PDA

View Full Version : How to get SOME furbabies to stop using ONE litterbox.

krazy
October 9th 06, 02:45 PM
I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
is the boss.

I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
bedroom when they start in on her.

Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
the time.

The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.

Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.

Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.

TIA

Spot
October 9th 06, 03:10 PM
I would try putting another box or two somewhere else.

Celeste

"krazy" > wrote in message

> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
> is the boss.
>
> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
> bedroom when they start in on her.
>
> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
> the time.
>
> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
>
> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
>
> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.
>
> TIA

krazy
October 9th 06, 04:43 PM
I already have a litter box in every room in my 4 room apartment
except the kitchen which I will not put one in. I DO NOT NEED MORE
BOXES but suggestions on how to get them to use the others that are
already there more.

Suggestions: Read original post before replying please.

>I would try putting another box or two somewhere else.
>

>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>> is the boss.
>>
>> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
>> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
>> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
>> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
>> bedroom when they start in on her.
>>
>> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
>> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
>> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
>> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
>> the time.
>>
>> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
>> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
>> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
>> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
>>
>> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
>> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
>> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
>> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
>> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
>> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
>>
>> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
>> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.
>>
>> TIA

Buddy's Mom
October 9th 06, 05:27 PM
Funny comment about the self-cleaning boxes. Thanks, I needed a laugh
today! I think 3-4 weeks is too long between dumping the litter, etc.
I have always changed the litter every week [and I do scoop several
times a day]. It never fails though - as soon as the weekly new litter
is in there - kitty runs to go in it. Try changing the litter once a
week and see if the problem improves.

krazy wrote:
> I already have a litter box in every room in my 4 room apartment
> except the kitchen which I will not put one in. I DO NOT NEED MORE
> BOXES but suggestions on how to get them to use the others that are
> already there more.
>
> Suggestions: Read original post before replying please.
>

> >I would try putting another box or two somewhere else.
> >

> >> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
> >> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
> >> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
> >> is the boss.
> >>
> >> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
> >> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
> >> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
> >> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
> >> bedroom when they start in on her.
> >>
> >> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
> >> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
> >> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
> >> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
> >> the time.
> >>
> >> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
> >> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
> >> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
> >> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
> >>
> >> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
> >> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
> >> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
> >> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
> >> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
> >> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
> >>
> >> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
> >> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.
> >>
> >> TIA

cybercat
October 9th 06, 06:16 PM
"krazy" > wrote in message

> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
> is the boss.
>
> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
> bedroom when they start in on her.
>
> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
> the time.
>
> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
>
> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
>
> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.

Shut the others out of your bedroom at night. And maybe try putting
some catnip-rubbed scratchers near the other boxes during the day?

Spot
October 9th 06, 10:04 PM
I did read your post and you don't say how many boxes you have just that you
want them to use the other boxes.................so don't snap my damned
head off for a legitimate solution to your problem.

Also try dumping the boxes and giving them fresh litter more than every 3 or
4 weeks. This isn't good enough for some cats and they will seek out
somewhere else to go. You should be thankful they are using the box and
not ****ing on your furniture. I know mine would be ****ing outside the box
if I didn't change the litter for 4 weeks.

Celeste

"krazy" > wrote in message

> I already have a litter box in every room in my 4 room apartment
> except the kitchen which I will not put one in. I DO NOT NEED MORE
> BOXES but suggestions on how to get them to use the others that are
> already there more.
>
> Suggestions: Read original post before replying please.
>

>>I would try putting another box or two somewhere else.
>>

>>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>>> is the boss.
>>>
>>> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
>>> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
>>> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
>>> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
>>> bedroom when they start in on her.
>>>
>>> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
>>> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
>>> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
>>> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
>>> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
>>> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
>>> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
>>>
>>> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
>>> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
>>> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
>>> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
>>> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
>>> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
>>>
>>> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
>>> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.
>>>
>>> TIA

krazy
October 9th 06, 10:18 PM
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:16:46 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"krazy" > wrote in message
>>

>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>> is the boss.
>>
>> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
>> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
>> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
>> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
>> bedroom when they start in on her.
>>
>> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
>> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
>> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
>> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
>> the time.
>>
>> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
>> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
>> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
>> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
>>
>> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
>> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
>> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
>> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
>> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
>> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
>>
>> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
>> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.
>>

>Shut the others out of your bedroom at night. And maybe try putting
>some catnip-rubbed scratchers near the other boxes during the day?

Someone else mentioned in an e-mail to me about a cat litter that is
supposed to attrack cats to it. I might try that also.

