PDA

View Full Version : Idiot neighbour....

meeee
September 29th 06, 10:30 PM
One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and explaining
how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and smack this
idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you tosser, you let
it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and expected everyone else to
look out for it. Even though you didn't have the responsibility of a normal
pet owner and look out for it, everyone else has to. I have a smaller house
than them, seven cats, and it is not trouble to keep them indoors. Everyone
knows there are heaps of dogs around here, who occasionally get out, or are
being walked and might pull away from their owner to chase your cat. And
idiots who will hurt your cat, and cars that will kill it and yet people
think they have a 'right' to let their cat wander, and the rest of the world
has to look after it. Some people are stupid.

Lesley
September 29th 06, 11:12 PM
meeee wrote:
> One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
> house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and explaining
> how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and smack this
> idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you tosser, you let
> it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and expected everyone else to
> look out for it.

Be a little fair- when I was a kid everyone knew cats went out at night
I mean listen to the end of the Flintstone's cartoons, our first cat
was indoor/outdoor we only got him because we had a garden. When we
moved to our current flat we deprived ourself of being good slaves,
which of course is our natural status because people told us that it
was "Cruel" to keep cats inside all the time.....

Then we looked it up and decided it might work and that was a few years
ago and we still had our doubts but it happened a friend's cat had had
kittens and two tabby queens needed a home....We still had doubts
because everyone told us "Cats need to go out".....I don't think our
beloved Fugazi and Isis (Both RB) could have had a better life and I
don't think the current residents could have a better one either (Even
through at the moment they are having a fight over who gets to sit on
the catnip scented posts- these two will only use a certain post made
in the US and we're in the UK and I just paid an exorbitant price to
get some over here- spoilt? Not at all!)

Go round, talk to them, be nice maybe this is the shock they need and
persuade them to keep their cats indoors

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

meeee
September 29th 06, 11:30 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> meeee wrote:
>> One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
>> house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and
>> explaining
>> how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and smack this
>> idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you tosser, you
>> let
>> it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and expected everyone else
>> look out for it.
>
> Be a little fair- when I was a kid everyone knew cats went out at night
> I mean listen to the end of the Flintstone's cartoons, our first cat
> was indoor/outdoor we only got him because we had a garden. When we
> moved to our current flat we deprived ourself of being good slaves,
> which of course is our natural status because people told us that it
> was "Cruel" to keep cats inside all the time.....
>
> Then we looked it up and decided it might work and that was a few years
> ago and we still had our doubts but it happened a friend's cat had had
> kittens and two tabby queens needed a home....We still had doubts
> because everyone told us "Cats need to go out".....I don't think our
> beloved Fugazi and Isis (Both RB) could have had a better life and I
> don't think the current residents could have a better one either (Even
> through at the moment they are having a fight over who gets to sit on
> the catnip scented posts- these two will only use a certain post made
> in the US and we're in the UK and I just paid an exorbitant price to
> get some over here- spoilt? Not at all!)
>
> Go round, talk to them, be nice maybe this is the shock they need and
> persuade them to keep their cats indoors
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I know I'm being a bit harsh...venting I suppose. Yes, I understand, as I
used to have my cats outside, as where I grew up (rural australia), there
was no education on keeping cats inside vs outside, but the Council of the
city I live in has a lot of education about responsible pet ownership
happening constantly; it's in the papers, on the radio etc. It's not them
having the cat outside, it's them blaming others. That's what worries me.
They are not taking responsibilty for what happened, ie. I chose to let my
cat wander, so therefore it is my responsibilty if something happens to my
much loved pet. They are putting signs up blaming dog-owners. Most of the
dog owners around here are very responsible, whereas the cat owners let
their cats wander continually. I would like to talk to them about it, but am
not sure, as they would probably resent a perfect stranger approaching them;
people can be a bit funny about it here. It's just frustrating as from the
signs, I think they will do the same with their next cat....let it wander
then get all outraged at car drivers when a car hits it. That worries me.

