PDA

View Full Version : Steroid injections for colitis

Anny Middon
October 8th 06, 08:40 PM
Our cat, Rita, has colitis. In the past when she's exhibited symptoms we've
gotten oral medicine from the vet. Lately we haven't bothered doing this
since the time it takes to clear up seems to be the same with and without
the medicine.

The vet has had us try her with nutritional supplements, but Rita doesn't
like them. We can't mix them in her food, since she won't eat it with the
supplements mixed in. (Unfortunately, Jimmy [one of our other cats] isn't
so discriminating -- he'll eat what Rita won't touch.)

Our vet is now suggesting that Rita get steroid and B-12 injections every 6
months. We're concerned about possible long-term effects of this
medication. The vet said that diabetes is one worry with long-term
injections. She did a blood test on Rita who shows no sign of diabetes.

Rita is 6yo and a real sweetheart. She also has a little arthritis in her
spine, which the vet thinks is from a kitten injury that probably happened
before we adopted her. Apparently the steroids will help with the
arthritis, too.

We want Rita to be comfortable, but we also want her to be healthy for many
years to come. Anyone have any good data on the long-term effect of
steroids on cats?

Thanks,
Anny

Matthew
October 17th 06, 08:14 PM
Sorry did not see this post till today

Even if your cat becomes diabetic it is controllable. I have a diabetic
cat

Have you sought a second opinion for his colitis

You have to go with your gut feeling you furball is the most important.
If it helps I would do it specially if it make furball feel better

om...