PDA

View Full Version : Predator or prey?

October 2nd 06, 04:07 PM
One of my cats seems to have absolutely no fear of any animal it
encounters, but is incredibly shy and timid around people.

It is an increidbly beautiful and loving cat, about three years old. He
has been neutered, but I feel that somehow the 'wild' hasn't been taken
out of him that much! He still does a number of things associated with
Toms - fighting with his housemate, growling when food is put down and
the other one is around, disappearing for long periods during mating
season etc. He also musks me is I stroke him vigorously, or anywhere
near his abdomen for any length of time greater than about five
seconds. He's a really affectionate cat - loves to sit with me when I'm
working on the computer or just lazing around watching TV (which is a
pain, because he molts continuously and is pure white - meaning his
hairs get everywhere and make your lap look like you've been wearing a
cheap fur coat).

All of this behaviour is fantastic - I love cats that behave like cats
rather than ornaments but, having had ten cats altogether in my life,
the lack of fear of other animals is alightly unnerving, especially
coupled with his terrible shyness around other people. My friends don't
believe me when I tell them how much he kills - an average week sees
him bring home around eight mice, three birds (usually including at
least one Wood Pigeon) one rat and today he got his first squirrel.
Unlike most cats, he doesn't just kill them and bring them back - he
dismembers and eats them as well, which can be a little upsetting for
my wife when she comes home and finds the kitchen looking like a
slaughterhouse... He constantly torments the neighbour's dog (its not a
small dog either) and I have (honest to God, I'm not making this up)
seen him chase a FOX the length of the garden, hissing and trying to
jump on its back.

I'm starting to get a little bit worried that he will bite off more
than he can chew one day and corner a fox that will have no choice but
to defend itself - he will obviously come off worse and I worry that
he'll end up seriously injured.

Does anybody have any tips on how to curb his aggression? He doesn't
play much indoors - we've tried everything to get him to get some
aggression out using toys & play but all he wants to do when he comes
home is lunge around and be affectionate with us - which is nice, but
not conducive to wearing him out before he goes out again - in fact he
seems to use it as an opportunity to recharge his batteries before
going out on the next hunt!

mlbriggs
October 2nd 06, 05:42 PM
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 08:07:44 -0700, zebulebu wrote:

> One of my cats seems to have absolutely no fear of any animal it
> encounters, but is incredibly shy and timid around people.
>
> It is an increidbly beautiful and loving cat, about three years old. He
> has been neutered, but I feel that somehow the 'wild' hasn't been taken
> out of him that much! He still does a number of things associated with
> Toms - fighting with his housemate, growling when food is put down and
> the other one is around, disappearing for long periods during mating
> season etc. He also musks me is I stroke him vigorously, or anywhere
> near his abdomen for any length of time greater than about five
> seconds. He's a really affectionate cat - loves to sit with me when I'm
> working on the computer or just lazing around watching TV (which is a
> pain, because he molts continuously and is pure white - meaning his
> hairs get everywhere and make your lap look like you've been wearing a
> cheap fur coat).
>
> All of this behaviour is fantastic - I love cats that behave like cats
> rather than ornaments but, having had ten cats altogether in my life,
> the lack of fear of other animals is alightly unnerving, especially
> coupled with his terrible shyness around other people. My friends don't
> believe me when I tell them how much he kills - an average week sees
> him bring home around eight mice, three birds (usually including at
> least one Wood Pigeon) one rat and today he got his first squirrel.
> Unlike most cats, he doesn't just kill them and bring them back - he
> dismembers and eats them as well, which can be a little upsetting for
> my wife when she comes home and finds the kitchen looking like a
> slaughterhouse... He constantly torments the neighbour's dog (its not a
> small dog either) and I have (honest to God, I'm not making this up)
> seen him chase a FOX the length of the garden, hissing and trying to
> jump on its back.
>
> I'm starting to get a little bit worried that he will bite off more
> than he can chew one day and corner a fox that will have no choice but
> to defend itself - he will obviously come off worse and I worry that
> he'll end up seriously injured.
>
> Does anybody have any tips on how to curb his aggression? He doesn't
> play much indoors - we've tried everything to get him to get some
> aggression out using toys & play but all he wants to do when he comes
> home is lunge around and be affectionate with us - which is nice, but
> not conducive to wearing him out before he goes out again - in fact he
> seems to use it as an opportunity to recharge his batteries before
> going out on the next hunt!

