PDA

View Full Version : indoor cats & flea's??

ensoul
September 23rd 06, 04:40 PM
How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.

There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
They are both long hair cats, too.

So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL

And our flea collars enough?

ensoul

Niel Humphreys
September 23rd 06, 05:12 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
> outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
> Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
> floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
>
> There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
> pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
> around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
> brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
> They are both long hair cats, too.
>
> So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's?

On people's clothes/shoes.

> And our flea collars enough?

Nope you need to treat with proper flea treatment from your vet.

Niel H

MaryL
September 23rd 06, 05:18 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
> outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
> Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
> floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
>
> There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
> pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
> around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
> brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
> They are both long hair cats, too.
>
> So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
> flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
> ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL
>
> And our flea collars enough?
>
> ensoul

Fleas can be transported on your clothing, especially shoes (or brought in
by friends who have pets with fleas).

Please don't use flea collars. They can be hazardous to your cats' health.
Instead, pick up some flea treatment (*if needed*) from your vet --
Advantage, for example. Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
detected a problem).

MaryL

Rhonda
September 23rd 06, 05:58 PM
ensoul wrote:
> How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
> outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
> Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
> floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
>
> There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
> pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
> around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
> brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
> They are both long hair cats, too.
>
> So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
> flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
> ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL
>
> And our flea collars enough?

Flea collars emit a continuous poison -- they are not a good idea for
cats. Long ago that's about all there was, but now there are much easier
and safer things. We've used Advantage from the vet, just one drop on
their shoulder blades.

If you have people taking pets outside on leashes, they could be picking
up fleas. Fleas also ride in on people's clothing.

Good luck,

Rhonda

ensoul
September 23rd 06, 06:01 PM

> Please don't use flea collars. They can be hazardous to your cats' health.
> Instead, pick up some flea treatment (*if needed*) from your vet --
> Advantage, for example. Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
> be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
> detected a problem).
>
> MaryL

I used flea collars in the way past before they stuff like advanatage,
Peabody couldn't handle it burned her skin so I got the type that a tag
hanging down, the collar it's was just a plain plastic collar...I check
dailey for any burns....they are going to the vet I just thought I
could get a head start on the problem...cost is major factos now since
my husband died my income has dropped by 3/4.....I'm trying to borrow
money for it

ensoul

and TY all for the info

The Polish-Kraut
September 23rd 06, 06:48 PM
>> How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
>> outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
>> Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
>> floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
>>
>> There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
>> pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
>> around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
>> brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
>> They are both long hair cats, too.
>>
>> So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's?
>
>On people's clothes/shoes.
>
>> And our flea collars enough?
>
>Nope you need to treat with proper flea treatment from your vet.

One thing that I found over the years is that IMHO flea collars are
aout useless. I use topical flea treat such as Advantage.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

September 24th 06, 01:28 AM
In article >,
says...
> "ensoul" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
> > outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
> > Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
> > floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
> >
> > There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
> > pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
> > around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
> > brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
> > They are both long hair cats, too.
> >
> > So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's?
>
> On people's clothes/shoes.

Or from critters that cats tend to track and play with.

> > And our flea collars enough?
>
> Nope you need to treat with proper flea treatment from your vet.

I have two cats, both of whom are mousers. Emily was pulling out patches
of her fur so the vet thought it might be fleas until I mentioned that
Randy didn't have em'.

It turns out that Frontline Advantage is also useful for cats that pull
fur because of allergies, which my little Emily has. They're just
dreadfully expensive.

Niel Humphreys
September 24th 06, 02:03 AM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> "ensoul" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
>> > outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
>> > Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
>> > floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
>> >
>> > There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
>> > pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
>> > around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
>> > brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
>> > They are both long hair cats, too.
>> >
>> > So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's?
>>
>> On people's clothes/shoes.
>
> Or from critters that cats tend to track and play with.

With all due respect that's unlikely other than a sort term thing. Fleas
species are specific to the animal's blood they drink, Human fleas won't
drink cat's blood and nor will mouse etc fleas. The only fleas that will eat
cats' blood are cat fleas.
--

Niel H

..

dgk
September 25th 06, 01:34 PM
>Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
>be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
>detected a problem).
>
>MaryL

I thought they should be used for prevention. I hardly overuse it,
generally I give one dose in early July and that's about it. The boys
only go in the backyard, but I know it's possible for them to get
fleas there even though it's pretty well sealed off from other
critters. Squirrels certainly are all around.

I once had fleas in my apartment and it was a major mess getting rid
of them. I'd have to burn down the house.

MaryL
September 25th 06, 11:39 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

>>Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
>>be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
>>detected a problem).
>>
>>MaryL
>>

> I thought they should be used for prevention. I hardly overuse it,
> generally I give one dose in early July and that's about it. The boys
> only go in the backyard, but I know it's possible for them to get
> fleas there even though it's pretty well sealed off from other
> critters. Squirrels certainly are all around.
>
> I once had fleas in my apartment and it was a major mess getting rid
> of them. I'd have to burn down the house.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. I just meant that I would not like
to see anyone use *any* of these flea products on a routine basis unless
there was an actual need -- it's just not good to overmedicate, but once a
year (such as you described) doesn't sound harmful to me. On the other
hand, I also do not have a background in medicine.

