PDA

View Full Version : Person adopts kitten from shelter later returns it saying it "got big"

stonej
October 6th 06, 02:31 PM
True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

Wendy
October 6th 06, 02:33 PM
Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only liked
little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one. Needless to say
they didn't get one from us.

"stonej" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
> but later returned it
> saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
> Little kittens are awfully cute
> that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
> kittens forever.
>
> What a world.

Gail Futoran
October 6th 06, 02:55 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
> Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only liked
> little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one. Needless to
> say they didn't get one from us.
>

> "stonej" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
>> but later returned it
>> saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
>> Little kittens are awfully cute
>> that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
>> kittens forever.
>>
>> What a world.

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in earlier
looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
young enough! Strange...

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

The Polish-Kraut
October 6th 06, 03:17 PM

>I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
>three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in earlier
>looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
>young enough! Strange...

If someone is adopting out 3 weeks old kittens they should be checked
out themselves. 3 weeks is too young to be putting kittens up for
adoption.

Magic Mood JeepŠ
October 6th 06, 06:06 PM
In ,
Gail Futoran purred:
> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>> Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only
>> liked little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one.
>> Needless to say they didn't get one from us.
>>

>> "stonej" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
>>> but later returned it
>>> saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well
>>> hello!! Little kittens are awfully cute
>>> that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
>>> kittens forever.
>>>
>>> What a world.
>
> I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had
> several three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had
> come in earlier looking for young kittens but rejected the three week
> old kittens as not young enough! Strange...
>
> Gail F.
> Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Unfortunately, they were probably looking for snake food or bait for the
pitt bull... :(

Wendy
October 6th 06, 06:31 PM
"Gail Futoran" > wrote in message
> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>> Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only
>> liked
>> little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one. Needless to
>> say they didn't get one from us.
>>

>> "stonej" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
>>> but later returned it
>>> saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
>>> Little kittens are awfully cute
>>> that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
>>> kittens forever.
>>>
>>> What a world.
>
> I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
> three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in
> earlier
> looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
> young enough! Strange...
>
> Gail F.
> Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

OMG who in their right mind adopts out 3 week old kittens. They shouldn't
even be weaned at that age!

Gail Futoran
October 6th 06, 09:02 PM
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Gail Futoran purred:
>> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>>> Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only
>>> liked little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one.
>>> Needless to say they didn't get one from us.
>>>

>>> "stonej" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>> I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had
>> several three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had
>> come in earlier looking for young kittens but rejected the three week
>> old kittens as not young enough! Strange...
>>
>> Gail F.
>> Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
>
> Unfortunately, they were probably looking for snake food or bait for the
> pitt bull... :(

Yeah. My comment to the shelter staff was: "What, where they looking for
python food?" Which was probably not a nice thing to say, but realistic.

Gail F.

Gail Futoran
October 6th 06, 09:02 PM
"The Polish-Kraut" > wrote in message

>>I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
>>three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in
>>earlier
>>looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
>>young enough! Strange...
>>

> If someone is adopting out 3 weeks old kittens they should be checked
> out themselves. 3 weeks is too young to be putting kittens up for
> adoption.

Let me clarify: The shelter wasn't adopting out those kittens because they
were too young. The shelter personnel recounted the story because they were
as dumbfounded as I was that someone would want kittens even younger.

Having said that, however, many humane societies around where I live
function without facilities, and instead use foster homes. So "adopting
out" even young kittens to a home where they know the kittens will be
properly cared for is sometimes the only way the kittens will survive.

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
Southcentral TX USA

MaryL
October 6th 06, 11:50 PM
"stonej" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
> but later returned it
> saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
> Little kittens are awfully cute
> that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
> kittens forever.
>
> What a world.

Yes, and young cats eventually become elderly cats (at least, we hope so).
People should carefully consider whether they can and will take care of all
the needs of their furbabies as they age. The shelter I adopted Duffy from
had some specific questions on the adoption questionnaire asking how I would
care from him if he became sick and as he aged. I think that's commendable!
Some people resent what they see as "intrusive" questions, but I think they
are an absolute necessity.

MaryL