PDA

View Full Version : how long can viruses lay dormant on objects?


Maxine G
October 1st 06, 07:32 PM
Hi. I'm about to adopt cats for the first time. I'm looking to get some
used paraphernalia like litter box, carrier and scratching post. Would it
be possible for my new cats to catch FIV or leukemia from these items if
the cats who used them had the viruses? How long will the viruses be viable
on those items? Is there a way I can clean them or treat them and be safe?

I'd rather not buy the items new, but I will if it's the only way to keep
my cats safe.

Thanks,

Maxine

--
mgusenet at pcg dot net

Matthew
October 1st 06, 07:39 PM
Maxine first yes a virus can lay dormant with the right conditions for
years

litter boxes can be made from any plastic tub or container line the bottom
with newspaper use a plastic garbage bag away you go the litter box
can be reused but needs to scrubbed with bleach. I go to target or
Wal-Mart and buy the heavy duty plastic storage tubs for about 3 to 4
each. They last for about a year or more and I am talking about 6 cats
using them. For each cat you need a box

the cat carrier can be scrubbed with bleach just air out and wash out so
nothing can harm the little furballs

scratching post are cheap as can be and can be made by yourself for a cheap
price you can not clean those. I buy the throw away boards from Wal-Mart
for $5. They make scratch boards that you can hang from the door handle
real cheap for about $ 10
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=8741&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=scratch+board&cp=2&Nao=12&sku=152510&familyID=6409&



If you need any other help please ask and there are other cat group such
as rec.pets.cats.anecdotes that are real helpful and will welcome you with
open arms


"Maxine G" > wrote in message
7.102...
> Hi. I'm about to adopt cats for the first time. I'm looking to get some
> used paraphernalia like litter box, carrier and scratching post. Would it
> be possible for my new cats to catch FIV or leukemia from these items if
> the cats who used them had the viruses? How long will the viruses be
> viable
> on those items? Is there a way I can clean them or treat them and be safe?
>
> I'd rather not buy the items new, but I will if it's the only way to keep
> my cats safe.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maxine
>
> --
> mgusenet at pcg dot net

cybercat
October 2nd 06, 01:42 AM
"Maxine G" > wrote

>Hi. I'm about to adopt cats for the first time. I'm looking >to get some
>used paraphernalia like litter box, carrier >and scratching post.

My tall scratcher, (three feet tall, and you want something tall enough that
the cats can get a good stretch in, or they might go looking for furniture
where they CAN) cost $15 brand new at PetSmart. My cat box, unlidded, (you
don't want one with a lid anyway) cost $4 at wall mart. Carriers are not
that expensive either, and you only need one carrier for vet visits. In
fact, you can get cardboard ones for really cheap.

You are looking at no more than about $30. Spend it, and less time worrying
over what to do if you buy a used one that is unclean. Your time is money
too.

Maxine G
October 3rd 06, 03:59 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in
:

>
> "Maxine G" > wrote
>
>>Hi. I'm about to adopt cats for the first time. I'm looking >to get
>>some used paraphernalia like litter box, carrier >and scratching post.
>
> My tall scratcher, (three feet tall, and you want something tall
> enough that the cats can get a good stretch in, or they might go
> looking for furniture where they CAN) cost $15 brand new at PetSmart.
> My cat box, unlidded, (you don't want one with a lid anyway) cost $4
> at wall mart. Carriers are not that expensive either, and you only
> need one carrier for vet visits. In fact, you can get cardboard ones
> for really cheap.
>
> You are looking at no more than about $30. Spend it, and less time
> worrying over what to do if you buy a used one that is unclean. Your
> time is money too.

Thanks for all the info! I'm really not that concerned with the money. I
just prefer to re-use peoples' discarded items when possible.

By the way, why do you say I don't want a litterbox with a lid? What are
the advantages and disadvantages?


--
mgusenet at pcg dot net

Matthew
October 3rd 06, 04:05 AM
"Maxine G" > wrote in message
7.102...
> "cybercat" > wrote in
> :
>
>>
>> "Maxine G" > wrote
>>
>>>Hi. I'm about to adopt cats for the first time. I'm looking >to get
>>>some used paraphernalia like litter box, carrier >and scratching post.
>>
>> My tall scratcher, (three feet tall, and you want something tall
>> enough that the cats can get a good stretch in, or they might go
>> looking for furniture where they CAN) cost $15 brand new at PetSmart.
>> My cat box, unlidded, (you don't want one with a lid anyway) cost $4
>> at wall mart. Carriers are not that expensive either, and you only
>> need one carrier for vet visits. In fact, you can get cardboard ones
>> for really cheap.
>>
>> You are looking at no more than about $30. Spend it, and less time
>> worrying over what to do if you buy a used one that is unclean. Your
>> time is money too.
>
> Thanks for all the info! I'm really not that concerned with the money. I
> just prefer to re-use peoples' discarded items when possible.
>
> By the way, why do you say I don't want a litterbox with a lid? What are
> the advantages and disadvantages?
>

Most cats do not like them they are intimidated by them. Second the clean
up if they miss. Third if they get scared where can they go and where will
the box take them.

advantage hides the litter box confines the smell

Also hides the cat so if you are a good cat mommy 9 like most are) you
can't keep a watchful eye on them if they are having problems

cybercat
October 3rd 06, 08:09 PM
"Maxine G" > wrote:>>
>> You are looking at no more than about $30. Spend it, and less time
>> worrying over what to do if you buy a used one that is unclean. Your
>> time is money too.
>
> Thanks for all the info! I'm really not that concerned with the money. I
> just prefer to re-use peoples' discarded items when possible.

Oh, I see. Recycling! Good idea. I imagine if you could boil the things or
use some sort of heavy-duty disinfectant or anti-viral, maybe it would be
okay. But if it smells funny the cats might not use it. Still, I can see why
you
might want to do that. Scratchers wear out, and they are usually carpeted.
I think you could find one and recover it with discarded carpet remnants,
and some sisal rope, after removing the old carpet and sisal.

>
> By the way, why do you say I don't want a litterbox with a lid? What are
> the advantages and disadvantages?
>

Some cats don't like them, as they make them feel confined, like they
cannot escape at a moment's notice if need be. (If you have more than
one cat, a favorite activity seems to be "potty ambush!") It could be that
some cats don't like them because they keep the scent in.

But I really don't like them because it is easy to forget to scoop when you
cannot see inside the box. And it is just another thing to clean, the cover.
I disinfect the box each time I change the scoopable, and I don't want
another thing to clean. If you want to conceal the box, a "fireplace screen"
type thing is best, I think.

Let us know when you get your kitties! I am excited for you! Are you getting
adults or kittens? Adult rescues can be the most grateful, sweet things.