PDA

View Full Version : Food Untouched

Ruby Tuesday
October 4th 06, 08:46 PM
I always give my Siamese cat the best food I can get my hands on. Every
weekend he gets Wellness crunchies as a treat, which he loves. He loves
this so much in fact, that after it's gone, and I give him wet food, he
usually lets it sit....and sit. Last time this happened, the wet food sat
in his dish for over a day (a day and a half in fact), and got dry on the
outside. Is this ok, to let him eat food that's gone dry? Personally, I
think so, but I'm wondering what others might have as feedback.

Thanks in advance,

- Ruby Tuesday

Gail
October 4th 06, 09:59 PM
I would throw it out and give fresh food.
Gail
"Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
>I always give my Siamese cat the best food I can get my hands on. Every
> weekend he gets Wellness crunchies as a treat, which he loves. He loves
> this so much in fact, that after it's gone, and I give him wet food, he
> usually lets it sit....and sit. Last time this happened, the wet food sat
> in his dish for over a day (a day and a half in fact), and got dry on the
> outside. Is this ok, to let him eat food that's gone dry? Personally, I
> think so, but I'm wondering what others might have as feedback.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Ruby Tuesday

22brix
October 5th 06, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't leave out canned food that long--it can spoil fairly quickly,
especially in warm conditions. I certainly wouldn't want food that had been
left out that long!

"Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
>I always give my Siamese cat the best food I can get my hands on. Every
> weekend he gets Wellness crunchies as a treat, which he loves. He loves
> this so much in fact, that after it's gone, and I give him wet food, he
> usually lets it sit....and sit. Last time this happened, the wet food sat
> in his dish for over a day (a day and a half in fact), and got dry on the
> outside. Is this ok, to let him eat food that's gone dry? Personally, I
> think so, but I'm wondering what others might have as feedback.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Ruby Tuesday

dgk
October 5th 06, 01:19 PM
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:49:57 -0700, "22brix" >
wrote:

>I wouldn't leave out canned food that long--it can spoil fairly quickly,
>especially in warm conditions. I certainly wouldn't want food that had been
>left out that long!

I put down food in the morning and then go off to work. When I get the
can for the evening feeding, the boys sometimes go to work on what was
left from the morning, before I take it away from them.

The other day I put out some salmon on a plate in the kitchen for them
at dinner time and they sniffed it and walked away. Being a non-neat
sort of housekeeper, it just sat there overnight. The next morning it
was still there, but a few minutes later I noticed that most of it was
gone. The boys decided to eat it after it dried out a bit.

They're cats. I think they bury stuff out on the velt and dig it up
and eat it later. Some big cat hauls a carcass into a tree for later
consumption.

I go to Microsoft's NY headquarters a few times a month for various
user group meetings, and inevitably some earlier group has left excess
food around, and, being programmers, we eat it. We don't get sick or
die. I think we're tougher than it appears, and cats are tougher than
us.

Gail Futoran
October 5th 06, 02:01 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I would throw it out and give fresh food.
> Gail
> "Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
>>I always give my Siamese cat the best food I can get my hands on. Every
>> weekend he gets Wellness crunchies as a treat, which he loves. He loves
>> this so much in fact, that after it's gone, and I give him wet food, he
>> usually lets it sit....and sit. Last time this happened, the wet food
>> sat
>> in his dish for over a day (a day and a half in fact), and got dry on the
>> outside. Is this ok, to let him eat food that's gone dry? Personally, I
>> think so, but I'm wondering what others might have as feedback.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> - Ruby Tuesday

From what I've read in cat books and online, you shouldn't leave moist food
out longer than an hour or two to avoid bacteria growing on the food. I
take up leftover canned food within about 45 minutes - assuming there's any
left!

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

22brix
October 5th 06, 04:42 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:49:57 -0700, "22brix" >
> wrote:
>
>>I wouldn't leave out canned food that long--it can spoil fairly quickly,
>>especially in warm conditions. I certainly wouldn't want food that had
>>been
>>left out that long!
>>

> I put down food in the morning and then go off to work. When I get the
> can for the evening feeding, the boys sometimes go to work on what was
> left from the morning, before I take it away from them.
>
> The other day I put out some salmon on a plate in the kitchen for them
> at dinner time and they sniffed it and walked away. Being a non-neat
> sort of housekeeper, it just sat there overnight. The next morning it
> was still there, but a few minutes later I noticed that most of it was
> gone. The boys decided to eat it after it dried out a bit.
>
> They're cats. I think they bury stuff out on the velt and dig it up
> and eat it later. Some big cat hauls a carcass into a tree for later
> consumption.
>
> I go to Microsoft's NY headquarters a few times a month for various
> user group meetings, and inevitably some earlier group has left excess
> food around, and, being programmers, we eat it. We don't get sick or
> die. I think we're tougher than it appears, and cats are tougher than
> us.

That may be true to a certain extent but in many if not most instances of
food poisoning outbreaks it's because food has been stored at an
inappropriate temperature, namely too warm. Some bacteria grow very quickly
and you can get very sick. I work as a public health microbiologist so I
have a bias here but it's drummed into us to keep certain foods
refrigerated. We see the results of food poisoning and it ain't pretty!!
Nausea, vomiting & diarrhea like you wouldn't believe, stomach cramps--I've
heard people say they'd rather be dead!

Catjoy via CatKB.com
October 5th 06, 05:54 PM
Canned cat food spoils rather quickly, and I would definitely throw it out
after, max, several hours - if not sooner. Meats in general spoil quickly
when left at room temperature.
As for the Wellness crunchies, I would limit the amount kitty is getting, and
give them to him only *after* he is finished his canned meal.

Ruby Tuesday wrote:
>I always give my Siamese cat the best food I can get my hands on. Every
>weekend he gets Wellness crunchies as a treat, which he loves. He loves
>this so much in fact, that after it's gone, and I give him wet food, he
>usually lets it sit....and sit. Last time this happened, the wet food sat
>in his dish for over a day (a day and a half in fact), and got dry on the
>outside. Is this ok, to let him eat food that's gone dry? Personally, I
>think so, but I'm wondering what others might have as feedback.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>- Ruby Tuesday

October 6th 06, 05:39 AM
It stays out until the next meal around here. Sometimes the cats work
on it gradually: sometimes they won't touch it after the first 2 hours
or so. Don't forget they have excellent senses of smell and can
probably detect spoiled food faster than we can. I'd have to agree.
that they don't have the same threshold as us. You can leave it out and
let them figure out what they want to eat and what they don't. Haven't
had any problems doing it this way for 10+ years.