulance at our squad,
and cat #4), BASTET, and Syren (her voice did save her). Bastet has
been in the lead (and was put on catster, though we are more leaning
toward Syren these days.

Mair did most of the feedings last night. I got hit with a
mega-migraine and got wiped out. Today the kitten had her 7th trip the
vet. We raised 7 concerns with the veterinarian as well as mortality
(initially we were told she had a 50/50 chance). At this point, she
should be good to go. He says she is 100% blind in 1 eye- the fact I
find interesting is it isn't the one that ruptured; it's the one that
has receded. (Today I watched the one that ruptured react to light-
was a good sign). Of our other concerns, they were addressed and told
to watch. She was also taken off her antibiotics. Her next visit will
be next Monday.

Derek.
----------------

Hi, Marianne here, aka 'the Fiance'
Derek wanted me to say a few words.

The little one is currently playing in Derek's lap. She is alternately
playful and cuddly, sometimes wanting to play and sometimes just
wanting to nuzzle and nap. She's definitely cut teeth. Ow! The vet
is very familiar with us, due to Mini, though this one is topping her
for effort and worries. $&@#(*$#* Kitten! Which has often been her
name in the days since we found her. Thank you all for your support,
encouragement and advice. It felt so good to hear the vet today say
she's looking great, and that he has no worries about her survival at
this point. He also said her eye is looking good, as Derek said. She
weighed 15oz, up from 6.5oz on Saturday 9/23. We plan to keep her in
quarentine at least until she can be tested for FIV/FELV and start her
vaccinations, which is about a month from now. All we can do now is
feed her, play with and cuddle her, and give her lots of love and
socialization. Oh, and appease the others who are mighty ****ed at us
as of late, and I think feeling a bit neglected. So, hi, and thanks
again for all your replies.

Marianne

cybercat
October 3rd 06, 03:59 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Hi all. The name choice came down to A-4 (an ambulance at our squad,
> and cat #4), BASTET, and Syren (her voice did save her). Bastet has
> been in the lead (and was put on catster, though we are more leaning
> toward Syren these days.
>
> Mair did most of the feedings last night. I got hit with a
> mega-migraine and got wiped out. Today the kitten had her 7th trip the
> vet. We raised 7 concerns with the veterinarian as well as mortality
> (initially we were told she had a 50/50 chance). At this point, she
> should be good to go. He says she is 100% blind in 1 eye- the fact I
> find interesting is it isn't the one that ruptured; it's the one that
> has receded. (Today I watched the one that ruptured react to light-
> was a good sign). Of our other concerns, they were addressed and told
> to watch. She was also taken off her antibiotics. Her next visit will
> be next Monday.
>
> Derek.
> ----------------
>
> Hi, Marianne here, aka 'the Fiance'
> Derek wanted me to say a few words.
>
> The little one is currently playing in Derek's lap. She is alternately
> playful and cuddly, sometimes wanting to play and sometimes just
> wanting to nuzzle and nap. She's definitely cut teeth. Ow! The vet
> is very familiar with us, due to Mini, though this one is topping her
> for effort and worries. $&@#(*$#* Kitten! Which has often been her
> name in the days since we found her. Thank you all for your support,
> encouragement and advice. It felt so good to hear the vet today say
> she's looking great, and that he has no worries about her survival at
> this point. He also said her eye is looking good, as Derek said. She
> weighed 15oz, up from 6.5oz on Saturday 9/23. We plan to keep her in
> quarentine at least until she can be tested for FIV/FELV and start her
> vaccinations, which is about a month from now. All we can do now is
> feed her, play with and cuddle her, and give her lots of love and
> socialization. Oh, and appease the others who are mighty ****ed at us
> as of late, and I think feeling a bit neglected. So, hi, and thanks
> again for all your replies.
>
> Marianne

Thanks, Derek and Marianne, for everything you have done and for
sharing your story with us. It has been a wonderful thing to read in between
the frequent animal cruelty cases I seem to see everywhere.

My vote is for Syren! (Or "Siren," in the old mythology sense.)