MaryL
September 30th 06, 12:38 PM
"meeee" > wrote in message

> [...]
> happening constantly; it's in the papers, on the radio etc. It's not them
> having the cat outside, it's them blaming others. That's what worries me.
> They are not taking responsibilty for what happened, ie. I chose to let my
> cat wander, so therefore it is my responsibilty if something happens to my
> much loved pet. They are putting signs up blaming dog-owners. Most of the
> dog owners around here are very responsible, whereas the cat owners let
> their cats wander continually. I would like to talk to them about it, but
> am not sure, as they would probably resent a perfect stranger approaching
> them; people can be a bit funny about it here. It's just frustrating as
> from the signs, I think they will do the same with their next cat....let
> it wander then get all outraged at car drivers when a car hits it. That

Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
their dogs wander off their own premises.

MaryL

Lesley
September 30th 06, 01:14 PM
MaryL wrote:

> Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
> letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
> their dogs wander off their own premises.

And don't get me started on idiot dog owners who seem to expect dogs to
chase cats. I have no idea where that particular urban myth started
from- in the wild, cats are not prey animals for dogs but I've seen
people urging their dog to chase a cat because "That's what dogs do".
Dogs aren't too bright that way and if their owner encourages them to
do it, they will do it to please their owner

I've had at least a couple of arguments with people what do that-not
recently through so I hope it's dying a well deserved death

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

September 30th 06, 05:41 PM
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:38:04 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"meeee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Lesley" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Be a little fair- when I was a kid everyone knew cats went out at night
>>> I mean listen to the end of the Flintstone's cartoons, our first cat
>>> was indoor/outdoor we only got him because we had a garden. When we
>>> moved to our current flat we deprived ourself of being good slaves,
>>> which of course is our natural status because people told us that it
>>> was "Cruel" to keep cats inside all the time.....
>>>
>>> Then we looked it up and decided it might work and that was a few years
>>> ago and we still had our doubts but it happened a friend's cat had had
>>> kittens and two tabby queens needed a home....We still had doubts
>>> because everyone told us "Cats need to go out".....I don't think our
>>> beloved Fugazi and Isis (Both RB) could have had a better life and I
>>> don't think the current residents could have a better one either (Even
>>> through at the moment they are having a fight over who gets to sit on
>>> the catnip scented posts- these two will only use a certain post made
>>> in the US and we're in the UK and I just paid an exorbitant price to
>>> get some over here- spoilt? Not at all!)
>>>
>>> Go round, talk to them, be nice maybe this is the shock they need and
>>> persuade them to keep their cats indoors
>>>
>>> Lesley
>>>
>>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>>>

>> I know I'm being a bit harsh...venting I suppose. Yes, I understand, as I
>> used to have my cats outside, as where I grew up (rural australia), there
>> was no education on keeping cats inside vs outside, but the Council of the
>> city I live in has a lot of education about responsible pet ownership
>> happening constantly; it's in the papers, on the radio etc. It's not them
>> having the cat outside, it's them blaming others. That's what worries me.
>> They are not taking responsibilty for what happened, ie. I chose to let my
>> cat wander, so therefore it is my responsibilty if something happens to my
>> much loved pet. They are putting signs up blaming dog-owners. Most of the
>> dog owners around here are very responsible, whereas the cat owners let
>> their cats wander continually. I would like to talk to them about it, but
>> am not sure, as they would probably resent a perfect stranger approaching
>> them; people can be a bit funny about it here. It's just frustrating as
>> from the signs, I think they will do the same with their next cat....let
>> it wander then get all outraged at car drivers when a car hits it. That
>> worries me.
>>

>Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
>letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
>their dogs wander off their own premises.

Possibly. We don't know, based on the original post, where the cat
was killed. It could have wandered into a dog's yard, in which case
the fault is entirely on the cat's owner.

