PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Dog lovers in the house?

Rhonda
September 30th 06, 07:01 AM
D-O-G stuff

The vet tech class at school where I'm taking some classes has animals
they practice on for the year. I saw the future techs out walking dogs
on Thursday.

There was a sweet dog who is very quiet and slow to believe you will be
nice to her. She came to the school from a cancer research facility so
has been in a lab environment for awhile. She is very shy and afraid,
but started warming up to me. I talked and talked to her, then stopped
petting her, and she slowly walked over to me and shyly looked to me for
more pets. She has big eyes that want to trust, and they will rip out
your heart.

She's like a small black lab, but with a pointier nose. She's all black
with a little gray on the muzzle. I didn't ask her age. She's probably
about 25 lbs. She has a few places shaved on her legs and mouth, where I
think they've been practicing procedures on her. I just wanted to grab
her and get her into a nice home where she can just be a pampered dog.

They find homes for these dogs at the end of spring quarter -- so it
would be around June '07.

If anyone is near the Pacific Northwest and interested, I will try to
deliver!

Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes
September 30th 06, 08:25 AM
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:01:05 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>D-O-G stuff
>
>The vet tech class at school where I'm taking some classes has animals
>they practice on for the year. I saw the future techs out walking dogs
>on Thursday.
>
>There was a sweet dog who is very quiet and slow to believe you will be
>nice to her. She came to the school from a cancer research facility so
>has been in a lab environment for awhile. She is very shy and afraid,
>but started warming up to me. I talked and talked to her, then stopped
>petting her, and she slowly walked over to me and shyly looked to me for
>more pets. She has big eyes that want to trust, and they will rip out
>your heart.
>
>She's like a small black lab, but with a pointier nose. She's all black
>with a little gray on the muzzle. I didn't ask her age. She's probably
>about 25 lbs. She has a few places shaved on her legs and mouth, where I
>think they've been practicing procedures on her. I just wanted to grab
>her and get her into a nice home where she can just be a pampered dog.
>
>They find homes for these dogs at the end of spring quarter -- so it
>would be around June '07.
>
>If anyone is near the Pacific Northwest and interested, I will try to
>deliver!
>
>Rhonda

I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
have happened if I'd had a fence.

I'm living on the island (safer) and I am taking care of dogs all the
time these days, so I could definitely foster her. Tweaker would love
it. But dogs that size are usually pretty easy to place. Meanwhile,
your friendship means the world to her, that I guarantee.

Charlie

Rhonda
September 30th 06, 06:19 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
> dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
> December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
> have happened if I'd had a fence.
>
> I'm living on the island (safer) and I am taking care of dogs all the
> time these days, so I could definitely foster her. Tweaker would love
> it. But dogs that size are usually pretty easy to place. Meanwhile,
> your friendship means the world to her, that I guarantee.

Thanks, Charlie,

I thought it would have to be the right time or the right dog for you --
I know losing your other dog was traumatic. I will relay the fostering
offer to the school to keep in mind.

I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
look in her eyes is just a killer.

Rhonda

"Rhonda" > wrote
> I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
> week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
> look in her eyes is just a killer.

Honestly, I admire your control. I would be climbing the walls and
sending people money I don't have to get her OUT of there NOW.
Which of course, is crazy.

Charlie Wilkes
October 1st 06, 03:06 AM
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:19:19 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
>> dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
>> December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
>> have happened if I'd had a fence.
>>
>> I'm living on the island (safer) and I am taking care of dogs all the
>> time these days, so I could definitely foster her. Tweaker would love
>> it. But dogs that size are usually pretty easy to place. Meanwhile,
>> your friendship means the world to her, that I guarantee.
>

>Thanks, Charlie,
>
>I thought it would have to be the right time or the right dog for you --
>I know losing your other dog was traumatic. I will relay the fostering
>offer to the school to keep in mind.
>
>I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
>week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
>look in her eyes is just a killer.
>
>Rhonda

Good for you. There many animals out there having miserable lives,
and all they need is one person to take an interest. My policy is not
to seek them out, because there are too many, but to befriend them
if/when I encounter them. It's always worth it.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
October 1st 06, 03:10 AM
On 30 Sep 2006 19:43:35 +0200, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Rhonda" > wrote
>> I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
>> week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
>> look in her eyes is just a killer.
>>

>Honestly, I admire your control. I would be climbing the walls and
>sending people money I don't have to get her OUT of there NOW.
>Which of course, is crazy.