MaryL

dgk
September 26th 06, 02:08 PM
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:39:58 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need to
>>>be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
>>>detected a problem).
>>>
>>>MaryL
>>>

>> I thought they should be used for prevention. I hardly overuse it,
>> generally I give one dose in early July and that's about it. The boys
>> only go in the backyard, but I know it's possible for them to get
>> fleas there even though it's pretty well sealed off from other
>> critters. Squirrels certainly are all around.
>>
>> I once had fleas in my apartment and it was a major mess getting rid
>> of them. I'd have to burn down the house.
>
>I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. I just meant that I would not like
>to see anyone use *any* of these flea products on a routine basis unless
>there was an actual need -- it's just not good to overmedicate, but once a
>year (such as you described) doesn't sound harmful to me. On the other
>hand, I also do not have a background in medicine.

The whole concept of Advantage, etc, scares me a bit. You put it on
their skin, it seeps into their little bodies, and somehow protects
them for a month or more. Very odd. But it's been in use for a while
now and no apparent problems, so that seems good. And, I might add, no
fleas.

meeee
September 26th 06, 02:48 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Please don't use flea collars. They can be hazardous to your cats'
>> health.
>> Instead, pick up some flea treatment (*if needed*) from your vet --
>> Advantage, for example. Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution only need
>> be applied once a month if you have fleas (and not at all if you have not
>> detected a problem).
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I used flea collars in the way past before they stuff like advanatage,
> Peabody couldn't handle it burned her skin so I got the type that a tag
> hanging down, the collar it's was just a plain plastic collar...I check
> dailey for any burns....they are going to the vet I just thought I
> could get a head start on the problem...cost is major factos now since
> my husband died my income has dropped by 3/4.....I'm trying to borrow
> money for it
>
> ensoul
>
> and TY all for the info

I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but here in Australia I can
purchase Revolution, Advantage etc online for 1/2 the vet's price; I
wouldn't be able to afford it for my 6 otherwise. I pay $25 +$5 p&h for a 3
pack of cat revolution. Vet price $45. That's aussie dollars, and I think
the company I use ships worldwide. Give it a go.
www.vetproductsdirect.com.au

Deeanna
September 26th 06, 04:35 PM
Hi Ensoul!
I had three indoor only cats when I lived in Hawaii and they and my
apartment were almost overrun by fleas. It was because I brought them
in. Not only did I have them, but they were spreading to other
apartments as well, thanks to me.

I finally got Frontline Plus from my vet and my flea problem stopped.
She also gave me a spray for my carpet and it worked miracles. Not
only did it get rid of the fleas, but they never came back.
Unfortunatley, I do not remember the name of the spray. I do know that
the stuff that is sold at pet stores did not work when I used them.

I now live in Florida, also a flea problem area, and all seven of my
cats are still indoors but they go out to the pool area whenever they
want. I applied Frontline Plus to all of them back in March and still
no fleas. I apparently don't have any fleas in my yard either, thank
goodness. I haven't seen any at least.

The one time I used flea collars, they did not work and they only
aggravated my cats so I never used them again. Also, I would be
extremely cautious of using any Hartz products. A few months ago,
there was an article in Cat Fancy about the Hartz flea stuff for cats
was killing cats. It was the stuff that you apply on the back between
the shoulder blades. Hartz pulled it from the shelves, but they are
still selling flea collars.

I have never had any luck with over-the-counter pet products, so I
stopped wasting my money. I know it is more expensive to use the
products sold by a vet, but in the long run I think you spend less
money at the vet because you will not have to buy as much as you do of
the over-the-counter products. They are not cheap, either.

I swear by Frontline Plus. I did not apply it every month as suggested
because I do not want to over medicate my cats. So, I just watch them
and at the first sight of a flea, I'll give all seven of them a dose.
Deeanna

ensoul wrote:
> How does that happen? The housing Mangment here doesn't allow pets
> outside unless on leash, I never bothered doing that. I don't eve aloow
> Moe & Rudy out on my balconey, I know they'd jump off (I'm on the 2nd
> floor). They about a year & half old, neutered.
>
> There is big flea problem in my area, anybody I know that has outdoor
> pets are having major problems with flea's, you can see them jumping
> around! Not that bad here, I did get get them both flea collor's,
> brand name one's, try to get a head start before they get to the vet.
> They are both long hair cats, too.
>
> So how the heck do indoor cats get flea's? I haven't had to deal with
> flea's, my last cat was immune to them, Sam went outdoors and never,
> ever had flea's, maybe it's karma, LOL
>
> And our flea collars enough?
>
> ensoul

Lynne
September 27th 06, 01:32 PM
Niel Humphreys wrote:

> With all due respect that's unlikely other than a sort term thing. Fleas
> species are specific to the animal's blood they drink, Human fleas won't
> drink cat's blood and nor will mouse etc fleas. The only fleas that will eat
> cats' blood are cat fleas.
> --
>
> Niel H

This is not necessarily true. See
http://www.insectresearch.com/ps_fleas.htm

"Fleas are not generally host specific. The cat flea, Ctenocephalides
felis, can be found on a wide range of hosts from cats and dogs,
through to camels and cattle. They are not adverse to biting humans and
will happily live in association with them. There is, however, a human
flea, Pulex irritans, which is quite rare and can also be found on a
variety of hosts including badgers, pigs and foxes. Fleas can be found
in the fur, feathers or sleeping areas of their hosts depending on the
host's activity. In the home the cat flea is commonly found on both the
cat, its bedding, or favourite area to lay in."

We had a flea problem years ago and the little suckers had no
hesitation to bite me. Alot!

Deeanna
September 28th 06, 04:27 AM
Hello All!
As a follow up to my post about Hartz products, please have a look at
the following link:

http://www.geocities.com/againsthartz/

It explains what the Hartz products have done to cats. I was never a
big fan of Hartz products anyway because they never worked and I found
them to be a waste of money. But, these recent incidents have
convinced me to never buy another Hartz product again.

Deeanna