Rebecca

Alison
September 30th 06, 07:31 PM
"meeee" > wrote in message

> One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
> house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and
> explaining how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and
> smack this idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you
> tosser, you let it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and
> expected everyone else to look out for it. Even though you didn't have
> the responsibility of a normal pet owner and look out for it, everyone
> else has to. I have a smaller house than them, seven cats, and it is not
> trouble to keep them indoors. Everyone knows there are heaps of dogs
> around here, who occasionally get out, or are being walked and might pull
> away from their owner to chase your cat. And idiots who will hurt your
> cat, and cars that will kill it and yet people think they have a 'right'
> to let their cat wander, and the rest of the world has to look after it.
> Some people are stupid. >>>

So what if those dogs maul another dog or a child or causes a car to crash
? It's the other dogs, childs, cars fault? I dont think so.
What if someone wants to leash walk their cat or let it sit in their front
garden?
Alison

Lynne
September 30th 06, 09:22 PM
Lesley wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
>

> > Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
> > letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
> > their dogs wander off their own premises.
>
> And don't get me started on idiot dog owners who seem to expect dogs to
> chase cats. I have no idea where that particular urban myth started
> from- in the wild, cats are not prey animals for dogs but I've seen
> people urging their dog to chase a cat because "That's what dogs do".
> Dogs aren't too bright that way and if their owner encourages them to
> do it, they will do it to please their owner
>
> I've had at least a couple of arguments with people what do that-not
> recently through so I hope it's dying a well deserved death
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I'm an idiot dog owner (as well as an idiot cat owner). If a cat runs,
a dog WILL chase it. Even dogs who live happily with cats. They may
not intend the cat harm, but dogs who are unfamiliar with cats could
easily mortally wound a kitty without malicious intent. (Dogs don't
really distinguish one small running animal from another, for example,
rabbits vs. cats.)

That said, I am a very strong believer in keeping dogs under owner
control at all times, either on a leash or contained by fencing. Since
so many people use invisible fencing in my neighborhood (I do not, I
have a physical barrier), I would be very concerned about letting my
cats out and having them wander into a yard with dogs who more likely
than not would risk a shock to keep chasing a cat beyond it's
electronic boundaries.

Back in college I let my 2 cats wander out of doors, but I lived in a
much different environment with a lot of farm land and no busy roads.
Residential neighborhoods are simply not safe for cats IMHO. In my
case, it's primarily because of the ignorant teenagers who speed on our
residential streets.

October 1st 06, 06:44 AM
On 30 Sep 2006 13:22:11 -0700, "Lynne" >
wrote:

>Back in college I let my 2 cats wander out of doors, but I lived in a
>much different environment with a lot of farm land and no busy roads.
>Residential neighborhoods are simply not safe for cats IMHO. In my
>case, it's primarily because of the ignorant teenagers who speed on our
>residential streets.

From what I've heard from people living in rural/farm areas, they
aren't very safe for wandering pets, either. Apparently many animals
get dumped out in those kinds of areas, and many farmers are more
likely to shoot and bury than you might think. Especially if the
strays are anywhere near their livestock.

Rebecca

-L.
October 1st 06, 06:56 AM
Alison wrote:

> So what if those dogs maul another dog or a child or causes a car to crash
> ?

A dog chasing and killing a cat is much different than a dog attacking
another dog or child. Dogs see cats as prey - they see other dogs as
invading their territory or as possible mates and many (most?) dogs who
would kill a cat wouldn't think twice about attacking a human. I can
guarantee that if my dog had the chance, she would kill our neighbor's
cats that are in our yard almost every day - sher has tried to catch
them many times and has come close on occassion. On the flip side, she
will growl and bark at other dogs who come into our yard, but has many
dog friends she gets along with well, at the local dog park. She also
adores children and would never, in a million years, bite one unless it
was by accident (say if the child fell on her or something). That
being said, I never allow any child around my dog (not even my own)
unsupervised because such accidents *can* happen.

