PDA

View Full Version : cat howls when we goto bed


deepseawick
October 8th 06, 08:07 PM
My cat howls when we go to bed at night and will pick up a roll of
toilet paper or a roll of paper towls then he walks around the house
howling as loud as he can. he only does this when we go to bed though.
Does anyone have any idea why he does this? If I take away what ever he
has in his mouth he will go and get something else and drop it off in
our bedroom.
Or am I the only one with this problem? he also paces at night he has
this route he goes every night. BTW he is an indoor cat and has never
been an outdoor cat.
any help or advice i could get would be great.
thanks
Doug

Matthew
October 8th 06, 08:16 PM
"deepseawick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My cat howls when we go to bed at night and will pick up a roll of
> toilet paper or a roll of paper towls then he walks around the house
> howling as loud as he can. he only does this when we go to bed though.
> Does anyone have any idea why he does this? If I take away what ever he
> has in his mouth he will go and get something else and drop it off in
> our bedroom.
> Or am I the only one with this problem? he also paces at night he has
> this route he goes every night. BTW he is an indoor cat and has never
> been an outdoor cat.
> any help or advice i could get would be great.
> thanks
> Doug


Sounds like you have a mighty hunter there. IMO it is something to
actually to be proud of he or she is sharing their kill with you. But
the annoyance factor is what you need to deal with try some new toys
since it is grabbing items to bring to you. maybe feeding later than you
usually do. Take the furball in your room with you give him some extra
loving before bed time.

How about a second furball

You can punish them for being a cat this is what they do

Now they only thing I do need to ask is how old is the furball if it is a
little old it might be going senile

cybercat
October 8th 06, 08:40 PM
"Matthew" > wrote :
>
> Sounds like you have a mighty hunter there.

YES! My kitty does this with a rubber snake.

IMO it is something to
> actually to be proud of he or she is sharing their kill with you. But
> the annoyance factor is what you need to deal with try some new toys
> since it is grabbing items to bring to you. maybe feeding later than you
> usually do. Take the furball in your room with you give him some extra
> loving before bed time.
>

Also: put up the things he likes to conquer at bed time so he can't get
them.
While I praise Gracie every time she "kills" the snake while we are up, I
make sure the snake disappears before bed time.

deepseawick
October 8th 06, 08:54 PM
we have 2 cats and they both sleep with us at night. he is almost 7
years old.
he started the howling and "Hunting" when we moved into our new house 3
years ago.
we do put up this favorites at night. but he always seems to find
something else and if he can't find anything then he just Howls at the
top of his lungs while pacing.

Doug

October 8th 06, 09:41 PM
On 8 Oct 2006 12:07:51 -0700, "deepseawick" >
wrote:

>My cat howls when we go to bed at night and will pick up a roll of
>toilet paper or a roll of paper towls then he walks around the house
>howling as loud as he can. he only does this when we go to bed though.
>Does anyone have any idea why he does this? If I take away what ever he
>has in his mouth he will go and get something else and drop it off in
>our bedroom.
>Or am I the only one with this problem? he also paces at night he has
>this route he goes every night. BTW he is an indoor cat and has never
>been an outdoor cat.
>any help or advice i could get would be great.
>thanks

Mine does that every night. Normally with socks, though. We've got
it down to a routine. She comes in howling, dragging her sock, and I
say "What a good little huntress! Killed another evil sock-monster!",
and then she drops the sock and jumps up on the bed and settles down
for the night.

Rebecca

barb
October 8th 06, 09:44 PM
Let me guess. You lock him out of your room at night. Stop that.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
October 8th 06, 11:41 PM
> wrote
"What a good little huntress! Killed another evil sock-monster!",

We do this too, or, if she is way upstairs and we hear the howling, I might
look at my husband and say, "the snakes are really bad this year."