Lynne
October 3rd 06, 04:02 AM
Njwatcher wrote:
> Hi all. The name choice came down to A-4 (an ambulance at our squad,
> and cat #4), BASTET, and Syren (her voice did save her). Bastet has
> been in the lead (and was put on catster, though we are more leaning
> toward Syren these days.
>
> Mair did most of the feedings last night. I got hit with a
> mega-migraine and got wiped out. Today the kitten had her 7th trip the
> vet. We raised 7 concerns with the veterinarian as well as mortality
> (initially we were told she had a 50/50 chance). At this point, she
> should be good to go. He says she is 100% blind in 1 eye- the fact I
> find interesting is it isn't the one that ruptured; it's the one that
> has receded. (Today I watched the one that ruptured react to light-
> was a good sign). Of our other concerns, they were addressed and told
> to watch. She was also taken off her antibiotics. Her next visit will
> be next Monday.
>
> Derek.
> ----------------
>
> Hi, Marianne here, aka 'the Fiance'
> Derek wanted me to say a few words.
>
> The little one is currently playing in Derek's lap. She is alternately
> playful and cuddly, sometimes wanting to play and sometimes just
> wanting to nuzzle and nap. She's definitely cut teeth. Ow! The vet
> is very familiar with us, due to Mini, though this one is topping her
> for effort and worries. $&@#(*$#* Kitten! Which has often been her
> name in the days since we found her. Thank you all for your support,
> encouragement and advice. It felt so good to hear the vet today say
> she's looking great, and that he has no worries about her survival at
> this point. He also said her eye is looking good, as Derek said. She
> weighed 15oz, up from 6.5oz on Saturday 9/23. We plan to keep her in
> quarentine at least until she can be tested for FIV/FELV and start her
> vaccinations, which is about a month from now. All we can do now is
> feed her, play with and cuddle her, and give her lots of love and
> socialization. Oh, and appease the others who are mighty ****ed at us
> as of late, and I think feeling a bit neglected. So, hi, and thanks
> again for all your replies.
>
> Marianne

Derek, Marianne,

You are both absolutely lovely individuals! I have adored reading
about your kitten and her progress. I have a little one who was also
abandoned by his mother, but our challenges have been nothing like
yours. You are both amazing! What a lucky little girl!! I hope she
continues to improve. She owes you her life and I suspect she will
have an unsually strong bond to people because of your loving care.

<3

Matthew
October 3rd 06, 04:06 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Njwatcher" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>
>> Hi all. The name choice came down to A-4 (an ambulance at our squad,
>> and cat #4), BASTET, and Syren (her voice did save her). Bastet has
>> been in the lead (and was put on catster, though we are more leaning
>> toward Syren these days.
>>
>> Mair did most of the feedings last night. I got hit with a
>> mega-migraine and got wiped out. Today the kitten had her 7th trip the
>> vet. We raised 7 concerns with the veterinarian as well as mortality
>> (initially we were told she had a 50/50 chance). At this point, she
>> should be good to go. He says she is 100% blind in 1 eye- the fact I
>> find interesting is it isn't the one that ruptured; it's the one that
>> has receded. (Today I watched the one that ruptured react to light-
>> was a good sign). Of our other concerns, they were addressed and told
>> to watch. She was also taken off her antibiotics. Her next visit will
>> be next Monday.
>>
>> Derek.
>> ----------------
>>
>> Hi, Marianne here, aka 'the Fiance'
>> Derek wanted me to say a few words.
>>
>> The little one is currently playing in Derek's lap. She is alternately
>> playful and cuddly, sometimes wanting to play and sometimes just
>> wanting to nuzzle and nap. She's definitely cut teeth. Ow! The vet
>> is very familiar with us, due to Mini, though this one is topping her
>> for effort and worries. $&@#(*$#* Kitten! Which has often been her
>> name in the days since we found her. Thank you all for your support,
>> encouragement and advice. It felt so good to hear the vet today say
>> she's looking great, and that he has no worries about her survival at
>> this point. He also said her eye is looking good, as Derek said. She
>> weighed 15oz, up from 6.5oz on Saturday 9/23. We plan to keep her in
>> quarentine at least until she can be tested for FIV/FELV and start her
>> vaccinations, which is about a month from now. All we can do now is
>> feed her, play with and cuddle her, and give her lots of love and
>> socialization. Oh, and appease the others who are mighty ****ed at us
>> as of late, and I think feeling a bit neglected. So, hi, and thanks
>> again for all your replies.
>>
>> Marianne
>

> Thanks, Derek and Marianne, for everything you have done and for
> sharing your story with us. It has been a wonderful thing to read in
> between
> the frequent animal cruelty cases I seem to see everywhere.
>
> My vote is for Syren! (Or "Siren," in the old mythology sense.)
You would pick that name ;-)

Rhonda
October 3rd 06, 05:58 AM
Nice to hear from both of you!

I'm glad your little pudge-ball (haha) is doing so well. You both are
doing a terrific job.

I hope she can see out of that eye, but sounds like you guys can take
care of her either way.

Give her a cuddle from me.