Perhaps an outdoor enclosure would help. In killing all that "wildlife"
he must bring some unhealthy germs into your home. Good luck. MLB

October 2nd 06, 09:57 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> One of my cats seems to have absolutely no fear of any animal it
> encounters, but is incredibly shy and timid around people.
>
> It is an increidbly beautiful and loving cat, about three years old. He
> has been neutered, but I feel that somehow the 'wild' hasn't been taken
> out of him that much! He still does a number of things associated with
> Toms - fighting with his housemate, growling when food is put down and
> the other one is around, disappearing for long periods during mating
> season etc. He also musks me is I stroke him vigorously, or anywhere
> near his abdomen for any length of time greater than about five
> seconds. He's a really affectionate cat - loves to sit with me when I'm
> working on the computer or just lazing around watching TV (which is a
> pain, because he molts continuously and is pure white - meaning his
> hairs get everywhere and make your lap look like you've been wearing a
> cheap fur coat).
>
> All of this behaviour is fantastic - I love cats that behave like cats
> rather than ornaments but, having had ten cats altogether in my life,
> the lack of fear of other animals is alightly unnerving, especially
> coupled with his terrible shyness around other people. My friends don't
> believe me when I tell them how much he kills - an average week sees
> him bring home around eight mice, three birds (usually including at
> least one Wood Pigeon) one rat and today he got his first squirrel.
> Unlike most cats, he doesn't just kill them and bring them back - he
> dismembers and eats them as well, which can be a little upsetting for
> my wife when she comes home and finds the kitchen looking like a
> slaughterhouse... He constantly torments the neighbour's dog (its not a
> small dog either) and I have (honest to God, I'm not making this up)
> seen him chase a FOX the length of the garden, hissing and trying to
> jump on its back.
>
> I'm starting to get a little bit worried that he will bite off more
> than he can chew one day and corner a fox that will have no choice but
> to defend itself - he will obviously come off worse and I worry that
> he'll end up seriously injured.
>
> Does anybody have any tips on how to curb his aggression? He doesn't
> play much indoors - we've tried everything to get him to get some
> aggression out using toys & play but all he wants to do when he comes
> home is lunge around and be affectionate with us - which is nice, but
> not conducive to wearing him out before he goes out again - in fact he
> seems to use it as an opportunity to recharge his batteries before
> going out on the next hunt!

I've seen a cat do a number on a human being on more than one occasion.
Be it dog, fox, whatever the cat is equipped to take care of itself very
well.

But my little predator is strictly on a mouse plan. When they started
gutting the other apartments we had a small infestation. That little
girl Emily took care of every last mouse. The only problem is she kills
them, guts them, then stashes them. We'd find little desicated mouse
carcasses all over the place.

October 3rd 06, 02:53 AM
wrote:
> Does anybody have any tips on how to curb his aggression? He doesn't
> play much indoors - we've tried everything to get him to get some
> aggression out using toys & play but all he wants to do when he comes
> home is lunge around and be affectionate with us - which is nice, but
> not conducive to wearing him out before he goes out again - in fact he
> seems to use it as an opportunity to recharge his batteries before
> going out on the next hunt!

I think I'd ask the pros on this one. Clicker training? That's one
method they use on all cats from pet felines to lions and tigers.
Teaches behaviors and tricks but the tricks are not important as
behavioral training in this case. The method is simple, a little toy
clicker and rewarding the cat while shaping the behavior. Simple for
the gifted. Look up Clicker Training, Karen Pryor, there is or was a
group in Yahoo, Clicker Training. You'll need some guidance unless
you're a natural animal trainer. It sounds simple but it's not for most
adults.

