PDA

View Full Version : Constipation and vomiting

Snittens
October 3rd 06, 06:08 PM
I will try to keep it brief, I do tend to ramble on.

My cat Ana, 2.5 yrs spayed female, had an episode of vomiting, lethargy, and
not eating about a month ago. Ana was diagnosed as a kitten as having a
liver shunt, after having seizures and then had a bile acids test, did not
have an ultrasound. The vet and I figured the vomiting was related to this,
so a bile acids test was scheduled and I was told to keep her separated over
the weekend. She improved over the weekend and seemed to be back to her old
self. I went ahead with the test (also ran general health check bloodwork)
and it showed nothing except slightly elevated white blood cell count. So,
vet thinks maybe she never really had the liver shunt since she's never had
any other problems and been a generally healthy cat.

Fast forward to last week. Vomiting returns. I separate her since that's
what seemed to help last time (vet thought maybe it was a cat social issue,
like she was getting elbowed out of the way at the feeding station). She
got anxious being separated and kept bolting. I let her out thinking it was
just stressing her out. Vomiting continues, I take her to the vet. Vet
does not feel any blockages, not sure why she's vomiting, gives me Laxatone
and gives Ana some fluids. This was Friday last week. Ana briefly perks up
and does not vomit for a day. I observe her eating. However by Monday she
is looking and acting sick, vomiting again. Xray shows constipation. I am
not sure why (husband answered the phone) but the vet does not want to give
an enema. Ana is sent home with Lactulose, I have her in the bathroom so I
can monitor input and output, also since she keeps vomiting, easier to clean
up. She does not seem bothered by the separation at this time. Vet said to
bring her back if not better by Thurs. I think that's too long and will
only give it till tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know a reason why the vet wouldn't relieve her constipation with
an enema? How long is too long for not eating? I am not certain, but I
think it's been three days. Should I start force feeding? I think she has
tried to eat a little, but it comes back up. I don't know if any of the
Lactulose is getting through the system with the vomiting. It's 2-3 times a
day.

I am very worried about my cat, but now that I know what the reason is for
the vomiting and not eating, I know that it can be resolved somehow. I just
don't know if I should take her back this instant and have them do something
about it, or if it's safe to give it a day and see if she poops on her own.
My concern is fatty liver disease from not eating.

Thanks,
Kelly

Buddy's Mom
October 3rd 06, 06:48 PM
I would see another vet.

Snittens wrote:
> I will try to keep it brief, I do tend to ramble on.
>
> My cat Ana, 2.5 yrs spayed female, had an episode of vomiting, lethargy, and
> not eating about a month ago. Ana was diagnosed as a kitten as having a
> liver shunt, after having seizures and then had a bile acids test, did not
> have an ultrasound. The vet and I figured the vomiting was related to this,
> so a bile acids test was scheduled and I was told to keep her separated over
> the weekend. She improved over the weekend and seemed to be back to her old
> self. I went ahead with the test (also ran general health check bloodwork)
> and it showed nothing except slightly elevated white blood cell count. So,
> vet thinks maybe she never really had the liver shunt since she's never had
> any other problems and been a generally healthy cat.
>
> Fast forward to last week. Vomiting returns. I separate her since that's
> what seemed to help last time (vet thought maybe it was a cat social issue,
> like she was getting elbowed out of the way at the feeding station). She
> got anxious being separated and kept bolting. I let her out thinking it was
> just stressing her out. Vomiting continues, I take her to the vet. Vet
> does not feel any blockages, not sure why she's vomiting, gives me Laxatone
> and gives Ana some fluids. This was Friday last week. Ana briefly perks up
> and does not vomit for a day. I observe her eating. However by Monday she
> is looking and acting sick, vomiting again. Xray shows constipation. I am
> not sure why (husband answered the phone) but the vet does not want to give
> an enema. Ana is sent home with Lactulose, I have her in the bathroom so I
> can monitor input and output, also since she keeps vomiting, easier to clean
> up. She does not seem bothered by the separation at this time. Vet said to
> bring her back if not better by Thurs. I think that's too long and will
> only give it till tomorrow morning.
>
> Does anyone know a reason why the vet wouldn't relieve her constipation with
> an enema? How long is too long for not eating? I am not certain, but I
> think it's been three days. Should I start force feeding? I think she has
> tried to eat a little, but it comes back up. I don't know if any of the
> Lactulose is getting through the system with the vomiting. It's 2-3 times a
> day.
>
> I am very worried about my cat, but now that I know what the reason is for
> the vomiting and not eating, I know that it can be resolved somehow. I just
> don't know if I should take her back this instant and have them do something
> about it, or if it's safe to give it a day and see if she poops on her own.
> My concern is fatty liver disease from not eating.
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly

The Other Mike
October 3rd 06, 07:44 PM
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:08:47 -0400, "Snittens"
> wrote:

>Does anyone know a reason why the vet wouldn't relieve her constipation with
>an enema? How long is too long for not eating? I am not certain, but I
>think it's been three days. Should I start force feeding? I think she has
>tried to eat a little, but it comes back up. I don't know if any of the
>Lactulose is getting through the system with the vomiting. It's 2-3 times a
>day.

