PDA

View Full Version : Food preference

mdsu
September 25th 06, 12:00 AM
I'm about to bring two shelter cats home on Tuesday. They are both 1
year old. I asked my vet, but she didn't express a preference. She
indicated that Eukanuba, Purina One, Iams, Science Diet, and Nature's
Choice are all good foods. Any advice would be appreciated. My former
cat Al was on prescription food for as long as I can remember. So I'm
out of the loop so to speak, as far as buying "regular" cat food is
concerned.

Thanks,
Rich

September 25th 06, 02:57 AM
Its my personal preference to stay away from IAMs because of the
testing they did to develope their patent cat food...one of my service
cats (they happen to be ADA) use to have to eat Hill's sensitive
stomach..but Friskies seems to be about the same thing not Purina 1
because that sometimes constipates certain cats if you get the wrong
kind and so does science diet if you don't feed oil occasionally with
it...its all a blancing act...Friskies has purina in little print...BTW
if your cat needed the easily digestable stuff my hypothesis is its
reallu hairball formula <grin> wiith the friskies Special Diet is
thier name for urinary tract thouhgI feed regular...and I am not a vet
but thats just how I feel..<grin>-Kenda
mdsu wrote:
> I'm about to bring two shelter cats home on Tuesday. They are both 1
> year old. I asked my vet, but she didn't express a preference. She
> indicated that Eukanuba, Purina One, Iams, Science Diet, and Nature's
> Choice are all good foods. Any advice would be appreciated. My former
> cat Al was on prescription food for as long as I can remember. So I'm
> out of the loop so to speak, as far as buying "regular" cat food is
> concerned.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

September 25th 06, 02:58 AM
mdsu wrote:
> I'm about to bring two shelter cats home on Tuesday. They are both 1
> year old. I asked my vet, but she didn't express a preference. She
> indicated that Eukanuba, Purina One, Iams, Science Diet, and Nature's
> Choice are all good foods. Any advice would be appreciated. My former
> cat Al was on prescription food for as long as I can remember. So I'm
> out of the loop so to speak, as far as buying "regular" cat food is
> concerned.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Judy
September 25th 06, 04:35 AM
"mdsu" > wrote in message
> I'm about to bring two shelter cats home on Tuesday. They are both 1 year
> old. I asked my vet, but she didn't express a preference. She indicated
> that Eukanuba, Purina One, Iams, Science Diet, and Nature's Choice are all
> good foods. Any advice would be appreciated. My former cat Al was on
> prescription food for as long as I can remember. So I'm out of the loop so
> to speak, as far as buying "regular" cat food is concerned.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

All of the foods your vet indicated are just fine. Now when it comes to the
decision, your new buddies will be the ones to make this one.

Matilda has been with me for 5 years and during this time, she's made a few
decisions that have resulted in changing brands. Like us humans, cats don't
always enjoy eating the same thing forever. :c)

Best wishes.

Judy

Rhonda
September 25th 06, 05:19 AM
I think vet's are pretty careful about endorsing a particular food. I
even tried "what do your cats eat?" She gave me a range of names too,
when I told her we were trying California Natural, she told me good
choice! We've been happy with that and that cats like it. We get our
food at a natural pet food store, one that has Wellness and the like.

Rhonda