PDA

View Full Version : Urinating, sometimes out of litter box

ensoul
October 9th 06, 01:31 AM
2 brothers year & half old, (neutered) they have 2 litter boxes, that
are scooped every day...no change in type of litter, no change in diet
(eating well), no change in thier behavior (being a bit rowdy but ppl
in here said it was normal)...they drink plently of fresh water I have
one of drinking foundations for them, playing well, loving

had box under my futon w/ tools for my van, got it out and it
stunk...sure enough urnine...threw the box away...washed all tools down
in baking soda, soapy water, and a little bleach

that was abt 2 weeks ago...today I go to get box I some important
things stored in, 3 ring binder is on top, and box had a lid on
it....here we go again....it stinks, urine

they are still using the litter boxes, Moe and/or Rudy seem to have a
thing for cardboard boxes, yet not all card board boxes...they'll use
some to play in....it's only boxes that have stuff in them and far as
know, only happened 2 times

is that possible?? to have a thing for card board boxes? they have a
thing for tiolet paper, if I don't keep it covered they shred it and
have urinated in it, that was an easy prob to take care of

there's no blood in the urine, it's not dark colored...they make no
noise when using the litter box

and they are indoor cats...what is best to remove the urine odor?

ensoul

jmc
October 9th 06, 04:23 AM
Suddenly, without warning, ensoul exclaimed (09-Oct-06 10:01 AM):
> 2 brothers year & half old, (neutered) they have 2 litter boxes, that
> are scooped every day...no change in type of litter, no change in diet
> (eating well), no change in thier behavior (being a bit rowdy but ppl
> in here said it was normal)...they drink plently of fresh water I have
> one of drinking foundations for them, playing well, loving
>
> had box under my futon w/ tools for my van, got it out and it
> stunk...sure enough urnine...threw the box away...washed all tools down
> in baking soda, soapy water, and a little bleach
>
> that was abt 2 weeks ago...today I go to get box I some important
> things stored in, 3 ring binder is on top, and box had a lid on
> it....here we go again....it stinks, urine
>
> they are still using the litter boxes, Moe and/or Rudy seem to have a
> thing for cardboard boxes, yet not all card board boxes...they'll use
> some to play in....it's only boxes that have stuff in them and far as
> know, only happened 2 times
>
> is that possible?? to have a thing for card board boxes? they have a
> thing for tiolet paper, if I don't keep it covered they shred it and
> have urinated in it, that was an easy prob to take care of
>
> there's no blood in the urine, it's not dark colored...they make no
> noise when using the litter box
>
> and they are indoor cats...what is best to remove the urine odor?
>

> ensoul

It'd be best to take them both in to the vet to be tested for cystitis
or other urinary problems (good you're looking for signs but as you
probably know, inappropriate urination is the first sign, and may be
there without any other symptoms) - that way you can eliminate that as a
possible cause and then deal with it as a psychological problem.

Cystitis is potentially deadly for male cats, so I'd definitely
eliminate this as a potential cause before investigating further!

For now, I'd be removing all your cardboard boxes from their easy reach,
until you can determine what's causing this change in behavior, and who
is doing it.

jmc

Rhonda
October 11th 06, 06:00 AM
Bladder infections are fairly rare in male cats -- although ours had
one. They more often have crystals in their urine.

I think your kitty needs to see a vet.

By the way, whatever happened to that problem with the mang? I hope that
was resolved.

Rhonda