PDA

View Full Version : Good diet food?

Stacia
October 8th 06, 05:56 AM
We have three adult cats, one significantly overweight, and a 2nd one
gaining. We've tried Purina One weight control food but it doesn't seem
to help. Any suggestions for a good dry diet kibble? I've heard both
good and bad things about Iams, so I don't know what to think.

Stacia

-L.
October 8th 06, 07:12 AM
Stacia wrote:
> We have three adult cats, one significantly overweight, and a 2nd one
> gaining. We've tried Purina One weight control food but it doesn't seem
> to help. Any suggestions for a good dry diet kibble? I've heard both
> good and bad things about Iams, so I don't know what to think.
>
> Stacia

Your cat needs to be on a canned, meat-based diet, not a "weight
management" chow, which is mainly carbs. Google "cat" "diet" and
"weight management" and you will find some recommendations.

-L.

cybercat
October 8th 06, 08:27 AM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> We have three adult cats, one significantly overweight, and a 2nd one
> gaining. We've tried Purina One weight control food but it doesn't seem
> to help. Any suggestions for a good dry diet kibble? I've heard both
> good and bad things about Iams, so I don't know what to think.

If you want your cat to lose weight feed him/her quality canned food 12
hours apart. As I have written many times, my cat, 18 lbs and with a heart
condition, lost 9 pounds this way and has a new lease on life. She got obese
on free-fed Iams diet dry cat food.

Canned is just more satisfying to them--and you can see the difference in
their coat, eyes, and energy. The only reason to feed dry is convenience.

(It is true that Fancy Feast is not the easiest thing to face first thing in
the morning, but I have done yuckier things for love. (!))

Judy
October 9th 06, 02:56 AM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> We have three adult cats, one significantly overweight, and a 2nd one
> gaining. We've tried Purina One weight control food but it doesn't seem
> to help. Any suggestions for a good dry diet kibble? I've heard both
> good and bad things about Iams, so I don't know what to think.
>
> Stacia

How much exercise do you offer your cats? People can feed whatever diet food
they like, but if their cats aren't offered an opportunity to move around,
they will remain overweight.

Rene S.
October 10th 06, 03:36 PM
Stacia wrote:
> We have three adult cats, one significantly overweight, and a 2nd one
> gaining. We've tried Purina One weight control food but it doesn't seem
> to help. Any suggestions for a good dry diet kibble? I've heard both
> good and bad things about Iams, so I don't know what to think.
>
> Stacia

I'm sorry to say that, from personal experience, no dry "diet" food I
gave my cat helped with weight loss. Most of them actually caused him
to *gain* weight. I tried the Hills r/d for an entire year, and he lost
a total of one ounce. (I wasn't cheating or giving him treats and
followed the recommended amount.)

I switched to a high-quality canned food and slowly, the weight came
off. Here's my web site on his weight loss for more information:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Feel free to email me for details.

Rene