PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Heating Pad?

RobZip
September 26th 06, 03:15 AM
Winter is approaching all too quickly. My outdoor tribe has collected new
members. The enclosed hootch I've built for shelter is plywood construction,
open cell foam insulation under floor, inside roof, and inside walls. It is
wrapped in Tyvek, shingled and has vinyl siding over the Tyvek. It measures
roughly 30" square by 18" high. Entry is through a 6 inch square opening
located about 6 inches up from ground level with a wind break extending over
top and one side of opening exposed to direction of prevailing winds.

I was thinking of an electric heating pad for comfort. Temperatures here in
extreme of winter will get to -15 degrees or so for periods of a few days to
a few weeks, usually January through early February. Are any of you familiar
with a source for electric heat pads/blankets that would be suitable for
cats? I've looked at some regular retail stuff intended primarily for indoor
human use. The big drawback even if weatherproof qualities were okay is that
most seem to be equipped with a 2 hour shutoff function. This will be
connected to an outdoor outlet that is switched on the inside of the house.
Something possibly thermostat regulated?

Gail
September 26th 06, 10:16 AM
I love the Snuggle Safe pads. You microwave them for about 6 minutes and
place them (with insulation above and below) in a box for the cats. YOu can
find them on line. Just google them.
Gail
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
> Winter is approaching all too quickly. My outdoor tribe has collected new
> members. The enclosed hootch I've built for shelter is plywood
> construction, open cell foam insulation under floor, inside roof, and
> inside walls. It is wrapped in Tyvek, shingled and has vinyl siding over
> the Tyvek. It measures roughly 30" square by 18" high. Entry is through a
> 6 inch square opening located about 6 inches up from ground level with a
> wind break extending over top and one side of opening exposed to direction
> of prevailing winds.
>
> I was thinking of an electric heating pad for comfort. Temperatures here
> in extreme of winter will get to -15 degrees or so for periods of a few
> days to a few weeks, usually January through early February. Are any of
> you familiar with a source for electric heat pads/blankets that would be
> suitable for cats? I've looked at some regular retail stuff intended
> primarily for indoor human use. The big drawback even if weatherproof
> qualities were okay is that most seem to be equipped with a 2 hour shutoff
> function. This will be connected to an outdoor outlet that is switched on
> the inside of the house. Something possibly thermostat regulated?

Michael Lane
September 26th 06, 01:57 PM
no time wrote:

>Winter is approaching all too quickly. My
> outdoor tribe has collected new
> members. The enclosed hootch I've built
> for shelter is

I have two pads that run off electricy. Cats camp out on them, especally
when real cold. Woke up last Dec., temp was 16 degrees & had a new cat.
A big white cat was sound asleep on one of the pads. Fed her & she is
still here. Found out people had moved & did not take her with them.
Named her Snowflake. They work fine so far.

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

Debra Berry
September 26th 06, 04:35 PM
How about this (see link). It is a "kennel heated pad."

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_9847_PC_productlist_Nav_177_N_22+1 09_cp_2_Nao_12_sku_603953_familyID_14662.aspx

Debbie

RobZip wrote:

> Winter is approaching all too quickly. My outdoor tribe has collected new
> members. The enclosed hootch I've built for shelter is plywood construction,
> open cell foam insulation under floor, inside roof, and inside walls. It is
> wrapped in Tyvek, shingled and has vinyl siding over the Tyvek. It measures
> roughly 30" square by 18" high. Entry is through a 6 inch square opening
> located about 6 inches up from ground level with a wind break extending over
> top and one side of opening exposed to direction of prevailing winds.
>
> I was thinking of an electric heating pad for comfort. Temperatures here in
> extreme of winter will get to -15 degrees or so for periods of a few days to
> a few weeks, usually January through early February. Are any of you familiar
> with a source for electric heat pads/blankets that would be suitable for
> cats? I've looked at some regular retail stuff intended primarily for indoor
> human use. The big drawback even if weatherproof qualities were okay is that
> most seem to be equipped with a 2 hour shutoff function. This will be
> connected to an outdoor outlet that is switched on the inside of the house.
> Something possibly thermostat regulated?