> It's the other dogs, childs, cars fault? I dont think so.
> What if someone wants to leash walk their cat or let it sit in their front
> garden?

If one's cat is killed on one's own propery, it is the fault of the dog
owner. If the cat is killed elsewhere, it is the fault of the cat
owner.

-L.

Lynne
October 1st 06, 04:37 PM
wrote:

> From what I've heard from people living in rural/farm areas, they
> aren't very safe for wandering pets, either. Apparently many animals
> get dumped out in those kinds of areas, and many farmers are more
> likely to shoot and bury than you might think. Especially if the
> strays are anywhere near their livestock.
>
> Rebecca

I agree that even a rural environment is not safe for a beloved pet to
roam free. I was young and stupid back then.

We lived on a farm that our friends owned. One day my husband and our
roommate were mountain biking on *our* property, on a ridge. They had
both dogs with them. Someone shot and killed our roommate's dog, who
was following the last bike within about 50 feet. The person who did
it was likely illegally hunting. He also had to know it was a dog,
given there were 3 people and 2 dogs on the ridge, all very close
together. Still makes me sad and sick when I think about it.

We have friends who own a farm here who have puppies and kittens dumped
on them all the time. They neuter and keep some of the cats as barn
cats but all the pups go to the shelter. It's very frustrating for
them.

October 1st 06, 05:24 PM
On 1 Oct 2006 08:37:21 -0700, "Lynne" > wrote:

wrote:

>> From what I've heard from people living in rural/farm areas, they
>> aren't very safe for wandering pets, either. Apparently many animals
>> get dumped out in those kinds of areas, and many farmers are more
>> likely to shoot and bury than you might think. Especially if the
>> strays are anywhere near their livestock.
>>
>> Rebecca
>
>I agree that even a rural environment is not safe for a beloved pet to
>roam free. I was young and stupid back then.

It's ok. When I was young and stupid, we did the normal dog and cat
raising of opening the door in the morning and calling them in at
night. You live, you learn.

>We lived on a farm that our friends owned. One day my husband and our
>roommate were mountain biking on *our* property, on a ridge. They had
>both dogs with them. Someone shot and killed our roommate's dog, who
>was following the last bike within about 50 feet. The person who did
>it was likely illegally hunting. He also had to know it was a dog,
>given there were 3 people and 2 dogs on the ridge, all very close
>together. Still makes me sad and sick when I think about it.

When I lived in Oakland, there was a big uproar once in the newspaper.
There was a nice park that ran up against some farmland. Someone was
out hiking in the woods with their dog off leash, the dog went under
the fence while in sight of its owner, and the farmer shot and killed
it. People came down firmly into two camps: "It's your dog, keep it
under your control and off someone else's land or expect it to be shot
(which is perfectly legal under California law)" and "It was a family
pet, the owner was there, and he could have had the owner get the dog,
therefore he was just being a jerk by shooting someone's pet."

I have to admit, I fall more into the first group. I find it rather
distressing that so many people fail to take proper control of their
pets. And then they get upset when bad things happen to them.

Rebecca

MaryL
October 1st 06, 07:08 PM

wrote:

