PDA

View Full Version : the runs

amz via CatKB.com
September 24th 06, 10:30 AM
i recently got a kitten the first cat i have ever had it has the runs and it
just does it every where it dosent even no that its doing it it just dribbles
out of him his bum is also red with to blisters on it and it somtimes bleeds
we have taken him to the vets but he has just given us some antibiotics and
its not helping i cant even lift him up now without getting coverd in poo
please help xx

Wendy
September 24th 06, 11:56 AM
Call the vet back and tell him you've seen no improvement. Did you have a
fecal test done? That might tell you what your dealing with, whether it's
coccidia, giardia, worms or who knows what.

Until you get this resolved, I'd put the kitten in a bathroom (somewhere
easily cleaned up) with his food, water and litter box. Clean up after him
with bleach and water to make sure anything he might be passing in his stool
isn't just re-infecting him. Scoop the box frequently if he's using it for
the same reason. You might also get some nupercanal ointment or preparation
H to put on his bum to soothe it so that it doesn't hurt as much and to
protect some from the constant exposure to the diarrhea. Try to keep as much
of the poop off the kitty as practical to avoid skin burns.

You might try feeding the kitten some plain yogurt - only about a teaspoon
full or so before a meal. If it's a bacterial imbalance in the bowel, that
can help.

"amz via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>i recently got a kitten the first cat i have ever had it has the runs and
>it
> just does it every where it dosent even no that its doing it it just
> dribbles
> out of him his bum is also red with to blisters on it and it somtimes
> bleeds
> we have taken him to the vets but he has just given us some antibiotics
> and
> its not helping i cant even lift him up now without getting coverd in poo
> please help xx

Rhonda
September 24th 06, 05:30 PM
Sounds like he still needs help from the vet. You might try another
vet's opinion if you don't feel this one will be able to help with the
problem.

Kitties can get dehydrated pretty quickly. Pull the skin up gently on
his scruff into a little tent, then let it drop. It should snap back to
his body very quickly. If it remains in a tent and moves down very
slowly, he is dehydrated. If that's the case -- I would take him into a
vet today, even if it's an emergency vet, and make sure they give him
some sub-cu fluids.

Wendy already asked, but did they check a stool sample? Has your kitten
already been wormed? Also, did they take his temperature? It could be
lots of things, other than worms, it could be a problem with the food or
even distemper. What has he been eating?

Hope you can get help for him and find the problem,

Rhonda