PDA

View Full Version : Help! First-time cat owner has yucky-eyed kitty!

Hazelbee
October 6th 06, 03:32 AM
Hi, I've never posted before, but I am very worried! I took in a young
kitten we found on the side of the road. It looked a mess, but I
thought it would be okay after a good bath. It's now two days later
and the kitten's eyes continually run, her face and paws and forelegs
are covered with mucus, and she is now missing some fur on her face. I
am terrified that she is infectious -- I adopted two cats only two
weeks ago and I don't want to see them hurt. Any advice?!

Matthew
October 6th 06, 03:35 AM
VET VISIT ASAP
"Hazelbee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, I've never posted before, but I am very worried! I took in a young
> kitten we found on the side of the road. It looked a mess, but I
> thought it would be okay after a good bath. It's now two days later
> and the kitten's eyes continually run, her face and paws and forelegs
> are covered with mucus, and she is now missing some fur on her face. I
> am terrified that she is infectious -- I adopted two cats only two
> weeks ago and I don't want to see them hurt. Any advice?!

blkcatgal
October 6th 06, 04:32 AM
Have the kitten checked by a vet asap.
Sue

"Hazelbee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, I've never posted before, but I am very worried! I took in a young
> kitten we found on the side of the road. It looked a mess, but I
> thought it would be okay after a good bath. It's now two days later
> and the kitten's eyes continually run, her face and paws and forelegs
> are covered with mucus, and she is now missing some fur on her face. I
> am terrified that she is infectious -- I adopted two cats only two
> weeks ago and I don't want to see them hurt. Any advice?!

Wendy
October 6th 06, 02:12 PM
"Hazelbee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, I've never posted before, but I am very worried! I took in a young
> kitten we found on the side of the road. It looked a mess, but I
> thought it would be okay after a good bath. It's now two days later
> and the kitten's eyes continually run, her face and paws and forelegs
> are covered with mucus, and she is now missing some fur on her face. I
> am terrified that she is infectious -- I adopted two cats only two
> weeks ago and I don't want to see them hurt. Any advice?!

Kitty needs to see the vet. She probably needs an antibiotic and eye
ointment. Use a warm wet wash cloth to keep her face as clean as possible.
It's probable that the mucus is irritating the skin and causing the hair
loss on the face. She is infectious at this point so I would continue to
isolate her until you get this resolved. It's just like with people with a
cold - very easy to pass on. Wash you hands well after visiting with her.
You might also consider having a large shirt or something similar you can
slip on over your clothes. You could carry the organism causing this on your
hands or clothing. Your other two cats are still settling in to your home
and their resistance might be down from the stress of the move. It's nothing
that can't be handled with some common sense and a trip to the vet. The two
you adopted recently have been to the vet and gotten their immunizations -
yes? That is imperative if you are taking in strays.

You're a good person to be willing to help this sick girl.

Rhonda
October 6th 06, 05:29 PM
An eye infection in a kitten can threaten it's vision if not treated, so
please take her to the vet today. You probably want to have her checked
by a vet anyway, if you have not yet. She needs to have the normal tests
for Felv, etc., before you put her with your other cats. She probably
needs to be wormed yet too.

Let us know how she's doing.

Rhonda

Hazelbee wrote:
> Hi, I've never posted before, but I am very worried! I took in a young
> kitten we found on the side of the road. It looked a mess, but I
> thought it would be okay after a good bath. It's now two days later
> and the kitten's eyes continually run, her face and paws and forelegs
> are covered with mucus, and she is now missing some fur on her face. I
> am terrified that she is infectious -- I adopted two cats only two
> weeks ago and I don't want to see them hurt. Any advice?!

Catjoy via CatKB.com
October 6th 06, 09:25 PM
The kitten's symptoms you describe should not be sat on. Please take her to
the vet *ASAP*, and keep us posted.