I don't know nearly enough to make good suggestions on aggressive cats.
You could tie a bell if it could be done safely to a collar so he has
to work harder for his kills. Most likely he'll learn to walk without
the bell sounding. All I can think of is Clicker Training but it's a
skill but something to keep the cat from lounging around and you can
shape behaviors. Do look into it. I think Karen will answer a few
emails. Her lectures are not that expensive if she tours in your area.
They are not dirt cheap though. But the Yahoo group is free. And either
she or another master as this will answer your questions. I have read
of similar cases like your being helped. But you need to talk to people
who are real professionals in this area. Who have been there and had
success. If you can train a wild tiger, you can probably train your
feisty feline.

October 3rd 06, 03:00 AM
T wrote:
> I've seen a cat do a number on a human being on more than one occasion.
> Be it dog, fox, whatever the cat is equipped to take care of itself very
> well.
>
> But my little predator is strictly on a mouse plan. When they started
> gutting the other apartments we had a small infestation. That little
> girl Emily took care of every last mouse. The only problem is she kills
> them, guts them, then stashes them. We'd find little desicated mouse
> carcasses all over the place.

That's true but the opposite is more true. Most dogs that are large
will do a number on the cat, and the same for most people. I don't know
about foxes but they are smart and their teeth are bigger than cats'.

Cats are fearless until they meet the wrong predator and the big danger
here is that they may not live past that first big-time mistake. Like a
raccoon, will take apart a cat. There are cats that can handle smaller
raccoons, but in general, a cat attacking a mature raccoon is going to
meet Darwin sooner than expected.

About mice. I hear you. My little girl has denuded the place of rodents
and quasi-rodents. I feel bad because nothing perks her up as much as
rodents and sparrows. What am I supposed to do? Buy mice for her to
chase, torture, interrogate, and kill?

Lynne
October 3rd 06, 03:16 AM
wrote:
>What am I supposed to do? Buy mice for her to
> chase, torture, interrogate, and kill?

Let me borrow her. My 3 year old, Rudy, who we brought home from the
woods completely feral at the age of ~4 months has taken domestication
to the extreme and I had to set mouse traps this year...

October 3rd 06, 05:05 AM
Lynne wrote:
> wrote:
> >What am I supposed to do? Buy mice for her to
> > chase, torture, interrogate, and kill?
>
> Let me borrow her. My 3 year old, Rudy, who we brought home from the
> woods completely feral at the age of ~4 months has taken domestication
> to the extreme and I had to set mouse traps this year...

Where are you? I may have to go overseas for a while. Near Pennsylvania?

October 3rd 06, 06:45 AM
On 2 Oct 2006 08:07:44 -0700, wrote:

>One of my cats seems to have absolutely no fear of any animal it
>encounters, but is incredibly shy and timid around people.
>
>It is an increidbly beautiful and loving cat, about three years old. He
>has been neutered, but I feel that somehow the 'wild' hasn't been taken
>out of him that much! He still does a number of things associated with
>Toms - fighting with his housemate, growling when food is put down and
>the other one is around, disappearing for long periods during mating
>season etc. He also musks me is I stroke him vigorously, or anywhere
>near his abdomen for any length of time greater than about five
>seconds. He's a really affectionate cat - loves to sit with me when I'm
>working on the computer or just lazing around watching TV (which is a
>pain, because he molts continuously and is pure white - meaning his
>hairs get everywhere and make your lap look like you've been wearing a
>cheap fur coat).
>
>All of this behaviour is fantastic - I love cats that behave like cats
>rather than ornaments but, having had ten cats altogether in my life,
>the lack of fear of other animals is alightly unnerving, especially
>coupled with his terrible shyness around other people. My friends don't
>believe me when I tell them how much he kills - an average week sees
>him bring home around eight mice, three birds (usually including at
>least one Wood Pigeon) one rat and today he got his first squirrel.
>Unlike most cats, he doesn't just kill them and bring them back - he
>dismembers and eats them as well, which can be a little upsetting for
>my wife when she comes home and finds the kitchen looking like a
>slaughterhouse... He constantly torments the neighbour's dog (its not a
>small dog either) and I have (honest to God, I'm not making this up)
>seen him chase a FOX the length of the garden, hissing and trying to
>jump on its back.
>
>I'm starting to get a little bit worried that he will bite off more
>than he can chew one day and corner a fox that will have no choice but
>to defend itself - he will obviously come off worse and I worry that
>he'll end up seriously injured.
>
>Does anybody have any tips on how to curb his aggression? He doesn't
>play much indoors - we've tried everything to get him to get some
>aggression out using toys & play but all he wants to do when he comes
>home is lunge around and be affectionate with us - which is nice, but
>not conducive to wearing him out before he goes out again - in fact he
>seems to use it as an opportunity to recharge his batteries before
>going out on the next hunt!