>>> From what I've heard from people living in rural/farm areas, they
>>> aren't very safe for wandering pets, either. Apparently many animals
>>> get dumped out in those kinds of areas, and many farmers are more
>>> likely to shoot and bury than you might think. Especially if the
>>> strays are anywhere near their livestock.
>>>
>>> Rebecca
>>
>>I agree that even a rural environment is not safe for a beloved pet to
>>roam free. I was young and stupid back then.
>>
> It's ok. When I was young and stupid, we did the normal dog and cat
> raising of opening the door in the morning and calling them in at
> night. You live, you learn.
>
>>We lived on a farm that our friends owned. One day my husband and our
>>roommate were mountain biking on *our* property, on a ridge. They had
>>both dogs with them. Someone shot and killed our roommate's dog, who
>>was following the last bike within about 50 feet. The person who did
>>it was likely illegally hunting. He also had to know it was a dog,
>>given there were 3 people and 2 dogs on the ridge, all very close
>>together. Still makes me sad and sick when I think about it.
>>
> When I lived in Oakland, there was a big uproar once in the newspaper.
> There was a nice park that ran up against some farmland. Someone was
> out hiking in the woods with their dog off leash, the dog went under
> the fence while in sight of its owner, and the farmer shot and killed
> it. People came down firmly into two camps: "It's your dog, keep it
> under your control and off someone else's land or expect it to be shot
> (which is perfectly legal under California law)" and "It was a family
> pet, the owner was there, and he could have had the owner get the dog,
> therefore he was just being a jerk by shooting someone's pet."
>
> I have to admit, I fall more into the first group. I find it rather
> distressing that so many people fail to take proper control of their
> pets. And then they get upset when bad things happen to them.
>
> Rebecca

When I was about 12 years old, I was out walking with my dog *on our own
property.* A man appeared just across the fence line and said, "Get away
from that dog. I'm going to shoot it." He started to raise his rifle, but
I was young and stupid (and loved my dog). So, I grabbed her by her collar
and ran with her. He yelled but did not do anything else. I was on our own
land (rural area), and our dog was never off the property. My father called
the sheriff, and the sheriff later paid us a visit to tell us the man was a
renter who seemed to have "mental issues" but had been ordered to leave the
area and not return. I don't know which other area had the "good fortune"
to welcome him into the neighborhood, but I never saw him again.

MaryL

Outsider
October 1st 06, 07:58 PM
wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

> On 1 Oct 2006 08:37:21 -0700, "Lynne" > wrote:
>>
> When I lived in Oakland, there was a big uproar once in the newspaper.
> There was a nice park that ran up against some farmland. Someone was
> out hiking in the woods with their dog off leash, the dog went under
> the fence while in sight of its owner, and the farmer shot and killed
> it. People came down firmly into two camps: "It's your dog, keep it
> under your control and off someone else's land or expect it to be shot
> (which is perfectly legal under California law)" and "It was a family
> pet, the owner was there, and he could have had the owner get the dog,
> therefore he was just being a jerk by shooting someone's pet."
>
> I have to admit, I fall more into the first group. I find it rather
> distressing that so many people fail to take proper control of their
> pets. And then they get upset when bad things happen to them.
>
> Rebecca

I think they can both be right. Keep our pets leashed and safe and the
farmer was a jerk (or worse).

Andy

PawsForThought
October 1st 06, 08:18 PM
MaryL wrote:
Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians
for
> letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for letting
> their dogs wander off their own premises.
>
> MaryL

I have a friend who has 2 large dogs who have a fenced yard. A
neighbor's cat kept coming onto her property and she even warned the
cat's owner that the dogs might hurt the cat. Well unfortunately the
next time the cat came into her yard, her dogs killed it. She tried to
save the cat but it was too late. While I agree in instances where
dogs are not in their own yards, the dog owner is responsible,
sometimes it's not the dog owner's fault as was the case with my
friend. So sad :(

Lauren
(and Mickey & Meesha)
Raise Your Paw for Raw!

See my cats: http://mickeymeesha.photosite.com/mm/

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:13 AM
news:[email protected]

> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Lesley" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Be a little fair- when I was a kid everyone knew cats went out at night
>>> I mean listen to the end of the Flintstone's cartoons, our first cat
>>> was indoor/outdoor we only got him because we had a garden. When we
>>> moved to our current flat we deprived ourself of being good slaves,
>>> which of course is our natural status because people told us that it
>>> was "Cruel" to keep cats inside all the time.....
>>>
>>> Then we looked it up and decided it might work and that was a few years
>>> ago and we still had our doubts but it happened a friend's cat had had
>>> kittens and two tabby queens needed a home....We still had doubts
>>> because everyone told us "Cats need to go out".....I don't think our
>>> beloved Fugazi and Isis (Both RB) could have had a better life and I
>>> don't think the current residents could have a better one either (Even
>>> through at the moment they are having a fight over who gets to sit on
>>> the catnip scented posts- these two will only use a certain post made
>>> in the US and we're in the UK and I just paid an exorbitant price to
>>> get some over here- spoilt? Not at all!)
>>>
>>> Go round, talk to them, be nice maybe this is the shock they need and
>>> persuade them to keep their cats indoors
>>>
>>> Lesley
>>>
>>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>>>