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

kucat
October 9th 06, 12:10 AM
Our cat Zoe howls every time we go to bed at night. Once the lights go out
she hauls out her little rubber ball and plops it in front of her.
Typically, she stops howling after 5-10 minutes and all goes quiet in our
household.



cybercat wrote:
> wrote
>"What a good little huntress! Killed another evil sock-monster!",
>
>We do this too, or, if she is way upstairs and we hear the howling, I might
>look at my husband and say, "the snakes are really bad this year."
>

cybercat
October 9th 06, 12:23 AM
"kucat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Our cat Zoe howls every time we go to bed at night. Once the lights go out
> she hauls out her little rubber ball and plops it in front of her.
> Typically, she stops howling after 5-10 minutes and all goes quiet in our
> household.
>
>
haha! I had no idea so many kitties do this! It is so cute.

deepseawick
October 9th 06, 05:45 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "kucat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > Our cat Zoe howls every time we go to bed at night. Once the lights go out
> > she hauls out her little rubber ball and plops it in front of her.
> > Typically, she stops howling after 5-10 minutes and all goes quiet in our
> > household.
> >
> >
> haha! I had no idea so many kitties do this! It is so cute.



cute but annoying at night. I too had no idea other cats did this I
thought my Kitty was the only psyco cat

Doug

Jim Vecchiola KR2T
October 9th 06, 08:52 PM
I have two cats, both are free to sleep with me. Vic always picks up his
favorite "tiger tail" and carries it around the upstairs howling and crying.
After a couple of minutes, he comes into the bedroom, jumps up onto the bed,
drops it at my feet, and curls up to go to sleep. He will not do this with
any other toys he has. If I hide the tiger tail, no howling! Glad to see so
many other cats have this "problem".

kr2t
"deepseawick" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> we have 2 cats and they both sleep with us at night. he is almost 7
> years old.
> he started the howling and "Hunting" when we moved into our new house 3
> years ago.
> we do put up this favorites at night. but he always seems to find
> something else and if he can't find anything then he just Howls at the
> top of his lungs while pacing.
>
> Doug
>

October 11th 06, 05:48 PM
This was a fun post to stumble upon. One of my cats, the one referred to as
"special," carries her favorite furry toys from her downstairs toybox into
my bedroom each and every night, making various YEOWLING sounds as she goes.
Each morning my task is to return the 8-10 treasures to her box so she can
start fresh the next evening. My vet suggested she was gifting me with toys
as a way of seeking attention. Since she and her sister enjoy attention
pretty much 24/7, I suspect it's more a instinctual hunting thing, although
she only caught her very first vole the other day (she's 8 y/o). Further,
this special cat steals my yarn balls and spends hours knitting together
most of the livingroom and kitchen furniture. She's very intent on her art
and it would be fun to capture by video, although she's camera shy.

The bio sister engages in none of this behavior and is an excellent hunter.
She's also very 'calm.'

Good to know there are "special others" out there as well.


"deepseawick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> cybercat wrote:
>> "kucat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> > Our cat Zoe howls every time we go to bed at night. Once the lights go
>> > out
>> > she hauls out her little rubber ball and plops it in front of her.
>> > Typically, she stops howling after 5-10 minutes and all goes quiet in
>> > our
>> > household.
>> >
>> >
>> haha! I had no idea so many kitties do this! It is so cute.
>
>
>
> cute but annoying at night. I too had no idea other cats did this I
> thought my Kitty was the only psyco cat
>
> Doug
>

cybercat
October 11th 06, 07:14 PM
> wrote

Since she and her sister enjoy attention
> pretty much 24/7, I suspect it's more a instinctual hunting thing,
> although she only caught her very first vole the other day (she's 8 y/o).


She loves you and she is certainly bringing you presents. My very
grateful little shelter cat does this all the time and I know very well
what it means. I've had several shelter cats, but only one that acts
this polite and grateful and eager to please, and she is the only one
that has done this with toys, "conquering" and presenting to me.

She even does it upstairs while I am down in the living room, I hear
her howling then she zips by and drops the snake at my feet.

It's precious. My great hunter, weighing in at 7 lbs soaking wet.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com