Have 2 cats that recently have gone through the same symptoms you're
describing. Once was just constipated and needed 2 enemas and has
been fine since. Lactulose didn't do a thing for him...he'd just
throw it up about an hour after giving it to him. Our other cat just
got diagnosed with colon cancer after a week long fit with
constipation and numerous enemas and vomiting. I agree with the other
poster...get a different vet. I've found over the last 2 months (we
had 1 cat put down, 1 with colon cancer and the last with a cancerous
tumor on his tail) that vets (at least our vets) aren't aggressive
enough. In particular, the cat that just was diagnosed with colon
cancer...after 9 trips to the vet and 5 enemas over the course of 2
weeks, I had enough and didn't want to hear the word "lactulose" or
"fluids" anymore and pushed for more tests to be done. If my cat
didn't eat for 3 days, I'd be in the emergency vet clinic demanding
more tests to be done.

Buddy's Mom
October 3rd 06, 09:17 PM
The Other Mike is right on! Get another vet pronto or get thee to the
emergency room. Your kitty has suffered long enough.

The Other Mike wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:08:47 -0400, "Snittens"
> > wrote:
>

> >Does anyone know a reason why the vet wouldn't relieve her constipation with
> >an enema? How long is too long for not eating? I am not certain, but I
> >think it's been three days. Should I start force feeding? I think she has
> >tried to eat a little, but it comes back up. I don't know if any of the
> >Lactulose is getting through the system with the vomiting. It's 2-3 times a
> >day.
>
> Have 2 cats that recently have gone through the same symptoms you're
> describing. Once was just constipated and needed 2 enemas and has
> been fine since. Lactulose didn't do a thing for him...he'd just
> throw it up about an hour after giving it to him. Our other cat just
> got diagnosed with colon cancer after a week long fit with
> constipation and numerous enemas and vomiting. I agree with the other
> poster...get a different vet. I've found over the last 2 months (we
> had 1 cat put down, 1 with colon cancer and the last with a cancerous
> tumor on his tail) that vets (at least our vets) aren't aggressive
> enough. In particular, the cat that just was diagnosed with colon
> cancer...after 9 trips to the vet and 5 enemas over the course of 2
> weeks, I had enough and didn't want to hear the word "lactulose" or
> "fluids" anymore and pushed for more tests to be done. If my cat
> didn't eat for 3 days, I'd be in the emergency vet clinic demanding
> more tests to be done.

Rhonda
October 4th 06, 05:26 AM
Kelly,

I'm sorry your cat is going through this.

Our cat, Sweeter, just went through some operations this summer due to
constipation.

If they get too constipated (and it can happen for several reasons,)
they can be so backed up that it stretches the colon and the fecal
matter cannot fit out through the anus. Also, the colon looses it's
elasticity and can no longer push the stuff through.

Our cat went to the vet daily for a week and got 2-3 enemas a day plus
was on lactulose and fluids. This helps some cats, but it didn't work
for her.

Also, if they get too much fecal matter in them it is like a poison in
their system and that's why they throw up. They don't want to eat much
because they are so backed up.

Anyway, google this group and the web for "megacolon." You may know
about it already, but that is what Sweeter ended up with.

She had to have her colon removed, and quickly. Unfortunately, she was
the surgeon's first case to get a septic infection from the surgery
(intestine sutures had loosened internally,) so she had a second
operation. She is now happy and healthy again -- she's 11 years old and
is playing like a kitten. She has a new lease on life.

Good luck with your cat. Does the vet have you giving fluids at home?
That's one thing we did along with the other treatment.

Rhonda

Snittens wrote:
> Does anyone know a reason why the vet wouldn't relieve her constipation with
> an enema? How long is too long for not eating? I am not certain, but I
> think it's been three days. Should I start force feeding? I think she has
> tried to eat a little, but it comes back up. I don't know if any of the
> Lactulose is getting through the system with the vomiting. It's 2-3 times a
> day.
>
> I am very worried about my cat, but now that I know what the reason is for
> the vomiting and not eating, I know that it can be resolved somehow. I just
> don't know if I should take her back this instant and have them do something
> about it, or if it's safe to give it a day and see if she poops on her own.
> My concern is fatty liver disease from not eating.
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly

-L.
October 4th 06, 05:49 AM
Snittens wrote:
> I will try to keep it brief, I do tend to ramble on.

She needs an enema and/or a manual de-fecaling (don't ask - it's
exactly like it sounds). She should also probably have fluids at home.
I'm not sure why he didn't want to enema her. :/

-L.

Snittens
October 4th 06, 05:28 PM
Somewhat of an update:
Ana is now at the vet's and will be spending the night. The vet will get
her hydrated, run bloodwork, and give her an enema. I wish she had done
this on Monday, hoping she doesn't have any lasting damage from this episode
and this is a one-off thing.

-Kelly

"Snittens" > wrote in message
>I will try to keep it brief, I do tend to ramble on.

-L.
October 4th 06, 10:45 PM
Snittens wrote:
> Somewhat of an update:
> Ana is now at the vet's and will be spending the night. The vet will get
> her hydrated, run bloodwork, and give her an enema. I wish she had done
> this on Monday, hoping she doesn't have any lasting damage from this episode
> and this is a one-off thing.
>
> -Kelly

Keep us posted, Kelly. he was probably hoping she'd poop on her own.
Glad you took her in.

-L.