>> I know I'm being a bit harsh...venting I suppose. Yes, I understand, as I
>> used to have my cats outside, as where I grew up (rural australia), there
>> was no education on keeping cats inside vs outside, but the Council of
>> the city I live in has a lot of education about responsible pet ownership
>> happening constantly; it's in the papers, on the radio etc. It's not them
>> having the cat outside, it's them blaming others. That's what worries me.
>> They are not taking responsibilty for what happened, ie. I chose to let
>> my cat wander, so therefore it is my responsibilty if something happens
>> to my much loved pet. They are putting signs up blaming dog-owners. Most
>> of the dog owners around here are very responsible, whereas the cat
>> owners let their cats wander continually. I would like to talk to them
>> about it, but am not sure, as they would probably resent a perfect
>> stranger approaching them; people can be a bit funny about it here. It's
>> just frustrating as from the signs, I think they will do the same with
>> their next cat....let it wander then get all outraged at car drivers when
>> a car hits it. That worries me.
>>

> Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
> letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for
> letting their dogs wander off their own premises.
>
> MaryL

Definitely.I was not meaning that the dog owner was not responsible; I
meant that there are more responsible cat dog owners in my street than
responsible cat owners. I will not inflict my 'rants' on you again....it was
just getting to me that day.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:14 AM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>

>> Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
>> letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for
>> letting
>> their dogs wander off their own premises.
>
> And don't get me started on idiot dog owners who seem to expect dogs to
> chase cats. I have no idea where that particular urban myth started
> from- in the wild, cats are not prey animals for dogs but I've seen
> people urging their dog to chase a cat because "That's what dogs do".
> Dogs aren't too bright that way and if their owner encourages them to
> do it, they will do it to please their owner
>
> I've had at least a couple of arguments with people what do that-not
> recently through so I hope it's dying a well deserved death
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That is disgusting. Fortunately I haven't run into that one yet.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:16 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message

>> From what I've heard from people living in rural/farm areas, they
>> aren't very safe for wandering pets, either. Apparently many animals
>> get dumped out in those kinds of areas, and many farmers are more
>> likely to shoot and bury than you might think. Especially if the
>> strays are anywhere near their livestock.
>>
>> Rebecca
>
> I agree that even a rural environment is not safe for a beloved pet to
> roam free. I was young and stupid back then.
>
> We lived on a farm that our friends owned. One day my husband and our
> roommate were mountain biking on *our* property, on a ridge. They had
> both dogs with them. Someone shot and killed our roommate's dog, who
> was following the last bike within about 50 feet. The person who did
> it was likely illegally hunting. He also had to know it was a dog,
> given there were 3 people and 2 dogs on the ridge, all very close
> together. Still makes me sad and sick when I think about it.
>
> We have friends who own a farm here who have puppies and kittens dumped
> on them all the time. They neuter and keep some of the cats as barn
> cats but all the pups go to the shelter. It's very frustrating for
> them.