I have a cat somewhat like that. Sweet and cuddly as can be inside,
but when she is outside, all huntress. Ok, she will occasionally come
over to sleep on my lap if I'm sleeping outside, but otherwise she is
lying in wait for something to come by and be pounced on.

The only real advice I can give you is to try and do something to keep
the cat from roaming. You are running a risk of it taking on an
animal that it can't handle. And bird loving neighbors may decide to
take the matter in to their own hands if your cat is taking birds at
their feeders.

Rebecca

Lightwell
October 3rd 06, 06:51 PM
wrote:
> One of my cats seems to have absolutely no fear of any animal it
> encounters, but is incredibly shy and timid around people.
>
> It is an increidbly beautiful and loving cat, about three years old. He
> has been neutered, but I feel that somehow the 'wild' hasn't been taken
> out of him that much! He still does a number of things associated with
> Toms - fighting with his housemate, growling when food is put down and
> the other one is around, disappearing for long periods during mating
> season etc. He also musks me is I stroke him vigorously, or anywhere
> near his abdomen for any length of time greater than about five
> seconds. He's a really affectionate cat - loves to sit with me when I'm
> working on the computer or just lazing around watching TV (which is a
> pain, because he molts continuously and is pure white - meaning his
> hairs get everywhere and make your lap look like you've been wearing a
> cheap fur coat).
>
> All of this behaviour is fantastic - I love cats that behave like cats
> rather than ornaments but, having had ten cats altogether in my life,
> the lack of fear of other animals is alightly unnerving, especially
> coupled with his terrible shyness around other people. My friends don't
> believe me when I tell them how much he kills - an average week sees
> him bring home around eight mice, three birds (usually including at
> least one Wood Pigeon) one rat and today he got his first squirrel.
> Unlike most cats, he doesn't just kill them and bring them back - he
> dismembers and eats them as well, which can be a little upsetting for
> my wife when she comes home and finds the kitchen looking like a
> slaughterhouse... He constantly torments the neighbour's dog (its not a
> small dog either) and I have (honest to God, I'm not making this up)
> seen him chase a FOX the length of the garden, hissing and trying to
> jump on its back.
>
> I'm starting to get a little bit worried that he will bite off more
> than he can chew one day and corner a fox that will have no choice but
> to defend itself - he will obviously come off worse and I worry that
> he'll end up seriously injured.
>
> Does anybody have any tips on how to curb his aggression? He doesn't
> play much indoors - we've tried everything to get him to get some
> aggression out using toys & play but all he wants to do when he comes
> home is lunge around and be affectionate with us - which is nice, but
> not conducive to wearing him out before he goes out again - in fact he
> seems to use it as an opportunity to recharge his batteries before
> going out on the next hunt!

Great cat! Loved to read about him.
I have myself 7 cats, male and female, all neutered, all outdoor and
indoor cats.
Can do what they want. And some are hunting some are not and some are
eating their mice some don`t. I frequently find mice heads on my
kitchen floor and other remains. <shudder>
Means the hunting urge is not necessarily to disappear after neutering.
Agreed - the behaviour of your cat is outstanding, he seems to be more
than a tom-cat, neutered or not. I love his attitude. I found out with
my cats that after neutering some of them kept more male behaviour as
others.
And it seems they keep more male behaviours the older they are at
neutering time.
It is quite normal when they, even after neutering, still mark their
territory. After all it is one of their strongest needs - to make
clear who owns that area. But fortunately after the hormon change
through neutering the stuff doesn`t stink anymore that much.And also -
some of them do it some not.

