PDA

View Full Version : I had a great visit yesterday

RobZip
September 30th 06, 10:09 PM
A regional group called Cat Haven had one of their workers in the area
yesterday doing a census in my neighborhood. This is a condo area and has
become a dumping ground for unwanted cats along with the ones some leave
behind when they move out. Of course, they breed new babies, and the local
predators like foxes, barely make a dent in the population.

The Cat Haven rep came to my door to inform me of their operation that will
get underway officially on Monday. He says traps will be brought out in
early morning hours and they will be watched throughout the day. There will
be staff from our local humane society ( privately run, no-kill) assisting
them as well as others from another local animal rescue group. Since my home
has a higher than average congregation of strays (bet ya couldn't see that
one coming), they may even get a head start on Sunday morning at my place. I
showed the guy some of their trails where they come from other locations,
some of their hangouts besides my place, and gave him all the info I could
on what the stray population on my street consisted of.

The plan is to trap and transport, do bloodwork for terminal conditions -
FLK, FIV- neuter, then return the cats to their point of origin. They will
euthanize any found to be actively infected with terminal, communicable
diseases.

After geting no interest at all for over a year in dealing with this
problem, it's great to see some help finally come in. Nobody - county
commissioners, animal control, humane society, or local vets were willing to
work with me. The best offer I got was a $30 ( a good rate BTW) per head
neutering from the rescue group if I brought in 5 or more at one time. Less
than 5 and the price was a flat $50 each. Even if my finances would permit
it, the logistics of trapping, keeping, transporting and handling that many
at one time wouldn't work. It sure does help my spirits to know that with
winter coming on there won't be any new babies in the mix.

The Polish-Kraut
October 1st 06, 02:46 AM
It would be nice if they could rehome any real friendly or any smaller
ones.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

>A regional group called Cat Haven had one of their workers in the area
>yesterday doing a census in my neighborhood. This is a condo area and has
>become a dumping ground for unwanted cats along with the ones some leave
>behind when they move out. Of course, they breed new babies, and the local
>predators like foxes, barely make a dent in the population.
>
>The Cat Haven rep came to my door to inform me of their operation that will
>get underway officially on Monday. He says traps will be brought out in
>early morning hours and they will be watched throughout the day. There will
>be staff from our local humane society ( privately run, no-kill) assisting
>them as well as others from another local animal rescue group. Since my home
>has a higher than average congregation of strays (bet ya couldn't see that
>one coming), they may even get a head start on Sunday morning at my place. I
>showed the guy some of their trails where they come from other locations,
>some of their hangouts besides my place, and gave him all the info I could
>on what the stray population on my street consisted of.
>
>The plan is to trap and transport, do bloodwork for terminal conditions -
>FLK, FIV- neuter, then return the cats to their point of origin. They will
>euthanize any found to be actively infected with terminal, communicable
>diseases.
>
>After geting no interest at all for over a year in dealing with this
>problem, it's great to see some help finally come in. Nobody - county
>commissioners, animal control, humane society, or local vets were willing to
>work with me. The best offer I got was a $30 ( a good rate BTW) per head
>neutering from the rescue group if I brought in 5 or more at one time. Less
>than 5 and the price was a flat $50 each. Even if my finances would permit
>it, the logistics of trapping, keeping, transporting and handling that many
>at one time wouldn't work. It sure does help my spirits to know that with
>winter coming on there won't be any new babies in the mix.

RobZip
October 1st 06, 03:05 AM
"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in message

> It would be nice if they could rehome any real friendly or any smaller
> ones.

That's a possibility too. There are a couple of young males that would be
very appreciative of a good home. One was born here just over a year ago,
the other is about 8 months old, been around since about May. He was
obviously a dumped pet. He ran right up to me when he first saw me, came
insie and seemed to know al about the litter box, drinking and eating from
bowls, familiar with indoor stuff.

Four more of the smaller ones were staying over one street from me until the
person feeding them moved out. Grapevine chatter brought them to me for food
and they've been getting a bit more bold in approaching me. Two of them were
playing with my fingers under the storm door the other night. Out in the
open with nothing between us, they still keep a 4 or 5 foot safety buffer,
but grow more comfortable all the time with human presence.

Charlie Wilkes
October 1st 06, 06:27 AM
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 02:05:09 GMT, "RobZip" <no > wrote:

>"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in message
>>

>> It would be nice if they could rehome any real friendly or any smaller
>> ones.
>>
>That's a possibility too. There are a couple of young males that would be
>very appreciative of a good home. One was born here just over a year ago,
>the other is about 8 months old, been around since about May. He was
>obviously a dumped pet. He ran right up to me when he first saw me, came
>insie and seemed to know al about the litter box, drinking and eating from
>bowls, familiar with indoor stuff.
>
>Four more of the smaller ones were staying over one street from me until the
>person feeding them moved out. Grapevine chatter brought them to me for food
>and they've been getting a bit more bold in approaching me. Two of them were
>playing with my fingers under the storm door the other night. Out in the
>open with nothing between us, they still keep a 4 or 5 foot safety buffer,
>but grow more comfortable all the time with human presence.

It will be a relief when they get neutered, eh?

I'm glad you finally found an organization with the resources to help
you do something about your neighborhood cat problem.

Charlie

RobZip
October 1st 06, 03:49 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message

> It will be a relief when they get neutered, eh?
>
> I'm glad you finally found an organization with the resources to help
> you do something about your neighborhood cat problem.
>
> Charlie

Actually, they found me, it seems. Either way we get a bit of a reprieve
from the constant onslaught of new cats. I wonder how many other people
they've been hearing from, and for how long before it became a situation
that could no longer be ignored? Maybe some of the residents around here
will start paying more attention when they see someone dumping cats off
here.