Yes. I agree. If anything rural people down under are more callous towards
animals than city folk. We had kittens and cats, dogs, birds, you name it
dumped on us. Unfortunately often the animals were nearly dead before the
owners would realize anything was wrong. That just shows what little
attention they paid their animals in the first place.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:17 AM
news:[email protected]

wrote:

>>>I agree that even a rural environment is not safe for a beloved pet to
>>>roam free. I was young and stupid back then.
>>>
>> It's ok. When I was young and stupid, we did the normal dog and cat
>> raising of opening the door in the morning and calling them in at
>> night. You live, you learn.
>>
>>>We lived on a farm that our friends owned. One day my husband and our
>>>roommate were mountain biking on *our* property, on a ridge. They had
>>>both dogs with them. Someone shot and killed our roommate's dog, who
>>>was following the last bike within about 50 feet. The person who did
>>>it was likely illegally hunting. He also had to know it was a dog,
>>>given there were 3 people and 2 dogs on the ridge, all very close
>>>together. Still makes me sad and sick when I think about it.
>>>
>> When I lived in Oakland, there was a big uproar once in the newspaper.
>> There was a nice park that ran up against some farmland. Someone was
>> out hiking in the woods with their dog off leash, the dog went under
>> the fence while in sight of its owner, and the farmer shot and killed
>> it. People came down firmly into two camps: "It's your dog, keep it
>> under your control and off someone else's land or expect it to be shot
>> (which is perfectly legal under California law)" and "It was a family
>> pet, the owner was there, and he could have had the owner get the dog,
>> therefore he was just being a jerk by shooting someone's pet."
>>
>> I have to admit, I fall more into the first group. I find it rather
>> distressing that so many people fail to take proper control of their
>> pets. And then they get upset when bad things happen to them.
>>
>> Rebecca
>>

> When I was about 12 years old, I was out walking with my dog *on our own
> property.* A man appeared just across the fence line and said, "Get away
> from that dog. I'm going to shoot it." He started to raise his rifle,
> but I was young and stupid (and loved my dog). So, I grabbed her by her
> collar and ran with her. He yelled but did not do anything else. I was
> on our own land (rural area), and our dog was never off the property. My
> father called the sheriff, and the sheriff later paid us a visit to tell
> us the man was a renter who seemed to have "mental issues" but had been
> ordered to leave the area and not return. I don't know which other area
> had the "good fortune" to welcome him into the neighborhood, but I never
> saw him again.
>
> MaryL

OMG lucky he didn't shoot you as well. But good for you for sticking up for
your dog.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:20 AM
> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:38:04 -0500, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

>>"meeee" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Lesley" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> I know I'm being a bit harsh...venting I suppose. Yes, I understand, as
>>> used to have my cats outside, as where I grew up (rural australia),
>>> there
>>> was no education on keeping cats inside vs outside, but the Council of
>>> the
>>> city I live in has a lot of education about responsible pet ownership
>>> happening constantly; it's in the papers, on the radio etc. It's not
>>> them
>>> having the cat outside, it's them blaming others. That's what worries
>>> me.
>>> They are not taking responsibilty for what happened, ie. I chose to let
>>> my
>>> cat wander, so therefore it is my responsibilty if something happens to
>>> my
>>> much loved pet. They are putting signs up blaming dog-owners. Most of
>>> the
>>> dog owners around here are very responsible, whereas the cat owners let
>>> their cats wander continually. I would like to talk to them about it,
>>> but
>>> am not sure, as they would probably resent a perfect stranger
>>> approaching
>>> them; people can be a bit funny about it here. It's just frustrating as
>>> from the signs, I think they will do the same with their next cat....let
>>> it wander then get all outraged at car drivers when a car hits it. That
>>> worries me.
>>>

>>Actually, *both* parties are responsible -- the cat owners/guardians for
>>letting their cats wander around unprotected and the dog owners for
>>letting
>>their dogs wander off their own premises.
>>
> Possibly. We don't know, based on the original post, where the cat
> was killed. It could have wandered into a dog's yard, in which case
> the fault is entirely on the cat's owner.
>
> Rebecca

I'm not sure either. The sign seemed to indicate the cat was killed on the
sidewalk. Even worse, the house was right on a busy road, so they were
idiots to let the cat out in the first place....a recipe for roadkill.

