PDA

View Full Version : Spayed female with enlarged nipples

Mike S.
October 5th 06, 07:20 AM
I have a 2 y/o female cat that was spayed when she was 10 months old
(she was a stray). Recently, I noticed that her back two nipples are
bigger than the rest. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was
pregnant, but she can't be. She is slightly pudgy and has had weight
problems since she was spayed. Although, I think most of the weight is
flab on her underbelly. The vet and I agreed on giving her a little
over 1/3 cup of dry food per day to handle the weight issue.

Any ideas on why two of her nipples are a bit enlarged? They're not
that big but when I first felt them, I thought they were ticks despite
the fact that she is not allowed outdoors.

October 5th 06, 12:59 PM
Mike S. wrote:
> I have a 2 y/o female cat that was spayed when she was 10 months old
> (she was a stray). Recently, I noticed that her back two nipples are
> bigger than the rest. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was
> pregnant, but she can't be. She is slightly pudgy and has had weight
> problems since she was spayed. Although, I think most of the weight is
> flab on her underbelly. The vet and I agreed on giving her a little
> over 1/3 cup of dry food per day to handle the weight issue.
>
> Any ideas on why two of her nipples are a bit enlarged? They're not
> that big but when I first felt them, I thought they were ticks despite
> the fact that she is not allowed outdoors.

Kathy Morgan
October 6th 06, 06:58 AM
Mike S. > wrote:

> I have a 2 y/o female cat that was spayed when she was 10 months old
> (she was a stray). Recently, I noticed that her back two nipples are
> bigger than the rest. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was
> pregnant, but she can't be. She is slightly pudgy and has had weight
> problems since she was spayed. Although, I think most of the weight is
> flab on her underbelly. The vet and I agreed on giving her a little
> over 1/3 cup of dry food per day to handle the weight issue.

I think that enlargement is probably mostly from being overweight, but
you should keep an eye on them for any further enlargement. FWIW, I
have a couple of neutered tom cats who look like they could be pregnant.

Boy, that sure doesn't sound like much food, but of course it depends on
how large the cat is and how much it has been eating. Phil, one of the
more knowledgeable posters here, recommends not reducing a cat's food by
more than 1/4 at a time. Being overweight is harmful, but too-rapid
weight loss can also be harmful.

--
Kathy - help for new users at <http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/>
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at <http://www.gnksa.org/>

cybercat
October 6th 06, 04:54 PM
"Kathy Morgan" > wrote >

>Phil, one of the
> more knowledgeable posters here, recommends not reducing a cat's food by
> more than 1/4 at a time. Being overweight is harmful, but too-rapid
> weight loss can also be harmful.

My vet said the same thing, after I had heard Phil say it. I reduced
my cat's premium canned food-only diet this way and she lost
nine pounds over a year and a half--she was 18 pounds, and is
now about nine. She is like a new cat at 12.