Matthew
October 9th 06, 10:47 PM
"krazy" > wrote in message

> I already have a litter box in every room in my 4 room apartment
> except the kitchen which I will not put one in. I DO NOT NEED MORE
> BOXES but suggestions on how to get them to use the others that are
> already there more.
>
> Suggestions: Read original post before replying please.

NO you need to learn not to snap at people when you don't provide all the
information. This is the internet we don't have a magical spyglass to see
in your house.

Learn to clean the boxes once a week not every 3 or 4 weeks. I have
multiple boxes around 10 for 6 cats. 3 are litter maids they get changed a
min. of once a week. Scooped daily or when necessary. I use cheap litter
from wal-mart $2.22 a bag 30 lbs. the litter maid use a off brand also. I
add baking powder to the bottom under the garbage bag sleeve.

You actually do need more boxes the ratio is 2 regular boxes to every cat
or one self cleaning plus one regular for every 2 cats

It is real funny I have been around cats for over 50 years worked in
rescue, shelters multiple volunteer work. I have a box in bedroom one
actually right behind me in my work space hooby room. None of them smell
unless one of the cats lets a good noise breaker out. I changed the litter
weekly and scooped when needed. People have come to the house (non cat
people) and don't have any idea we have cats until one pokes their head out
to see who the stranger is

Do you realize that the scent left in cat's urine even if cleaned can still
be smelled by the other cats and it might be causing it to be a detterant to
the other cats specailly if they are not fixed.

Don't clean your toliet bowl for a month see how you like standing over it
or sitting on it to do your business.

>>I would try putting another box or two somewhere else.
>>

>>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>>> is the boss.
>>>
>>> I keep food and water in the bedroom so she can eat without keeping
>>> watch over her shoulder for the others to ambush her. I took her in
>>> at 4 or 5 years old as a stray so I know she can/could take care of
>>> herself because she had to on the street but now she just runs for her
>>> bedroom when they start in on her.
>>>
>>> Thing is that I did not put a litter box in her room because I figured
>>> then she might never come out. Well it got to the point where she
>>> could not go without the others stalking her so I finally put a box in
>>> the bedroom and she was able to go and eat in peace the majority of
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> The thing is that now they all seem to want to use the box in the
>>> bedroom which is okay except at night when they all decide to use it
>>> and REALLY stink the bedroom up and make a mess on the floor. Many
>>> times I have gotten up and cleaned the box and vacuumed around it.
>>>
>>> Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other boxes
>>> more?? They all have the same type of litter, are completely emptied
>>> and cleaned at the same intervals which is usually every 3 or 4 weeks,
>>> are scooped everytime I see or smell them using them (Except when I am
>>> gone or sleeping), are easily accessable (Not hidden or hard to get
>>> at), and all boxes are the same type of old fasioned litter boxes.
>>>
>>> Before someone suggests self cleaning boxes I tryed them and they are
>>> scared ****less (No pun meant) and would not use them.
>>>
>>> TIA

Matthew
October 9th 06, 10:55 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

Now there is also several thing you can do to change this.

One clean the boxes more often that is a must not an option
Two try scented litter brand
Three try a diffrent brand of litter of even a type if the scented doesn't
work
Fourth there is a brand that can attract cats find it at the pet store
Fifth Make sure all the boxes are not in a traffic area or in a noisy
area or where they eat at. If they are covered boxes
remove the tops
Sixth IF YOU CAN Do try the self cleaning give the cats a chance to get
used to it ours took about 3 weeks to get used to it.
Scared them senseless the first week but they tried it and use it more
often than the other boxes.

Hope this works Good luck

krazy
October 10th 06, 12:13 AM

>> I already have a litter box in every room in my 4 room apartment
>> except the kitchen which I will not put one in. I DO NOT NEED MORE
>> BOXES but suggestions on how to get them to use the others that are
>> already there more.
>>
>> Suggestions: Read original post before replying please.
>>

>NO you need to learn not to snap at people when you don't provide all the
>information. This is the internet we don't have a magical spyglass to see
>in your house.

I did not mean to snap at anyone even though it may have come accross
like that.

By reading the original post I meant to point out that I had asked
"Question is how to get the younger ones to start using the other
boxes more?? " which I had in the original post. By others meaning
the boxes I have.

I have always changed litter every 3 to four weeks with no problem and
even after completely emptying and cleaning all boxes when adding the
bedroom box and they still all used the bedroom box rather then all of
the boxes.

Snittens
October 10th 06, 03:22 PM
"krazy" > wrote in message

> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
> is the boss.

<snip>

I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone else
thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the problem.
It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was just that the
box upstairs was more convenient.