MaryL
October 2nd 06, 12:20 AM
"meeee" > wrote in message

> Definitely.I was not meaning that the dog owner was not responsible; I
> meant that there are more responsible cat dog owners in my street than
> responsible cat owners. I will not inflict my 'rants' on you again....it
> was just getting to me that day.

No problem. A lot of us rant and vent on newsgroups -- and your message
gave several of us an opportunity to vent some more.

MaryL

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:24 AM
"Alison" > wrote in message
> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>
>> One of our neighbours has a shrine to their cat out the front of their
>> house, with a large sign saying 'please restrain your dogs' and
>> explaining how their cat was murdered by a dog. I really want to go and
>> smack this idiot around the head, and say, you murdered your cat, you
>> tosser, you let it go outside daily, and probably nightly too, and
>> expected everyone else to look out for it. Even though you didn't have
>> the responsibility of a normal pet owner and look out for it, everyone
>> else has to. I have a smaller house than them, seven cats, and it is not
>> trouble to keep them indoors. Everyone knows there are heaps of dogs
>> around here, who occasionally get out, or are being walked and might pull
>> away from their owner to chase your cat. And idiots who will hurt your
>> cat, and cars that will kill it and yet people think they have a 'right'
>> to let their cat wander, and the rest of the world has to look after it.
>> Some people are stupid. >>>
>
> So what if those dogs maul another dog or a child or causes a car to crash
> ? It's the other dogs, childs, cars fault? I dont think so.
> What if someone wants to leash walk their cat or let it sit in their front
> garden?
> Alison

Agreed. It is definitely the dog owner's responsibility to keep it in. But
you can't say that a cat owner can blame anyone other than themself if they
let their cat wander and something happens to it. Dogs will chase cats, it
is their instinct. And cars will hit cats, and cruel people will do cruel
things. Those are the hazards of letting your cat outside daily. Leash
walking cats is a very uncommon practise here.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:26 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Alison wrote:
>>
>> So what if those dogs maul another dog or a child or causes a car to
>> crash
>> ?
>
> A dog chasing and killing a cat is much different than a dog attacking
> another dog or child. Dogs see cats as prey - they see other dogs as
> invading their territory or as possible mates and many (most?) dogs who
> would kill a cat wouldn't think twice about attacking a human. I can
> guarantee that if my dog had the chance, she would kill our neighbor's
> cats that are in our yard almost every day - sher has tried to catch
> them many times and has come close on occassion. On the flip side, she
> will growl and bark at other dogs who come into our yard, but has many
> dog friends she gets along with well, at the local dog park. She also
> adores children and would never, in a million years, bite one unless it
> was by accident (say if the child fell on her or something). That
> being said, I never allow any child around my dog (not even my own)
> unsupervised because such accidents *can* happen.
>

>> It's the other dogs, childs, cars fault? I dont think so.
>> What if someone wants to leash walk their cat or let it sit in their
>> front
>> garden?
>
> If one's cat is killed on one's own propery, it is the fault of the dog
> owner. If the cat is killed elsewhere, it is the fault of the cat
> owner.
>
> -L.

Thankyou. That was the only point I was trying to make. i have two terriers,
and they are lovely dogs, but if a cat, rat, rabbit, or other small animal
turned up in my yard, they would see it as prey, and chase and worry it. I
haven't trained them to do this, or beaten or mistreated them, but they are
terriers. It is their instinct. Just as my cat will hunt my bird and kill it
if I let the bird fly around the room.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:53 AM
news:[email protected]

> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>

>> Definitely.I was not meaning that the dog owner was not responsible; I
>> meant that there are more responsible cat dog owners in my street than
>> responsible cat owners. I will not inflict my 'rants' on you again....it
>> was just getting to me that day.
>>

> No problem. A lot of us rant and vent on newsgroups -- and your message
> gave several of us an opportunity to vent some more.
>
> MaryL

Lol I guess this is a topic close to all of our hearts.