PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless in London. HELP!

foggytown
October 9th 06, 02:24 PM
Hello, Group. I have a problem!

I have two cats - brother & sister, no specific breed, both about 3
years old. They are both house cats and aren't allowed outside. For
some months now the female (Laska) has refused to acknowledge that
night time is sleep time. She demands some kind of attention all
night. If I shut her out of the bedroom she tears up the carpet
outside the door. Or she has tantrums, or she creates "mess", etc.
She doesn't want to actually sleep with me, she wants to know that I'm
awake! It is really beginning to affect my health. I'm wondering if I
relent and let them both out whether this will alter her behaviour.
(Whether she could survive outside for long really worries me. No
street smarts.) Or maybe I should just dose her up with some sedative
every night until she gets into a new routine? Anyone have any
thoughts?

Many Thanx,
FoggyTown

Gail
October 9th 06, 02:30 PM
Don't let them outside. They will not live long. Have you tried feeding her
and tiring her out with play prior to going to sleep?? Also, has she been
checked by a vet to rule out any medical problems.
Gail
"foggytown" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello, Group. I have a problem!
>
> I have two cats - brother & sister, no specific breed, both about 3
> years old. They are both house cats and aren't allowed outside. For
> some months now the female (Laska) has refused to acknowledge that
> night time is sleep time. She demands some kind of attention all
> night. If I shut her out of the bedroom she tears up the carpet
> outside the door. Or she has tantrums, or she creates "mess", etc.
> She doesn't want to actually sleep with me, she wants to know that I'm
> awake! It is really beginning to affect my health. I'm wondering if I
> relent and let them both out whether this will alter her behaviour.
> (Whether she could survive outside for long really worries me. No
> street smarts.) Or maybe I should just dose her up with some sedative
> every night until she gets into a new routine? Anyone have any
> thoughts?
>
> Many Thanx,
> FoggyTown

Rene S.
October 9th 06, 07:19 PM
I agree with Gail. Do you have things to amuse her during the night
(cat tree, toys)? You can try hiding or putting out a new toy or a
paper bag so she'll have something to do.

October 10th 06, 03:55 PM
My cat used to do the same thing a while back. He would howl and run
about and get into stuff... anything he could do to wake me up. The
difference with him though, is that he is an indoor/outdoor cat.
Before bed every night he goes and lays on our patio for about an hour
or two and then comes in and goes to bed with him. I also have to feed
him before I go to sleep or he'll harass me until he has food. Once he
got in that habit he was fine... and he'll even come sleep with us
sometimes.

October 10th 06, 03:57 PM
....no he goes to bed with US... I wrote "him" for some reason... Also,
I forgot to add, it took a good month or two to get him into a new
habit... but it works!