Rhonda

Njwatcher wrote:
> Hi all. The name choice came down to A-4 (an ambulance at our squad,
> and cat #4), BASTET, and Syren (her voice did save her). Bastet has
> been in the lead (and was put on catster, though we are more leaning
> toward Syren these days.
>
> Mair did most of the feedings last night. I got hit with a
> mega-migraine and got wiped out. Today the kitten had her 7th trip the
> vet. We raised 7 concerns with the veterinarian as well as mortality
> (initially we were told she had a 50/50 chance). At this point, she
> should be good to go. He says she is 100% blind in 1 eye- the fact I
> find interesting is it isn't the one that ruptured; it's the one that
> has receded. (Today I watched the one that ruptured react to light-
> was a good sign). Of our other concerns, they were addressed and told
> to watch. She was also taken off her antibiotics. Her next visit will
> be next Monday.
>
> Derek.
> ----------------
>
> Hi, Marianne here, aka 'the Fiance'
> Derek wanted me to say a few words.
>
> The little one is currently playing in Derek's lap. She is alternately
> playful and cuddly, sometimes wanting to play and sometimes just
> wanting to nuzzle and nap. She's definitely cut teeth. Ow! The vet
> is very familiar with us, due to Mini, though this one is topping her
> for effort and worries. $&@#(*$#* Kitten! Which has often been her
> name in the days since we found her. Thank you all for your support,
> encouragement and advice. It felt so good to hear the vet today say
> she's looking great, and that he has no worries about her survival at
> this point. He also said her eye is looking good, as Derek said. She
> weighed 15oz, up from 6.5oz on Saturday 9/23. We plan to keep her in
> quarentine at least until she can be tested for FIV/FELV and start her
> vaccinations, which is about a month from now. All we can do now is
> feed her, play with and cuddle her, and give her lots of love and
> socialization. Oh, and appease the others who are mighty ****ed at us
> as of late, and I think feeling a bit neglected. So, hi, and thanks
> again for all your replies.
>
> Marianne

MaryL
October 3rd 06, 11:45 AM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I will write more tomorrow (either my next feeding shift which is 2:00
> AM or tomorrow when everything has soaked in). The kitten, which is
> now getting named, had to go to the vet for the 5th time today; making
> this 5 times in 5 days.
>
> Within the span of a feeding, a bubble formed on the bulging eye, and
> within the 30 minute ride to the emergency vet clinic, it ruptured.
> The vet said the eye is gone and will have to come out when she is
> spayed/neutered (my mind isn't working right now, so forgive me).
>
> She also said the other eye is probably dead as well and the kitten is
> blind.
> And to add to the fun, she again, not defecated for 24hrs (though the
> vet says she is fine, and I believe it at this point).
>
> Apollo, one of our other cats, wants IN to the quarantine room. I
> think he hears her cries.
>
> Derek

Derek,

I have not been following this thread, but a friend forwarded this part of
your message to me because I have a remarkable blind cat, Duffy. I am so
sorry to hear about the problems your little kitty has had, but I did want
to write and tell you that a blind cat can live a completely healthy, happy
life. I called Duffy "remarkable," and he really is. He can do almost
anything a sighted cat can do -- and I really think he is able to do some
things that most cats can*not* do. He has been blind since birth, and I
suspect that helped him adapt so well to his environment. Although that is
not true of your kitten, she is so young that she will probably adjust
quickly.

Duffy was estimated to be 3-5 years old when I adopted him (3-1/2 years
ago), and I expected to make all sorts of accomodations for his blindness.
I soon learned that wasn't necessary. He learned to navigate in a very
short time. I do not need to be concerned about where furniture is
placed -- if I move a chair, I am likely to find him sitting on it within a
few minutes. It's almost as if he has radar! However, you should take
certain precautions since your kitten is newly blind. Keep all furniture in
one position to help her learn her way around. When you pick her up, be
sure to put her down in some place where she will not have any difficulty
with orientation -- for example, put her down right beside (in fact,
touching) a chair or sofa that she can use while she gets his bearings. In
fact, it might be a good idea to put her down in the *same* location each
time for awhile. That is not necessary with Duffy, but it is something you
should do until you are sure that your kitten can comfortably find her way
around.

I have had people say, "Oh, the poor thing" when they first learn that Duffy
is blind. Nothing could be further from the truth. He is a delightful,
happy little guy. He loves to play, and he especially likes to play with
toys where he can readily know where they are. For example, one of his
favorite toys is the round toy with a track around the outside and a ball
inside it with a corrugated cardboard center (for some reason, I can't
remember the name of it, but it is very inexpensive and is available at
WalMart and many other places), and he likes little balls made of crinkly
fabric that he can hear as it rolls. More than anything, he loves his cat
tree -- he swirls up and down and around the cat tree like a little gymnast.
I have a number of "climbing places" thoughout the house, and he gets up and
down faster than any other cat I have ever seen. He is very sure-footed and
is absolutely fearless. You can see a number of pictures of Duffy if you
look at the albums under my signature.

