PDA

View Full Version : Cat acne

Brian Link
October 3rd 06, 01:49 AM
Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
seems to get this wound back.

It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.

Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
damaging substances that we can think of.

Thanks for any tips.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Wendy
October 3rd 06, 02:39 AM
How often do you wash his bowl? Bowl gets greasy, chin gets greasy, chin
breaks out.

Wash the bowls frequently, keep his chin clean and if it doesn't clear up
you can use benzoil peroxide (2%) available at the drug store in with the
acne medications. Read the labels though

"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.
>
> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

blkcatgal
October 3rd 06, 04:35 AM
My vet recommends cleaning the affected acne area with something like
phisoderm (sp?).

Sue

"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.
>
> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Judy
October 3rd 06, 05:10 AM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.

> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

Here's a tip - if you're worried take him to the vet for a proper
diagnosis. No one in this ng is qualified to tell you anything more.

-L.
October 3rd 06, 06:39 AM
Brian Link wrote:
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.
>
> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.

Depends on what the lesion is. It could be Eosiniphilic Granuloma
complex (EGC), it could be kitty acne, although kitty acne usually
presents as a group of blocked pores - like black heads, it could be a
cyst, or it could be a wound from playing. If it reoccurs in the same
place, it is most likely ECG or a cyst. See a vet if it bothers the
cat. You can always clean it with a mild, unscented soap (like
Phisoderm, which someone else mentioned) and clean it *once* with
peroxide, to see if that helps dry up the wound. DO NOT use peroxide
repeatedly as it kills new tissue. Alternately you can use the
"no-sting" antiseptic from Bactine which contains benzalkonium
chloride, or use just a plain sterile saline wash (like sterile saline
for opthalmic use, with no preservatives). If it doesn't look better
after cleaning in a couple days, then see a vet.

-L.

Buddy's Mom
October 3rd 06, 11:03 AM
My Maine Coon has the same thing. One big zit in the middle of his
lower lip popped up last week. I have tried hydrogen peroxide and that
didn't make it better. He has no plastic dishes and I wash the ones he
uses at least once a day. He has had smaller ones in the past, but
usually two or three at a time, not just one. He doesn't go outside
and is the only pet. He has a vet appointment this afternoon. Wish I
knew how to prevent this stuff!

Brian Link wrote:
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.
>
> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Spot
October 3rd 06, 02:33 PM
My one cat as he got older got sloppier as he ate. I just washed his chin
off for him on a daily basis and it eliminated the problem. Once you have
it healed just a quick wash with a wet paper towel should do it.

Celeste

"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.
>
> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Rene S.
October 9th 06, 07:15 PM
Brian Link wrote:
> Our 12-year old, maine-coonish moggie has a small wound on his chin
> again this Fall. In the past, we'd removed his plastic food-dish,
> since we'd heard that plastic can cause allergic reactions. This
> seemed to work for a few years, but over the last couple years he
> seems to get this wound back.
>
> It seems to be healing by itself - not infected or running - but I'm
> wondering how to tell if this is an injury from the cat-play he and
> our Bengal regularly engage in, or some type of allergy.
>
> Tiger is an indoor cat, eating good food and sequestered from all
> damaging substances that we can think of.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

My Tucker seems to get cat acne once or twice per year for no apparent
reason. (Bowls are washed twice per day, no plastic, etc.) If you have
stainless steel bowls, try using ceramic. The steel seemed to make it
worse.

I tried every treatment I'd ever heard/read about and nothing
helped--and then my vet prescribed something called Pyobin (sp?). It's
a benzyol peroxide type of cream you apply to their chin once per day,
slowly backing off as it clears up. It works great and only cost about
$10.