Hey -this guy really has persona, guts, self-esteem whatever you will
call it.
And he seems to have a lot of fun. I think he would really be unhappy
if someone deprived him of his style of life. Congratulations for this
wonderful cat!

It is not clear that this cat would loose a fight with a fox - cats are
dangerous especially if they have an attitude. O.K. - Life out there is
dangerous. But some prefer to die in battle than dieing on a sofa. But
I believe your cat needs the life he choose and that he is not at all
stupid and would run like hell if fortune would change.

Thank you for putting these pictures in my mind. I laughed a lot.

P.S.He reminds me intensely of Greebo - Nanny Ogg`s cat.
This is Terry Pratchett based literature.(Discworld novels)

Lynne
October 3rd 06, 10:08 PM
wrote:
> Lynne wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >What am I supposed to do? Buy mice for her to
> > > chase, torture, interrogate, and kill?
> >
> > Let me borrow her. My 3 year old, Rudy, who we brought home from the
> > woods completely feral at the age of ~4 months has taken domestication
> > to the extreme and I had to set mouse traps this year...
>
> Where are you? I may have to go overseas for a while. Near Pennsylvania?

Bring her on down to Louisville, Kentucky! We'd spoil her, though. =)

Matthew
October 3rd 06, 10:47 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
>> Lynne wrote:
>> >
>> > Let me borrow her. My 3 year old, Rudy, who we brought home from the
>> > woods completely feral at the age of ~4 months has taken domestication
>> > to the extreme and I had to set mouse traps this year...
>>
>> Where are you? I may have to go overseas for a while. Near Pennsylvania?
>
> Bring her on down to Louisville, Kentucky! We'd spoil her, though. =)

Good old Kentucky girl

How I miss my home state, the mountains, the different season all we get
in Florida is palm trees. nearly dead on the road and hurricanes

meeee
October 3rd 06, 11:40 PM
"Lightwell" > wrote in message
> [...]
> some of them do it some not.
>
> Hey -this guy really has persona, guts, self-esteem whatever you will
> call it.
> And he seems to have a lot of fun. I think he would really be unhappy
> if someone deprived him of his style of life. Congratulations for this
> wonderful cat!
>
> It is not clear that this cat would loose a fight with a fox - cats are
> dangerous especially if they have an attitude. O.K. - Life out there is
> dangerous. But some prefer to die in battle than dieing on a sofa. But
> I believe your cat needs the life he choose and that he is not at all
> stupid and would run like hell if fortune would change.
>
> Thank you for putting these pictures in my mind. I laughed a lot.
>
> P.S.He reminds me intensely of Greebo - Nanny Ogg`s cat.
> This is Terry Pratchett based literature.(Discworld novels)

Lol Mee too!! I looove Discworld.....hope he keeps writing 'em.
And pratchett alway's has the best cats in his books.

Lightwell
October 4th 06, 01:59 PM
meeee schrieb:

> [...]
> > call it.
> > And he seems to have a lot of fun. I think he would really be unhappy
> > if someone deprived him of his style of life. Congratulations for this
> > wonderful cat!
> >
> > It is not clear that this cat would loose a fight with a fox - cats are
> > dangerous especially if they have an attitude. O.K. - Life out there is
> > dangerous. But some prefer to die in battle than dieing on a sofa. But
> > I believe your cat needs the life he choose and that he is not at all
> > stupid and would run like hell if fortune would change.
> >
> > Thank you for putting these pictures in my mind. I laughed a lot.
> >
> > P.S.He reminds me intensely of Greebo - Nanny Ogg`s cat.
> > This is Terry Pratchett based literature.(Discworld novels)
> >

> Lol Mee too!! I looove Discworld.....hope he keeps writing 'em.
> And pratchett alway's has the best cats in his books.