To sum up, please don't let your sadness over the loss of the kitten's sight
blind *you* to the myriad of possibilities for a very good life. The kitten
is so young that she will quickly learn to adapt, and she can have a happy
life. Please feel free to write to me by email if you have any questions.
The email address attached to this message is valid except that you have to
"take-out-the-litter" first.

Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

-L.
October 3rd 06, 12:49 PM
MaryL wrote:

> Derek,
>
> I have not been following this thread, but a friend forwarded this part of
> your message to me because I have a remarkable blind cat, Duffy.

Mary, please remind me again of Duffy's story - how did he end up in
the shelter? The difference in his shelter pic and the pics of him now
are remarkable. :) (As is almost always the case with kitties once they
have been in a loving home for awhile...:)

-L.

MaryL
October 3rd 06, 02:02 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> Derek,
>>
>> I have not been following this thread, but a friend forwarded this part
>> of
>> your message to me because I have a remarkable blind cat, Duffy.
>
> Mary, please remind me again of Duffy's story - how did he end up in
> the shelter? The difference in his shelter pic and the pics of him now
> are remarkable. :) (As is almost always the case with kitties once they
> have been in a loving home for awhile...:)
>
> -L.

Duffy had previously been adopted from the same shelter. The woman who
adopted him had him for two years, then returned him with an absolutely
ridiculous excuse. She said he was a "wonderful cat" (which he is!!), but
despite his blindness he had gotten to one of her birds and killed it -- and
"was teaching her sighted cat to get to the birds." How idiotic! Either
this woman didn't have enough sense to keep her birds in a safe location or
she was just trying to come up with an excuse for dumping Duffy. I think it
was the latter, but I simply can't comprehend how anyone could live with
such a delightful, special kitty and then return him to a shelter. It's a
kill shelter, too, and she undoubtedly knew that there was a very good
chance that he would be euthanized because it is difficult to place adult
cats and even more difficult to place special-needs adult cats.
Fortunately, the staff wanted to do everything they could to find another
home for him. Shelter policy is to keep a cat for at least 14 days before
euthanasia, but Duffy was in a cage at the shelter for several months. I
don't know if he looked like his original photo when the woman returned him
or if that is the result of being caged so long, or possibly both. They
told me at the shelter that he was desperate for attention but would not eat
very much. It was also very noisy there -- I could hear the constant sound
of dogs barking even while I sat in the waiting room playing with Duffy. I
had filled out the paperwork attached to their web site before I went there,
decided almost immediately that I wanted to adopt him, and gave them the
paperwork. They had several questions and approved me contingent on
reference checks (primarily my veterinarian). I was required to wait 3 days
before picking him up while my references were checked and their own vet
gave him a final examination and routine shots. I always hate it when I see
messages where people seem to look on cats as disposable objects, and I
especially can't understand how anyone would give up such a remarkable
little cat as Duffy. I'm actually glad I don't know who it was because I
don't know what I would say if I ever met her in person -- but I now look at
it as "her loss, my (and Duffy's) gain."

The shelter where I adopted him is about 35 miles from my home, and I got
lost both times!! I'm usually pretty good with directions, but that shelter
is almost "hidden." I heard them giving directions on the phone to several
people who phoned while I was there, so it appears that I am not the only
one who had problems.

Thanks for asking!

MaryL

Gail
October 3rd 06, 03:03 PM
I remember the lovely story of you adopting Duffy, Mary. You are a gem for
giving him a loving, wonderful home and I am sure he has rewarded you many
times over.
Gail
news:[email protected]

> [...]
> (primarily my veterinarian). I was required to wait 3 days before picking
> him up while my references were checked and their own vet gave him a final
> examination and routine shots. I always hate it when I see messages where
> people seem to look on cats as disposable objects, and I especially can't
> understand how anyone would give up such a remarkable little cat as Duffy.
> I'm actually glad I don't know who it was because I don't know what I
> would say if I ever met her in person -- but I now look at it as "her
> loss, my (and Duffy's) gain."
>
> The shelter where I adopted him is about 35 miles from my home, and I got
> lost both times!! I'm usually pretty good with directions, but that
> shelter is almost "hidden." I heard them giving directions on the phone
> to several people who phoned while I was there, so it appears that I am

MaryL
October 4th 06, 12:10 AM
"Gail" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>I remember the lovely story of you adopting Duffy, Mary. You are a gem for
>giving him a loving, wonderful home and I am sure he has rewarded you many
>times over.
> Gail

Thanks, Gail. You are correct that he has rewarded me many times over. In
many ways, I think I have reaped more benefits from this than he has. He is
such a loving, cheerful little guy -- I get warm feelings every time I look
at him, and he will often get in my lap and snuggle his chin against mine
while purring all the time. How much better can it get??