Debra Berry
September 26th 06, 04:39 PM
Here are larger ones:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=8869&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=heated+pad&sku=603970&familyID=4330&

Debbie

RobZip wrote:

> Winter is approaching all too quickly. My outdoor tribe has collected new
> members. The enclosed hootch I've built for shelter is plywood construction,
> open cell foam insulation under floor, inside roof, and inside walls. It is
> wrapped in Tyvek, shingled and has vinyl siding over the Tyvek. It measures
> roughly 30" square by 18" high. Entry is through a 6 inch square opening
> located about 6 inches up from ground level with a wind break extending over
> top and one side of opening exposed to direction of prevailing winds.
>
> I was thinking of an electric heating pad for comfort. Temperatures here in
> extreme of winter will get to -15 degrees or so for periods of a few days to
> a few weeks, usually January through early February. Are any of you familiar
> with a source for electric heat pads/blankets that would be suitable for
> cats? I've looked at some regular retail stuff intended primarily for indoor
> human use. The big drawback even if weatherproof qualities were okay is that
> most seem to be equipped with a 2 hour shutoff function. This will be
> connected to an outdoor outlet that is switched on the inside of the house.
> Something possibly thermostat regulated?

Spot
September 27th 06, 01:24 AM
I recall someone expaining that they had built a box with a gratted floor
and under the floor they had put in coiled heat tape. This way it wasn't
incontact with the pets. I don't know how much heat a heat tape would
really put out. I would be more inclined to go with a light bulb like
below.

I used to work with a guy who had put a 100 watt bulb in the top of his dog
house with a reflector to shoot the heat down to the dog. It depends on how
cold it gets on the wattage you want to use. He had wire mesh between the
top of the box and the lamp so the dog couldn't get to the bulb and he put
the wiring in metal conduit from the outside of the box up the tree where it
then ran across the tree tops to a plug where he could plug the light in.
My neighbor did something similar on his back porch with a stray cat one
winter until he could get him properly introduced into the house. He wasn't
cold at all.

Celeste

"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
> Winter is approaching all too quickly. My outdoor tribe has collected new
> members. The enclosed hootch I've built for shelter is plywood
> construction, open cell foam insulation under floor, inside roof, and
> inside walls. It is wrapped in Tyvek, shingled and has vinyl siding over
> the Tyvek. It measures roughly 30" square by 18" high. Entry is through a
> 6 inch square opening located about 6 inches up from ground level with a
> wind break extending over top and one side of opening exposed to direction
> of prevailing winds.
>
> I was thinking of an electric heating pad for comfort. Temperatures here
> in extreme of winter will get to -15 degrees or so for periods of a few
> days to a few weeks, usually January through early February. Are any of
> you familiar with a source for electric heat pads/blankets that would be
> suitable for cats? I've looked at some regular retail stuff intended
> primarily for indoor human use. The big drawback even if weatherproof
> qualities were okay is that most seem to be equipped with a 2 hour shutoff
> function. This will be connected to an outdoor outlet that is switched on
> the inside of the house. Something possibly thermostat regulated?

chili palmer
September 27th 06, 05:43 AM
RobZip wrote:

> Something possibly thermostat regulated?

I don't know about thermostats for a cat hooch

but where i come from, hooch is usually something with at least 80
proof on the bottle.

Why not just put them a hot bowl of soup out and spike it with some rum

that will knock the chill off

keep it in a crock pot under the porch (run an extension chord) just
keep the broth and rum coming.. if it starts getting low.. just top it
off

RobZip
September 27th 06, 12:58 PM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I recall someone expaining that they had built a box with a gratted floor
>and under the floor they had put in coiled heat tape. This way it wasn't
>incontact with the pets. I don't know how much heat a heat tape would
>really put out. I would be more inclined to go with a light bulb like
>below.

Most plumbiung heat tapes put out a minimal amount of heat. They also don't
turn on until temperature is below 38 degrees.

---MIKE---
September 27th 06, 03:08 PM
I have a generator enclosed in a wood box on my deck. I keep a light
bulb burning in the box to help reduce humidity. I also have a sensor
for a remote thermometer in the box. The temperature in the box usually
runs about 10F above the outside temperature. The box is not
insulated but is enclosed so wind can't affect the temperature.

---MIKE---