Very nice to have found another Pratchett-addict. :-)
Best writer ever ( I mean it)

meeee
October 5th 06, 12:10 AM
"Lightwell" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> meeee schrieb:
>
>> "Lightwell" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > Great cat! Loved to read about him.
>> > I have myself 7 cats, male and female, all neutered, all outdoor and
>> > indoor cats.
>> > Can do what they want. And some are hunting some are not and some are
>> > eating their mice some don`t. I frequently find mice heads on my
>> > kitchen floor and other remains. <shudder>
>> > Means the hunting urge is not necessarily to disappear after neutering.
>> > Agreed - the behaviour of your cat is outstanding, he seems to be more
>> > than a tom-cat, neutered or not. I love his attitude. I found out with
>> > my cats that after neutering some of them kept more male behaviour as
>> > others.
>> > And it seems they keep more male behaviours the older they are at
>> > neutering time.
>> > It is quite normal when they, even after neutering, still mark their
>> > territory. After all it is one of their strongest needs - to make
>> > clear who owns that area. But fortunately after the hormon change
>> > through neutering the stuff doesn`t stink anymore that much.And also -
>> > some of them do it some not.
>> >
>> > Hey -this guy really has persona, guts, self-esteem whatever you will
>> > call it.
>> > And he seems to have a lot of fun. I think he would really be unhappy
>> > if someone deprived him of his style of life. Congratulations for this
>> > wonderful cat!
>> >
>> > It is not clear that this cat would loose a fight with a fox - cats are
>> > dangerous especially if they have an attitude. O.K. - Life out there is
>> > dangerous. But some prefer to die in battle than dieing on a sofa. But
>> > I believe your cat needs the life he choose and that he is not at all
>> > stupid and would run like hell if fortune would change.
>> >
>> > Thank you for putting these pictures in my mind. I laughed a lot.
>> >
>> > P.S.He reminds me intensely of Greebo - Nanny Ogg`s cat.
>> > This is Terry Pratchett based literature.(Discworld novels)
>> >

>> Lol Mee too!! I looove Discworld.....hope he keeps writing 'em.
>> And pratchett alway's has the best cats in his books.
>
> Very nice to have found another Pratchett-addict. :-)
> Best writer ever ( I mean it)

Absolutely...I only have a few (there are so many) but I have taken to
prowling the local library with a hungry expression, and pouncing on any
pratchetts I discover then hoarding them for weeks until they send me nasty
letters. It's such a feeling of triumph when they get a new one....

October 5th 06, 12:33 AM
Lynne wrote:
> wrote:
> > Lynne wrote:
> > >
> > > Let me borrow her. My 3 year old, Rudy, who we brought home from the
> > > woods completely feral at the age of ~4 months has taken domestication
> > > to the extreme and I had to set mouse traps this year...
> >
> > Where are you? I may have to go overseas for a while. Near Pennsylvania?
>
> Bring her on down to Louisville, Kentucky! We'd spoil her, though. =)

Thanks. She's spoilable. All white with a few black spots. Has claws
and teeth but pretty good inside. Does not scratch and knock things off
desks and tables. Talks a bit but rarely curses. Very cute. If I have
to go to Iraq, I'll let you know.

Lynne
October 5th 06, 12:39 AM
wrote:
> Lynne wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > Where are you? I may have to go overseas for a while. Near Pennsylvania?
> >
> > Bring her on down to Louisville, Kentucky! We'd spoil her, though. =)
>
> Thanks. She's spoilable. All white with a few black spots. Has claws
> and teeth but pretty good inside. Does not scratch and knock things off
> desks and tables. Talks a bit but rarely curses. Very cute. If I have
> to go to Iraq, I'll let you know.

Oh, Iraq... I hope you don't have to go. Even though I was kidding
before, I would gladly watch your kitty for as long as you needed. I
can even provide references! My cats are indoor cats, though (with
claws!). I live on a busy street so I don't want to risk them getting
flattened, or worse.

I can promise lots of mice and bugs for her to hunt, though!