If the dog is being used in a course of veterinary study, one hopes
it's being cared for properly. But, it's probably lonely and anxious.

It had the good fortune to get on Rhonda's radar, and that will make
all the difference to this particular animal...

Charlie

-L.
October 1st 06, 06:42 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
> dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
> December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
> have happened if I'd had a fence.

Oh Jesus - I didn't know that part. Wasn't she hit by a car? Or am I
remembering wrong? How anyone could choose to kill someone's pet is
beyond me.

-L.

-L.
October 1st 06, 06:44 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> D-O-G stuff
<snip>

I replied to this and it never showed up. I put out a couple feelers -
one here in PDX and one in San Jose. I will let you know if I get any
response.

-L.

Rhonda
October 1st 06, 08:26 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2006 19:43:35 +0200, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Rhonda" > wrote
>>
>>>I hope you're right and she finds a good home easily. I'm going in next
>>>week to see if they'll let me walk her and work with her. The tentative
>>>look in her eyes is just a killer.
>>
>>Honestly, I admire your control. I would be climbing the walls and
>>sending people money I don't have to get her OUT of there NOW.
>>Which of course, is crazy.
>
> If the dog is being used in a course of veterinary study, one hopes
> it's being cared for properly. But, it's probably lonely and anxious.

I have to believe that these animals are being cared for properly so
that I can sleep at night. The four I saw out on leashes were mostly
playful and excited to be outside, except for this shy girl. She's a
sensitive one. I just can't think about her past too much, I just think
about those eyes and doing what I can to make sure she gets a good home.

Rhonda

Rhonda
October 1st 06, 08:28 AM
-L. wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
>
>>D-O-G stuff
>
> <snip>
>
> I replied to this and it never showed up. I put out a couple feelers -
> one here in PDX and one in San Jose. I will let you know if I get any
> response.

Thanks, Lyn. I will try to get more info about her next week in case
anyone is interested.

Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes
October 1st 06, 10:16 PM
On 30 Sep 2006 22:42:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>
>> I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
>> dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
>> December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
>> have happened if I'd had a fence.
>
>Oh Jesus - I didn't know that part. Wasn't she hit by a car? Or am I
>remembering wrong? How anyone could choose to kill someone's pet is
>beyond me.
>
>-L.

The initial story I put out to my friends was that she was hit by a
car. I posted that here because I didn't want to get into long sagas.

According to the vet, impact by a car was unlikely. He was so puzzled
he did a free autopsy. The injury was too small, and it came from a
blow that was angled from below rather than a lateral impact. It
appeared to be the result of being stuck with some kind of tool, in
exactly the right spot to inflict a fatal injury.

I don't have proof that my neighbor did it, but I have good reason to
suspect him.

Charlie

Charlie

cybercat
October 1st 06, 11:14 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 30 Sep 2006 22:42:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>

> The initial story I put out to my friends was that she was hit by a
> car. I posted that here because I didn't want to get into long sagas.
>
> According to the vet, impact by a car was unlikely. He was so puzzled
> he did a free autopsy. The injury was too small, and it came from a
> blow that was angled from below rather than a lateral impact. It
> appeared to be the result of being stuck with some kind of tool, in
> exactly the right spot to inflict a fatal injury.
>
> I don't have proof that my neighbor did it, but I have good reason to
> suspect him.

oh, Charlie.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 12:38 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 30 Sep 2006 22:42:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>

>>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>>
>>> I would volunteer, except I have promised myself I won't get another
>>> dog until I have a fence put up. My dog got killed last year in
>>> December, probably by a hostile neighbor, and I don't think it would
>>> have happened if I'd had a fence.
>>
>>Oh Jesus - I didn't know that part. Wasn't she hit by a car? Or am I
>>remembering wrong? How anyone could choose to kill someone's pet is
>>beyond me.
>>
>>-L.
>
> The initial story I put out to my friends was that she was hit by a
> car. I posted that here because I didn't want to get into long sagas.
>
> According to the vet, impact by a car was unlikely. He was so puzzled
> he did a free autopsy. The injury was too small, and it came from a
> blow that was angled from below rather than a lateral impact. It
> appeared to be the result of being stuck with some kind of tool, in
> exactly the right spot to inflict a fatal injury.
>
> I don't have proof that my neighbor did it, but I have good reason to
> suspect him.
>
> Charlie
>

> Charlie

:( Can I come over and hit that neighbour with something??

