PDA

View Full Version : Help for Cat when kitten dies

fourdogs
October 4th 06, 03:19 AM
My cat had a litter of kittens. One of her kittens died today. She appears
to be searching for him, and neglecting her other kittens. Does anyone have
any advice for helping her through this?

John Ross Mc Master
October 4th 06, 03:34 AM
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 02:19:12 GMT, "fourdogs" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My cat had a litter of kittens. One of her kittens died today. She appears
>to be searching for him, and neglecting her other kittens. Does anyone have
>any advice for helping her through this?

She's a good mother. You be cautious, OK? Keep her in the same room as
the rest of her kittens. Don't allow her to wander. Confine her to one
room.

Rhonda
October 4th 06, 05:40 AM
Ours lost a kitten but he was 7 weeks old, so we were well into weaning.

The kitten must have gone quickly. Did the mom have time to realize that
it was gone? I mean did you leave the kitten there for awhile so she
would know?

I haven't gone through what you are -- but do your best to keep her
attention on the kittens. Can you sit with them and call her over and
pet her until she lays down? I used to be able to pet the mom until she
would sprawl out, then I'd put the runt up to her stomach and she'd let
him get an extra meal. I just kept her busy by giving her attention.

If she's still neglecting the kittens tomorrow you might get advice from
the vet about what to do, maybe even hand-feed the kittens with KMR for
a meal or two if she's not letting them nurse.

Let us know how it's going,

Rhonda