Kelly

Wendy
October 10th 06, 04:41 PM
"Snittens" > wrote in message

> "krazy" > wrote in message
>>

>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>> is the boss.
>
> <snip>
>
> I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
> able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
> have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone
> else thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the
> problem. It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was
> just that the box upstairs was more convenient.
>
> Kelly

I sometimes wonder if it offends the "young turks" to have a box that
doesn't smell like them.

Lynne
October 10th 06, 05:20 PM
Snittens wrote:
> "krazy" > wrote in message
> >

> > I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
> > 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
> > because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
> > is the boss.
>
> <snip>
>
> I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
> able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
> have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone else
> thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the problem.
> It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was just that the
> box upstairs was more convenient.
>
> Kelly

If shutting the bedroom door and keeping the youngsters away from the
favorite spot isn't an option, what about just giving in and moving one
of your other boxes into the bathroom with the object of everyone's
potty desires? Maybe it wouldn't be as messy and crowded? Short of
shutting the door, I don't see many other effective options.

Also, FWIW, I think 3-4 weeks is way too long to wait to clean a box
out. I scoop daily and wash weekly. I have 3 boxes and use 2 at a
time, so I never have to completely remove one. If your boxes are
covered and you are going that long between cleaning, stick your head
in there and then you'll know what it's like for your kitties... if you
don't want to stick your head in there, why make your cats? Better yet,
remove the covers so you can 'enjoy' the odor with them and perhaps
that will persuade you to clean them more often.

krazy
October 10th 06, 05:26 PM
>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>> is the boss.
>
><snip>
>
>I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
>able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
>have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone else
>thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the problem.
>It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was just that the
>box upstairs was more convenient.
>
>Kelly

Guess I will just have to get used to them all using the one in the
bedroom even if it stinks me out at night !! :-(

Thing is they have to go right past one of the others to get to the
one in the nedroom and they are exactly the same type of box with same
type of litter.

Cats ! I don't think I will ever understand them or figure them out !

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions everyone.

krazy
October 10th 06, 05:29 PM
>> > I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>> > 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>> > because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>> > is the boss.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
>> able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
>> have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone else
>> thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the problem.
>> It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was just that the
>> box upstairs was more convenient.
>>
>> Kelly

>If shutting the bedroom door and keeping the youngsters away from the
>favorite spot isn't an option, what about just giving in and moving one
>of your other boxes into the bathroom with the object of everyone's
>potty desires? Maybe it wouldn't be as messy and crowded? Short of
>shutting the door, I don't see many other effective options.

Now that is an idea!! Never thought of that.

Thanks.

Matthew
October 10th 06, 07:09 PM
"krazy" > wrote in message

>>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>>> is the boss.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
>>able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
>>have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone
>>else
>>thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the
>>problem.
>>It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was just that
>>the
>>box upstairs was more convenient.
>>
>>Kelly
>

> Guess I will just have to get used to them all using the one in the
> bedroom even if it stinks me out at night !! :-(
>
> Thing is they have to go right past one of the others to get to the
> one in the nedroom and they are exactly the same type of box with same
> type of litter.
>
> Cats ! I don't think I will ever understand them or figure them out !
>
> Thanks for all the replies and suggestions everyone.

krazy If we could figure them out what fun would it being owned by them
might as well have a dog.

I have a saying since I am a man I can say this.

Cats are like woman never try to figure them out just go with the flow
you sleep better

dgk
October 10th 06, 07:27 PM
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:26:42 GMT, krazy > wrote:

>>> I have 4 furbabies of which 3 are like 4 or 5 years old and 1 is like
>>> 15 or 16 years old. The older one mostly hangs out in the bedroom
>>> because the other harrass (SP) her when she comes out but in there she
>>> is the boss.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>I had a similar thing happen when my cat Dash was in her last days and not
>>able to move around very well. I put a litterbox upstairs so she wouldn't
>>have to go all the way to the basement to use the box. Well, everyone else
>>thought it was great and used it too. I never really did solve the problem.
>>It didn't matter how clean or not clean the boxes were, it was just that the
>>box upstairs was more convenient.
>>
>>Kelly
>

>Guess I will just have to get used to them all using the one in the
>bedroom even if it stinks me out at night !! :-(
>
>Thing is they have to go right past one of the others to get to the
>one in the nedroom and they are exactly the same type of box with same
>type of litter.
>
>Cats ! I don't think I will ever understand them or figure them out !
>
>Thanks for all the replies and suggestions everyone.

The one litterbox that I have for two cats doesn't smell. I use
scoopable litter (whatever is on sale at Target) and clean it once or
twice a day. No cover on it. If I forget, I notice that it's looking a
bit messy and take care of it.

One thing I've noticed about the smell is that using crappy cat food
makes a much worse smell. If I use Whiskas or something it just
stinks. If I use ProPlan or Wellness, no stink.