Charlie Wilkes
October 2nd 06, 05:50 AM
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:38:24 GMT, "meeee"
> wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message

>>>Oh Jesus - I didn't know that part. Wasn't she hit by a car? Or am I
>>>remembering wrong? How anyone could choose to kill someone's pet is
>>>beyond me.
>>>
>>>-L.
>>
>> The initial story I put out to my friends was that she was hit by a
>> car. I posted that here because I didn't want to get into long sagas.
>>
>> According to the vet, impact by a car was unlikely. He was so puzzled
>> he did a free autopsy. The injury was too small, and it came from a
>> blow that was angled from below rather than a lateral impact. It
>> appeared to be the result of being stuck with some kind of tool, in
>> exactly the right spot to inflict a fatal injury.
>>
>> I don't have proof that my neighbor did it, but I have good reason to
>> suspect him.
>>
>> Charlie
>>

>> Charlie
>
>:( Can I come over and hit that neighbour with something??

I don't have any proof, or even direct evidence, to go on. I've never
met the guy, and I don't want to get drawn into his world. I suspect
he's the kind of person who creates problems for himself without
anyone's help. The main reason I know he's got a problem with me is
because he went to a number of county agencies with far-fetched
stories that didn't check out. He didn't do himself any favors with
that move.

Charlie

-L.
October 2nd 06, 06:20 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> The initial story I put out to my friends was that she was hit by a
> car. I posted that here because I didn't want to get into long sagas.
>
> According to the vet, impact by a car was unlikely. He was so puzzled
> he did a free autopsy. The injury was too small, and it came from a
> blow that was angled from below rather than a lateral impact. It
> appeared to be the result of being stuck with some kind of tool, in
> exactly the right spot to inflict a fatal injury.
>
> I don't have proof that my neighbor did it, but I have good reason to
> suspect him.
>
> Charlie

That's just ****ing sick.

-L.

meeee
October 2nd 06, 10:09 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:38:24 GMT, "meeee"
> > wrote:

>>> The initial story I put out to my friends was that she was hit by a
>>> car. I posted that here because I didn't want to get into long sagas.
>>>
>>> According to the vet, impact by a car was unlikely. He was so puzzled
>>> he did a free autopsy. The injury was too small, and it came from a
>>> blow that was angled from below rather than a lateral impact. It
>>> appeared to be the result of being stuck with some kind of tool, in
>>> exactly the right spot to inflict a fatal injury.
>>>
>>> I don't have proof that my neighbor did it, but I have good reason to
>>> suspect him.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>>

>>> Charlie
>>
>>:( Can I come over and hit that neighbour with something??
>>
> I don't have any proof, or even direct evidence, to go on. I've never
> met the guy, and I don't want to get drawn into his world. I suspect
> he's the kind of person who creates problems for himself without
> anyone's help. The main reason I know he's got a problem with me is
> because he went to a number of county agencies with far-fetched
> stories that didn't check out. He didn't do himself any favors with
> that move.
>
> Charlie

:( Sounds like a recipe for trouble; to himself mostly. Sounds like you are
being very wise steering clear of him.

October 9th 06, 05:59 AM
Hi,
You mentioned Vet tech classes and I was really touched by your post :)
Thanks~!

Say I don't know if you have seen this but you may really enjoy
checking out
http://www.goodnewsforpets.com. They have some terrific informative
pieces,
kicking off the 25th Anniversary of National Veterinary Technician
Week,
coming up October 15 - 21, 2006~!! Now, how Cool is That~!

High Five~!

Kate