MaryL

Njwatcher
October 6th 06, 02:24 AM
Hiya. Had trip #9 today for Siren's eye swelling again (yes, she has a
name).
The vet says keep on medicating and that's it for now. He also said
she will be a big cat (big as in big, not fat (well, she can be fat,
but he was referring to "Big"; I asked).

Also in kitten news, she is using a make shift litter at this point,
though we still stimulate her until she produces more in the litter.
While she uses the litter, she sounds off (screams). I informed the
vet, and he said just watch and hopefully it ends when she is off the
bottle (this weekend's project).

Other news in cathood; as all cats must, she has decided she liked the
clean laundry pile next to her enclosure better than her own bed. I
was using shirts I have shrunk out of to keep her contained; she
decided they make a good nest.

That's all for now

Derek

-L.
October 6th 06, 05:25 AM
MaryL wrote:

> Thanks, Gail. You are correct that he has rewarded me many times over. In
> many ways, I think I have reaped more benefits from this than he has. He is
> such a loving, cheerful little guy -- I get warm feelings every time I look
> at him, and he will often get in my lap and snuggle his chin against mine
> while purring all the time. How much better can it get??
>
> MaryL

It can't get better than that!! Great story! Anyone who adopts an
adult cat is a gem in my book, a blind cat, even better. :)

-L.

MaryL
October 6th 06, 01:06 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Gail. You are correct that he has rewarded me many times over.
>> In
>> many ways, I think I have reaped more benefits from this than he has. He
>> is
>> such a loving, cheerful little guy -- I get warm feelings every time I
>> look
>> at him, and he will often get in my lap and snuggle his chin against mine
>> while purring all the time. How much better can it get??
>>
>> MaryL
>
> It can't get better than that!! Great story! Anyone who adopts an
> adult cat is a gem in my book, a blind cat, even better. :)
>
> -L.

Thanks! :o)

Gail
October 6th 06, 01:21 PM
Great news, Derek!! You are the best.
Gail
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hiya. Had trip #9 today for Siren's eye swelling again (yes, she has a
> name).
> The vet says keep on medicating and that's it for now. He also said
> she will be a big cat (big as in big, not fat (well, she can be fat,
> but he was referring to "Big"; I asked).
>
> Also in kitten news, she is using a make shift litter at this point,
> though we still stimulate her until she produces more in the litter.
> While she uses the litter, she sounds off (screams). I informed the
> vet, and he said just watch and hopefully it ends when she is off the
> bottle (this weekend's project).
>
> Other news in cathood; as all cats must, she has decided she liked the
> clean laundry pile next to her enclosure better than her own bed. I
> was using shirts I have shrunk out of to keep her contained; she
> decided they make a good nest.
>
> That's all for now
>
> Derek

Wendy
October 6th 06, 02:13 PM
"Njwatcher" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hiya. Had trip #9 today for Siren's eye swelling again (yes, she has a
> name).
> The vet says keep on medicating and that's it for now. He also said
> she will be a big cat (big as in big, not fat (well, she can be fat,
> but he was referring to "Big"; I asked).
>
> Also in kitten news, she is using a make shift litter at this point,
> though we still stimulate her until she produces more in the litter.
> While she uses the litter, she sounds off (screams). I informed the
> vet, and he said just watch and hopefully it ends when she is off the
> bottle (this weekend's project).
>
> Other news in cathood; as all cats must, she has decided she liked the
> clean laundry pile next to her enclosure better than her own bed. I
> was using shirts I have shrunk out of to keep her contained; she
> decided they make a good nest.
>
> That's all for now
>
> Derek

Ah, your potty duty is just about over!

Once you get her on wet food you may want to try mixing some lysine in with
it. If she has a herpes infection going on that might help.

I've had a couple of foster's who 'sang' in the litter box. My own cat,
Boots, who I had bottle fed did that for a year or so every time he was
pooping. He finally has stopped now. I have no clue what that was all about
because he's never been constipated or anything.

Rhonda
October 7th 06, 06:44 AM
Awwww, that is so cute! She's feeling good and getting comfy.

I'm happy she's still doing so well. Good luck with the weaning!

Rhonda