PDA

View Full Version : my cat's young kittens, afraid of people

September 26th 06, 02:42 PM
My cat had kittens. I kept the basment door closed so that she would
not have them down there. After a week or two she managed to get them
down there somehow. Well I made the mistake of leaving them down
there, and would go down there several times a day to play with them
and cuddle them. I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old I didn't want
hurting them. These kittens have been handled everyday a little bit
since not long after they were born. They never warmed to me. They
would run when i went down there but slowly come out if i sat down,
staying away from my hands.

I moved them upstairs into my dining room and put up a baby gate to
keep them in there, at least until they can climb it. They are afraid
of people still. I let me kids in there to play at the table and they
go after the kittens a bit. They are getting old enough now that I
cannot get a hold of them often to "cuddle" them. I fI hold them, they
don't bite and scratch, they just siot there looking scared.

Do you think there is hope here? Can I ever get these kittens to like
people a little more? I thought I was doing the right things spending
time with them every day but I am afraid I made a huge mistake.

chili palmer
September 27th 06, 05:53 AM
wrote:

> Do you think there is hope here? Can I ever get these kittens to like
> people a little more? I thought I was doing the right things spending
> time with them every day but I am afraid I made a huge mistake.

Of course handling them is the right thing
how else will they get used to people.

They'll come around, don't give up.

Soon as they learn who brings home the bacon, you will be their best
friend!

but for now, they like that ninny... you can't compete with that

my kitten was very shy at first, but being that cats are social
creatures, just leave them to make their own choices, you will soon be
smothered by playful kittens

little snack don't hurt either
when you do get your hands on one, snuggle them up to you real good,
maybe sometimes palming their whole head.. this will remind them of the
days being huddled up under their mom while they fed.. they like that
(especially picking them up 3 -5 feet off the floor).. you want them to
feel physically secure from falling